Best possible Netflix streaming device - Page 61 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 49Likes

post #1801 of 1817 Old 01-06-2016, 09:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I just tested Netflix for the first time today since they are now also widely available in Asia.
I tired it on my Ps4 and not having real 24p is a real deal breaker for me.

I prefere watching movies from my nut running openelec where I'm getting proper refresh rate switching and DTS-HD, TrueHd and Atmos.
I will have to look into getting netflix to run on Openelec or else I'll have to get a UHD Bluray player once they hit the market.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1802 of 1817 Old 01-06-2016, 09:39 PM

I just tested Netflix for the first time today since they are now also widely available in Asia.
I tired it on my Ps4 and not having real 24p is a real deal breaker for me.

I prefere watching movies from my nut running openelec where I'm getting proper refresh rate switching and DTS-HD, TrueHd and Atmos.
I will have to look into getting netflix to run on Openelec or else I'll have to get a UHD Bluray player once they hit the market.
post #1803 of 1817 Old 01-07-2016, 03:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2342 Post(s)
Liked: 1260
Can you get NVIDIA Shield TV where you are? I believe that it can output 24p Netflix content at 24Hz.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #1804 of 1817 Old 01-07-2016, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
Can you get NVIDIA Shield TV where you are? I believe that it can output 24p Netflix content at 24Hz.
Indeed there is a setting on the Shield TV for 24p but I turned it off as it was annoyingly dropping frames on 25p stuff on Netflix. Ideally it should recognize the frame rate as 24p and only do run it then as some BD players do. Not sure why that would be complicated.
post #1805 of 1817 Old 01-07-2016, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
Indeed there is a setting on the Shield TV for 24p but I turned it off as it was annoyingly dropping frames on 25p stuff on Netflix. Ideally it should recognize the frame rate as 24p and only do run it then as some BD players do. Not sure why that would be complicated.

Yes dynamic frame rate switching is essential.
That's why I love XbmC/Kodi so much since it plays all in it's original frame-rate.

I can not buy the shield here but I might get one when I go to Hong Kong the next time.

The reason i did not get one yet is that Kodi does not fully support Audio HD bit streaming with the Shield.
There is an experimental build but it's still early beta.

I have got various device running Kodi on Openelec and I tried to integrate Netflix.
It kind of works but only stereo sound and no frame rate switching since the video is playing inside of Chromium...
post #1806 of 1817 Old 03-29-2016, 06:07 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky3RD View Post
How would you guys rank the Samsung BD-J7500 as a Netflix streaming device?
I own the H-6500 and it is one of the best options, the one you mentioned should be very similar. It is one of the very few options for europeans seeking 24p recognition automatically on netflix and amazon, since we cannot use tivos. Moreover, it also outputs plain dolby digital over SPDIF for streams carrying the problematic dd+ track. The only thing i can complain about is the lack of an option to convert dolby digital plus to plain DD over HDMI (this function works on disc material, oddly, but not on VOD and file playback), which other streamers such as firetv do. Furthermore, you are limited in your setup for apps that all belong to the same country (e.g. you cannot install both u.s. amazon VOD and BBC iplayer simultaneously).
It also has pandora, hulu and vudu (although the latter only works on models with serial numbers for u.s.a. market).
HBO now is still missing but this might a be temporary thing.

In fact, in my opinion the thread should already have an answer, since I cannot fathom what else is to wish for in a netflix player that current samsung middle and high level players cannot already do. The latest model supporting BD4k should at this point even offer 4k streaming through hdmi 2.2 port
post #1807 of 1817 Old 05-10-2016, 09:18 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I just wanted to mention that the Netflix app in the Panasonic DMP-BDT220 was updated several months ago to output DD+ (previously it only output DD) over HDMI. The Amazon app was updated to output DD+ a couple years ago. Unfortunately the Netflix interface is still slower than a snail on Benadryl but I guess with 24p output for both Netflix and Amazon I can't complain too much. I would assume the BDT230 (i.e., the 2013 model; 220 is the 2012 one) got the same update. I still find it unfathomable that getting 24p output out of Netflix seems to be such a challenging endeavor for the CE makers.
Bob R likes this.

Last edited by SireTV; 05-10-2016 at 09:25 AM.
post #1808 of 1817 Old Yesterday, 06:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by SireTV View Post
I just wanted to mention that the Netflix app in the Panasonic DMP-BDT220 was updated several months ago to output DD+ (previously it only output DD) over HDMI. The Amazon app was updated to output DD+ a couple years ago. Unfortunately the Netflix interface is still slower than a snail on Benadryl but I guess with 24p output for both Netflix and Amazon I can't complain too much. I would assume the BDT230 (i.e., the 2013 model; 220 is the 2012 one) got the same update. I still find it unfathomable that getting 24p output out of Netflix seems to be such a challenging endeavor for the CE makers.
Got Amazon Prime free for a while. Fooling around with the app on my BDT220. I'm wondering if it can output 1080p as it only shows "HD" on the display and all of the newer Amazon Prime Video devices can show "1080p".

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #1809 of 1817 Old Yesterday, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 737 Post(s)
Liked: 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post
Got Amazon Prime free for a while. Fooling around with the app on my BDT220. I'm wondering if it can output 1080p as it only shows "HD" on the display and all of the newer Amazon Prime Video devices can show "1080p".
My Roku 3600 has shown 1080, but lately it's seems to only display HD.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #1810 of 1817 Old Yesterday, 08:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post
My Roku 3600 has shown 1080, but lately it's seems to only display HD.

Ian
I've never seen 1080p displayed on my BDT220. It's an older device, I'm wondering if it just can't do it. The only advantage to using it is that it can display 24p on streaming services.

post #1811 of 1817 Old Today, 12:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I see "HD 1080p" on the player on my TiVo and the player in my smart TV; I suspect that I would also see that on my Fire TV stick, but it's on loan to some of my housemates. The player on my Roku 3 (original version) just says "HD", but I never use that so I don't know whether it can display "HD 1080p"--it's a completely different UI. All video players on Xbox 360 are constrained to 720p other than MS' service and VUDU and the player on my Xbox One apparently cannot display resolution. My PS3 and Panny BD player aren't hooked up so I can't check them.

post #1812 of 1817 Old Today, 07:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I see "HD 1080p" on the player on my TiVo and the player in my smart TV; I suspect that I would also see that on my Fire TV stick, but it's on loan to some of my housemates. The player on my Roku 3 (original version) just says "HD", but I never use that so I don't know whether it can display "HD 1080p"--it's a completely different UI. All video players on Xbox 360 are constrained to 720p other than MS' service and VUDU and the player on my Xbox One apparently cannot display resolution. My PS3 and Panny BD player aren't hooked up so I can't check them.
I've definitely seen HD 1080p on Amazon using my Roku 3. I just checked it. Same goes for my PS3. The BDT220 can do 1080p on the other streaming services (Netflix, Vudu) so who knows?

It would be nice if Amazon compiled a list and showed what the maximum resolution of each device was. Too much to ask for I guess.

post #1813 of 1817 Old Today, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 737 Post(s)
Liked: 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post
I've definitely seen HD 1080p on Amazon using my Roku 3. I just checked it. Same goes for my PS3. The BDT220 can do 1080p on the other streaming services (Netflix, Vudu) so who knows?

It would be nice if Amazon compiled a list and showed what the maximum resolution of each device was. Too much to ask for I guess.
I believe it has to do with the video you are watching. Sometimes my Roku shows 1080 other times HD. However, I haven't noticed any real difference in the PQ on my pdp.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #1814 of 1817 Old Today, 11:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

As I recall, Amazon didn't have everything in 1080p resolution (Netflix doesn't quite either, but it's close) so maybe I wasn't playing something which has 1080p. I just checked and it does show "HD 1080p" for Kung Fu Panda (which I seem to own a copy of on Amazon but have no idea why).

post #1815 of 1817 Old Today, 12:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1985 Post(s)
Liked: 905
Keep in mind the BDT220 is 4 years old and running an old Amazon app. The Amazon app on Panasonics of that era always had issues ramping up to 1080p (I know, I used to have one). You need a different/newer device if it's that important to you.
post #1816 of 1817 Old Today, 12:24 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 3913 Post(s)
Liked: 2319
Quote:
As I recall, Amazon didn't have everything in 1080p resolution (Netflix doesn't quite either, but it's close) so maybe I wasn't playing something which has 1080p. I just checked and it does show "HD 1080p" for Kung Fu Panda (which I seem to own a copy of on Amazon but have no idea why).
You probably got it the same way as me. It was free for some reason in the past.
post #1817 of 1817 Old Today, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by psysfaction View Post
Yes dynamic frame rate switching is essential.
That's why I love XbmC/Kodi so much since it plays all in it's original frame-rate.

I can not buy the shield here but I might get one when I go to Hong Kong the next time.

The reason i did not get one yet is that Kodi does not fully support Audio HD bit streaming with the Shield.
There is an experimental build but it's still early beta.

I have got various device running Kodi on Openelec and I tried to integrate Netflix.
It kind of works but only stereo sound and no frame rate switching since the video is playing inside of Chromium...
SPMC on the Shield, which is Kodi, (I think that is the beta you are referring to), plays HD Audio fine to include Atmos and DTS:X. The Kodi Alpha 17 is very buggy though.

Lowell

The MarvelAtmos Home Theater: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...e-theater.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

Tags
Samsung Bd D6700 3d Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page