Best possible Netflix streaming device - Page 55 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
post #1621 of 1638 Old 02-20-2015, 12:57 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandeBoma View Post
I had to read the whole thread to understand that my best bet to have both netflix and amazon 1080p 5.1 dd+ 24p without having to subscribe to tivo was a samsung player and it was hell to read the whole information available on the net to find out which was the cheapest device of the samsung series to perform all that. I was going to go with h5500 but I found out just in time about the its lack of smarthub apps (saved 80 bucks) and got the h6500 instead
I asked as you mentioned F series and I don't believe the F series plasmas display 24fps with their Smart TV embedded Netflix app so I wondered what it was that you read that said they do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1622 of 1638 Old 02-20-2015, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 577 Post(s)
Liked: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
I asked as you mentioned F series and I don't believe the F series plasmas display 24fps with their Smart TV embedded Netflix app so I wondered what it was that you read that said they do.
I think he was referring to apps on Blu-Ray players... not 100% sure that's what he meant.

My main setup Onkyo TX-NR 1030 7.2.4 /Onkyo M-5010 Amplifier for top middle/ Samsung PN60E8000 / Directv genie / Panasonic 3D blu-ray Bic Acoustech speakers,MICCA M-8S FH/TM on wall / in ceiling speakers / 2 Bic F12 subs
10' X 15' DEN Onkyo TX-NR 737 5.2.2 Atmos / Acoustic Audio 151B Indoor/Outdoor Speakers top middle on Ceiling Speakers/ Samsung PN51F5500 / Directv Genie / Panasonic 3D blu-ray /
post #1623 of 1638 Old 02-20-2015, 02:55 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargervais View Post
I think he was referring to apps on Blu-Ray players... not 100% sure that's what he meant.
That does appear to be the case, I wasn't sure either.
post #1624 of 1638 Old 02-20-2015, 03:20 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
Ok, here it is: My friend has no Roku, he uses the wifi dongle that comes with his 103.
In the past he was streamiing Netflix and getting HD @ 720p (occasional dropouts but tolerable).
But now, his dongle is not flashing green anymore, and Netflix is @ 240 on average (480 @ best and down to 188).
Also, now Netflix is stopping all the time (up to ten times or more per each movie) and he's waiting five minutes each time during "buffering".

So, he just gave up on Netflix, and went to get his VCR machine with his VHS tapes in his attic.

His question to me was: What the heck is going on; before it was fine, now it's hell (Netflix streaming wirelessly though Oppo 103 using only the wifi dongle, connected to the USB port number one @ the back), and everything else is ok (modem, router, Ethernet, speed, all that jazz).

Is there a setting in his Oppo 103 machine to restore a good Netflix connection like he used to?
Does he have to cancel his account and start all over or what?
Does it have anything to do with performing firmware updates?

Thank you so much for your advice Mike, in advance, and with my very best regards from one to another Canadian.
Hey no trouble. Unfortunately every other thing I was going to mention has already been brought up, except that I'd test Netflix on a computer to make sure it isn't the isp throttling, and if not I'd put the router in a clear line of sight to the oppo and try streaming something other than Netflix to make sure the dongle is still fine. I'm guessing the light is flashing a different colour because of a lower speed connection so I'd be suspicious of that.

Oppo BDP-105
Bryston 3B-ST 2ch on mains, Lexicon 512 5ch
PSB Stratus Gold mains, C6i center
Rythmik FV15HP
Paradigm ADP-370 surrounds
cheap energy rear speakers
post #1625 of 1638 Old 02-20-2015, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 3431 Post(s)
Liked: 1177
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepos View Post
Hey no trouble. Unfortunately every other thing I was going to mention has already been brought up, except that I'd test Netflix on a computer to make sure it isn't the isp throttling, and if not I'd put the router in a clear line of sight to the oppo and try streaming something other than Netflix to make sure the dongle is still fine. I'm guessing the light is flashing a different colour because of a lower speed connection so I'd be suspicious of that.
He did all of that; streaming Neflix from his PC, Mac, laptop, tablet, iPad, iPhone, other BD players (Sony, Samsung), all wireless;
and only his Oppo 103, wireless too (using the wifi dongle with USB cable & base) is giving him very poor quality picture.
All his other devices (all wireless) no problemo @ all.

His router is @ the perfect place in his room, near the center and four feet high.

Here's the thing: Before he performed the latest firmware update, his Netflix streaming was fine, in HD @ 720p and without interruptions.
Now it is hell, radically. ...His movies stopped all the time, up to a dozen times in the first ten minutes or so, ad with picture quality (188i), often, that is worse than VHS tapes. ...Simply put: Netflix streaming unwatchable, and life's aggravating/irritating experience. Better toss it for good.

* The light I was referring to before is the green flashing light of the Oppo's dongle (small USB plastic stick alike). ...That's all.
And it has been now established that it doesn't flash anymore @ all if you have updated your firmware.
Perhaps when he did that last firmware update he should have disconnected the dongle and USB extension cord?
Maybe Oppo expert technical support team know some that we don't? ...I still have to find out directly from them.

I am 100% certain that someone knows. ...I still haven't found the one who has that answer. ...So for now my friend will keep watching his VHS tapes.

Mike, thanks.
post #1626 of 1638 Old 02-20-2015, 09:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
He did all of that; streaming Neflix from his PC, Mac, laptop, tablet, iPad, iPhone, other BD players (Sony, Samsung), all wireless;
and only his Oppo 103, wireless too (using the wifi dongle with USB cable & base) is giving him very poor quality picture.
All his other devices (all wireless) no problemo @ all.

His router is @ the perfect place in his room, near the center and four feet high.

Here's the thing: Before he performed the latest firmware update, his Netflix streaming was fine, in HD @ 720p and without interruptions.
Now it is hell, radically. ...His movies stopped all the time, up to a dozen times in the first ten minutes or so, ad with picture quality (188i), often, that is worse than VHS tapes. ...Simply put: Netflix streaming unwatchable, and life's aggravating/irritating experience. Better toss it for good.

* The light I was referring to before is the green flashing light of the Oppo's dongle (small USB plastic stick alike). ...That's all.
And it has been now established that it doesn't flash anymore @ all if you have updated your firmware.
Perhaps when he did that last firmware update he should have disconnected the dongle and USB extension cord?
Maybe Oppo expert technical support team know some that we don't? ...I still have to find out directly from them.

I am 100% certain that someone knows. ...I still haven't found the one who has that answer. ...So for now my friend will keep watching his VHS tapes.

Mike, thanks.
That is bizarre to me that you spend that kind of money for an Oppo and you have to use a dongle for Wi-Fi..... do you have a friend that has a dongle you could borrow to rule out if it's the dongle....

My main setup Onkyo TX-NR 1030 7.2.4 /Onkyo M-5010 Amplifier for top middle/ Samsung PN60E8000 / Directv genie / Panasonic 3D blu-ray Bic Acoustech speakers,MICCA M-8S FH/TM on wall / in ceiling speakers / 2 Bic F12 subs
10' X 15' DEN Onkyo TX-NR 737 5.2.2 Atmos / Acoustic Audio 151B Indoor/Outdoor Speakers top middle on Ceiling Speakers/ Samsung PN51F5500 / Directv Genie / Panasonic 3D blu-ray /
post #1627 of 1638 Old 02-20-2015, 10:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
That is bizarre to me that you spend that kind of money for an Oppo and you have to use a dongle for Wi-Fi..... do you have a friend that has a dongle you could borrow to rule out if it's the dongle....
1. An Oppo BD player starts @ only $499 (that is extremely cheap compared to high-end players costing $10,000).
2. My friend tried my dongle; same thing.

______

Anyone here using an Oppo's dongle to stream Netflix wirelessly?
I thought so; my friend is the only one to do so. But you know what; there is nothing wrong with that, it can work fantastically as much as if it was hard wired directly with an Ethernet cable.

So, what is the very best possible Netflix streaming device? ...Wirelessly. ...AVR, SSP, HDTV, UHD TV, BD player, separate movie/music streamer device, movie server, which brand of BD player, which brand of HDTV, which year, model number, ...? ...And for the very best possible price (below say $10,000).
post #1628 of 1638 Old 02-21-2015, 12:25 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
1. An Oppo BD player starts @ only $499 (that is extremely cheap compared to high-end players costing $10,000).

______

I thought so; my friend is the only one to do so. But you know what; there is nothing wrong with that, it can work fantastically as much as if it was hard wired directly with an Ethernet cable.

So, what is the very best possible Netflix streaming device? ...Wirelessly. ...AVR, SSP, HDTV, UHD TV, BD player, separate movie/music streamer device, movie server, which brand of BD player, which brand of HDTV, which year, model number, ...? ...And for the very best possible price (below say $10,000).
Impossible to say, especially with only 6/mbps download speed. First thing he needs to do is to increase his Internet speed, 6/mbps is simply not fast enough, Netflix recommends 5/mbps for just 720p HD streams and if his service tops out at 6 it means he's actually getting less than that via wifi due to overhead.

I haven't seen it stated yet, does his streaming problem go away if he connects the router/modem directly to the Oppo? Put the dog in the garage, the car, back yard, in a room with door closed, anywhere long enough to determine if the service works fine hard wired.

Again though, if the service tops out at 6/mbps then he's basically wasting his time trying to get full 1080p HD streams with Netflix.
bargervais likes this.
post #1629 of 1638 Old 02-21-2015, 03:41 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
That does appear to be the case, I wasn't sure either.
yes it is, I was unaware there was also a tv f serie and anyway I do not believe changing tv is an option to get netflix 24p because it would not allow use with a projector
post #1630 of 1638 Old 02-21-2015, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

______

http://www.head-fi.org/t/459204/ayre...adged-500-oppo

Here is yet another rebadged oppo player that is selling for far more then what oppo charges for it. Ayre admits to changing nothing in the digital, HDMI, and video processing department so it is nothing more then a "snake oil" mod. With the new OPPO BDP-83 SE this ayre player is using the old DAC's and not the new ESS DAC's so you are paying $10,000 for less

post #1631 of 1638 Old 02-21-2015, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Just in case you haven't looked at the "license" pages of your BD players (and probably true of other streaming devices) you'll see a GNU license since they most all run on top of embedded Linux. The apps run with Java since that was part of the BD format so that studios could implement their own custom DRM checks. And I suspect many are running webviews on top of that to make apps easier to implement and update running HTML5 and Javascript with hooks to run Java (like you can with Android).
post #1632 of 1638 Old 02-21-2015, 10:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/459204/ayre...adged-500-oppo

Here is yet another rebadged oppo player that is selling for far more then what oppo charges for it. Ayre admits to changing nothing in the digital, HDMI, and video processing department so it is nothing more then a "snake oil" mod. With the new OPPO BDP-83 SE this ayre player is using the old DAC's and not the new ESS DAC's so you are paying $10,000 for less
I have read reviews of that Ayre player; a very nice hi-end player, with real audiophile sound and picture.

Does it stream Netflix too?
post #1633 of 1638 Old 02-21-2015, 10:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
Just in case you haven't looked at the "license" pages of your BD players (and probably true of other streaming devices) you'll see a GNU license since they most all run on top of embedded Linux. The apps run with Java since that was part of the BD format so that studios could implement their own custom DRM checks. And I suspect many are running webviews on top of that to make apps easier to implement and update running HTML5 and Javascript with hooks to run Java (like you can with Android).
Good or bad?
post #1634 of 1638 Old 02-22-2015, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I have read reviews of that Ayre player; a very nice hi-end player, with real audiophile sound and picture.

Does it stream Netflix too?
Did you read that article... that $10,000 Ayre player is just snake oil...besides who would spend that kind of money...... same sound and picture quality as a $500.00 Oppo and I personally would not spend more than $200.00
tubetwister likes this.

post #1635 of 1638 Old 02-22-2015, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Good or bad?
Smart. How would you like your BD Player running on a version of Windows?

Linux is very solid and free. My first BD player, the Sony BDP-300 took two minutes to boot up do to booting Linux first. A lot of companies will customize their own version of embedded Linux. Plus there is also the option to use the Android SDK too. I think some of the Smart TVs are already using it.
post #1636 of 1638 Old 02-22-2015, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Did you read that article... that $10,000 Ayre player is just snake oil...besides who would spend that kind of money...... same sound and picture quality as a $500.00 Oppo and I personally would not spend more than $200.00
Michael Fremer I believed reviewed it before, for Stereophile.

♦ He sure did: http://www.stereophile.com/content/a...al-disc-player

And he wasn't the only one to review it:

* http://www.ultraaudio.com/index.php/...e-acoustics-dx..

* http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...rsal-av-engine

* www.theaudiobeat.com/blog/ayre_dx5_dsd.htm

Last edited by NorthSky; 02-22-2015 at 03:11 PM. Reason: ♦
post #1637 of 1638 Unread Today, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 806 Post(s)
Liked: 432
Quote:
Don't be surprised if it has a ~ $40.00 ODD reader in it maybe Sony or Panasonic (that's probably what Oppo uses ) nothing wrong with them there aren't that many companies making actual BD ODD readers these days .

A $49.00 1 TB hdd or any modern hdd will read a BD rip ISO or MKV 1:1 (or whatever )1 :1 file AS good or more likely better than any player reading a BD disc it's just ones and zeros.

A ~ $35.00 HD HDCP Video card (HD 6450 for instance ) or any modern HD - IGPU can render a BD file (OR a BD ) and pass through 1080p digital audio and video about as good as it gets so can PS-3/4 which are considered reference or near reference BD players not to mention the newer 103-105 OPPO's are real decent although even at their prices a little expensive but not egregious for what they actually do .

A ~$200.00- $250.00 Panasonic or Sony BD player is as extravagant as I would go outside of a PC or PS3/4.

pppfffttt!.....You can build or buy a very capable swinging HTPC with an ODD and wifi (in a better looking case) with or without it's own dedicated LCD display or LCD control pad AND a NAS box full of storage drives for way less then 10 large and have plenty of dough left over for a decent DAC .

I'm sure the Ayre is a nice player and all................ I just don't see 10K of my money there .

You can get decent Panasonic or LG PC BD PC ODD 's for ~$50.00 now and burners are not much more. I play my locally stored movies and music from metal now.

1080p/30 1080p/60 video is just not that difficult for even an inexpensive IGPU or even SoC like you would find in a Roku to render very well these days and if you want more before it gets to the TV without using a PC or HTPC the Oppos have the arguably decent Darbee video processing options

Modern tier one brand TV's arguably already have some of the best embedded video processing you can get at the consumer level anyway nobody's going to beat them at that . Aside from a PC get a PS3/4 and decent DAC or an Oppo or decent BD player and you are good to go. I use PC BD ODD or PS3 for BD's they work fine and let the TV's do the video processing they are very good at that .

"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -

Last edited by tubetwister; Today at 03:10 PM.
post #1638 of 1638 Unread Today, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Are you still running Windows 10 (or 11)? ...And does it help in streaming Netflix?

* Sure you can buy a sixty bucks Samsung BR player and stream Netflix wirelessly from it (application and wi-fi included).

But it won't be 4K, and no high res multich audio either (lossless). ...And 3D? ...I just don't know, but no way here in Canada.
And 2K (1080p), I'm not sure we can get that in Canada, unless perhaps we have over 25-30 Mbps Internet speed.
And that, here, cost more money than you guys south of the border, much more money.

And VUDU, no way here in Canada; we've never heard of it.

And 3D Blu-ray from Disney; no way, only in Italy, China, and Russia.

And 4K 3D on Blu-ray; forget it, they just won't do it.

* If you want to be happy on this planet, it's not in front of your TV you'll find it, but outside in the real nature with your eyes and ears and touches and smells and tastes in real life.
The entertainment world (TVs and sound systems) is just a distraction of inferior quality compared to reality. ...Netflix included, with their old titles from yesteryears.
Netflix reminds me of the video stores of the past, with VHS tapes. ...Seeing it @ my friends' places I feel exactly like that.

I bought 'Big Hero 6' from Disney, on Blu-ray and in 2D only. ...Costed me thirty bucks. ...But that is Disney; better quality, no 3D, and we are going to pay them big hero money big time for their Blus and without 3D. If we want 3D, that'll be an additional $30-40 (double dip, from the 2D), and no VUDU here in Canada, so from India, China, Russia, or Italia (region B locked).

The world we live in is beautiful; when sitting on your deck outside or taking a stroll on the mountain top above the forest. ...And closer physically to the sky.
...No smartphone, no tablet, no satellite up above; but only you with the nature elements, and the wildlife. ...No Netflix needed, you are in the movie yourself and you are writing and living your own script as you go along.

Documentaries; some are very nice, on Netflix, and picture quality varies from one area to another, and from what you pay your Internet speed provider.
No service is perfect, but that walk up the mountain above the forest is surely refreshing, healthy, and the view is majestic in person.

<<>> Should my friends get Roku?
Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

Tags
Samsung Bd D6700 3d Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread - D6700 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page