post #271 of 1362 Old 02-28-2011, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

I'd agree .. as we know, Hollywood has wanted the rental business to go away since the first tape was rented .. why .. ?? They don't get a piece of the action everytime a disk is rented .. remember when they started playing around with those self destruct disks .. ?? Once you watched it they became unplayable after a few days .. ??

oh man, Divx. Luckily, I never bought one of those. At least we still have a good compression scheme with that name...

though I think you are talking about Flexplay, which I never really saw.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 1362 Old 02-28-2011, 02:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked: 680
Quote:
Originally Posted by b_scott View Post

oh man, Divx. Luckily, I never bought one of those. At least we still have a good compression scheme with that name...

though I think you are talking about Flexplay, which I never really saw.

I can't remember the name of it .. just recall seeing a display at Staples and a couple other places years ago .. and they disappeared pretty fast ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #273 of 1362 Old 02-28-2011, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Currently I only have my laptop, connected via HDMI to TV, to access Amazon VOD. But am considering a Roku if the video quality is truly HD. What is the bitrate on a Roku XDS?

I had a VOD credit and just downloaded Inception, Amazon claims a PC download bitrate is 2500kbps, however my download was only 509kbps.
Also downloaded The American, bitrate was 537kbps.

EDIT: I was looking at the bitrate in Win Explorer. The bitrate reported by WMP and RealPlayer is 6.5Mbps ~ 6550kbps.
Quote:

Video Format Details - PC Download
File Size 2.3 GB
Bitrate 2500 kbps
Aspect Ratio 1.78:1
Audio Channels 5.1

LL

TiVo Roamio Pro, Premiere XL4, Premiere 2TB-WD20EURS, TiVo Mini
Win7 WMC SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime, Cisco Tuning Adapter Status Troubleshooting
post #274 of 1362 Old 02-28-2011, 04:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 953 Post(s)
Liked: 765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_CoxPHX View Post

Currently I only have my laptop, connected via HDMI to TV, to access Amazon VOD. But am considering a Roku if the video quality is truly HD. What is the bitrate on a Roku XDS?

I had a VOD credit and just downloaded Inception, Amazon claims a PC download bitrate is 2500kbps, however my download was only 509kbps.
Also downloaded The American, bitrate was 537kbps.

Were the filesizes as advertised (3.2 GB for Inception, 2.3 GB for The American)? 3.2 GB for the 2 hour, 29 minute long Inception works out to 2863 Kbps average; 2.3 GB for the 1 hour, 46 minute long The American works out to 2893 Kbps average.

EDIT: Since The American was a 99 cents rental, I decided to try downloading it to my PC--it won't let me do it. It only gives me the option of watching in the web player or downloading it to my TiVo.
EDIT: EDIT: I realized that I had to install Amazon's player to download to PC; I did that and now it's downloading The American which it says is 2.11 GB long, which'd average 2654 Kbps.
EDIT: EDIT: EDIT: Still downloading slowly (the player will do playback-while-downloading, so I suspect that it's not downloading full-tilt on purpose). Enough of the file is down that MediaInfo can process its header information; it says that the video is "2500 Kbps 704*369 (16:9), at 23.976 fps, VC-1 (Microsoft)(AP@L3)" and that the audio is "357 Kbps, 48.0 KHz, 24 bits, 6 channels, WMA(Pro)".

How do you arrive at the bit rates you quote?

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #275 of 1362 Old 02-28-2011, 06:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

How do you arrive at the bit rates you quote?

Initially I was looking at the bitrate in Windows Explorer. The bitrate reported by WMP and RealPlayer is reported as 6.5Mbps ~ 6550kbps.
LL
LL
LL

Win7 WMC SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime, Cisco Tuning Adapter Status Troubleshooting
post #276 of 1362 Old 02-28-2011, 06:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Initially I was looking at the bitrate in Windows Explorer. The bitrate reported by WMP and RealPlayer is reported as 6.5Mbps ~ 6550kbps.

Lots of misinformation (disprovable by simple math ). You should download MediaInfo.

Sadly, it seems that Amazon is reporting file sizes in Gibibytes (2^30th units), which renders my file size based average data rate numbers, which assumed 10^9th units, as under estimations.

post #277 of 1362 Old 02-28-2011, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

Lots of misinformation (disprovable by simple math ). You should download MediaInfo.

Sadly, it seems that Amazon is reporting file sizes in Gibibytes (2^30th units), which renders my file size based average data rate numbers, which assumed 10^9th units, as under estimations.

Yes, it is very confusing. So it appears WMC and RealPlayer report Maximum Overall bitrate.

MediaInfo for Inception
Overall bit rate mode : Variable
Overall bit rate : 2 884 Kbps
Maximum Overall bit rate : 6 536 Kbps
LL

post #278 of 1362 Old 02-28-2011, 08:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Yes, it is very confusing. So it appears WMC and RealPlayer report Maximum Overall bitrate.

MediaInfo for Inception
Overall bit rate mode : Variable
Overall bit rate : 2 884 Kbps
Maximum Overall bit rate : 6 536 Kbps

Which means what? Peak bit rate? More or less useless and ridiculously misleading, given the way that it's labelled merely "Bit Rate" . I think it's a bug.

post #279 of 1362 Old 03-01-2011, 11:05 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Another take on Amazon vs. NetFlix.
http://http://www.foxbusiness.com/in...lyst/?test=ent
post #280 of 1362 Old 03-01-2011, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by quentenstash View Post

Another take on Amazon vs. NetFlix.
http://www.foxbusiness.com/industrie...lyst/?test=ent

your link didn't work - fixed
post #281 of 1362 Old 03-04-2011, 05:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

On impulse, I bought a Roku XD to check Amazon streaming video out. The only other things I had to watch Amazon video on were my TiVo and my PC; TiVo's Amazon player is download-only and cannot be used to view Prime Eligible video and the only Prime Eligible HD video that you can stream to the PC are television episodes. I'd alway wanted to try a Roku, but having a PC, TiVo, Xbox and PS3 all connected to this 46" monitor and surround AVR, I'd never had an excuse to buy a dedicated streamer.

I have to say that I'm favorably impressed by the PQ. It's as good as the best I've seen on Netflix and when it has 5.1 sound that's quite good as well (its stereo sound is fine). I'm not certain how I'd feel about it if I'd paid $5 to see a new release film streamed in HD though--Vudu and Zune are quite a bit superior. The Roku Amazon player GUI is a bit lacking; kind of painful to browse with lots of wasted space which could have been used to present more thumbnails of available titles to me at once.

My one big gripe is that, when browsing Prime Eligible films, there's no way to tell whether they're available in HD or not. I was looking through the "Top Movies" under "Prime Instant Video" and the first half dozen I chose at random had HD encoding which it gave me (none had 5.1 sound); the next I chose was Jerry Macguire, which it didn't give me an HD stream for. If your browsing rentals or purchases, it tells you whether HD is available; if you're browsing HD Movie Rentals, everything's in HD and it tell you whether it has 5.1 sound or not.

The Roku itself is pretty slick. I'm not sure just how much use I'll end up making of it, but I'm definitely happy enough to own one .

post #282 of 1362 Old 03-05-2011, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Love my roku, but whenever I try to stream amazon it wont let me get a HD movie over an 802.11G wifi connection. I have no difficulty getting HD streams from netflix, but for some reason Amazon HD will not download. I suspect it's the comcast interrupted feed, which starts fast,but gradually slows down during long downloads. I think Amazon is balking at the cable speed variation. (just a guess) or it may have something to do with the audio format of the Amazon movies?

The Roku is great with Netflix, but roku + amazon (at least for me) has not been ideal - I do use it on occasion for new movies, but I have to stream them in SD on the older roku. I wouldn't want it to be my primary streaming source. I've recently gotten a new Roku (802.11 n) and havent tried amazon on that one yet because of it's location. It may solve the problem since throughput is increased. Network diagnostics show a 20 Mbps download over n --same as wired -- (but again, that is most likely that's not a consistent speed). For the moment, I'm sticking with Netflix and will be using amazon on occasion for impulse watching -- recent movies not yet available on Netflix stream.
post #283 of 1362 Old 03-08-2011, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

It looks like the studios might enter the streaming business as well. Warner will offer "The Dark Knight" on facebook for rent or purchase, other titles to follow.

Full story here >>> http://www.benzinga.com/trading-idea...tflix-nflx-twx

I want to hear opinions from people who don't have a dog in the fight.
post #284 of 1362 Old 03-08-2011, 07:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex solomon View Post
It looks like the studios might enter the streaming business as well. Warner will offer "The Dark Knight" on facebook for rent or purchase, other titles to follow.
I think the article is misdirected. Instead of competing with Netflix rather it's Amazon On Demand, VUDU and CimenaNow they are going to compete with (at least for the foreseeable future). $3 a pop isn't a threat to Netflix and the more VOD services there are makes it even hardier for the VOD guys to compete against Netflix. How many TV based media players are Facebook video enabled?
post #285 of 1362 Old 03-08-2011, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesnomaybe View Post

I do not believe B&M stores are in Amazons future. I think that BB is selling its assets and different companies will be bidding on the things they want. I don't think they are selling BB as an entity. I could also be completely wrong LOL

I certainly hope not. If they put any kind if B&M retail store in your state, there goes tax free shopping :-(
post #286 of 1362 Old 03-08-2011, 10:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

My point was the studios control the content and they may very well demand pay per view and and not give their content to all you can eat providers.

They don't really have that option. As 99% of the content they license to Netflix no one is going to pay VOD prices.
post #287 of 1362 Old 03-08-2011, 10:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

As a BB shareholder, I can tell you based on the info I get from the court, it looks like a full liquidation at this point ..

On the issue of sales tax, it's a misconception that there is no sales tax .. most states have a requirement that you pay the tax on Internet purchases made from retailers outside of the state you live in .. it is, of course, rarely enforced unless you buy a car, boat or some such .. the days of no sales tax are quickly coming to a close anyway with the pending legislation that is likely to pass in most all states .. that will require collection and payment ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #288 of 1362 Old 03-08-2011, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddster25 View Post

I certainly hope not. If they put any kind if B&M retail store in your state, there goes tax free shopping :-(

I pointed that out earlier.

Of course as law-abiding US citizens, we all report it on our taxes anyways, right?
post #289 of 1362 Old 03-08-2011, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

They don't really have that option. As 99% of the content they license to Netflix no one is going to pay VOD prices.

Not @ 5.99 but now this new service from Facebook cost $3.00 per movie and prices might go down further. If DVD/Blu-ray sales continues to slide, expect the studios to demand a lot more for their content than what Netflix currently pays them which will make all you can eat very expensive for Netflix. The way I see it to get new releases, we may have to pay VOD prices and I hope it will be reasonable enough.

post #290 of 1362 Old 03-08-2011, 11:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I seriously doubt Facebook is going to threaten NF at any time in the near future .. Amazon, maybe ..

Maybe they will start doing their own films .. "Son's of Farmville", "Flow Moves Into Cafe World" .. "Tyler Perry's Mafia Wars" ..

Uncle Willie

post #291 of 1362 Old 03-08-2011, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:

If DVD/Blu-ray sales continues to slide

Since inception Blu-ray disc sales, has, and continues to increase.

post #292 of 1362 Old 03-08-2011, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post

What about DVDs? You quoted a comment about *all* movie disc sales with a rebuttle about BRs...

Not up to speed with the figures and piecharts myself, but how are overall disc sales doing? up or down?

-Suntan
post #293 of 1362 Old 03-08-2011, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post

Of course, when you start from low base what do you expect? The studios have already stated that blu-ray adaption rate has been very slow and that DVD sales continue to slide while blu-ray failed to pick up the lost sales from DVD.

post #294 of 1362 Old 03-08-2011, 12:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Not @ 5.99 but now this new service from Facebook cost $3.00 per movie and prices might go down further.

They can't go low enough to make worthless content viable via VOD. There will always be (more everyday) titles that only have value from being offered in a package. No one is going to pay their associated costs any other way - it's spread across the number of subscribers. A good example is the titles Amazon is offering with Prime. Sure there are a few lose leaders but the rest are worthless. If they weren't the studios wouldn't license them for streaming. Rather they would keep them as VOD titles exclusively.

And if they lower valuable titles (like newer releases) it just makes it easier for subscription services to license them. At $6 a pop Netflix doesn't have a chance of offering them for $8 a month. Every time they get cheaper and chances go up.
post #295 of 1362 Old 03-08-2011, 12:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Not @ 5.99 but now this new service from Facebook cost $3.00 per movie and prices might go down further. If DVD/Blu-ray sales continues to slide, expect the studios to demand a lot more for their content than what Netflix currently pays them which will make all you can eat very expensive for Netflix. The way I see it to get new releases, we may have to pay VOD prices and I hope it will be reasonable enough.

The Dark Knight, from 2008, is not a $6/24-hour recent release film--it's $3 for 48 hours from Amazon in SD ($4 in HD); same on Zune.

post #296 of 1362 Old 03-08-2011, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mproper View Post

I pointed that out earlier.

Of course as law-abiding US citizens, we all report it on our taxes anyways, right?

Right! LOL
post #297 of 1362 Old 03-08-2011, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm thinking to buy the new Apple iPad and I would like to know if it is compatible with the Amazon Prime video streaming unlimited plan?
post #298 of 1362 Old 03-08-2011, 12:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

They can't go low enough to make worthless content viable via VOD. There will always be (more everyday) titles that only have value from being offered in a package. No one is going to pay their associated costs any other way - it's spread across the number of subscribers. A good example is the titles Amazon is offering with Prime. Sure there are a few lose leaders but the rest are worthless. If they weren't the studios wouldn't license them for streaming. Rather they would keep them as VOD titles exclusively.

And if they lower valuable titles (like newer releases) it just makes it easier for subscription services to license them. At $6 a pop Netflix doesn't have a chance of offering them for $8 a month. Every time they get cheaper and chances go up.

Agreed .. it's the age old idea of "Hey, we've made money on all this stuff, so let's make some more .. even if we have to give it away really cheap, something is always better than nothing .. ""

I'd venture to guess that if I had the cash, I could start "Joe's Unlimited Plan Streaming Service" and get some providers on board ..

Uncle Willie

post #299 of 1362 Old 03-08-2011, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kage View Post

I'm thinking to buy the new Apple iPad and I would like to know if it is compatible with the Amazon Prime video streaming unlimited plan?

Unless they have an Amazon streaming/VOD app, no.

post #300 of 1362 Old 03-08-2011, 06:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:

Of course, when you start from low base what do you expect? The studios have already stated that blu-ray adaption rate has been very slow and that DVD sales continue to slide while blu-ray failed to pick up the lost sales from DVD.

Do you know how many DVD players that are in use world wide? Know how many Blu-ray players in use world wide? Surely you can see where this is going and see how ridiculous it is to make such comments. Know how many devices that can stream and/or do PPV? That would be most everyone with a PC, > 90 million subs to cable and pizza dish, etc. Yet with that huge base of potential customers, the revenue of digital barely equals that for Blu-ray in 2010.

From Home Media Magazine:

Quote:

Blu-ray Disc was the fastest-growing home video medium last year. Blu-ray and other packaged media represented nearly 88% of all media consumed in 2010, with all forms of electronic distribution comprising the remaining 12%, according to Screen Digest.

Yet, since 2009, when the ratio was 90% disc and 10% digital, electronic distribution's overall market share has grown only about 2% year-over-year. Indeed, digital revenue reached $2.5 billion last year, up $400 million from 2009, according to DEG: The Digital Entertainment Group. Blu-ray software revenue increased $600 million to $2.1 billion, which represented a 15% surge above digital’s growth.

Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page