Knew it was only a matter of time... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 21 Old 01-27-2011, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 31
The writing seems to be on the wall for free (ad supported) Hulu...

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...=ITP_pageone_0

-Suntan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 01-27-2011, 02:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Really nice article. Thanks. My issue with the whole Hulu problem is that I can't get Hulu on my Roku or my BD player but I can get Hulu Plus. In my opinion, the owners blew it when they did not carry all Hulu content on Hulu Plus.

I would have gladly paid the $7.99 or whatever if I could have gotten ALL the content on Hulu Plus. I would have even tolerated some ads but would also prefer a more expensive option to not see them. I think a lot of other people feel the same way. What were they thinking? The article does not appear to address that. If they do end up merging the two services back together and allow VOD streaming to my TV, I'll reconsider, but it might be too late by then.
post #3 of 21 Old 01-27-2011, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 116
+1 Taperwood

Vizio VP322 Plasma / Vizio GV42LF LCD / Denon 2200 Silicon Image DVD / Panasonic S97 Faroudja Genesis DVD / Oppo 970HD Mediatek DVD / Oppo 983H Anchor Bay DVD / Panasonic LX-600 Laserdisc / Aiwa MX100 Multi-region VCR / JVC S7600 S-VHS / PS2 / Sega Genesis / Nintendo SNES / Roku 2 XS & HD-XR / Realistic STA-90 Reciever / Realistic Minimus 7 / Antennacraft G1483 Hoverman / Belden 7915A RG6 / Channel Master 7777 Titan 2 UHF/VHF / Panasonic AX-200u / Optoma Graywolf 92" / Draper Luma 92"
post #4 of 21 Old 01-27-2011, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taperwood View Post

Really nice article. Thanks. My issue with the whole Hulu problem is that I can't get Hulu on my Roku or my BD player but I can get Hulu Plus. In my opinion, the owners blew it when they did not carry all Hulu content on Hulu Plus.

I would have gladly paid the $7.99 or whatever if I could have gotten ALL the content on Hulu Plus. I would have even tolerated some ads but would also prefer a more expensive option to not see them. I think a lot of other people feel the same way. What were they thinking? The article does not appear to address that. If they do end up merging the two services back together and allow VOD streaming to my TV, I'll reconsider, but it might be too late by then.

Well, I read elsewhere that hulu wanted to offer all content, but the cable channels said no because they didn't want their shows (entire seasons worth) available on TV attached STBs. Why would a person need to pay $100 a month for all of cable when they can get the 4 or 5 good shows for $8 was the argument...

It would be nice to get regular hulu directly on the STBs, but I know why they are doing it. Personally, I use Play On on the media server in the basement to serve hulu (not +) to the extenders throughout the house. It does cause PQ reduction, but the benefit is that I can buffer a show and then skip the commercials. I might pay $8 if they offered all the shows on regular Hulu (entire seasons, not the byzantine system of 4 at a time) but in HD and available on STB players. Hulu+ as it is (mostly shows I already DVR OTA for free) is useless to me.

-Suntan
post #5 of 21 Old 01-28-2011, 04:28 PM
Advanced Member

I'm going to bring up the law of diminishing returns again.

Everybody I've talked to lately about cable and streaming, etc., has always said they would drop it except there are one or two shows or events they can't give up. In essence, they are saying they are willing to pay $50 to $150 mo. for just those few things. I just shrug my shoulders and say fine, all the time thinking I can choose from 20,000 other options via streaming instead of fixating on that ONE thing.

The point is, the current cable/sat distribution model has people trapped into doing something they normally would not do, and that is paying a lot of money for a huge quantity of something they can't possibly use.

Do the math: 100 channels of cable x 24 hours is 2400 hours per day. Even if you watched TV 24 hours a day, you could only watch 1% of it. And unless you record it to, ahem, "stream" at a later time, once it has aired it's gone. You might get another chance to watch it but only at their discretion. So why are people being forced to pay so much money for something which they can only use 1%?
post #6 of 21 Old 01-28-2011, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 116
That is true.

VoD and Ala Carte via the internet are what I push.

And those that cannot give up ESPN or go to their buddies house on game night, can pay whatever outrageous amount for ESPN bundles, while others can purchase what they like.

Mass customization is coming.

Vizio VP322 Plasma / Vizio GV42LF LCD / Denon 2200 Silicon Image DVD / Panasonic S97 Faroudja Genesis DVD / Oppo 970HD Mediatek DVD / Oppo 983H Anchor Bay DVD / Panasonic LX-600 Laserdisc / Aiwa MX100 Multi-region VCR / JVC S7600 S-VHS / PS2 / Sega Genesis / Nintendo SNES / Roku 2 XS & HD-XR / Realistic STA-90 Reciever / Realistic Minimus 7 / Antennacraft G1483 Hoverman / Belden 7915A RG6 / Channel Master 7777 Titan 2 UHF/VHF / Panasonic AX-200u / Optoma Graywolf 92" / Draper Luma 92"
post #7 of 21 Old 01-28-2011, 04:41 PM

I think the most interesting part of the article is mention of Disney's contemplation of essentially becoming "online cable operator". I've always maintained that people when discussing internet television get tangled up in the conflation of two very different things: the delivery of television content over a different set of wires, and the model of providing aggregated content. I don't think cable operator's days are numbered. Rather, I think *how* they deliver their content is bound to change dramatically, and will move from real-time coax to on-demand over IP. Netflix is, in effect, on their way to becoming an "online cable operator". In the future competitive space Netflix and Comcast will offer largely competing product sets, IMHO.

It will come down to who offers the right value for the right subscription agreement. Netflix is excelling at that, with their focus on user experience and the evolution of their packages. Clearly the ad-supported model is dead, or destined for a supporting role.

Personally I think Hulu's main problem is a crappy user experience for searching and browsing the library and spotty and irregular content. Half the time you search on a show and all you get is a fistful of pointless short episode previews. WTF?
post #8 of 21 Old 01-28-2011, 04:44 PM

ESPN is putting more of their content online.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeVelocity View Post

That is true.

And those that cannot give up ESPN or go to their buddies house on game night, can pay whatever outrageous amount for ESPN bundles, while others can purchase what they like.

post #9 of 21 Old 01-28-2011, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironlight View Post

I think the most interesting part of the article is mention of Disney's contemplation of essentially becoming "online cable operator". I've always maintained that people when discussing internet television get tangled up in the conflation of two very different things: the delivery of television content over a different set of wires, and the model of providing aggregated content. I don't think cable operator's days are numbered. Rather, I think *how* they deliver their content is bound to change dramatically, and will move from real-time coax to on-demand over IP. Netflix is, in effect, on their way to becoming an "online cable operator". In the future competitive space Netflix and Comcast will offer largely competing product sets, IMHO.

It will come down to who offers the right value for the right subscription agreement. Netflix is excelling at that, with their focus on user experience and the evolution of their packages. Clearly the ad-supported model is dead, or destined for a supporting role.

You could look at Roku as a sort of online cable company. They sell you a box for a one time fee, and provide access to 'channels' some are free, others paid like Netflix and MLB. While displaying ads on their main interface.

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #10 of 21 Old 01-28-2011, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, Not as far east as Vegas
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeVelocity View Post

That is true.

If the internet infrastructure can handle it....

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)
post #11 of 21 Old 01-28-2011, 07:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cygnus2112 View Post

ESPN is putting more of their content online.

While I applaud them for that, you can only view it on computer or CE device. No streaming to my TV, at least easily anyway. To make matters worse is that I have Qwest DSL. They won't carry ESPN3. I'm stuck not watching it no matter what.

I was not happy that I could not watch the college championship between Auburn and Oregon, but I survived. Next year it won't be so painful to miss and the year after that I won't care.
post #12 of 21 Old 01-28-2011, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:

While I applaud them for that, you can only view it on computer or CE device. No streaming to my TV, at least easily anyway.

It's available on the Xbox, Boxee Box, etc.
post #13 of 21 Old 01-28-2011, 08:41 PM

There is an ESPN 3 app for XBox 360 connected to my HDTV. It works pretty well. I have been watching australian open tennis matches the last two weeks. ESPN is bringing more content online too. They are trying to hedge their bets if cable/sat cutting gets more prevalent. If XB gets NBA channel app, I would seriously consider getting rid of cable TV.

Quote:

While I applaud them for that, you can only view it on computer or CE device. No streaming to my TV, at least easily anyway. To make matters worse is that I have Qwest DSL. They won't carry ESPN3. I'm stuck not watching it no matter what.

I was not happy that I could not watch the college championship between Auburn and Oregon, but I survived. Next year it won't be so painful to miss and the year after that I won't care.

post #14 of 21 Old 01-28-2011, 11:43 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks for all the suggestions but I could buy 10 XBox's and still not be able to watch it. ESPN3 does not allow access from my ISP. Maybe it allows it special somehow through the XBox, I don't know, but even if I could get it I see no reason to buy yet another device just to watch a few sporting events each year. Kind of defeats the whole purpose, don't you think?

ESPN took the bowl games off broadcast TV for some unknown reason. I do not and will not support that. I really don't care what ESPN does anymore. There is no shortage of other things to do on weekends.
post #15 of 21 Old 01-29-2011, 08:33 AM

Quote:

Everybody I've talked to lately about cable and streaming, etc., has always said they would drop it except there are one or two shows or events they can't give up. In essence, they are saying they are willing to pay $50 to $150 mo. for just those few things. I just shrug my shoulders and say fine, all the time thinking I can choose from 20,000 other options via streaming instead of fixating on that ONE thing.

This is what I finally realized. We were paying $80 per month for cable and 90% of what we watch in a week is network TV, which we can get for free. So I was spending almost $1000 to be able to watch a random show every now and then on extended cable. I realized that there was a ton of ways I could spend that money better, without sacrificing entertainment. Yes, I will miss ESPN, but I can get ESPN3 online, and I am willing to put up with watching it online if that means saving the money.
post #16 of 21 Old 01-29-2011, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 115
I never watch sports so why should I pay to subsidize it? I get in arguments with people about ala carte but most of the time they are presuming my viewing habits are the same as theirs. There are months I watch maybe one show on a "cable" network where I could get away with just viewing those episodes streaming at $3 each or $12 a month versus $40.
post #17 of 21 Old 01-29-2011, 12:38 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Thanks for all the suggestions but I could buy 10 XBox's and still not be able to watch it. ESPN3 does not allow access from my ISP.
ESPN3 allows remote accessing. That means you can set up an account from another ISP. A friend or relative can do it on a participating ISP. Method for signing up vary among participating ISP's though. With that username and password, you could watch ESPN3.
post #18 of 21 Old 01-29-2011, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post

I never watch sports so why should I pay to subsidize it?

Because in many cases what you watch others don't so they are paying for you. Regardless what is fair in this world.
post #19 of 21 Old 01-29-2011, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitenack View Post

Yes, I will miss ESPN, but I can get ESPN3 online, and I am willing to put up with watching it online if that means saving the money.

Actually you won't be watching ESPN the channel(s). Rather you'll be watching a subset of programming missing valuable content such as the NFL. Now I'm not saying you won't find programming perfectly suited for your taste but overall the programming is predominately lower tier events.
post #20 of 21 Old 01-29-2011, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

Actually you won't be watching ESPN the channel(s). Rather you'll be watching a subset of programming missing valuable content such as the NFL. Now I'm not saying you won't find programming perfectly suited for your taste but overall the programming is predominately lower tier events.

True, but the majority of the NFL is on the network channels, which I get for free OTA. I'm willing to keep $80 in my pocket and give up Monday Night Football. Really, all I care about is SEC basketball, and ESPN3 does a good job with that.
post #21 of 21 Old 01-29-2011, 06:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WackyPacks View Post

ESPN3 allows remote accessing. That means you can set up an account from another ISP. A friend or relative can do it on a participating ISP. Method for signing up vary among participating ISP's though. With that username and password, you could watch ESPN3.

Ah, I see. That's if I had an XBox, of course, but it's unlikely I will get one for that alone. I do have a friend with cable who never watches sports. I could use his ISP as it is on ESPN3's list and could watch it on my computer. Better than nothing, I guess.

Thanks.
Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page