Forum Jump: 

post #1531 of 1554 Old 11-25-2014, 12:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGA View Post
I recently bought a used a DMP-BDT220 off eBay to test its 24p output for streaming. It is a bit clunky but does actually work. The Netflix interface is very slow by today's standards, so I bought a DMP-BDT225 (stated to be identical to the DMP-BDT230) off Amazon for half price.

Unfortuantely it cannot stream at 24p. You can still play BDs at 24p, but not Netflix or Amazon. The interface on the DMP-BDT225 is improved and it is much faster, so it is a real shame that it cannot stream 24p.

With the awkward way it is implemented on the DMP-BDT220 for streaming I am not sure it was ever intended to be used with streaming.

I wonder what the big problem is with streaming 24p or streaming "direct."
I too am'm currently in the market for a blu-ray player which does network apps (netflix/amazon) at 24-30hz. I've tried
several of them, including the Panasonic DMP-BD225 you spoke of. What a great player, slick interface, fast! but
as you said: it will do dvd's and blu-rays at 24p, but not network apps. I also read that the older model
(DMP-BD220) would allow you to force network apps at 24hz.

I've personally used two Blu-Ray players that will output netflix/amazon at 24p:

Vizio VBR122 - Not a great player. Constant issues, slow interface, doesn't play all Blu-Rays. Bad reveiws on amazon.
However I've personally verified that it will do the network apps at 24 hz. (it also has a full mini-keyboard on the
back side of the remote which I think is a cool feature).

Samsung BD-H6500 - 4k upscalling version of latest samsung blu-ray players. It seems to me that any of the Samsungs
that have the Samsung Smart-Hub as opposed to the Opera app store will allow you to output network apps at 24p. I'm
not sure though, I've only personally verified the H6500.

I've tried a few other players, including the panasonic mentioned above and a couple of cheaper samsungs. They will
not output netflix or amazon at 24. I've also read the same about Sony blu-ray players, although not verified it
myself.

Any suggestions out there?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1532 of 1554 Old 11-25-2014, 12:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
Liked: 783
DMP-BDT220 does allow you to force 24p output for IVOD apps but you have to enter a menu and enable 24p output every time you run an app before you start playing a title; it stays enabled until you exit the app. The same thing is true for DVDs; you have to enable 24p output after the DVD starts up. BDs automatically play in 24p if you've enabled that in the global settings (which you have to do to get the option to force it for DVDs and IVOD).

I'm surprised that they didn't carry that feature forward into future models (or even refine it such that you don't have to explicitly enable it).

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #1533 of 1554 Old 11-25-2014, 12:53 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I've never had a problem with Roku. Been using it for years, never even replaced the devices (have them in a couple rooms)
post #1534 of 1554 Old 11-25-2014, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicdeth View Post
I've never had a problem with Roku. Been using it for years, never even replaced the devices (have them in a couple rooms)
Does this mean that roku will do 24p for netflix/amazon or other network streaming apps?
post #1535 of 1554 Old 11-25-2014, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccfallout View Post
Does this mean that roku will do 24p for netflix/amazon or other network streaming apps?
No. It only outputs at 60HZ

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #1536 of 1554 Old 11-25-2014, 02:16 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 448 Post(s)
Liked: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post
No. It only outputs at 60HZ

Ian
The Roku streaming stick that works in conjunction with late model Oppo Blu-ray players outputs 24p.
post #1537 of 1554 Old 11-25-2014, 02:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
The Roku streaming stick that works in conjunction with late model Oppo Blu-ray players outputs 24p.

Being the MHL stick which only works with rare MHL ports. I don't believe that the new HDMI stick outputs 24p.

post #1538 of 1554 Old 11-25-2014, 05:38 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
Being the MHL stick which only works with rare MHL ports. I don't believe that the new HDMI stick outputs 24p.
I don't think it does either. With the Oppo/Roku stick you can use the Oppo remote so it's basically an integrated Roku app with 24p output along with DD+ audio and is accessed right from the Oppo home-screen. Use a right angle HDMI adapter and it's very unobtrusive plugged into the front port.
post #1539 of 1554 Old 11-25-2014, 05:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I don't think it does either. With the Oppo/Roku stick you can use the Oppo remote so it's basically an integrated Roku app with 24p output along with DD+ audio and is accessed right from the Oppo home-screen. Use a right angle HDMI adapter and it's very unobtrusive plugged into the front port.

I guess that since ccfallout is looking for a BDP with 24p Internet VOD output the Oppo+Roku MHL Stick is an alternative, albeit a very expensive one.

post #1540 of 1554 Old 11-25-2014, 06:14 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
I guess that since ccfallout is looking for a BDP with 24p Internet VOD output the Oppo+Roku MHL Stick is an alternative, albeit a very expensive one.
True, but worth every penny IMO. The media player function of it, while not as pretty UI-wise as others(basic drive/folder/file layout), has handled just about every file I've thrown at it with grace, something my WDTV Live was not always capable of. I've since parked my WDTV in a storage cabinet and my Roku 3 is likely headed to that storage cabinet as well. Plus, if he/she goes with the D model you get $300(retail) Darbee processing for only $100 over the base model Oppo. I've owned 3 Oppos previously and all of them have been worth the price paid. They also hold their value extremely well. End of sales pitch!
post #1541 of 1554 Old 11-26-2014, 07:54 AM

Quote:
True, but worth every penny IMO. The media player function of it, while not as pretty UI-wise as others(basic drive/folder/file layout), has handled just about every file I've thrown at it with grace, something my WDTV Live was not always capable of. I've since parked my WDTV in a storage cabinet and my Roku 3 is likely headed to that storage cabinet as well. Plus, if he/she goes with the D model you get $300(retail) Darbee processing for only $100 over the base model Oppo. I've owned 3 Oppos previously and all of them have been worth the price paid. They also hold their value extremely well. End of sales pitch!
Thanks for the suggestions. Looking at the Oppo players that you are referring to (BD-103 and BD-105 I think?) that are compatible with Roku stick, the prices are a bit out of my range. $500-$1400 range for the player. Then about $50 for the stick. The Samsung i was looking at is $117 this week due to black friday type sales. I understandthe Oppo player is of much better quality, and is a much more capable media player, but this time of year it's difficult to drop a k on yourself, if ya know what I mean.

Researching the subject here and elsewhere, it appears that my only other options would be WDLive which doesn't do Amazon Prime (or even netflix in the newest model), or Tivo which requires a subscription. Strange that more devices won't do 24hz. Especially considering my 2011 Vizio blu-ray player can do it.
I think I'm gonna stick with the samsung for now, unless I can find the older model panasonic from a reliable vendor with a return policy/warranty.
post #1542 of 1554 Old 11-26-2014, 11:34 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions. Looking at the Oppo players that you are referring to (BD-103 and BD-105 I think?) that are compatible with Roku stick, the prices are a bit out of my range. $500-$1400 range for the player. Then about $50 for the stick. The Samsung i was looking at is $117 this week due to black friday type sales. I understandthe Oppo player is of much better quality, and is a much more capable media player, but this time of year it's difficult to drop a k on yourself, if ya know what I mean.

Researching the subject here and elsewhere, it appears that my only other options would be WDLive which doesn't do Amazon Prime (or even netflix in the newest model), or Tivo which requires a subscription. Strange that more devices won't do 24hz. Especially considering my 2011 Vizio blu-ray player can do it.
I think I'm gonna stick with the samsung for now, unless I can find the older model panasonic from a reliable vendor with a return policy/warranty.
If your focus is 24p for Internet apps and the Samsung does what you want for $117 then that would be the way to go, hard to justify another $400-$500 for the Oppo.

For the record the Oppo I was referring to is the BDP-103D, the non-Darbee model is $100 less. The 105 models have an enhanced audio section.
post #1543 of 1554 Old 11-26-2014, 05:56 PM
GGA
Advanced Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
I too am'm currently in the market for a blu-ray player which does network apps (netflix/amazon) at 24-30hz. I've tried
several of them, including the Panasonic DMP-BD225 you spoke of. What a great player, slick interface, fast! but
as you said: it will do dvd's and blu-rays at 24p, but not network apps. I also read that the older model
(DMP-BD220) would allow you to force network apps at 24hz.

I've personally used two Blu-Ray players that will output netflix/amazon at 24p:

Samsung BD-H6500 - 4k upscalling version of latest samsung blu-ray players. It seems to me that any of the Samsungs
that have the Samsung Smart-Hub as opposed to the Opera app store will allow you to output network apps at 24p. I'm
not sure though, I've only personally verified the H6500.
How does the Samsung BD-H6500 implement 24p for streaming? Does it automatically detect the framerate and output accordingly or do you have to manually implement it? Will it send out 480p streaming for Netflix SD 480p?

Thanks.
post #1544 of 1554 Old 11-29-2014, 08:47 AM

Quote:
How does the Samsung BD-H6500 implement 24p for streaming? Does it automatically detect the framerate and output accordingly or do you have to manually implement it? Will it send out 480p streaming for Netflix SD 480p?

Thanks.
The samsung, like my 2011 vizio has a setting that must be manually implemented. Once you set picture mode to UHD, everything outputs at 1080p / 24hz - physical media and streaming services. (The menu itself is the exception, the UHD starts when the movie/show starts). This mode persists even after powerdown. I'm unsure about 480p content. I'll have to test it out. 2011 vizio VBR122 does what it calls 'film mode', once enabled EVERYTHING goes to 24hz, incl. the menu and UI. It acutally looks pretty good and I'd be content to stick with that except for the old versions of streaming apps (netflix/amazon) with terrible UIs. Kills the deal.

From what I've read the older model Pannasonic has a setting that must be enabled every time you power on the device. The new pannasonics have taken away this option. 24hz can only be enabled for blu-rays and DVDs. It's a shame because they make a good player.
post #1545 of 1554 Old 11-29-2014, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 353
When a streaming device or player outputs 24p the TV does the processing, when outputting 60p, it's obviously the device that's refreshing the frame rate. Therefore, it's the device and the TV you are using, that determines which way produces the best results. Like many people on this forum I have the TV do all the processing which may be preferable, but not in all cases. I notice a significant difference when setting my Blu-Ray player to output 24p on my Plasma, but I have also found that when using my Roku, which only outputs 60p, there is little effect on over all PQ in comparison to the smart app on my TV, when converting the 24p stream it receives to 60.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #1546 of 1554 Old 11-29-2014, 04:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
From what I've read the older model Pannasonic has a setting that must be enabled every time you power on the device.

Not exactly; there's a persistent global setting which gets you 24Hz output for BD playback without touching it again. With that setting on, there's an additional setting that you have to enable to get 24Hz output from DVDs and to get 24Hz output from Internet VOD apps like Netflix, Amazon and VUDU. You have to turn that on every time you run an IVOD app, though it stays on if you play multiple titles without leaving the app. You start Netflix, turn it on while viewing the browser and it will output everything that you play at 24Hz until you exit Netflix. If you then reenter Netflix or any other IVOD app without turning off the BDP you have to turn that option on again. That's the way that it works on my DMP-BDT220 and BDT110; sad that they've removed the option instead of refining it to remove the requirement of turning it on repeatedly.

post #1547 of 1554 Old 11-29-2014, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Not exactly; there's a persistent global setting which gets you 24Hz output for BD playback without touching it again. With that setting on, there's an additional setting that you have to enable to get 24Hz output from DVDs and to get 24Hz output from Internet VOD apps like Netflix, Amazon and VUDU. You have to turn that on every time you run an IVOD app, though it stays on if you play multiple titles without leaving the app. You start Netflix, turn it on while viewing the browser and it will output everything that you play at 24Hz until you exit Netflix. If you then reenter Netflix or any other IVOD app without turning off the BDP you have to turn that option on again. That's the way that it works on my DMP-BDT220 and BDT110; sad that they've removed the option instead of refining it to remove the requirement of turning it on repeatedly.
Is it a difficult setting to get to? A big hassle to do it every time? Reason I ask is that my buddy has a BDT220, and he wants to trade me for the 225 I bought but was going to return. The downside is I loose the manufacturers warranty, but he generally takes good care of things so I think it should be ok. Both players seem to have similar specs and capabilities, the UI and even the remote look the same.
post #1548 of 1554 Old 11-29-2014, 09:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Is it a difficult setting to get to? A big hassle to do it every time?

Mmmm...define "hassle" . It's the 7th item in the 2nd sub-menu, so you push SUB-MENU, DOWN, OK, DOWN x 6, OK, UP, OK, BACK, BACK--14 remote button presses in total. Takes about 15 seconds (plus however long your television takes to adapt to the change in signal frequency, but you can hit BACK, BACK while it's doing that); I don't consider it to be any big deal. You can't program modern day Harmony remotes to do all that in a button press or I would.

post #1549 of 1554 Old 11-30-2014, 12:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked: 428
Quote:
...You can't program modern day Harmony remotes to do all that in a button press or I would.
Actually you can. They raised the squence limit from 5 to 25 steps a while back. Should work on any current Harmony that does sequences, but no older models (One, etc.). For $17 on ebay, you can get an Xsight Color, which is about equivalent to a One but does unlimited sequence steps.

Moot point for the OP anyway since he's choosing between two essentially identical players. He'll either have to do the sequence or live without 24p (oh, the horror!).
post #1550 of 1554 Old 11-30-2014, 01:26 PM
GGA
Advanced Member

Quote:
Mmmm...define "hassle" . It's the 7th item in the 2nd sub-menu, so you push SUB-MENU, DOWN, OK, DOWN x 6, OK, UP, OK, BACK, BACK--14 remote button presses in total. Takes about 15 seconds (plus however long your television takes to adapt to the change in signal frequency, but you can hit BACK, BACK while it's doing that); I don't consider it to be any big deal. You can't program modern day Harmony remotes to do all that in a button press or I would.
You can replace the DOWNx6 with UPx2 (it wraps). Saves you 4 button presses!
post #1551 of 1554 Old 11-30-2014, 01:27 PM
GGA
Advanced Member

Quote:
Is it a difficult setting to get to? A big hassle to do it every time? Reason I ask is that my buddy has a BDT220, and he wants to trade me for the 225 I bought but was going to return. The downside is I loose the manufacturers warranty, but he generally takes good care of things so I think it should be ok. Both players seem to have similar specs and capabilities, the UI and even the remote look the same.
The UI is much faster on the 225. The remotes are similar and interchangeable but not identical.
post #1552 of 1554 Old 11-30-2014, 01:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
You can replace the DOWNx6 with UPx2 (it wraps). Saves you 4 button presses!

You're right--I never noticed that! Thanks (not that it's likely that I'll ever use the BDT220 for IVOD again, but still ).

So "SUB-MENU DOWN OK UP UP OK UP OK BACK BACK", 10 remote button presses .

post #1553 of 1554 Old 11-30-2014, 01:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
Actually you can. They raised the squence limit from 5 to 25 steps a while back. Should work on any current Harmony that does sequences, but no older models (One, etc.).

Mine is a Harmony One; they haven't released a model since that one that I find appealing, given their bizarre placement of transport buttons above a larger touchscreen. I imagine that it's really easy to palm that touchscreen while using those buttons.

My first Harmony was the pre-Logitech SST-768 (I still have it and it still works; you could optionally make complex extensions to the programming of that one with XML code, though they later removed access to that). Then the Logitech Harmony Xbox 360 Remote, followed by the Harmony One. I've considered buying a Harmony 900 just for the red-green-yellow-blue hard buttons, the one being the only post Logitech remote they've made without them; rather than going down in price due to age, new 900s are scarce and expensive.

Last edited by michaeltscott; 11-30-2014 at 02:05 PM.
post #1554 of 1554 Old 11-30-2014, 02:01 PM
AVS Club Gold

I still have and use two Harmony 880's and I find that it does everything I need it to, although it would be rather nice if it could be programmed with longer sequences, I've come across several scenarios where those extra button presses would have been nice in a sequence. Agree that the newer model Harmony's don't seem to be as intuitive as the older models, haven't seen one I like better than the 880 yet.
Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

Tags
Samsung Bd D6700 3d Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread - D6700 by PriceGrabber.com