Best possible Netflix streaming device - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1496 Old 01-05-2011, 07:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have been researching this and it appears the hardware is changing so rapidly that older answers to this question are no longer accurate.

Given that the new Roku contains 1080p and 5.1 audio, is it now as good/better than the PS3?

I want to buy the very best possible Netflix streaming device. Here is what I am considering at present.

(1) Roku XDS
(2) Apple TV
(3) LG brp-550
(4) Oppo brp-93
(5) PS3

Is there anything else? Which is the very best?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 1496 Old 01-05-2011, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
The Roku was updated to support 1080p/5.1. It currently doesn't get those streams from Netflix though so it's still stuck with 720p/stereo from Netflix.

As it stands today, the PS3 is still the best streamer (since it's the only one that does 1080p/5.1).

That doesn't mean they won't announce 1080p/5.1 for other devices an hour from now (or it could be days, weeks, months, etc). CES starts tomorrow, so hopefully we'll hear some stuff regarding the other devices over the next few days....maybe.
post #3 of 1496 Old 01-05-2011, 10:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpauls View Post

(1) Roku XDS
(2) Apple TV
(3) LG brp-550
(4) Oppo brp-93
(5) PS3

Best based on what? I found the LG players had way too much edge enhancement and their image looked far too coarse. When comparing the PS3 (including the latest release) to several other streamers it lacked detail... such the building's column in the open scene of 24 (in HD). I even preferred the Apple TV to it.

The TiVo Premiere does a very good job with Netflix and you can display native resolution if you wish to use a scaler (or it will do the scaling). The line of Western Digital streamers do a nice job such as the WD TV Live Plus/HUB. Also both of the Insignia (Best Buy) Blu-ray players are better than most.

Since the TiVo does such a nice job I haven't tried the Roku. However when the Apple TV came out I saw a few reviews (along with images) that compared them and the Apple TV had more detail.

| 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
post #4 of 1496 Old 01-05-2011, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mproper View Post

The Roku was updated to support 1080p/5.1. It currently doesn't get those streams from Netflix though so it's still stuck with 720p/stereo from Netflix.

As it stands today, the PS3 is still the best streamer (since it's the only one that does 1080p/5.1).

That doesn't mean they won't announce 1080p/5.1 for other devices an hour from now (or it could be days, weeks, months, etc). CES starts tomorrow, so hopefully we'll hear some stuff regarding the other devices over the next few days....maybe.

Can you think of any reason why the PS3 gets higher quality streams from Netflix than the Roku does even though both devices have the ability to receive 1080p/5.1? Is it a Netflix limitation or a Roku limitation?

Is it a licensing issue? Does PS3 get preferential treatment from Netflix? Access to streams that no one else is allowed to have, or just that no one else is capable of processing?
post #5 of 1496 Old 01-05-2011, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

My understanding is that the AppleTV is forever stuck at 720p. That's not to say it won't look better than other devices that output 1080p of course, since it really all depends on the information bits per pixel. I high quality 720p signal can easily look better than a low quality 1080p. It all depends on the compression ratio and processing quality. There must be a reason Apple chose 720p.

On a 1080p display, everything we watch is 1080p once the scaler gets done with it. Even 480i sources ;-) It is a misnomer to call something HD simply because it has 1080 lines in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

Best based on what? I found the LG players had way too much edge enhancement and their image looked far too coarse. When comparing the PS3 (including the latest release) to several other streamers it lacked detail... such the building's column in the open scene of 24 (in HD). I even preferred the Apple TV to it.

The TiVo Premiere does a very good job with Netflix and you can display native resolution if you wish to use a scaler (or it will do the scaling). The line of Western Digital streamers do a nice job such as the WD TV Live Plus/HUB. Also both of the Insignia (Best Buy) Blu-ray players are better than most.

Since the TiVo does such a nice job I haven't tried the Roku. However when the Apple TV came out I saw a few reviews (along with images) that compared them and the Apple TV had more detail.

post #6 of 1496 Old 01-05-2011, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Can you think of any reason why the PS3 gets higher quality streams from Netflix than the Roku does even though both devices have the ability to receive 1080p/5.1? Is it a Netflix limitation or a Roku limitation?

Is it a licensing issue? Does PS3 get preferential treatment from Netflix? Access to streams that no one else is allowed to have, or just that no one else is capable of processing?

I don't think it's a processing thing but the PS3 just got it ~2 months ago. My guess is it's either a timed-exclusive deal (like Sony paid them to get it first) or Netflix is using it as a test to iron out any bugs and see what the stress is on the infrastructure (and upgrade accordingly before releasing it to other devices).

In all likelihood, it's probably a combination of the above.

I have no doubts the other capable devices will get access to those streams. It's just a matter of when IMO.

If I were in your shoes, I would wait a few days to see what comes out of CES, then decide. If nothing is announced, you would have to decide if $299 for a PS3 (new) is worth it to you, or if you'd rather spend significantly less on a Roku or other device and hope the 1080p/5.1 comes sooner rather than later. Of course, the Roku also will do some things the PS3 can't (like Amazon), but the PS3 will obviously do a lot the Roku can't (like Blu-Ray, Vudu and videogames).
post #7 of 1496 Old 01-05-2011, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mproper View Post
I don't think it's a processing thing but the PS3 just got it ~2 months ago. My guess is it's either a timed-exclusive deal (like Sony paid them to get it first) or Netflix is using it as a test to iron out any bugs and see what the stress is on the infrastructure (and upgrade accordingly before releasing it to other devices).

In all likelihood, it's probably a combination of the above.

I have no doubts the other devices (other than the Wii of course) will get access to those streams. It's just a matter of when IMO.

If I were in your shoes, I would wait a few days to see what comes out of CES, then decide. You would have to decide if $299 for a PS3 (new) is worth it to you, or if you'd rather spend significantly less on a Roku or other device and hope the 1080p/5.1 comes sooner rather than later. Of course, the Roku also will do some things the PS3 can't (like Amazon), but the PS3 will obviously do a lot the Roku can't (like Blu-Ray, Vudu and videogames).
The price is not a concern, only quality. (Plus with the PS3 I get a blue ray player, which is worth about 100 bucks to me.) My main concern with the PS3 is the user interface. I have heard it might not be so user friendly to navigate/browse netflix compared to the Roku. Also, I believe it requires a blue tooth remote so my current Harmony 510 would not work with it. I realize I can buy a PS3 BT remote for about 24 bucks. PS3 might actually have some resale value in a year too.
post #8 of 1496 Old 01-05-2011, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The price is not a concern, only quality. (Plus with the PS3 I get a blue ray player, which is worth about 100 bucks to me.) My main concern with the PS3 is the user interface. I have heard it might not be so user friendly to navigate/browse netflix compared to the Roku. Also, I believe it requires a blue tooth remote so my current Harmony 510 would not work with it. I realize I can buy a PS3 BT remote for about 24 bucks. PS3 might actually have some resale value in a year too.
There are (I think) 4 user interfaces for the PS3, and it's a crapshoot of which one you'll get, at least right now. I am stuck with what I consider a crappy one, but it is functional (just not as nice as the other ones I've seen)

For $40 you can buy the Logitech PS3 Adapter, which will allow your Harmony to work with the PS3 (and would be cleaner than a second remote, assuming you prefer the convenience of one remote over saving $20 by buying a BT remote or using the PS3 controller).

You can also buy something like the Nyko Bluwave adapter (which is what I currently have) that will allow your Harmony to work with most PS3 functions....except turning the PS3 on and exiting out of the app since you can't map the "PS" button to it like you can the Logitech Adapter. Personally I am upgrading to the Logitech solution since I am annoyed enough that I can't exit the app, and now that I use the PS3 for Netflix, turning it on is becoming a pain/annoyance (previously I was always up putting a disc in anyways, so turning it on wasn't as annoying as it is now when I'm all tucked in under my blanket on the couch with the dog sleeping on my legs and just want to watch something without getting up).

If you're looking at a PS3, it's worth noting it combines the streamer and disc player, so it's one less component in your setup versus a Roku as well.
post #9 of 1496 Old 01-05-2011, 11:14 AM

Quote:
The PS3 interface is actually pretty good, and way better than it used to be, if you get the right version. The problem is there seem to be several versions floating around for whatever reason, and some are apparently buggy. Over Christmas I looked at Netflix on 2 PS3 consoles - both were different, and different from the one I have. The version I have has no bugs that I've encountered and is perfectly usable.

It's not as good as VUDU though, which has the best streaming interface I've used. It's obviously only going to get better though. The new UI uses HTML5 and Netflix can tweak it on their end without having to push new software.

There are solutions for using a Harmony or whatever, but it sounds like there are some mapping issues. Personally I just use the $20 Sony remote, and don't mind the 2nd remote (I still use a 9 year old MX500 for everything else, heh). The batteries seem to last forever in the Sony remote too.
post #10 of 1496 Old 01-05-2011, 12:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked: 596
I got my Logitech Harmony PS3 Adapter on the week that it shipped. I've been using Harmony remotes since long before Logitech assimilated them and would have a hard time switching to anything else (I'm not as thrilled with my recently acquired Harmony One as I'd hoped to be, but that's another story ). The PS3 adapter has worked flawlessly since I bought it.

One factor in the PS3 having 5.1/1080p is that it uses a different set of encodings. Most devices use a set of VC-1 encodings with WMA sound, whereas the PS3 uses a set of streams encoded as AVC with stereo DD sound (they say the 5.1 streams have DD+). Either they'll move all of the devices to playing those encodings or they'll create new 1080p encodings for that set. There was supposedly some problem with putting 5.1 sound on the VC-1 encodings, since they use WMDRM wrapper on them and the only surround sound encoding supported by it was WMA Pro; that may have changed since then.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"
" -- hookbill
post #11 of 1496 Old 01-05-2011, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubiczee View Post
The PS3 interface is actually pretty good, and way better than it used to be, if you get the right version. The problem is there seem to be several versions floating around for whatever reason, and some are apparently buggy. Over Christmas I looked at Netflix on 2 PS3 consoles - both were different, and different from the one I have. The version I have has no bugs that I've encountered and is perfectly usable.

It's not as good as VUDU though, which has the best streaming interface I've used. It's obviously only going to get better though. The new UI uses HTML5 and Netflix can tweak it on their end without having to push new software.

There are solutions for using a Harmony or whatever, but it sounds like there are some mapping issues. Personally I just use the $20 Sony remote, and don't mind the 2nd remote (I still use a 9 year old MX500 for everything else, heh). The batteries seem to last forever in the Sony remote too.
Since I've never seen a PS3 before, how will I know if I get one with the good interface? What does the good interface look like? Is there a picture somewhere?
post #12 of 1496 Old 01-05-2011, 01:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Since I've never seen a PS3 before, how will I know if I get one with the good interface? What does the good interface look like? Is there a picture somewhere?
There are some pictures in this Engadget article, displaying at least two of the interface variants. The screen at the top of the article displays a little pop-up bunch of icons at the bottom which is not part of my version and the triangle button doesn't do anything in any context for me (some screens show it linked to a "video browse" function that I don't have and some screens show that it brings up the search function). About the fourth screen down you see a title description (for Local Color displayed on the left of a cover browser--not in my version (I really wish it was, since I frequently look at those descriptions searching for new titles with 5.1 sound and I have to click the X button to see the descriptions and RIGHT to get back to the browser).

There are thought to be at least three different variations.

"
" -- hookbill
post #13 of 1496 Old 01-05-2011, 01:42 PM

Quote:
You don't "get" one interface or the other long term, netflix changes them at random upon connecting to their servers via HTML5 they explained it in their blog about a month back. If you don't like the interface you could quit the netflix app and then restart it and you have a good chance of getting one of the other interfaces. they are using the data gleaned from their servers to find average seek times and monitor crashes to find which interface allows the average user to find what they want to watch the fastest and most often.

http://techblog.netflix.com/2010/12/...-for-user.html

As for the best device for netflix streaming I love the PS3, my wife prefers the Apple TV, and neither of us use the Wii for streaming as it requires finding the Wii controller where the other 2 devices are both controlled by a Harmony one which also operates the rest of the system as well.
post #14 of 1496 Old 01-05-2011, 02:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I've started the new app dozens of time without ever seeing any other version of it. I just tried killing and restarting it six times in a row without getting anything noticeably different.

"
" -- hookbill
post #15 of 1496 Old 01-05-2011, 02:15 PM

Mine changed several times when I had family in town around thanksgiving but I haven't noticed it recently either,(haven't had much time to watch recently) they may have decided to go with one interface now but they can certainly change it on a whim it seems. I'll try and see if any of my consoles are different tonight if I remember, my wife hated that one PS3 would be different than the others, there for a while I had a different interface on each PS3 and it drove her slightly nuts.
post #16 of 1496 Old 01-05-2011, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

I've started the new app dozens of time without ever seeing any other version of it. I just tried killing and restarting it six times in a row without getting anything noticeably different.

Yeah, I've never seen my change either. I even uninstalled and re-installed it several times (weeks ago) hoping maybe I'd get another one. No such luck.

Hopefully they eventually offer us a choice.
post #17 of 1496 Old 01-05-2011, 03:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Maybe it it depends on the server you get connected to.

"
" -- hookbill
post #18 of 1496 Old 01-05-2011, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2.ooohhh View Post

You don't "get" one interface or the other long term, netflix changes them at random upon connecting to their servers via HTML5 they explained it in their blog about a month back. If you don't like the interface you could quit the netflix app and then restart it and you have a good chance of getting one of the other interfaces. they are using the data gleaned from their servers to find average seek times and monitor crashes to find which interface allows the average user to find what they want to watch the fastest and most often.

This isn't stated or implied by the blog post, and completely contrary to all the user experience reported on these forums. You version can change anytime you login, yes. But you don't just get a random version among those that are being vetted anytime you login.
post #19 of 1496 Old 01-06-2011, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubiczee View Post

This isn't stated or implied by the blog post, and completely contrary to all the user experience reported on these forums. You version can change anytime you login, yes. But you don't just get a random version among those that are being vetted anytime you login.

When they first offered the different interfaces that was seemingly my experience on my PS3s, I tried it last night with 2 of the 3 and as noted here by users more recently it does not seem to happen any more, which kinda stinks but at least they all match now.
post #20 of 1496 Old 01-07-2011, 10:30 AM

I bought the original Roku box and have upgraded to a new Apple TV. My biggest complaint with the Roku was the interface, which I feel is the Apple TV's biggest strength.

Though the interface is vastly improved with the new software (the previous version was limited to just your instant queue) it still seemed a bit clunky and slow and still was difficult to discover content. The new Rokus keep the same interface, but it may run faster on the upgraded hardware.

Being able to stream 1080p sounds great, but I do wonder how much additional bandwidth it requires compared to 720p. I have a decent cable internet connection in the downtown of a mid sized city, but occasionally have issues streaming netflix without interruption. Also, is any device displaying a true 1080p netflix stream, or is it just merely upscaling the 720p to 1080?

I am pleased with the video quality in both devices, but then again I do not expect to much out of any streaming service. For me, a streaming service is all about convenience and when I want quality, I watch a BD.
post #21 of 1496 Old 01-07-2011, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by syracuse26.2 View Post

I bought the original Roku box and have upgraded to a new Apple TV. My biggest complaint with the Roku was the interface, which I feel is the Apple TV's biggest strength.

Though the interface is vastly improved with the new software (the previous version was limited to just your instant queue) it still seemed a bit clunky and slow and still was difficult to discover content. The new Rokus keep the same interface, but it may run faster on the upgraded hardware.

Being able to stream 1080p sounds great, but I do wonder how much additional bandwidth it requires compared to 720p. I have a decent cable internet connection in the downtown of a mid sized city, but occasionally have issues streaming netflix without interruption. Also, is any device displaying a true 1080p netflix stream, or is it just merely upscaling the 720p to 1080?

I am pleased with the video quality in both devices, but then again I do not expect to much out of any streaming service. For me, a streaming service is all about convenience and when I want quality, I watch a BD.

Well I bought a Roku XDS, an Apple TV 2, and a PS3 slim. I plan to evaluate all then keep the winner. So far only tried the Roku. Fast and easy! It is so cool that there is a (secret) debug mode available that actually shows me the stream bitrate I am getting. Most of the HD streams want to be 3.8 mbps, and the SD movies come in at 1.5 mbps. In all cases, no matter what the stream is the Roku outputs 720p to my TV. THere is no option to have it upscale to 1080 ever. The only way this think would put out a 1080 signal is if it received a 1080 stream.

Pretty impressed so far by this little box. Unpacking the PS3 next.
post #22 of 1496 Old 01-07-2011, 10:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well I just tried the PWS and all I can say is wow! The PS3 is definitely better PQ on HD streams than the Roku. Remarkably so in fact. I am pretty sure the streams are 720p, but the PS3 has one heck of a good video scaler it appears. Better than my TV apparently.
post #23 of 1496 Old 01-07-2011, 11:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Well I just tried the PWS and all I can say is wow! The PS3 is definitely better PQ on HD streams than the Roku. Remarkably so in fact. I am pretty sure the streams are 720p, but the PS3 has one heck of a good video scaler it appears. Better than my TV apparently.

It's possible that you are getting 1080p on some streams on the PS3 (and currently only on the PS3). Look at the description of a title in the PS3 player's browser and if it says "5.1" it may have an available 1080p encoding as well. You can find some known streams with 5.1 sound and (some of us think) 1080p encodings in the "Official Netflix Watch Instantly 5.1/1080p Title List". It's not comprehensive, but it's slowly growing as people report "5.1"-labelled titles they find. (You may have to enable 5.1 sound for some of the titles; on the title's menu is an "audio and subtitles" submenu in which you can enable the 5.1 track).

Something else you might try on the PS3 is its Vudu player. Vudu is a pay-per-viewing-period streaming VOD service whose highest quality streams, called "HDX", are impressive. Install the app and register for the service and they'll give you $6 credit, enough to rent a new release title in HDX. Unfortunately, you have to download the VUDU player. Go to the PSN column of the XMB and choose "What's New", then select "VUDU HD Movies" to download the app and install it.

"
" -- hookbill
post #24 of 1496 Old 01-08-2011, 12:31 AM

Yeah try Vudu it will floor you.
post #25 of 1496 Old 01-08-2011, 05:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

It's possible that you are getting 1080p on some streams on the PS3 (and currently only on the PS3). Look at the description of a title in the PS3 player's browser and if it says "5.1" it may have an available 1080p encoding as well. You can find some known streams with 5.1 sound and (some of us think) 1080p encodings in the "Official Netflix Watch Instantly 5.1/1080p Title List". It's not comprehensive, but it's slowly growing as people report "5.1"-labelled titles they find. (You may have to enable 5.1 sound for some of the titles; on the title's menu is an "audio and subtitles" submenu in which you can enable the 5.1 track).

Something else you might try on the PS3 is its Vudu player. Vudu is a pay-per-viewing-period streaming VOD service whose highest quality streams, called "HDX", are impressive. Install the app and register for the service and they'll give you $6 credit, enough to rent a new release title in HDX. Unfortunately, you have to download the VUDU player. Go to the PSN column of the XMB and choose "What's New", then select "VUDU HD Movies" to download the app and install it.

I need to determine why the PS3 looks better than the Roku on HD streams. Either it is because the PS3 has access to a higher quality stream, or it is doing a better job upscaling from 720 to 1080 than my TV does (60PK550).

When I push the info button on the PS3 I see that the stream is called X-High HD, and the audio is stereo. Yes, I have 5.1 enabled. No 5.1 coming through.

Experiment: I am going to switch the PS3 output to 720p. Then I can compare how much of the PQ I am seeing is due to the 720-1080 scaling step in the PS3 vs in the TV.

Note: On BR and DVD playback I am observing approximately a 2% overscan. Is there any way to stop this and play 1:1 pixel map?
post #26 of 1496 Old 01-08-2011, 10:45 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Great thread, I will be getting super hi-speed cable internet service and want to get something to use with Netflix.

I'll introduce one other variable, I discovered that there are several blu-ray players that can also stream Netflix.

Have you considered this?

To those more experienced users, are there pros/cons to having a unit that combines both blu-ray and streaming functions? Is the PQ comparable?

Thanks!
post #27 of 1496 Old 01-09-2011, 06:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzdocxx View Post

Great thread, I will be getting super hi-speed cable internet service and want to get something to use with Netflix.

I'll introduce one other variable, I discovered that there are several blu-ray players that can also stream Netflix.

To those more experienced users, are there pros/cons to having a unit that combines both blu-ray and streaming functions? Is the PQ comparable?

Thanks!

Well in my quest I have tried the LG brp-550, which can be had for about 100 dollars. The BR playback is good, but the Netflix performance was not as good as the Roku and I can not recommend it. The streaming performance seemed to drop in and out of HD a lot. THe Netflix client in my TV (samsung PN58C6500) had the same performance btw. THe Roku seemed to hold the stream more reliably.

But honestly, it is so hard to compare these because performance depends so much on transient network issues and I can not possible stream two in parallel because I don't have enough bandwidth. Best I can do is give you my general observations from hours of viewing.
post #28 of 1496 Old 01-09-2011, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzdocxx View Post

Thanks!

I'll jump in here... I just purchased & hooked up an Oppo bdp-93. Previously I had been streaming Netflix on the Wii. First impressions:

Wii advantages: Ease in setup (super simple network connection); interface (can navigate up/down through categories when browsing, includes search function).

Oppo advantages: Picture quality (the wii is not & won't ever be HD); ability to use universal remote; better integration in a home theater environment.

The ability to use the IR remote & program it to my universal remote was a big selling point for me; I hated having to switch to the game console to watch movies, and the tracking with the wii/sensor bar was annoying if I was watching off to the side or too far from the screen; enough so that I was willing to give up the search function. The interfaces are comparable otherwise - on the Oppo you use the "up" button and then navigate across tabs to change categories.

I also noticed that the audio levels between streaming/disc matched much better on the Oppo than on the Wii.

The Oppo connection took a little setup... the player comes with a usb wifi receiver and a usb extension, so you can position for best reception. This is something to look for if going with wireless and a blu-ray solution, as a blu-ray player is more likely to be mounted in a rack or cabinet than a game console, and interfence could be an issue. Once set, the connection has been pretty reliable.

The Oppo does not have more than 2-channel audio for Netflix at this point (nor do any other blu-ray players... only the PS3 so far), but it has the capability, so it could be implemented down the line. Just keep in mind that many of the features/selling points are like that; they depend on *Netflix*, and what they are willing to push (resolution, 5.1 audio, interface), and not so much on the receiving device.
post #29 of 1496 Old 01-09-2011, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebard View Post

I'll jump in here... I just purchased & hooked up an Oppo bdp-93. Previously I had been streaming Netflix on the Wii. First impressions:

Wii advantages: Ease in setup (super simple network connection); interface (can navigate up/down through categories when browsing, includes search function).

Oppo advantages: Picture quality (the wii is not & won't ever be HD); ability to use universal remote; better integration in a home theater environment.

The ability to use the IR remote & program it to my universal remote was a big selling point for me; I hated having to switch to the game console to watch movies, and the tracking with the wii/sensor bar was annoying if I was watching off to the side or too far from the screen; enough so that I was willing to give up the search function. The interfaces are comparable otherwise - on the Oppo you use the "up" button and then navigate across tabs to change categories.

I also noticed that the audio levels between streaming/disc matched much better on the Oppo than on the Wii.

The Oppo connection took a little setup... the player comes with a usb wifi receiver and a usb extension, so you can position for best reception. This is something to look for if going with wireless and a blu-ray solution, as a blu-ray player is more likely to be mounted in a rack or cabinet than a game console, and interfence could be an issue. Once set, the connection has been pretty reliable.

The Oppo does not have more than 2-channel audio for Netflix at this point (nor do any other blu-ray players... only the PS3 so far), but it has the capability, so it could be implemented down the line. Just keep in mind that many of the features/selling points are like that; they depend on *Netflix*, and what they are willing to push (resolution, 5.1 audio, interface), and not so much on the receiving device.

The Oppo 93 was one of the players I listed in my original post starting this thread. I would love to get the Oppo, but from what I've been reading in the Oppo thread not many people are happy with its performance with Netflix streaming. I suspect that after some FW updates it may become great, but suppose it doesn't? I am concerned that Oppo may not consider Netflix streaming to be a high priority since many of the folks that buy top end AV grear like this may not be interested in the relatively low quality available online.

Have you tried any other Netflix devices other than the Oppo and the Wii for comparison?
post #30 of 1496 Old 01-09-2011, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

The Oppo 93 was one of the players I listed in my original post starting this thread. I would love to get the Oppo, but from what I've been reading in the Oppo thread not many people are happy with its performance with Netflix streaming. I suspect that after some FW updates it may become great, but suppose it doesn't? I am concerned that Oppo may not consider Netflix streaming to be a high priority since many of the folks that buy top end AV grear like this may not be interested in the relatively low quality available online.

Have you tried any other Netflix devices other than the Oppo and the Wii for comparison?

No, that is my entire experience.

I can tell you that source material via netflix definitely varries in quality. "Red Dwarf" episodes for example look terrible. I noticed some pixel "holdover" during motion scenes on some movies when I first hooked it up, but my connection was also less than perfect until I experimented with positioning the wifi receiver, so I suspect (though can't confirm) that reception had more to do with that than video processing. We watched "Home Alone 3" last night (yeah, I know, my son's choice...) on our 720p projector, and the quality at least matched a DVD.

Also keep in mind that the Oppo has 2 hdmi outputs, with different video processors, so that offers additional versatility. I understand that it is primarily a blu-ray device, however, and may not be ideal for someone whose main purpose is streaming media.
Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

Tags
Samsung Bd D6700 3d Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread - D6700 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page