Best possible Netflix streaming device - Page 58 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1711 of 1738 Old 03-28-2015, 06:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4250 Post(s)
Liked: 1614
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetwister View Post
1 Mbps (Download).

</sarcasm>
♦ Your pic doesn't show up.

Quote:
Oh yea michaeltscott is unequivocally da man for this stuff (and a lot of other stuff around here ) no lie ! He's got a professional background in software engineering I belive maybe hdwe too !
♦ Yes, he also has a lot of spare time (freedom); he told us before. ...Which is truly beneficial for all of us.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1712 of 1738 Old 03-28-2015, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 976 Post(s)
Liked: 486
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
♦ Your pic doesn't show up.

try this it's showing here and in your quote as well in all 3 browsers here :
Sometimes the V bulletin forum software (or web page ) here glitches and you have to refresh to see an image

1 mbps download
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	frustrated.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	6.2 KB
ID:	632873  

"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -

Last edited by tubetwister; 03-28-2015 at 06:40 PM.
post #1713 of 1738 Old 03-28-2015, 07:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

That's exactly how I feel, and looks like, 24/7
post #1714 of 1738 Old 03-28-2015, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky
I wasn't thinking of me, but of some friends. ...Me, I don't stream, and will probably never. ...I'm just too anchored with Blu-rays, and my Internet speed is less than 1 Mbps (Download).

Link posted byTube twister :
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/attach...1&d=1427592119

Quote:
That's exactly how I feel, and looks like, 24/7

No surprise with 1 mbps download............. Is that the new "Obama Broadband" </sarcasm>

"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"

Last edited by tubetwister; 03-28-2015 at 07:27 PM.
post #1715 of 1738 Old 03-28-2015, 08:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
No surprise with 1 mbps download............. Is that the new "Obama Broadband" </sarcasm>
In Canada we don't have the "Obama High-Speed Internet", we have "Cold Speed Igloo Microwave Band". ...Comes with a free scarf and a toque.
post #1716 of 1738 Old 03-28-2015, 08:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
In Canada we don't have the "Obama High-Speed Internet", we have "Cold Speed Igloo Microwave Band". ...Comes with a free scarf and a toque.
Youse guys cant tap into NORAD or sometghing ?

post #1717 of 1738 Old 03-28-2015, 08:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Youse guys cant tap into NORAD or sometghing ?
No, that's why we hang around @ AVS; and learn from you guys. ...Windows 10, OLED, 4K Blu-ray coming up, 3D extinction from Disney, Atmos vs DTS:X ... steaming and buffering, AOL, ...and all that jazz ♪
post #1718 of 1738 Old 03-29-2015, 03:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1625 Post(s)
Liked: 950
Quote:
I believe you meant 5.2 Mbps (not 6.2)? ...Or unless it is different in the USA as compared to in Canada?

No difference that I'm aware of. 5800 Kbps best-quality 1080p video + 192 Kbps DD+ = 5992 Kbps + 20% headroom to keep the buffer topped off = 7.2 Mbps (I was wrong, in the other direction).

Quote:
...Because you guys have also more choices (more titles). ...And in 4K and in 3D too.

I don't know about 3D (you can't see the list in the Netflix browser unless you have a 3D TV which I don't), but there is a small selection of 4K titles available in Canada, being 3 "Netflix Original" series (House of Cards, Marco Polo, Bloodline), Breaking Bad and four "Moving Art" nature shorts.

The Canada region Netflix library is smaller than that for the US, but it often features several big recent release titles that the US library does not, due to exclusivity deals with all of the premium cable sevices here (HBO, Showtime, Starz, Cinemax, etc). Right now I notice Transformers Age of Extinction and Rio 2 (both only available in the Canada region). I use a DNS spoofing service based in Canada (adfreetime.com, $2/month) to access the Netflix libraries of other regions and moreflicks.com to search all of those libraries simultaneously.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #1719 of 1738 Old 03-29-2015, 08:51 AM
nyt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandeBoma View Post
I had to read the whole thread to understand that my best bet to have both netflix and amazon 1080p 5.1 dd+ 24p without having to subscribe to tivo was a samsung player and it was hell to read the whole information available on the net to find out which was the cheapest device of the samsung series to perform all that. I was going to go with h5500 but I found out just in time about the its lack of smarthub apps (saved 80 bucks) and got the h6500 instead
Actually the h5500 has Netflix and can do 24p if you played a disc or file in that format before launching the app; however it won't auto-switch fps based on content so not good. What about h6500 (or f6500) ? If it does, is it reasonably fast for Netflix use?
post #1720 of 1738 Old 03-29-2015, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
Nope--haven't made that comparison. It takes too long to switch inputs from my PC to the Roku.

The one advantage of the Win8 app over the Netflix web site player is that the app can output bitstreamed DD+ if you have HDMI sound output on your PC (which I do). I don't know why no one seems to have ever made a browser extension for doing that.
Netflix 5800kbps on the PS4 looks the best too bad it drops down to that godawful 235kbp 240p crap due to a stupid bug in the app that I can't find crap about online. Netflix on the ATV3 at 5800kbps also looks the best too. The Fire TV looks great too except I see the colors a bit more brighter. The Roku 3 I think looks the worse too me it is a very dark image which washes out the colors. So the Fire TV is brighter and the Roku 3 is darker. Now when it comes to playing SD content which is at 1750kbps the ATV3 and Fire TV looks just like DVD according to the source.

Also forgot to say for sound quality the ATV3 has the best sound as the other devices sound a bit more flat.

EarthLink Extreme powered by Time Warner Cable Brooklyn.
ASUS RT-N66W Router 374.43 (Merlin Build) using OpenDNS.
Toshiba 39L2300U (My Bedroom) - Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV, Sony BDPS5200, Sony PS4.
Toshiba 32RV530U (Living Room) - Amazon Fire TV, Sony PS3 Slim.
Cats are the best pets.
post #1721 of 1738 Old 03-29-2015, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked: 395
Quote:
You can even watch Scott Wilkerson (from AVS) on the Home theater podcast episodes on the revision 3 channel
Revision 3 channel? Please elaborate. Thanks.

Quote:
You can steam recent HD episodes of Fox TV shows on the new Fox Now roku channel (without a cable/sat sub. )
FOX and FX Now on demand channels require participating cable/sat subs if you want to watch the latest episodes. I had to log into my Directv account during the initial setup.Watch new Fox episodes

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

Last edited by mailiang; 03-29-2015 at 11:00 AM. Reason: Added Link
post #1722 of 1738 Old 03-29-2015, 11:15 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 11
h6500 is what i use and works flawlessly lest the uncapability of re-encoding the audio to dts or dolby when playing content other than discs. I had to use an optical cable to get dolby from netflix sources because the device sends dd+ over hdmi which my receiver does not appreciate
post #1723 of 1738 Old 03-29-2015, 11:56 AM
nyt

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandeBoma View Post
h6500 is what i use and works flawlessly lest the uncapability of re-encoding the audio to dts or dolby when playing content other than discs. I had to use an optical cable to get dolby from netflix sources because the device sends dd+ over hdmi which my receiver does not appreciate
Thank you for the feedback, I just ordered one (less than 100€ on amazon.de)
post #1724 of 1738 Old 03-29-2015, 01:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
No difference that I'm aware of. 5800 Kbps best-quality 1080p video + 192 Kbps DD+ = 5992 Kbps + 20% headroom to keep the buffer topped off = 7.2 Mbps (I was wrong, in the other direction).
• Thx Michael; it was the "headroom" that I wasn't aware of. ...Best 1080p with DD+ 5.1 = 7.2Mbps ... Got that now.

Quote:
I don't know about 3D (you can't see the list in the Netflix browser unless you have a 3D TV which I don't), but there is a small selection of 4K titles available in Canada, being 3 "Netflix Original" series (House of Cards, Marco Polo, Bloodline), Breaking Bad and four "Moving Art" nature shorts.

The Canada region Netflix library is smaller than that for the US, but it often features several big recent release titles that the US library does not, due to exclusivity deals with all of the premium cable sevices here (HBO, Showtime, Starz, Cinemax, etc). Right now I notice Transformers Age of Extinction and Rio 2 (both only available in the Canada region). I use a DNS spoofing service based in Canada (adfreetime.com, $2/month) to access the Netflix libraries of other regions and moreflicks.com to search all of those libraries simultaneously.
• Interesting, between different parts of North America.
...Different "steam" in the air ...cooler and colder here up North, across the great divide (borderline).

* Netflix USA ... Hola!
post #1725 of 1738 Old 03-29-2015, 02:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
• Thx Michael; it was the "headroom" that I wasn't aware of.

Say you have a bucket with a hole in the bottom of it just big enough to let through the desired flow of fluid. If you start fluid flowing into the top of that bucket at just the desired rate then you get what you want out of the bottom but the bucket never fills. If the incoming flow decreases then you won't get the desired flow rate out of the bottom. If you pour fluid into the top of the bucket at a higher rate than it can flow through the hole, the bucket will fill with the excess; if the flow rate decreases to be less than desired, the amount accumulated in the bucket will keep the flow coming out of the hole in the bottom at full force, until the excess drains away. The hope is that any momentary decrease in incoming flow will not last long enough to let the bucket empty out.

The "bucket" is the buffer in the player and the "fluid" is the media stream coming from the network into your device. The bandwidth "headroom" represents the amount over the desired "flow rate" that you need to make sure that the bucket (buffer) stays full, against the possibility of a momentary decrease in flow from the network. In practice, the buffer is filled before it starts playing (the hole is covered until the bucket fills up), video is played from the buffer until it reaches some level (the hole is uncovered and fluid is allowed to drain from it without pouring more in) then it fills the buffer up again as fast as it can while continuing to play from the buffer (the flow into the top of the bucket is turned on at its maximum available rate until the bucket fills again).

Not all devices use that buffering strategy, but it's common. Graphed, it looks like this:

Spoiler!

post #1726 of 1738 Old 03-29-2015, 03:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Wow, cannot be more fluid than that. ...Just like clean steam, or the river's stream.
post #1727 of 1738 Old 03-29-2015, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post
Revision 3 channel? Please elaborate. Thanks.
+ 1 My bad it's not Rev 3 but .....Roku TWiT channel > Home Theater Geeks Show Archives (with Scott Wilkerson ) they have a corresponding web site as well
http://twit.tv/show/home-theater-geeks and a You Tube link https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...-theater-geeks can't get away from that dude </sarcasm>

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang
FOX and FX Now on demand channels require participating cable/sat subs if you want to watch the latest episodes. I had to log into my Directv account during the initial setup.Watch new Fox episodes

Ian
Now that you mention it ......I just now confirmed Roku FOX Now and FX now channels require first use log in to my Dish subscriber acct. Must have forgot , s.... I can't remember what I had for breakfast today ☺

To further clarify for the folks thinking about a Roku :

Roku Netflix, Amazon Prime and Hulu + require acct links and or acct log in at first use .

Roku FOX Now and FX now HBO GO etc. channels require acct link up /sign in on Roku with a service provider sub acct.

Some cable and OTA TV free Roku channels like PBS,ABC ,CBS news ,CNN ,Fox News, History channel etc. that don't require a first time sign in /subscriber log on have varying amounts of content.

All the above only needs be done at first time use unless you remove and re add the channels .

Last edited by tubetwister; 03-29-2015 at 05:03 PM.
post #1728 of 1738 Old 04-01-2015, 11:33 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 3
never remove x-files netflix, or I may have to leave u
reddice likes this.

All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
post #1729 of 1738 Old 04-06-2015, 01:29 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I think I watched some 3D Netflix stuff on my PS4 when I got it. 3D TV was fun for about 2 hours. Now I don't care. Pretty much what I had anticipated.
post #1730 of 1738 Old 04-07-2015, 08:14 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kherman View Post
I think I watched some 3D Netflix stuff on my PS4 when I got it. 3D TV was fun for about 2 hours. Now I don't care. Pretty much what I had anticipated.

All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
post #1731 of 1738 Old 04-13-2015, 06:18 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 43
I haven't the time to read all the posts in this huge thread, (let alone the whole forum!!) but I note some posters are aware that the internet is an international phenomenon, ( and so, therefore, is this forum) whiles others do not seem to keep this fact in mind when posting comments, replies, suggestions etc. ( A little like National Geographic, who send out emails on their whole contact list, for "specials" that are not available outside the US or Canada!!!")

Not meant as censorious criticism, just an observation!!

On the topic of this thread, I am in Australia (which country was only blessed with Netflix a few weeks ago!) and have been going nuts trying to determine how to get a full 1920x1080 video feed together with a 5.1 sound feed. What is my most economical solution?

Even Netflix Live Chat cannot tell me!!!

As a further clarification (before anybody asks!!) I have a reasonably fast cable broadband, which, together with a Netgear Nighthawk AC (recently acquired) router gives me very good wireless connection throughout the whole house. (a full 5 bars, can stream 1080p 5.1 surround videos from a hard drive plugged into the router from one end of the house to the other (end!!))

So, what works?

My PC (Windows 7) connected via hdmi to my NAD T 775 HD AVR? Nope! 1080p yes, but no 5.1.

My Oppo 95? Nope - cannot stream at all from Netflix in Australia.

My Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2 (? Nope. Again, 1080p, but only stereo.

My son's PS4: YEP, the full deal, but that doesn't help me.

Should I spend money on new hardware, and if so, what would be the cheapest that would give me the full deal?

Should I simply install Windows 8 or 8.1 on my PC (its an intel i7, with a nvidia GeForce GTX 560 video card)?

Should I wait for a Lollipop upgrade from my KitKat Note Pro tablet? (assuming Lollipop will do better than KitKat, which it may or may not).

It does not help that some hardware, or platforms, render a different Netflix experience in different countries!!

In case anyone else is seeking the same or similar clarification, be it here downunder (or there upover!!) I have come across this table of info in Wikipedia, but have no way of knowing how accurate or complete it is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...atible_devices

Is anyone aware of a similar, reliable table of info anywhere else?

Someone in one country quite sincerely recommend Apple TV3, or WD LiveTV, or Chromecast, not realising that hardware may not deliver the same result in another country!!

Over to you guys (experts more than welcome!!)

Edit: wish to emphasise I am looking for a solution for accessing the Australian Netflix from Australia - I mention this to preclude answers that suggest the use of a VPN or some DNS trickery to access a better result from Netflix US or UK using a piece of hardware that does not do that in Australia!

Last edited by madaudio; 04-13-2015 at 06:33 AM. Reason: clarification
post #1732 of 1738 Old 04-13-2015, 06:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1094 Post(s)
Liked: 599
^^^
I haven't seen a better table than that. This article has some helpful info:

http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/c...24-1m539o.html
post #1733 of 1738 Old 04-13-2015, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
^^^
I haven't seen a better table than that. This article has some helpful info:

http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/c...24-1m539o.html
Thanks mdavej: yes I had read that article. I am note sure that that writer realised some hardware (or platforms) work differently in different countries.
Been through a lot of web sites, chat forums, and a Live Chat session with Netflix: found nothing that came close to that table I linked to, and it has a lot of blank spaces in the Audio Support column.
(And it didn't include a lot of gear, also: eg none of the Oppo blu-ray players got a mention, nor the likes of such gear as the Minix Neo X8 Plus, which may or may not do the full Netflix deal here in Oz)
post #1734 of 1738 Old 04-13-2015, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 138
^^^ Unfortunately all of the Netflix Help Center links for supported regions are broken. The chart needs an update.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #1735 of 1738 Old 04-15-2015, 10:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by madaudio View Post
Should I simply install Windows 8 or 8.1 on my PC (its an intel i7, with a nvidia GeForce GTX 560 video card)?
I'm using a NUC with Win 8.1 and the Netflix Win 8 app - works perfectly, and I get the full DD+ 5.1 audio (but you do have to select it every time from the audio popup in the bottom right corner when the video is playing).

The Win 8 app is very good - BUT you need a mouse or trackpad as the app is NOT remote aware. But read this post if you go down that path.

Have you checked to see if your TV has an app? My Samsung does - although it's interface is pretty average compared to the Win 8 app.

The Netflix Wiki on Whirlpool may be of assistance, and you could always post a question to the huge Netflix thread also on Whirlpool.
post #1736 of 1738 Old Today, 12:21 AM

Thanks guys. I am quickly coming to the conclusion that the cheapest and simplest solution is to buy the latest Apple TV gizmo, and run it using a remote app from my phone or Note Pro.
I believe the latest Apple TV GEN 3 will do the whole 1080 and 5.1 connected to my NAD via HDMI.
post #1737 of 1738 Old Today, 12:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartonnen View Post
I'm using a NUC with Win 8.1 and the Netflix Win 8 app - works perfectly, and I get the full DD+ 5.1 audio (but you do have to select it every time from the audio popup in the bottom right corner when the video is playing).

Not every time, just the first video that you play in a session; play something else without exiting the app and DD+ will default. (I would swear that wasn't always necessary but I might be wrong).

Quote:
The Win 8 app is very good...

Not a big fan of the Win8 app; it should pop up a description of titles when you mouse over their poster thumbs; instead it forces you to click into the entry. It also only displays 5 recently watched titles.

post #1738 of 1738 Old Today, 08:19 AM

Further to my posts above, this is a quote from a review of the Minix Neo X8-H Plus android 4.4.2 smart tv box (appears to be a very high-powered little unit):

"We have spoken to Minix regarding the lack of HD for Netflix and seemingly their hands are tied. They have approached the world’s biggest internet TV service to have their devices added to the list of those approved for 1080p but it seems they are unwilling. "

(See https://www.avforums.com/review/mini...s-review.11345 for the source of this quote)

This seems to fit in with my not being able to get 5.1 from my Galaxy Note Pro 12.2" Tablet, which also runs android 4.4.2.

Apple TV seems more and more to be the only choice. BUT, there are rumous of a new Apple tv model in June 2015: To wait or not too wait????

Grrrrrr.
Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

Tags
Samsung Bd D6700 3d Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread - D6700 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page