Amazon Prime Instant Video - Page 13 - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Video Components > Video Download Services & Hardware > Amazon Prime Instant Video

Video Download Services & Hardware

bt12483's Avatar bt12483
05:38 PM Liked: 10
post #361 of 1400
07-28-2011 | Posts: 798
Quote:
Originally Posted by b_scott View Post

you're not... you're paying for a shipping service, that as a side perk happens to have some videos streaming.

Netflix is a true streaming service, across all platforms.

Kind of like how I was paying for a DVD shipping service that as a side perk happened to have some videos streamed...
b_scott's Avatar b_scott
06:20 PM Liked: 17
post #362 of 1400
07-28-2011 | Posts: 6,679
Quote:
Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post

Kind of like how I was paying for a DVD shipping service that as a side perk happened to have some videos streamed...

exactly.
Suntan's Avatar Suntan
07:55 AM Liked: 49
post #363 of 1400
07-29-2011 | Posts: 7,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

There are some people signing up for Prime just to get the buffet streaming. I'd been a Prime member for years so for me the streams are gravy (much like Netflix streaming video was when they added it back in 2007 ).

If they had a good way to browse shows on the computer and queue them up for other devices, I would probably switch over to Amazon Prime (at least for a year) for the streaming. With the side benefit of the 2 day shipping.

-Suntan
Mr.G's Avatar Mr.G
08:01 AM Liked: 122
post #364 of 1400
07-29-2011 | Posts: 3,574
Quote:

I thought Netflix just got finished separating these two?
kizzo's Avatar kizzo
09:19 AM Liked: 11
post #365 of 1400
07-29-2011 | Posts: 893
Quote:
Originally Posted by b_scott View Post

you're not... you're paying for a shipping service, that as a side perk happens to have some videos streaming.

Netflix is a true streaming service, across all platforms.

Even so... no need to pay for Netflix when I get this side perk from Prime
Charles R's Avatar Charles R
10:33 AM Liked: 222
post #366 of 1400
07-29-2011 | Posts: 10,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by kizzo View Post

Even so... no need to pay for Netflix when I get this side perk from Prime

Only problem it's like getting a free glass of water when you rather have a beer.
spiritfox's Avatar spiritfox
11:02 AM Liked: 22
post #367 of 1400
07-29-2011 | Posts: 570
Quote:

There are some people signing up for Prime just to get the buffet streaming. I'd been a Prime member for years so for me the streams are gravy (much like Netflix streaming video was when they added it back in 2007 ).

I have to say I did join Prime this year because of the push from Amazon once they added their streaming, and now that I've used it for several months, I love it. Not necessarily for the streaming which I do use, but for the shipping which I think it great. I love ordering a blu ray and getting it in two days--so I'd definitely keep Prime even if they did away with streaming. But it is a nice additional benefit of Prime and one that I hope Amazon will continue to improve.
michaeltscott's Avatar michaeltscott
11:57 AM Liked: 794
post #368 of 1400
07-29-2011 | Posts: 17,942
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritfox View Post

I have to say I did join Prime this year because of the push from Amazon once they added their streaming, and now that I've used it for several months, I love it. Not necessarily for the streaming which I do use, but for the shipping which I think it great. I love ordering a blu ray and getting it in two days--so I'd definitely keep Prime even if they did away with streaming. But it is a nice additional benefit of Prime and one that I hope Amazon will continue to improve.

I've had Prime for years and I think that it has the intended effect on me. I shop everywhere, but most of the time, if I find a price better than Amazon's, that price + shipping is higher, and I'd usually have to wait twice as long to get it. I end up buying so much from Amazon over the year that the 2 day shipping on it all comes out to less than $2 an order. I think that the addition of Prime Eligible Instant Video and other things which they might add are primarily intended to lure more people into membership so that the no-additional-cost 2 day shipping can have its effect.

When I first signed up for Prime, I purchased an Onkyo HTiB with a shipping weight of 108 lbs. To amuse myself I paid the extra $4 for overnight shipping, which, for a package that size, would easily have cost more than my year's Prime membership fee + $4. It was a couple of weeks before I set the thing up and I'd known that it would be .
Will2007's Avatar Will2007
01:31 PM Liked: 143
post #369 of 1400
07-29-2011 | Posts: 1,938
Quote:

When I first signed up for Prime, I purchased an Onkyo HTiB with a shipping weight of 108 lbs. To amuse myself I paid the extra $4 for overnight shipping, which, for a package that size, would easily have cost more than my year's Prime membership fee + $4. It was a couple of weeks before I set the thing up and I'd known that it would be .

That is amusing.
spiritfox's Avatar spiritfox
01:37 PM Liked: 22
post #370 of 1400
07-29-2011 | Posts: 570
Quote:

I've not used the one day shipping--at least not on purpose--but I did order a rather heavy Marantz 6005 receiver on a Saturday--and it didn't process until Monday evening. Well I figured I wouldn't get it on the promised day of Tuesday. I was wrong--Amazon sent it one-day FedEx air and I got it by noon on Tuesday. So for me, yes--I'd say Prime is worth it.
42Plasmaman's Avatar 42Plasmaman
02:13 PM Liked: 37
post #371 of 1400
07-29-2011 | Posts: 5,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

Only problem it's like getting a free glass of water when you rather have a beer.

But why pay for filtered water(netflix streaming)?
bt12483's Avatar bt12483
03:07 PM Liked: 10
post #372 of 1400
07-29-2011 | Posts: 798
Quote:

Thats funny considering the recent CBS and NBC deals that Amazon signed look to be largely identical to the ones that Netflix signed with the same companies.

So if that content is good for Netflix it is inherently good for Amazon right?
tgferg67's Avatar tgferg67
06:41 PM Liked: 10
post #373 of 1400
07-29-2011 | Posts: 197
Quote:

Thats funny considering the recent CBS and NBC deals that Amazon signed look to be largely identical to the ones that Netflix signed with the same companies.

The Netflix deal with NBC was 300 million, the Amazon deal with NBC was 50 million. Is there that much a content difference or does Netflix pay so much more because it has more suscribers?
bt12483's Avatar bt12483
09:23 PM Liked: 10
post #374 of 1400
07-29-2011 | Posts: 798
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgferg67 View Post

The Netflix deal with NBC was 300 million, the Amazon deal with NBC was 50 million. Is there that much a content difference or does Netflix pay so much more because it has more suscribers?

not sure. but there is content overlap.
09:35 PM Liked: 222
post #375 of 1400
Quote:

Don't be silly. Netflix has over 28,000 titles (tons worth watching). Last I looked Amazon had about one title I wanted to actually watch. If that changes too much the price will follow. A good example might be Mad Men was recently added by Netflix... Amazon? Sure they have some worthwhile content but even at free (paid via your shipping) I think Netflix is still a better bargain.
09:44 PM Liked: 794
post #376 of 1400
07-29-2011 | Posts: 17,942
Quote:

Don't be silly. Netflix has over 28,000 titles (tons worth watching). Last I looked Amazon had about one title I wanted to actually watch.

Where'd you get that number? InstantWatcher.com says 12470 (of course, at this point Amazon only has about 2600).
mproper's Avatar mproper
09:45 PM Liked: 13
post #377 of 1400
07-29-2011 | Posts: 7,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgferg67 View Post

Well, it could be a combination of the content, the number of subscribers, the number of devices capable of streaming it to TVs. Could also be the length of the license (not sure if they are annual licenses or not). I'm sure there's other factors I'm just not thinking of as well.

Anyways, could be a variety of things, so without access to the contracts, we don't know.

Are those numbers confirmed? All I had heard was speculation that the Netflix/NBC deal "could be worth as much as 300 million" but no confirmation. Couldn't find anything concrete for either deal with a quick search.
09:49 PM Liked: 222
post #378 of 1400
Quote:

Where'd you get that number? InstantWatcher.com says 12470 (of course, at this point Amazon only has about 2600).

Netflix has 130,000 Movies & TV Shows, 28,000 Streaming Titles (4,315 in HD)

http://www.hackingnetflix.com/2010/0...315-in-hd.html

I have seen similar numbers quoted several other places as well.

Another quote...

On paper, Netflix's selection of about 20,000 titles beats out Amazon Prime's 5,000 titles, but there's a chance Amazon Prime could have the same popular titles as Netflix, right? Wrong.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41747069...ch-better-you/
bt12483's Avatar bt12483
05:52 AM Liked: 10
post #379 of 1400
07-30-2011 | Posts: 798
Quote:

Don't be silly. Netflix has over 28,000 titles (tons worth watching). Last I looked Amazon had about one title I wanted to actually watch. If that changes too much the price will follow. A good example might be Mad Men was recently added by Netflix... Amazon? Sure they have some worthwhile content but even at free (paid via your shipping) I think Netflix is still a better bargain.

I never said Amazon had more content. I said they have redundant content.

Netflix NBCU Press Release:
Quote:
NEW YORK and LOS GATOS, Calif. - July 13, 2011 - Netflix, Inc. (Nasdaq: NFLX) and NBCUniversal Domestic Television Distribution today announced a multi-year renewal of their licensing agreement expanding the selection of non-exclusive NBCU film and TV library titles available to watch instantly streaming from Netflix.

Programming under the deal includes prior-season series across multiple NBCU networks, including NBC hits “The Office," "30 Rock" and “Parenthood.” All future seasons of these shows will be available on Netflix on a one season delay basis. Under the deal, Netflix members will also be able to enjoy prior season episodes of “Law and Order: SVU” and “The Event.”

Also available to watch instantly streaming from Netflix will be shows from NBCUniversal’s cable networks including prior season episodes of “Warehouse 13,” “Psych,” “Keeping Up with the Kardashians” and “Kimora: Life in the Fab Lane”; classic television series such as "Leave it to Beaver,” “Adam 12” and “Crossing Jordan”; and such great Universal Pictures movies as “Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind” and “The Motorcycle Diaries.”

http://www.nbcumv.com/mediavillage/d...0573941587.xml

Amazon NBCU Press Release:
Quote:
Deal Will Allow Amazon Prime Members to Stream Select Universal Pictures Films

Amazon.com (NASDAQ:AMZN) today announced a licensing agreement with NBCUniversal Domestic TV Distribution that will allow Amazon Prime members to stream select Universal Pictures movies through Prime Instant Video. This deal with Amazon will bring the total number of Prime instant videos to more than 9,000 movies and TV shows this summer.

Amazon Prime customers will be able to instantly watch popular Universal movies at no additional cost to their membership. Universal titles available to Prime customers will include Oscar winners such as "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind," "Elizabeth," and "Gosford Park." For the kids, there's "Babe," "Flipper," and "Jetsons - The Movie," as well as other favorites like "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas," "Notting Hill," "Being John Malkovich", "Fletch," and "Billy Elliott."

"We are very excited to offer Prime members popular Universal films at no additional cost," said Cameron Janes, director of Amazon Instant Video. "Our customers love movies and now we offer them more than 2,000 movies to choose from with Prime Instant Video."

http://www.engadget.com/2011/07/28/a...l-adds-fear-a/

Quite simply you were downplaying (water vs beer) the content Amazon acquired via the recent CBS and NBC deals, even though a lot of the content is redundant to Netflix. So please explain to me how "Eternal Sunshine..." is water on Amazon but apparently is beer on Netflix? That seems rather...hypocritical. Same movie, two different services, one is water, the other is beer. Were you chastising the Netflix service 3 years ago when it was a free add-on to the DVD service and they were acquiring "water" content??? Amazon is following a very very similar path to Netflix...yet apparently Amazon is just "water".

Oh, and most of those "28,000 titles" are TV episodes...they just use those numbers to pad the stats and for advertising purposes. That goes for both Amazon and Netflix. The actual amount of unique movies and TV shows is far far less. Only in advertising land is an individual episode of a TV series a "title".
06:42 AM Liked: 222
post #380 of 1400
07-30-2011 | Posts: 10,279
Quote:

Quite simply you were downplaying (water vs beer) the content Amazon acquired via the recent CBS and NBC deals, even though a lot of the content is redundant to Netflix.

Attempting to define the value of each service via one individual deal (or movie in your case) is rather silly. Beyond logical. Enough so that my ignore list has grown.
bt12483's Avatar bt12483
07:25 AM Liked: 10
post #381 of 1400
07-30-2011 | Posts: 798
Quote:

Attempting to define the value of each service via one individual deal (or movie in your case) is rather silly.

But it wasn't one deal or one movie. Those were merely examples.

Clearly it is known that both Amazon and Netflix recently secured new CBS and NBC deals. For the record, that is no less than 2 deals.

As such, both services now have Star Trek, in addition to other redundant content already mentioned.

So clearly, it is not "one individual deal (or movie)".

Quote:

Beyond logical. Enough so that my ignore list has grown.

I've seen this tactic before...when challenged...place that person on ignore.
09:53 AM Liked: 794
post #382 of 1400
07-30-2011 | Posts: 17,942
Quote:

Netflix has 130,000 Movies & TV Shows, 28,000 Streaming Titles (4,315 in HD)

http://www.hackingnetflix.com/2010/0...315-in-hd.html

I have seen similar numbers quoted several other places as well.

Another quote...

On paper, Netflix's selection of about 20,000 titles beats out Amazon Prime's 5,000 titles, but there's a chance Amazon Prime could have the same popular titles as Netflix, right? Wrong.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41747069...ch-better-you/

I think perhaps those streaming title numbers (both Netflix and Amazon) include individual television series episodes. Some long running television series have hundreds of episodes available, but appear in Netflix's catalog as a single entry.
12:16 PM Liked: 222
post #383 of 1400
Quote:

I think perhaps those streaming title numbers (both Netflix and Amazon) include individual television series episodes. Some long running television series have hundreds of episodes available, but appear in Netflix's catalog as a single entry.

Could well be. The first link has a link to the numbers themselves however I didn't follow it. Of course some series have over a 100 episodes (like Bones). It would be a shame to treat them as one title since they are equivalent to approximately 40 movies.
bgooch's Avatar bgooch
05:40 PM Liked: 13
post #384 of 1400
07-30-2011 | Posts: 1,761
By Ryan Lawler Jul. 28, 2011, 10:20am PT

. . . With an expanded content library and a key asset acquired to help it play in the consumer electronics market, we could see Amazon become much more aggressive in its pursuit of Netflix. And it couldn't have come at a better time: With Netflix customer approval at what seems like an all-time low, Amazon Prime could have a real opportunity to win over some of its customers with a slightly cheaper annual subscription that also includes free shipping. . .

http://gigaom.com/video/amazon-prime...x-competition/
06:35 PM Liked: 794
post #385 of 1400
Quote:

Could well be. The first link has a link to the numbers themselves however I didn't follow it. Of course some series have over a 100 episodes (like Bones). It would be a shame to treat them as one title since they are equivalent to approximately 40 movies.

Bones ain't a long-running series (yet). They have 12 seasons of Law & Order: Special Victims Unit consisting of 248 episode (there were 14 seasons of the original Law & Order but it's not up for streaming), 11 seasons of Stargate: SG-1 for 213 episodes, etc, etc.

I think that they should count them separately: xxx movies, yyy television series with a total of zzz episodes. Counting the TV episodes as separate titles, equal to the movies, seems like cheating, particularly when there are so many sitcoms with 22 minute episodes.
mproper's Avatar mproper
06:58 PM Liked: 13
post #386 of 1400
07-30-2011 | Posts: 7,043
Quote:

Bones ain't a long-running series (yet).

What do you consider long running? That's been on since 2005 and is through 6 seasons. By today's standards, that's long-running.

Granted, I have no seen a single episode, but anything that lasts more than 2 or 3 seasons now seems "long" to me since pretty much anything I like gets cancelled.

Just my 2 cents.
07:19 PM Liked: 222
post #387 of 1400
Quote:

I think that they should count them separately: xxx movies, yyy television series with a total of zzz episodes. Counting the TV episodes as separate titles, equal to the movies, seems like cheating, particularly when there are so many sitcoms with 22 minute episodes.

I understand your point and who wouldn't want to know more information instead of less. Actually, you hardly ever see Netflix proclaiming numbers do you? In most cases it's people hunting, guessing and whatnot. For me Netflix (streaming wise) is more about TV series so I'm more inclined to care about the number of episodes. Do they have one season of Bones or... If I had to guess I'd say it's probably at least 10 to 1 the number of hours of TV versus movies. If I had to live with only one number I'd go with total streaming hours available.

Take Mad Men for example. Those who never caught it when it aired are in for a real treat. I have screened 24, Doc Martin, Bones, Weeds, Damages, Sons of Anarchy and almost countless others (although AT&T seems to count them fine). I find the attachment level much more enjoyable and if I want to see a movie more than likely I have caught it long before it hits streaming. Not to say I haven't found a lot of good indie stuff I wouldn't have else wise.
07:32 PM Liked: 794
post #388 of 1400
Quote:
Originally Posted by mproper View Post

What do you consider long running? That's been on since 2005 and is through 6 seasons. By today's standards, that's long-running.

Granted, I have no seen a single episode, but anything that lasts more than 2 or 3 seasons now seems "long" to me since pretty much anything I like gets cancelled.

Just my 2 cents.

Six seasons still ain't nothing compared to other quality television. I suppose I'll call it long running after it completes its 8th season--good television series generally make it through 7. And I'm not comparing anything to crappy shows (and sometimes good shows with limited appeal) that somehow stumble through one or two seasons which didn't really have a chance in the first place. I'm talking about long running when compared to any primetime television series (there are daytime soaps that have been on the air for multiple decades).
bt12483's Avatar bt12483
06:02 AM Liked: 10
post #389 of 1400
07-31-2011 | Posts: 798
Quote:

...I think that they should count them separately: xxx movies, yyy television series with a total of zzz episodes. Counting the TV episodes as separate titles, equal to the movies, seems like cheating, particularly when there are so many sitcoms with 22 minute episodes.

Its clearly a way to inflate the numbers. Netflix started it, Amazon followed:
Quote:

Then there's the issue of what Amazon considers a "title." It turns out every single episode of a TV series counts as a title. So looking at, say, "24," which had eight seasons with 24 episodes each, that counts as 192 titles. When you start racking up whole TV seasons, you hit the 5,000 mark pretty quickly.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2380813,00.asp

Likewise for Netflix, when you add up all the TV show episodes that count as a "title", you get to 20000 pretty quickly.
b_scott's Avatar b_scott
12:29 PM Liked: 17
post #390 of 1400
08-01-2011 | Posts: 6,679
Quote:

we're twins, I bought the exact same thing (well, an Onkyo Receiver) and got Prime for the same reason

Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

Subscribe to this Thread