Best possible Netflix streaming device - Page 62 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 54Likes

post #1831 of 1855 Old 04-24-2017, 11:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post
Just my two cents gentleman, but although 2160p offers more detail, it's negligible unless you have a very large set, or you like sitting very close to your screen. The difference comes down to HDR, which is paramount when it comes to providing a significant improvement in picture quality. It has been proven through countless reviews by professional calibrators, that UHD BD offers the best HDR experiance, even when comparing the best Dolby Vison streams to HDR10 Blu-Ray. Also, as good as 1080p streams have gotten, I have yet to see one that looks better then a top quality, 1080p Blu-Ray, on my Panasonic S60 PDP.

Ian
Thank you

And considering those logs also show 192kbps audio, I'll stick with discs. That's insanely low.

"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built, and it is terrific." - Michael Caine, on Jaws the Revenge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1832 of 1855 Old 04-24-2017, 11:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1741 Post(s)
Liked: 1000
Quote:
Just my two cents gentleman, but although 2160p offers more detail, it's negligible unless you have a very large set, or you like sitting very close to your screen. The difference comes down to HDR, which is paramount when it comes to providing a significant improvement in picture quality. It has been proven through countless reviews by professional calibrators, that UHD BD offers the best HDR experiance, even when comparing the best Dolby Vison streams to HDR10 Blu-Ray. Also, as good as 1080p streams have gotten, I have yet to see one that looks better then a top quality, 1080p Blu-Ray, on my Panasonic S60 PDP.

Ian
The question was about Netflix (and other services) using HEVC (or even VP9) for 1080p. Certainly know about UHD Disc but the players are still over priced and I doubt if I'll ever bother with one (unless it's free like my last two BD players were). Having experience in video and even creating and editing 4K I can tell the difference though the upscaling on my 4K set is very good when it comes to 1080p.

HDR is a bit up in the air at the moment since the Dolby Vision vs HDR is causing confusion. The price of HDR sets will need to come down a bit more.

Yes, 192 kbps audio is a bit thin. I always have turn up the audio on Netflix and down on VUDU. And being a musician can hear the difference.
post #1833 of 1855 Old 04-24-2017, 12:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 968 Post(s)
Liked: 640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
The question was about Netflix (and other services) using HEVC (or even VP9) for 1080p. Certainly know about UHD Disc but the players are still over priced and I doubt if I'll ever bother with one (unless it's free like my last two BD players were). Having experience in video and even creating and editing 4K I can tell the difference though the upscaling on my 4K set is very good when it comes to 1080p.

HDR is a bit up in the air at the moment since the Dolby Vision vs HDR is causing confusion. The price of HDR sets will need to come down a bit more.

Yes, 192 kbps audio is a bit thin. I always have turn up the audio on Netflix and down on VUDU. And being a musician can hear the difference.
I'm not saying 4k doesn't offer more detail, that's a fate accompli, but under normal viewing conditions, it has very little impact on over all PQ. According to the ISF, contrast is the number 1 contributor, while resolution finishes last. Hence the addition of HDR. Vudu's Dolby Vison with it's ample bandwidth, has become very competitive when compared to HDR10 BD. My buddy pro calibrator Lee Nielkirk (Review.com) did a comparison and concluded that certain streams offered by Vudu in Dolby Vison actually looked better then UHD BD (Sorry, Digitalfreak) This was probably due the original master's enhancements of Dolby's wider color gamut. Other titles however, did not offer the same results. Since Dolby Vison is coming to BD, we can only hope it will ultimately put an end to the PQ wars.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #1834 of 1855 Old 04-24-2017, 01:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'm not saying 4k doesn't offer more detail, that's a fate accompli, but under normal viewing conditions, it has very little impact on over all PQ. According to the ISF, contrast is the number 1 contributor, while resolution finishes last. Hence the addition of HDR. Vudu's Dolby Vison with it's ample bandwidth, has become very competitive when compared to HDR10 BD. My buddy pro calibrator Lee Nielkirk (Review.com) did a comparison and concluded that certain streams offered by Vudu in Dolby Vison actually looked better then UHD BD (Sorry, Digitalfreak) This was probably due the original master's enhancements of Dolby's wider color gamut. Other titles however, did not offer the same results. Since Dolby Vison is coming to BD, we can only hope it will ultimately put an end to the PQ wars.

Ian
There's more going on with the new codecs than just resolution. But around here we get a white flag waved at some of us if we get too geeky!
post #1835 of 1855 Old 04-24-2017, 01:40 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 6398 Post(s)
Liked: 3957
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalfreakNYC View Post
4K is different from 1080p. I'm looking for evidence that 1080p is being encoded with HEVC. I'm aware of the various codecs but I don't think there's any truth to anything else you're saying. And, from all opinions I've heard, 4k Netflix is about on par with a Blu-ray. But you're still missing lossless sound. So there's that.

So, yeah, BD's are the best PQ when it comes to both 1080p and 4k.
I was wondering about this with a 1080P Netflix movie I watched recently. The highest encode bitrate was something like 2.5mbps for 1080P. And for the bitrate it looked similar to the 5.8mbps Netflix titles I had watched. So I was thinking they used HEVC.

I never got around to checking it on a non HEVC Device to see what that showed.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

53TB unRAID2--41TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a
Sony 65x850C--Sony UBP-X800--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #1836 of 1855 Old 04-24-2017, 02:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
There's more going on with the new codecs than just resolution. But around here we get a white flag waved at some of us if we get too geeky!
What white flag? We love geeks! Obviously the new codecs are more efficient. Garbage in, garbage out. I'm certain they have an impact on Vudu's HDR content.

Ian

post #1837 of 1855 Old 04-24-2017, 02:45 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2844 Post(s)
Liked: 1516
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I was wondering about this with a 1080P Netflix movie I watched recently. The highest encode bitrate was something like 2.5mbps for 1080P. And for the bitrate it looked similar to the 5.8mbps Netflix titles I had watched. So I was thinking they used HEVC.

I never got around to checking it on a non HEVC Device to see what that showed.

That wouldn't necessarily mean that it's encoded in HEVC; they've been creating custom bit rate ladders per title (per episode of a series) based on an analysis of the video itself. You should check to see what the bit rate shows up as in Edge or the Windows Netflix app. Keep in mind that the bit rates on the embedded player debug display are based on powers of 2; 5800 Kbps will show up as 5.53 Mbps (5,800,000 / 2^20).

What was the movie?
aaronwt and AaronY like this.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #1838 of 1855 Old 04-25-2017, 01:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
That wouldn't necessarily mean that it's encoded in HEVC; they've been creating custom bit rate ladders per title (per episode of a series) based on an analysis of the video itself. You should check to see what the bit rate shows up as in Edge or the Windows Netflix app. Keep in mind that the bit rates on the embedded player debug display are based on powers of 2; 5800 Kbps will show up as 5.53 Mbps (5,800,000 / 2^20).

What was the movie?
Lower bitrates are usually HEVC even for 1080p and possibly 720p and even 480p if the device supports HEVC. And even VP9 which they announced using on mobile devices but could be used on devices that haven't licensed HEVC. Otherwise it's h264 with the old ladders. And I wouldn't depend on Netflix to keep doing things the way "they've announced". No company does that.

FYI, when you select a movie on a device there is an exchange as the streaming service determines what you are on, if DRM is supported, what HDMI, display resolution, what codecs are available, etc, etc, etc. I will dig out a log sample from the Shield TV to show the square dance they go through before the movie starts and of course wrap it in a spoiler. Coming soon (because the logs I have on this machine is not the ones I would use).
post #1839 of 1855 Old 04-25-2017, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Lower bitrates are usually HEVC even for 1080p and possibly 720p and even 480p if the device supports HEVC. And even VP9 which they announced using on mobile devices but could be used on devices that haven't licensed HEVC. Otherwise it's h264 with the old ladders. And I wouldn't depend on Netflix to keep doing things the way "they've announced". No company does that.

House of Cards, S1 E1 has a high bit rate of 1400 Kbps, 1080p (110, 140, 200, 300, 400, 560, 790, 1100, 1400). The debug display (CTRL-SHIFT-ALT-D) says that it's AVC. This is on Windows 10--the app and the web player running in Edge show the same thing. Of course, the debug display could be wrong. The embedded players concur about the bit rate, though their debug displays express 1400 Kbps as 1.34 Mbps (1,400,000 / 2 ^ 20 is 1.335). I don't have anything which immediately falls to hand that I know is absolutely, positively incapable of HEVC decoding; I've got a Roku 3 somewhere but I moved a few months ago and lord only knows what still packed box it's in. Chromecast can't, but it can't be made to display the debug overlay. Xbox 360 cannot, but its restricted to 720p; it is, however, reporting that the 720p encode it's playing is 1100 Kbps. My actively used streamers are Roku Premiere+, Xbox One S (rarely) and TiVo Bolt; all these and the TV's internal app are HEVC capable.

I strongly believe that those bit rates are for AVC.

post #1840 of 1855 Old 04-25-2017, 09:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Lightbulb Netflix Debug Display

Quote:

FYI, when you select a movie on a device there is an exchange as the streaming service determines what you are on, if DRM is supported, what HDMI, display resolution, what codecs are available, etc, etc, etc. I will dig out a log sample from the Shield TV to show the square dance they go through before the movie starts and of course wrap it in a spoiler. Coming soon (because the logs I have on this machine is not the ones I would use).
Quote:
House of Cards, S1 E1 has a high bit rate of 1400 Kbps, 1080p (110, 140, 200, 300, 400, 560, 790, 1100, 1400). The debug display (CTRL-SHIFT-ALT-D) says that it's AVC. This is on Windows 10--the app and the web player running in Edge show the same thing. Of course, the debug display could be wrong. The embedded players concur about the bit rate, though their debug displays express 1400 Kbps as 1.34 Mbps (1,400,000 / 2 ^ 20 is 1.335). I don't have anything which immediately falls to hand that I know is absolutely, positively incapable of HEVC decoding; I've got a Roku 3 somewhere but I moved a few months ago and lord only knows what still packed box it's in. Chromecast can't, but it can't be made to display the debug overlay. Xbox 360 cannot, but its restricted to 720p; it is, however, reporting that the 720p encode it's playing is 1100 Kbps. My actively used streamers are Roku Premiere+, Xbox One S (rarely) and TiVo Bolt; all these and the TV's internal app are HEVC capable.

AVC, HEVC, lower bit rates, higher bitrates, I'm fine with it, as long as it looks good to me.

Ian

post #1841 of 1855 Old 04-26-2017, 01:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

You can often get the debug listing of what's playing on a browser by selecting what's available for web debugging or even what's been downloaded by "inspect element".

Here's what happens with a Netflix 1080p show being served on an Nvidia Shield TV. Unfortunately I haven't found anything similar for Roku development.
Spoiler!

I rest my case.
post #1842 of 1855 Old 04-26-2017, 01:32 PM

Quote:
I rest my case.

I never doubted your claim that they're using H.265 on some devices for sub-2160-res encodes now. I was just asserting that not all low bit rate 1080p is due to H.265 encoding.

Can you produce a log like that for House of Cards, Season 1, Episode 1?

post #1843 of 1855 Old 04-27-2017, 10:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I never doubted your claim that they're using H.265 on some devices for sub-2160-res encodes now. I was just asserting that not all low bit rate 1080p is due to H.265 encoding.

Can you produce a log like that for House of Cards, Season 1, Episode 1?
That episode is only 1080p. On the Shield TV it is h264 but at 1.34 Mbps on Roku TV can't be and probably h265. There is no debug display for the Shield TV and the logs don't show bitrate.

Here is a Netflix tech blog on their Android debugging:
http://techblog.netflix.com/2015/10/...r-android.html
post #1844 of 1855 Old 04-27-2017, 11:12 AM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 6398 Post(s)
Liked: 3957
Quote:

What was the movie?
The ARC or ARC or something like that.

Sent from my Galaxy S6 using Tapatalk

53TB unRAID2--41TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a
Sony 65x850C--Sony UBP-X800--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #1845 of 1855 Old 04-27-2017, 06:55 PM

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 80
In terms of the original topic - "Best possible netflix streaming device" this thread has been way off topic for quite a few posts now!!!

Or have we all decided the Nvidia Shield is the best device, and moved on to other topics????
reddice likes this.
post #1846 of 1855 Old 04-27-2017, 07:10 PM

Yeah--sorry about the off-topic rat-hole. We should have moved it to the Netflix Streaming Quality thread. In fact, I will move my last three post there now, starting here.

Last edited by michaeltscott; 04-27-2017 at 07:18 PM.
post #1847 of 1855 Old 04-28-2017, 11:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madaudio View Post
In terms of the original topic - "Best possible netflix streaming device" this thread has been way off topic for quite a few posts now!!!

Or have we all decided the Nvidia Shield is the best device, and moved on to other topics????
I have an Nvidia Shield TV, the first model not the new one. It was made to be a gaming console with streaming available because it is based on Android TV. They've had some burps along the way getting things to work right. Just read the Shield TV forum on Nvidia's site. Stuff that is streamed elsewhere using HEVC or VP9 still gets streamed using AVC. In one case I think the contractor who made the player for a streaming service didn't query to see if the device was connected to a TV and service sends their lower bitrate 540p mobile stream instead of the 1080p stream. That's a one line piece of code that can check.

The Shield TV section here is mostly about KODI and NAS on Shield TV.

Personally I usually just watch Netflix using Roku on my 4K Roku TV. The TV has the most to do with PQ quality just as the surround system for sound quality.
post #1848 of 1855 Old 05-15-2017, 06:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Netflix blocks rooted Android devices from downloading its app

Netflix has become the latest company to stop users of rooted and unlocked Android devices from downloading its app from the Play Store. The video streaming service’s app still works on modified handsets/tablets that already have it installed, but this could eventually change.
http://www.techspot.com/news/69312-n...ading-app.html

Need help with your Motorola DVR? Check the Wikibook: How to use a Motorola DVR
post #1849 of 1855 Old 07-08-2017, 04:40 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I bought the Samsung j5500 in order to have a proper 24p on Netflix.
And it works, somehow.

I mean, the player doesn't autoframerate with netflix or Amazon.
I must launch a video files (on usb) ath the framerate I need, and then, it's good on netflix.

Not the best way to do it, but if you have a better way, feel free to share
post #1850 of 1855 Old 07-27-2017, 03:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Wink Number 1 streamer? 38.9 million consumers have gone for this brand.

CNET news: Roku beats Google, Amazon, and Apple with streaming users.

Ian

post #1851 of 1855 Old 07-27-2017, 04:38 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2519 Post(s)
Liked: 2372
Best Netflix streamer? Naw, not for me, I find the Amazon Fire TV box the best for Netflix; starts at the top bitrate and stays throughout at 1080p/24.

Actually, I may have to double-check that, I may have been thinking of the low-end Sony BDP I picked up specifically for Netflix as it does 1080p/24 output.

Last edited by Keenan; 07-27-2017 at 05:19 PM.
post #1852 of 1855 Old 07-28-2017, 08:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
Best Netflix streamer? Naw, not for me, I find the Amazon Fire TV box the best for Netflix; starts at the top bitrate and stays throughout at 1080p/24.

Actually, I may have to double-check that, I may have been thinking of the low-end Sony BDP I picked up specifically for Netflix as it does 1080p/24 output.
Maybe they should change the name of this thread to 'best possible streaming device'. I just didn't feel it necessary to start a new one. I changed my 'More Headaches For Comcast Customers' thread to 'cable' customers for that reason.

Ian

post #1853 of 1855 Old 07-28-2017, 09:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked: 441
I saw this story elsewhere and thought it interesting but couldn't help thinking once the new Apple TV (4K) version debuts this Fall with VUDU and Amazon Prime as apps that Roku will lose some of its uniqueness.

Quote:
"As the only major market participant not affiliated with a content or TV device platform, Roku has used its neutrality to strike deals with a wide range of partners, including smart TV makers, OTT service providers and social media companies," said Paul Verna, principal video analyst at eMarketer in a statement.
I recently picked up the Roku Premiere+ on sale (even though I'm still firmly in the 1080p camp) and think it's an improvement over my older Roku 3 but it came with a few sound issues that were resolved by the latest firmware. I like it but I know other AVS members who have issues with different channels as well as video and audio. I might try a Fire TV sometime when their prices come down but really I have more streamers than I need.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten Movies
post #1854 of 1855 Old 07-28-2017, 11:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I really like my 55" TCL 4K Roku TV. Makes things really easy and the PQ is excellent. Only problem is that on YouTube the Roku app is very strict about broadband bitrate and hence only will stream most 4K titles using the 2K second tier. At some point I will bump my service up but there is too much in flux around here as far a broadband providers at the moment. I can force YouTube to play 4K on their Nvidia Shield TV app. One of the reasons I got the TV was to develop Roku apps.
post #1855 of 1855 Old 07-28-2017, 12:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Since Netflix now offers 4K, Dolby Vision and Dolby Digital+ Atmos in varying combinations (but not all together), I'm hoping a device is released that supports all 3.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

Tags
Samsung Bd D6700 3d Blu Ray Disc Player

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page