14Likes

Old 02-07-2012, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

Viacom, which owns TV shows and movies from MTV Networks, Nickelodeon and Paramount Studios, would be the latest of several partners Amazon has made deals with for its Prime Instant Video service. So far, major studios such as CBS Corp, Time Warner Inc's Warner Bros, News Corp's Fox, Sony Corp, Comcast Corp's NBC Universal and Walt Disney Co have licensed programming to the retailer.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Amazon...52344.html?x=0

Now if Amazon can improve it's UI it might be worth using.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2012, 08:37 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Is anyone able to watch Amazon Prime movies in HD on a HTPC?

I can watch TV series in HD (HTPC is capable and internet bandwidth not a problem) with no issues. When I try to watch movies however, I never get an HD option and they are always presented in widescreen 480p only.

Any thoughts?

habe
Old 02-09-2012, 09:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Amazon movies on a PC are SD-only, even the paid-for-on-demand ones. TV episodes can be viewed in HD on a PC, but not movies.

Bob Simandl ... somewhere near St. Louis
Old 02-10-2012, 10:30 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Thanks for the response Robert. Thats what I figured was happening. I just emailed Amazon to see if there was any chance of a little HD movie love for HTPC users in the future....

habe
Old 02-10-2012, 11:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1022 Post(s)
Liked: 785
A number of services which offer titles to view on PC are like that, including VUDU (Microsoft's Zune service is one exception--you can download movies to your PC in 720p).

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
Old 02-14-2012, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 35
It looks like Amazon Prime is not as popular as hoped:
http://news.cnet.com/8301-31001_3-57...ht-report-says

Need help with your Motorola DVR? Check the Wikibook: How to use a Motorola DVR
Old 02-15-2012, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
I was already in Prime, but I don't even use the service. I think it's a nice bonus if you want it, but it's not a reason to sign up.
Old 02-15-2012, 12:26 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 448 Post(s)
Liked: 443
I think a lack of players with the software to view the streaming titles is probably contributing to the slow uptake on the service. The one time charge of $79 may also be a problem when compared to far smaller monthly charges via Netflix.
Old 02-15-2012, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by b_scott View Post

I was already in Prime, but I don't even use the service. I think it's a nice bonus if you want it, but it's not a reason to sign up.

Almost the same here, I do use Prime for shipping quite often.

And folks need to remember, Netflix streaming rode into town on a DVD truck.
Old 02-15-2012, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

I think a lack of players with the software to view the streaming titles is probably contributing to the slow uptake on the service. The one time charge of $79 may also be a problem when compared to far smaller monthly charges via Netflix.

true. But it's still cheaper than streaming only Netflix for the same year.

You're right, I think lack of players is a big part.
Old 02-15-2012, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 167
I was using a Samsung C5500 and Samsung claimed they would be getting the Amazon app but two years later and they still don't have it. I had reward points for a Sony player so got it and it has Amazon along with Vudu, Netflix and Sony's own streaming service and a few others. Doesn't have Vimeo and being that's a camera competitor's site probably won't. Haven't watched that much on Amazon but it does give me more of a choice especially for cable cutting.
Old 02-15-2012, 04:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

I may be wrong but I doubt most Amazon Prime members got it for the videos. I look at it as an additional benefit. But the primary reason for Prime is expedited free shopping.

Bob

Old 02-15-2012, 04:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I believe that they add the extras like Prime Instant Video to Amazon Prime membership to enhance the appeal of membership and not to sell the extra. The hope is that Prime members will buy a much larger percentage of what they buy online from Amazon given the no-additional-charge 2 day shipping; I know that's true of me. When I price search stuff online in the great majority of cases price+shipping is lower from Amazon for Prime-shipping-eligible items.

Jeff Bezos has stated that they have plans to add even more benefits to Prime membership (beyond shipping, Instant Video and the Kindle Lending Library).

Old 02-15-2012, 04:56 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritfox View Post

I may be wrong but I doubt most Amazon Prime members got it for the videos. I look at it as an additional benefit. But the primary reason for Prime is expedited free shopping.

I agree, my point was that unless they start offering the streaming as a stand-alone service to non-Prime members I doubt they'll get much traction with it, people just don't like to spend $80 in one whack, even if it is cheaper, I think most would be more comfortable with a monthly charge ala Netflix.

I too have Prime and have found it to be a spectacular deal given the amount of goods I purchase from Amazon, I've purchased several very heavy items in just the last year that would have cost at least several years worth of the membership cost in shipping charges. When I search for an item I automatically check the "Prime" box first to see what's available with the free shipping, if it's not there only then do I look at all the sellers offers.

As far as their streaming, I can take it or leave it. I've made use of their downloadable video, watched the first season of Breaking Bad that way, but I've never really tried their streaming. If they get it on a TiVo, or a PS3, then I might make use of it.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I joined Prime years ago when it was just a shipping deal. When they added free video streaming, it had enough stuff I was interested in to get me to add a Roku to my theater - and extend my internet connection to my projector-based theater for it.

There's so much stuff available both through Prime and otherwise thru the Roku (check out Classical TV, which includes jazz and blues) that I'd never get rid of it.

The quality of 720p through the Roku is highly variable, from dismal to great. For an example of the latter, check out Firefly from Prime - not far down from Blu-ray in quality - but not while I'm watching, please!

I chose the Roku because it is one of the few devices that gives me 5.1 DD from Prime, mostly on movies, but the Firefly tv series is carried by Prime in 5.1. (My AVR is pre-HDMI, so I got a first-generation XDS for its optical audio output. I use 5.1 analog for Blu-ray.)

The addition of a lot of PBS stuff was a boon, but I'm mainly a music and sci-fi guy - also check out Pushing Daisies (decent 1/2 HD) and Farscape (the latter in SD) both from Prime.

Old 02-15-2012, 05:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I too have Prime and have found it to be a spectacular deal given the amount of goods I purchase from Amazon, I've purchased several very heavy items in just the last year that would have cost at least several years worth of the membership cost in shipping charges.

I entered my sixth year of Prime membership this month. I've told this story elsewhere in these forums, but when I got my first membership I ordered an Onkyo HTiB with a package weight of 107 lbs and for grins and chuckles had it shipped overnight for an additional $4. It was weeks before I got around to setting the thing up and I knew that it would be .

Old 02-15-2012, 05:28 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

I entered my sixth year of Prime membership this month. I've told this story elsewhere in these forums, but when I got my first membership I ordered an Onkyo HTiB with a package weight of 107 lbs and for grins and chuckles had it shipped overnight for an additional $4. It was weeks before I got around to setting the thing up and I knew that it would be .

Yeah, the Prime shipping and the ridiculously easy return policy and procedure makes trying out new stuff far too easy!
Old 02-16-2012, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I agree, my point was that unless they start offering the streaming as a stand-alone service to non-Prime members I doubt they'll get much traction with it, people just don't like to spend $80 in one whack, even if it is cheaper, I think most would be more comfortable with a monthly charge ala Netflix.

Amazon Not Launching Standalone SVOD Service
Quote:

Amazon reportedly is not planning to supplant Amazon Prime with a domestic standalone subscription service aimed at taking on Netflix directly.

Quote:

Yeah, the Prime shipping and the ridiculously easy return policy and procedure makes trying out new stuff far too easy!

If you abuse it then in the end we will all lose. To return a defective item is one thing, to use a service to audition something is abuse IMO.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post

If you abuse it then in the end we will all lose. To return a defective item is one thing, to use a service to audition something is abuse IMO.

No more so than buying something in a B&M and returning it because you don't like it. If you're honest about returning it because you don't like it or because you ordered incorrectly (i.e., reasons which aren't Amazon or the manufacturer's fault), Amazon will subtract the cost of return shipping from your refund. Abusive would be pretending that something is defective to get free return shipping.

Old 02-16-2012, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No more so

I know all of that. But you and I both know people will abuse the system and in the end we pay via higher merchandise cost.

I have been a Amazon customer for many years and have purchased many items from them (> 300 Blu-ray disc, monitors, hard drives, etc.) and returned three items. Two were defective, one was a Blu-ray title ordered by mistake, the title was a duplicate of a title already purchased.
Old 02-16-2012, 11:27 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

No more so than buying something in a B&M and returning it because you don't like it. If you're honest about returning it because you don't like it or because you ordered incorrectly (i.e., reasons which aren't Amazon or the manufacturer's fault), Amazon will subtract the cost of return shipping from your refund. Abusive would be pretending that something is defective to get free return shipping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post

I know all of that. But you and I both know people will abuse the system and in the end we pay via higher merchandise cost.

I have been a Amazon customer for many years and have purchased many items from them (> 300 Blu-ray disc, monitors, hard drives, etc.) and returned three items. Two were defective, one was a Blu-ray title ordered by mistake, the title was a duplicate of a title already purchased.

For the record, I've purchased many, many thousands of dollars(at minimum $25K plus) of merchandise from Amazon and have returned less than 10 items, and of those items I've paid the return shipping on all but 1.

One of the reasons I shop at Amazon is because of the shipping costs and return policies. It is becoming increasingly more difficult to even find items at local B&M stores to even audition them, being able to buy it and try it out from Amazon, with the ability to return it at minimal cost and effort means I'm far more likely to make a purchase that I may not have made otherwise due to lack of availability. One of the primary reasons for Prime is to get people to spend more, Amazon is very aware of and has no doubt factored in the cost of people returning merchandise.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:35 PM
AVS Special Member

I have been an Amazon customer for several years(not a Prime member though) and I've noticed lately that they no longer have the best prices on many items, I can find them cheaper at B&M stores(Walmart, Home Depot, etc). The only thing I really buy anymore on Amazon is BD or rent a VOD, they still have the best prices on movies.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by moviegeek View Post

I have been an Amazon customer for several years(not a Prime member though) and I've noticed lately that they no longer have the best prices on many items, I can find them cheaper at B&M stores(Walmart, Home Depot, etc). The only thing I really buy anymore on Amazon is BD or rent a VOD, they still have the best prices on movies.

They say the shipping is free with prime but I've noticed the heavier items seems to have bigger margins than lightweight items. Maybe it's just me.

The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye911 View Post

They say the shipping is free with prime but I've noticed the heavier items seems to have bigger margins than lightweight items. Maybe it's just me.

Are you saying that the heavier items are relatively more expensive? That may be true but usually other e-tailers' price+shipping will be higher (particularly price+2nd-day shipping ). I do price search and if I find a price+shipping that's lower than the item shipped Prime and I'm not in a hurry to get whatever it is, I'll buy it elsewhere.

Old 02-18-2012, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

Amazon will price match. Bought a 55d8000 from them, found a lower price online, and they refunded the difference.

Old 02-18-2012, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddUGA View Post

Amazon will price match. Bought a 55d8000 from them, found a lower price online, and they refunded the difference.

That's kind of weird because sometimes when you look at a prime item it will indicate you can get it cheaper from other sources. Maybe they just price-match non-prime items.

The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out.
Old 02-18-2012, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddUGA View Post

I wasn't aware of that, I'll remember that next time I buy a big ticket item. For cheaper items it's still easier to buy it at a B&M store...even with the sales tax.
Old 02-18-2012, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:

For cheaper items it's still easier to buy it at a B&M store...even with the sales tax.

Assuming one can find said items which is where the vast catalog on Amazon has the advantage that no B&M can match.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

Old 02-18-2012, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I doubt they'd price match their Marketplace vendors - it would kill the Marketplace in short order. I suspect they'll only price-match advertised prices from other major merchants.

I just went cruising around the My Account page and couldn't find any reference to price matching. Where is it?

Old 02-18-2012, 11:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philnick View Post

I just went cruising around the My Account page and couldn't find any reference to price matching. Where is it?

See this at Amazon's site. Their official policy is that they do it for TVs but nothing else (and only for TV prices found online from a list of eligible e-tailers).