Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 1554 Old 02-15-2011, 01:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mproper View Post

I don't know about BD playback, but $900 for any player is way out of my price range. And I believe the PS3 will STILL be a better Netflix player due to 1080p/5.1 (you'll still only get 720p/stereo with the Denon). And you'll save $600. Again, not sure if the BD playback will be any better, but if so you'll have to decide if it's $600 better. The PS3 is still one of the best BD players out there AFAIK.

The PS3 is cake to set up. Not sure why you'd be worried about that. You take it out of the box, plug it in, set up your display resolution and audio and you're done. For Netflix you just highlight the big Netflix icon and install the app, which will ask you for your email and password associated with your Netflix account. You put that in and you're done. It should take all of 5 minutes to set it up and configure it. Of course you'll want to calibrate your display and stuff, but that's outside of actually setting up the unit. It's really not that complicated.

Just did a bit of reading on it and that player does play some of the CD formats (like DVD-Audio and SACD) if you care about that. But it only streams Netflix and Youtube. Lame if you're interested in streaming, as you'll also get Vudu (the best streaming out there right now) with the PS3.

Maybe someone else can chime in since I'm not into high-end $900 players and there might be something I'm not considering.

Thanks for the info. I had heard of some minor complaints about the PS3 such as loud fan noise & being more complicated to set-up & use than say the Roku unit. How loud is that fan?

On another subject, even though I live in Florida, I know the toy train-shop in Palmyra at the old station. Drop in there sometime, tell Tom & Ann (owners) that Clark said "hello". It's a small world.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1554 Old 02-15-2011, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionelman View Post

How loud is that fan?

Not loud at all. Mine's on now and I muted the volume on the tv and can't hear it at all.

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #183 of 1554 Old 02-15-2011, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

My advice would be to not get the expensive denon blu-ray player. I love denon and have two denon AVRs in service at my house. However the PS3 is currently a better Netflix player and is almost guaranteed to remain that way. The reason is that it is constantly being updated and is a very common device. Despite denon being a more premium brand, I can't imagine them releasing as many updates nor releasing those updates as quickly.

The same argument could probably be made for blu-ray playback as well. Although truthfully, I haven't looked into the latest denon players. What I can say is that Sony is a driving force in the blu-ray industry and is constantly releasing updates for the PS3. Given how much blu-ray technology has evolved each year, the PS3 is the safest bet in terms of being future-proof. Note how long it is taking denon to bring the player to market. The same will likely be true for blu-ray related firmware updates in the future.

One area that the denon could be superior is in regular DVD playback. But then again, for an extra $600, you could likely find a more noticeable way to upgrade your home theater. I'd rather get a PS3 and then if DVD playback was found lacking, supplement it with a dedicated DVD player. Because you've been using a cheap DVD player this whole time, I'm guessing you're not interested in eking out that last almost imperceptible picture quality improvement.

In summary, get the PS3! The denon player won't work any better even though it is the same brand as your receiver. The receiver can't tell the difference. I have a PS3 hooked up to a denon 3808CI and it works flawlessly. And on top of that, the PS3 really does have better netflix streaming. It receives a higher bitrate stream and seems to do a better job at masking artifacts. It isn't just that the PS3 has a ton of processing power, but it is also the only device to which netflix sends their highest quality streams.

One more thing to consider. The PS3 blu-ray remote I recommended earlier is bluetooth based rather than infra-red. This means that a typical learning remote won't operate the PS3. If this is desired, you'll need to get an IR based PS3 remote solution or a learning remote that also supports bluetooth. This isn't complicated at all though. If interested, i'm sure people here can fill in the details.

Lots of good info here, thanks. I'm just a little fuzzy on your last paragraph about the correct remote to buy with the PS3. DON'T BUY the remote you first mentioned? Please direct me to the proper remote to buy, as you can tell I haven't got a clue. Last question beyond the proper remote is any particular place to get the (Slim?) PS3, Walmart, etc.? thanks!
post #184 of 1554 Old 02-15-2011, 02:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:

How loud is that fan?

In most every case it will be louder than any other AV device you have used. They do vary from unit to unit but I have yet to find one quieter than any other AV equipment I have used outside of projectors. The closest would be DVRs which are significantly quieter. This is based on several dozen devices and at least a half dozen PS3s over the years...
post #185 of 1554 Old 02-15-2011, 02:22 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
As with any fan cooled electronic device, it is luck of the draw and each person's preference that dictates if a fan is too loud. Some people can't stand the fan and others don't even know the PS3 has a fan. This could either be because their particular PS3 has a loud or quite fan. Or it could be because they are hyper-sensitive or oblivious.

My take is that most people don't even realize that there is a fan. The only time I can hear it is when the room temperature is over 90 degrees and the PS3 has been in use for a few hours. But then again, every computer in my house goes into leaf blower mode when the air temperature is that high.

If you buy the PS3 locally, you can always exchange it if you get one with a bad fan. But chances are, you won't be able to hear it.

[edit]

Your DLP TV probably has a fan too. If you can't hear that fan, you probably won't hear the PS3 fan either.
post #186 of 1554 Old 02-15-2011, 02:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Lots of good info here, thanks. I'm just a little fuzzy on your last paragraph about the correct remote to buy with the PS3. DON'T BUY the remote you first mentioned? Please direct me to the proper remote to buy, as you can tell I haven't got a clue. Last question beyond the proper remote is any particular place to get the (Slim?) PS3, Walmart, etc.? thanks!

That depends if you want to program one of your current remotes for the PS3 or if you are ok with having a seperate remote for the PS3. If you don't mind having a remote just for the PS3, the Sony Blu-Ray PS3 remote mentioned earlier is what you want. Otherwise, I'll have to defer to other people's advice, having never used the other options.

It doesn't really matter where you buy this stuff as long as the price is right.

For claiming to not have a clue, you certainly know all the right questions to ask!
post #187 of 1554 Old 02-15-2011, 02:31 PM

I spoke with Netflix today and they say only 2 units can stream 1080i AND 5.1.

Those two units are the PS3 and the Logitech Revue (with Google TV) unit.

There is also no rumors of anything else coming out soon that will.

The Google TV unit would be neat if you have interest in surfing the Web with your TV, and it's cheaper than a PS3. The downside is that it's remote is a full-sized keyboard. Not sure if I want that on my coffee table.

The PS3 has the advantage of being a high-quality gaming console. The downside is needing to purchase the optional remote if you don't like using a game controller to fumble through playing a DVD or Netflix. You also need to order a free DVD from NetFlix and insert it in the PS3 every time you want to stream Netflix.

Hmmm, seems neither option is perfect. But if I only use the PS3 for Netflix,.. I suppose the Netflix disk will always be in the machine,.. so no problem. A PS3 Slim can be had on Ebay for $249 shipped.
post #188 of 1554 Old 02-15-2011, 02:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

As with any fan cooled electronic device, it is luck of the draw and each person's preference that dictates if a fan is too loud.

I find the units with a high pitch more offense. Last one I purchased for an installation had a nice whine to it. I swapped it and ended up with a low whirl... much better.
post #189 of 1554 Old 02-15-2011, 02:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckstu View Post

You also need to order a free DVD from NetFlix and insert it in the PS3 every time you want to stream Netflix.

Hmmm, seems neither option is perfect. But if I only use the PS3 for Netflix,.. I suppose the Netflix disk will always be in the machine,.. so no problem. A PS3 Slim can be had on Ebay for $249 shipped.

Interesting about the Logitech Revue. I think most people, including myself, were under the impression that only the PS3 gets the 1080p streams. (they aren't 1080i) [Edit: It was later determined that the netflix rep was mistaken and that the Revue doesn't do 1080]

As for the PS3... it does NOT require the disk anymore. The netflix app is downloaded and installed from the internet.
post #190 of 1554 Old 02-15-2011, 02:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

The Google TV unit would be neat if you have interest in surfing the Web with your TV, and it's cheaper than a PS3. The downside is that it's remote is a full-sized keyboard. Not sure if I want that on my coffee table.

Google provided me with a Revue and I was very surprised with the keyboard. I was dead set against going in but after using it for a while I really enjoyed it. It ended up being my biggest plus for the Revue. I only wish they had added a few keys you could program (for your other devices - like a TiVo key). It's extremely easy and to use including the mouse.
post #191 of 1554 Old 02-15-2011, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:

Please direct me to the proper remote to buy, as you can tell I haven't got a clue.

Here it is...
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sony-Blu-r...S3-PS3/5607955

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #192 of 1554 Old 02-15-2011, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

On another subject, even though I live in Florida, I know the toy train-shop in Palmyra at the old station. Drop in there sometime, tell Tom & Ann (owners) that Clark said "hello". It's a small world.

Small world indeed. I was just there the other day (my kid is into trains)

Quote:

There is also no rumors of anything else coming out soon that will.

The PS3 has the advantage of being a high-quality gaming console. The downside is needing to purchase the optional remote if you don't like using a game controller to fumble through playing a DVD or Netflix. You also need to order a free DVD from NetFlix and insert it in the PS3 every time you want to stream Netflix.

No offense, but I don't think the person you spoke to knows what they are talking about. It's 1080p (not 1080i), there is nothing anywhere that I can find saying the Revue does 1080p (if it did, I'm sure it would be known here), and the PS3 doesn't require a disc (and hasn't since October).
post #193 of 1554 Old 02-16-2011, 09:27 AM

Liked: 11
Sorry if this has already been addressed (I couldn't find it...)...

How does PS3 Netflix PQ compare to Oppp93? Obviously the comparison can only be made for 720p content since Oppo doesn't have access to 1080p stream. I find the Oppo PQ to be quite good. Just wondering if PS3 is substantially better..

Given that the 1080p selection on Netflix is quite limited, I dont mind not having access to it just yet....Hopefully somewhere down the line the 1080p stream is opened up to other devices...
post #194 of 1554 Old 02-16-2011, 09:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma21 View Post
Sorry if this has already been addressed (I couldn't find it...)...

How does PS3 Netflix PQ compare to Oppp93? Obviously the comparison can only be made for 720p content since Oppo doesn't have access to 1080p stream from NFlix. I find the Oppo PQ to be quite good. Just wondering if PS3 is better?

Given that the 1080p selection on Netflix is quite limited, I dont mind not having access to it just yet....
It is rare to find an HD stream that isn't available in 1080p. This came as quite a surprise to me as well. Netflix must have started making or acquiring those 1080p versions long before they were made available to the public.

"X-High HD" on the PS3 is synonymous with 1080p. I can't even remember the last time an HD stream didn't have X-High HD available. I think 720p only HD streams are out there, but I am not finding them.

Setting the PS3 to output 720p causes the netflix app to max out at "High HD" rather than "X-High HD". This allows for a 720p to 720p comparison. Even at 720p, and allegedly playing the same streams available to other players, the consensus seems to be that the PS3 still has the best picture quality. In my opinion though, this comparison is only of interest to those people who have a 720p display.
post #195 of 1554 Old 02-16-2011, 10:06 AM

Quote:

No offense, but I don't think the person you spoke to knows what they are talking about. It's 1080p (not 1080i), there is nothing anywhere that I can find saying the Revue does 1080p (if it did, I'm sure it would be known here), and the PS3 doesn't require a disc (and hasn't since October).

To be fair,...the guy at Netflix just said 1080,... not I or P. I suppose I presumed "i" because the vastly majority of the content will be in 1080i. (Anything made for TV or filmed/digitized before Blu-Ray,... such as the Dexter episodes from Showtime the wife and I have been watching.) Although I suppose they can always just waste band-width and do a fake up-sample and send it out in "p".

Seems you're right and the Netflix guy was wrong about the Revue. They did have an update to improve the Netflix mid December 2010,.. but apparently it still won't stream Netflix at 1080.

So at the moment the only option is the PS3.

However,.. it is expected that the Boxee will do 1080 and DD+ with their SP4 update coming out soon. If it happens,.. that should be the way to go.

I think I'll stick with my Samsung Blu-Ray player for now and see what happens.
post #196 of 1554 Old 02-16-2011, 11:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
To be fair,...the guy at Netflix just said 1080,... not I or P. I suppose I presumed "i" because the vastly majority of the content will be in 1080i. (Anything made for TV or filmed/digitized before Blu-Ray,... such as the Dexter episodes from Showtime the wife and I have been watching.) Although I suppose they can always just waste band-width and do a fake up-sample and send it out in "p".
None of that stuff will be in 1080i either. When shows or movies are encoded for streaming, they are ripped from a master, not the version that was put on DVD or broadcast on TV.

This means that streams for shows like Dexter should be in 24p because they were originally captured at 24p. Some shows are still shot on film and the others are captured with progressive scan digital cameras. Almost nothing has an interlaced master.

Granted, there are exceptions where 24p contents is botched during the encoding process and netflix streams end up being played back at 60p. They're likely delivered at 30 fps but then sent over hdmi at 60p. This results in horrible judder-like artifacts. There is an entire AVS thread devoted to that problem.

Another thing to consider is that many netflix streaming boxes don't yet output 24p even when streams are delivered at 24p. That is my biggest complaint about the PS3 right now. The netflix app should be able to obey the blu-ray preference for whether or not to play 24p content at 24p. Unfortunately, the ps3 outputs all netflix streams at 60p. I've got my fingers crossed that this will be fixed soon, maybe when they fix DD+ output on the PS3.
post #197 of 1554 Old 02-16-2011, 11:26 AM

Quote:
"X-High HD" on the PS3 is synonymous with 1080p. I can't even remember the last time an HD stream didn't have X-High HD available. I think 720p only HD streams are out there, but I am not finding them.
I am confused now....If virtually everything you are watching is 1080p then why does this thread exist? I had thought the reason this list existed because most of Nflix is 720p.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1297186
post #198 of 1554 Old 02-16-2011, 11:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma21 View Post
I am confused now....If virtually everything you are watching is 1080p then why does this thread exist? I had thought the reason this list existed because most of Nflix is 720p.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1297186
[Edit: oops, misread what you posted, fixed a bit of the following response]
That list is limited to streams that are both 1080p and 5.1 sound. 5.1 sound is much rarer than 1080p. Also, it wasn't understood until recently that 1080p is synonymous with "x-high hd" on the PS3. I think all 5.1 content is available at 1080p. However only a small percentage of 1080p content is in 5.1.

It was suggested that the selection of "1080p" is quite limited. I was pointing out that the selection of 1080p titles is nearly the same as the selection of 720p titles. If a stream is available in HD, then it is almost always the case that both a 720p and 1080p version exist. Thus we'll confuse fewer people by talking about the selection available in "HD" rather than the selection available in "1080p". Otherwise people would likely get the wrong impression about 1080p availability in comparison to 720p.
post #199 of 1554 Old 02-16-2011, 12:12 PM

Quote:

My advice would be to not get the expensive denon blu-ray player. I love denon and have two denon AVRs in service at my house. However the PS3 is currently a better Netflix player and is almost guaranteed to remain that way. The reason is that it is constantly being updated and is a very common device. Despite denon being a more premium brand, I can't imagine them releasing as many updates nor releasing those updates as quickly.

The same argument could probably be made for blu-ray playback as well. Although truthfully, I haven't looked into the latest denon players. What I can say is that Sony is a driving force in the blu-ray industry and is constantly releasing updates for the PS3. Given how much blu-ray technology has evolved each year, the PS3 is the safest bet in terms of being future-proof. Note how long it is taking denon to bring the player to market. The same will likely be true for blu-ray related firmware updates in the future.

One area that the denon could be superior is in regular DVD playback. But then again, for an extra $600, you could likely find a more noticeable way to upgrade your home theater. I'd rather get a PS3 and then if DVD playback was found lacking, supplement it with a dedicated DVD player. Because you've been using a cheap DVD player this whole time, I'm guessing you're not interested in eking out that last almost imperceptible picture quality improvement.

In summary, get the PS3! The denon player won't work any better even though it is the same brand as your receiver. The receiver can't tell the difference. I have a PS3 hooked up to a denon 3808CI and it works flawlessly. And on top of that, the PS3 really does have better netflix streaming. It receives a higher bitrate stream and seems to do a better job at masking artifacts. It isn't just that the PS3 has a ton of processing power, but it is also the only device to which netflix sends their highest quality streams.

One more thing to consider. The PS3 blu-ray remote I recommended earlier is bluetooth based rather than infra-red. This means that a typical learning remote won't operate the PS3. If this is desired, you'll need to get an IR based PS3 remote solution or a learning remote that also supports bluetooth. This isn't complicated at all though. If interested, i'm sure people here can fill in the details.

OK, I'm up to date now. The PS3 with the BR remote is absolutely the way to go. Next question is connections. Looking at info like "what's in the box" about the unit, I believe it does not include wiring connections, correct? I suppose that HDMI is the best connection, but the price & quality of HDMI wire varies. Category 1 & Category 2 HDMI, for instance. I like the idea of buying the unit at Walmart for easy return (as someone mentioned in case of a problem) for the unit, while there, which brand of HDMI cable do I look for to be sure I am getting the best quality product? On the Denon reciever is the PS3 HDMI connected to the DVD input? thanks!
post #200 of 1554 Old 02-16-2011, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

^ Spend $80 for a Monster HDMI cable. No, I'm kidding. Do not do that. Go to www.monoprice.com and just get one for a couple bucks. You won't see a difference. If Walmart sells HDMI cables, I think you'll still overpay. Although I just looked at Walmart.com and they have them for $10 or so....I guess that's not bad. Still more than monoprice, but at least you wouldn't have to wait for shipping or anything.

I don't know if one comes in the PS3 box or not....it didn't when I got one a few years ago, but that was the old "fat" model.
post #201 of 1554 Old 02-16-2011, 12:34 PM
Advanced Member

I second the recommendation for buying cables from a website like monoprice.com. Completely ignore the brand. The hdmi cable should run you around $5. I prefer light weight ones with a small amount of plastic encasing the plug. These are easier to plug into the back of a receiver.

Best Buy wanted $29.95 for a micro usb cable. The same type of cable from monoprice was $0.86. Cables are ludicrously overpriced at most retail stores. On top of that, with digital signals, there isn't a difference. Not only will you not see a difference, there is no difference. All the ones and zeroes of the digital signal will be transmitted perfectly unless the cable is defective.

Or... if you've got the money and you're already at the store buying a PS3, there's no harm in spending more. I doubt there would be a problem with absolutely any cable that you buy.
post #202 of 1554 Old 02-16-2011, 12:34 PM

Quote:

[Edit: oops, misread what you posted, fixed a bit of the following response]
That list is limited to streams that are both 1080p and 5.1 sound. 5.1 sound is much rarer than 1080p. Also, it wasn't understood until recently that 1080p is synonymous with "x-high hd" on the PS3. I think all 5.1 content is available at 1080p. However only a small percentage of 1080p content is in 5.1.

It was suggested that the selection of "1080p" is quite limited. I was pointing out that the selection of 1080p titles is nearly the same as the selection of 720p titles. If a stream is available in HD, then it is almost always the case that both a 720p and 1080p version exist. Thus we'll confuse fewer people by talking about the selection available in "HD" rather than the selection available in "1080p". Otherwise people would likely get the wrong impression about 1080p availability in comparison to 720p.

Ahh...That makes sense....I had assumed that the emphasis in that list was on 1080p and not on 5.1.....I get it now....Thanks

So the question now is whether to get the PS3 in addition to the oppo....Will the 1080p be opened to other devices? if so then getting a ps3 would be a waste....
post #203 of 1554 Old 02-16-2011, 01:04 PM

Quote:

I second the recommendation for buying cables from a website like monoprice.com. Completely ignore the brand. The hdmi cable should run you around $5. I prefer light weight ones with a small amount of plastic encasing the plug. These are easier to plug into the back of a receiver.

Exactly.

Most any of the HDMI cables over $2.50 are solid. Lots of lies out there about cables. Like "This cable can't handle the band-width of Blu-Ray etc,.. you need the $159 cable for that". Yeah right,... like the copper wire in the Macho-Cable brand somehow transfers electricity faster than the copper in the cheaper brand. Copper is copper. All transmit at close to the speed of light.

I have some of these. $2.79 each. Always worked fine.
http://www.amazon.com/HDMI-Cable-2M-...7885927&sr=8-1

But recently I bought a bag of these. The ends are smaller and better looking, as is the cable itself. Still gold plated in case I use my HT system in a harsh environment like the rain-forest LOL.

A little more money, but they seem to fit tighter and the smaller ends are easier to feed through openings.
http://www.amazon.com/High-Speed-HDM...886178&sr=8-26

I buy 4-5 at a time. You never know when you want a longer or shorter length,.. or you're helping a friend pick out a new big screen and he realizes he needs HDMI cables tonight if he's going to test his new TV and Blu-Ray player out.

Instead of letting the 16 year-old sales-person sell him $300 worth of Macho Cable,.. I can just hand him a bag and tell he owes me dinner.
post #204 of 1554 Old 02-16-2011, 01:19 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
The PS3 is the same price everywhere, but BB is giving a $50 gift card with it. I bought mine there this week.
post #205 of 1554 Old 02-19-2011, 07:03 AM

Again, thanks to all for all input about the proper Netflix unit to buy. On the last note's advice I went to BB, bought the PS3 with the $50 gift card & paid for the BR-Remote with the card. Now, I going to try to get this set-up properly. I'll let you know what mess I get myself into. Thanks!
post #206 of 1554 Old 02-22-2011, 08:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Are there any devices that will do Netflix 1080p and Amazon HD? If not, what's the best compromise device for Netflix HD and Amazon HD?
post #207 of 1554 Old 02-22-2011, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Again, thanks to all for all input about the proper Netflix unit to buy. On the last note's advice I went to BB, bought the PS3 with the $50 gift card & paid for the BR-Remote with the card. Now, I going to try to get this set-up properly. I'll let you know what mess I get myself into. Thanks!
Curious how you made out. Do you think you made the right decision, and what do you think about how it looks?
post #208 of 1554 Old 02-22-2011, 02:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1059 Post(s)
Liked: 793
Quote:
Originally Posted by HofstraJet View Post

Are there any devices that will do Netflix 1080p and Amazon HD? If not, what's the best compromise device for Netflix HD and Amazon HD?

Since the only device which currently does 1080p (or claims to ) is the PS3, which doesn't stream Amazon, no, there's no device which does both. Obviously the PS3 could do Amazon with a downloadable app, but none such has been offered.

There's no real "compromise" in a single device, since nothing else does Netflix 1080p. The Roku boxes do Amazon HD and Netflix HD and probably could do 1080p streams from either, since they can do 1080p YouTube. Much like an Amazon player for the PS3, there's no current indication that Netflix 1080p streams will be available on Roku streamers.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #209 of 1554 Old 02-24-2011, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Curious how you made out. Do you think you made the right decision, and what do you think about how it looks?
I am quite pleased with NETFLIX & the PS3 unit, but since I never had even seen one before the set up was a LONG process for someone like me. The second page of the set-up screen would not advance to the 3rd page right off the bat. (I know now that the problem was a poor HDMI cable that I borrowed until the good one I ordered arrived several days later) Anyway, quite frustrated, I called SONY & a very young lady took me by the hand & walked me through the entire set-up, which took about two hours on the phone. I had originally had the HDMI set up as PS to AVR, & the second HDMI to the monitor, but she had me connect the PS directly to the monitor. That evening, while I got front channel audio, I completely lost rear channel audio just playing a DVD, which always had it on my cheap $40 Sears DVD player, so I was not happy. The next day I spent another two hours on the phone with a different SONY young lady, who had me re-route the HDMI cables back to the original way, PS to AVR, to monitor, (which got the rear audio channels again with a DVD) & she helped me with more set up for NETFLIX, so now I thought everything was fine. That second day evening I went to use the system, but while my over-the-air antenna TV & VCR that are connected directly to the monitor worked fine, the PS unit wired through the AVR would not bring up any picture & then without touching it after 20 minutes the picture would just come up by itself. Weird. Well, I figured maybe the PS unit did not like that I had turned it off between the time that I got off the phone with SONY & the evening viewing time. The next morning (3rd day), I had left the PS unit on & exactly the same thing happened, no picture at all for about 20 minutes. Then I called DENON & the first guy had me reset everything & try basic fixes. None of that helped so I called DENON a second time. The second guy suggested changing the HDMI from the PS to the AVR, to the supplied RCA-plug input cable instead (to check for a bad HDMI). I started looking through the PS book to figure out if I needed to do a different set up for the RCA wiring & that's when I noticed that would make me lose my rear channel audio again. Since my good HDMI cable that I had ordered was still several days away & I had no access to another HDMI to try, I figured what the heck, just swap the two HDMI cables (the inexpensive borrowed one & one that I got with my ORB-AUDIO speaker system) around & presto, it worked! The PS main menu came right up as it should have all along. Since then, my ordered HDMI arrived & changed it with the borrowed suspect one. I have been using NETFLIX & enjoying it. The only hiccup now is that while the DENON AVR-989 displays 7.1 channel possibility while playing a DVD & I get rear channel audio, when I switch to NETFLIX, the same display changes to DVD-Stereo. I know that the PS is supposed to get 5.1 audio even with NETLIX, so what can I do to get it? Is there some setting in the PS or NETFLIX setup that I have missed? So, yes I am thrilled with the PS unit's abilities, but the set-up for a novice like me was 3 days & still counting. Thanks to all for inputs & comments. Looking forward to hearing from you about my last question concerning the NETFLIX rear audio.
post #210 of 1554 Old 02-24-2011, 06:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Lionelman,

Not all titles available for streaming from Netflix have 5.1 audio. In fact, most are 2.0 stereo.

I want to hear opinions from people who don't have a dog in the fight.
Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

Tags
Samsung Bd D6700 3d Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread - D6700 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page