Amazon Prime Instant Video - Page 24 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #691 of 1271 Old 04-04-2012, 07:46 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
My issues are that a) there's no subtitles for all or most of Amazon's content. Lame. b) everything goes through DD 5.1, so for stereo content you can't use Prologic. I don't understand the reasoning.

I like the UI a lot, though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #692 of 1271 Old 04-04-2012, 10:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 461
Though it is hands down the best Amazon player that I've seen, I don't think that I can live with the fan noise from my venerable old PS3. Hopefully they bring it to Xbox--my Xbox S is silent when streaming video.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #693 of 1271 Old 04-04-2012, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 104
To Catch a Thief (1955). A nice find I came across last night.

I was intrigued because this released on Blu-ray in early March 2012 and I was almost ready to order this Hitchcock classic then but held off.

This title is in HD/stereo and is presently not offered for streaming on Netflix. I thought it looked great on my set-up. Recommended if you like the older classics.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #694 of 1271 Old 04-04-2012, 03:29 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

Though it is hands down the best Amazon player that I've seen, I don't think that I can live with the fan noise from my venerable old PS3. Hopefully they bring it to Xbox--my Xbox S is silent when streaming video.

Apparently it's in the works:
http://blog.streamingmedia.com/the_b...azon-xbox.html
post #695 of 1271 Old 04-04-2012, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Bring it to the iPad and I'll Airplay it.
post #696 of 1271 Old 04-05-2012, 02:50 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 578
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post

No DD for me either (Slim here). Fooling around with the freebies- it's forcing PCM to 7 channel output. Not good. That's exactly the same problem that Vudu had before they fixed it. Apparently Sony doesn't care enough to get the sound right.

I also found a bug (at least on my setup with the harmony remote/receiver)- If I press stop it bring up the info/play bar and then I'm locked out, none of the other buttons work. I have to quit the app to get functionality back. Ouch. Big problem there.

This is what I ran into which is borked. The PS3 is sending all the audio in a 7.1 wrapper. So whether it stereo or 5.1 it's being sent as 7.1 which means no post processing can be applied which sounds like crap. It's like watching TV back in the 80s again with a stereo source since you only have audio from the FL/FR.

I'm sure I can force it to output the correct audio by messing around with the audio settings, but then I would need to do that constantly. The Netflix app outputs the audio properly. stereo is output as stereo and 5.1 is output as 5.1. Then I can apply Dolby Prologic IIx Cinema to it to create a 7.1. sound field.

This was the reason I never considered using VUDU on the PS3 when it had the same issue. And I can't consider using Amazon because of this either. Sony seems to have a policy of borking the audio from these Apps. Or do they just have no idea how to send the audio out properly?

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #697 of 1271 Old 04-05-2012, 10:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

I tried to turn off LPCM as an audio choice and there are only a handful of the many LPCM which can be turned off and 5.1 channel 48KHz ain't one of them.

I'm able to disable it. Only stereo 44.1 and stereo 48 are permanently selected, at least for me (fat 60GB into AVR by HDMI).
post #698 of 1271 Old 05-24-2012, 03:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

press release

May 23, 2012, 9:00 a.m. EDT
Amazon Adds More Classic Content for Customers to Enjoy in the "Never Before on DVD" Store
Features thousands of classic movies and TV shows from Disney, MGM, Sony, Twentieth Century Fox, Warner and more

SEATTLE, May 23, 2012 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- --Many titles also available digitally through Amazon Instant Video and Prime Instant Video

Amazon.com today announced the launch of the Never Before on DVD store ( www.amazon.com/neverondvd ), accessible from Amazon's "Movies and TV" homepage, where fans can easily browse and locate more than 2,000 titles available on DVD for the first time via Amazon's CreateSpace DVD on Demand service. The store will expand Amazon's current selection of titles with additional classics from the vaults of Disney, Sony Pictures Home Entertainment, Warner Bros. Home Entertainment and Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment--who in addition to offering more MGM content will also introduce titles from its library.

The Never Before on DVD store also features more current content from other studios and networks including CBS Networks, Lionsgate Home Entertainment, MTV Networks, Nickelodeon and Universal Studios Home Entertainment. Many titles are also available on Amazon Instant Video and Prime Instant Video, including MTV's Mob Wives: Season 1, MTV's Teen Mom: Season 1, Nickelodeon's Rugrats: Season 1 and Universal Studios thriller The Island starring Michael Caine.

"The Never Before on DVD store is a great place for fans to discover thousands of films and television series they've been waiting for on DVD," said Brad Beale, director of digital video content acquisition for Amazon. "In addition to being available on DVD, many titles are available digitally to enjoy right away through Amazon Instant Video and Prime Instant Video. We will continue working to bring our customers even more great video content on DVD as well as digitally."

Disney is now offering more classic family titles with the continually growing Disney Generations Collection. Such titles include Child of Glass (1978), a haunting mystery complete with witchcraft, ghosts and an antebellum mansion starring Barbara Barrie; The Leftovers (1986), the story of the Middleburg Orphanage's struggle to stay together as a family, starring John Denver and Cindy Williams; The Waltz King (1963), a dramatic biography of Johann Strauss, Jr.'s rise to fame; and the never before released television pilot Beyond Witch Mountain (1982), a continuation of the Witch Mountain stories starring Eddie Albert, Tracey Gold, Efrem Zimablist, Jr. and Kirk Cameron in one of his first roles. Fans can keep watching as more "Never Before on DVD" titles are released with the Disney Generations Collection.

MGM's Limited Edition Collection, distributed by Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment, will feature titles such as Cool Blue, starring Woody Harrelson and Hank Azaria; The Wonderful Country, showcasing veteran film star Robert Mitchum and directed by Academy Award-winner Robert Parrish; Summer Heat, a dramatic film that takes place on a tobacco farm in the 1930s with Kathy Bates, Anthony Edwards and Lori Singer; The Big Night, a classic 1950s drama starring John Barrymore, Jr.; and Wanda Nevada, an adventurous western that brings heralded actor Peter Fonda together onscreen with Brooke Shields.

Sony Pictures Choice Collection extends its new-to-DVD offerings with the fifth season of Rules of Engagement, a CBS comedy series starring David Spade, Patrick Warburton and Megyn Price; Bless the Beasts and the Children, the 1971 Stanley Kramer movie about a group of social misfits who band together and run away from summer camp; Grace Kelly (1983), a TV movie starring Cheryl Ladd, Lloyd Bridges and Diane Ladd; Who's Minding the Mint? (1967), a comedy with Milton Berle, Joey Bishop, Bob Denver and Jamie Farr heading the cast; Combat Hospital: Season One, (2011), an ABC series that portrays doctors and nurses saving lives in a warzone military hospital; The Three Stooges (2000), an ABC Movie with Michael Chiklis; Reunion at Fairborough, starring Robert Mitchum as a World War II vet who rekindles a romance with an old flame (Deborah Kerr); and Interlude, a 1968 movie with Oskar Werner, Barbara Ferris and Donald Sutherland.

Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment will offer a wide variety of new content from its archives featuring some of the biggest stars of the twentieth century including Tyrone Power in the spy mystery Diplomatic Courier; Anne Bancroft in The Raid, an American Civil War film based on true events; the screwball comedy Rings On Her Fingers starring Henry Fonda and Gene Tierney; and Sweet Rosie O'Grady, a 1943 musical starring Betty Grable.

Among the highlights of the upcoming releases from Warner Archive Collection are the complete first season of the classic Tarzan television series starring Ron Ely, which originally premiered on NBC in 1966; The Sky's the Limit, the last Fred Astaire film from the Warner Library to come to DVD; the classic Rage In Heaven, starring Ingrid Bergman and Robert Montgomery; and Panama Hattie, featuring Ann Sothern and Red Skelton. Also making their DVD debut are a collection of action films starring football legend Jim Brown, including The Split and Tick..Tick..Tick as well as Hanna-Barbera television animation with the release of Season One, Part Two of The Real Adventures of Jonny Quest.

All of the titles in the Never Before on DVD store are available through Amazon's CreateSpace DVD on Demand service, the perfect way for networks and studios to quickly and efficiently bring their current content and catalog titles to DVD. Releases are always available to fans and never go out-of-stock because they are manufactured only in response to customer demand. In addition, many of the titles will also be available digitally through Amazon Instant Video, a digital video service providing more than 120,000 titles, including new release movies, TV episodes the day after they air, as well as contemporary and classic videos in SD and HD; and Prime Instant Video, a benefit for paid Amazon Prime members who get unlimited, commercial-free, instant access to more than 17,000 movies and TV episodes.

For more information about Amazon's CreateSpace on Demand service, visit www.createspace.com . For more information on Amazon Instant Video or Prime Instant Video, visit www.amazon.com/aiv or www.amazon.com/piv .

About CreateSpace

CreateSpace seeks to be the world's easiest and most comprehensive independent publishing platform for writers, filmmakers and musicians. The company is the leading provider of independent publishing tools that enable content creators to produce, polish, publish and distribute their work to customers around the world. CreateSpace offers industry-leading royalty rates, broad distribution to thousands of sales channels, an engaged peer community and complete creative control while content creators continue to own the rights to their books. CreateSpace is also a leader in manufacture on-demand for Books, CDs and DVDs maintaining "in-stock" availability for titles without inventory risk. CreateSpace is a brand of On-Demand Publishing LLC, a subsidiary of Amazon.com, Inc. AMZN +0.91% .

About Amazon.com

Amazon.com, Inc. AMZN +0.91% , a Fortune 500 company based in Seattle, opened on the World Wide Web in July 1995 and today offers Earth's Biggest Selection. Amazon.com, Inc. seeks to be Earth's most customer-centric company, where customers can find and discover anything they might want to buy online, and endeavors to offer its customers the lowest possible prices. Amazon.com and other sellers offer millions of unique new, refurbished and used items in categories such as Books; Movies, Music & Games; Digital Downloads; Electronics & Computers; Home & Garden; Toys, Kids & Baby; Grocery; Apparel, Shoes & Jewelry; Health & Beauty; Sports & Outdoors; and Tools, Auto & Industrial. Amazon Web Services provides Amazon's developer customers with access to in-the-cloud infrastructure services based on Amazon's own back-end technology platform, which developers can use to enable virtually any type of business. The new latest generation Kindle is the lightest, most compact Kindle ever and features the same 6-inch, most advanced electronic ink display that reads like real paper even in bright sunlight. Kindle Touch is a new addition to the Kindle family with an easy-to-use touch screen that makes it easier than ever to turn pages, search, shop, and take notes -- still with all the benefits of the most advanced electronic ink display. Kindle Touch 3G is the top of the line e-reader and offers the same new design and features of Kindle Touch, with the unparalleled added convenience of free 3G. Kindle Fire is the Kindle for movies, TV shows, music, books, magazines, apps, games and web browsing with all the content, free storage in the Amazon Cloud, Whispersync, Amazon Silk (Amazon's new revolutionary cloud-accelerated web browser), vibrant color touch screen, and powerful dual-core processor.

Amazon and its affiliates operate websites, including www.amazon.com , www.amazon.co.uk , www.amazon.de , www.amazon.co.jp , www.amazon.fr , www.amazon.ca , www.amazon.cn , www.amazon.it , and www.amazon.es . As used herein, "Amazon.com," "we," "our" and similar terms include Amazon.com, Inc., and its subsidiaries, unless the context indicates otherwise.

SOURCE: CreateSpace

MEDIA CONTACTS:
For CreateSpace
Grand Communications
Alison Grand, 212-584-1133
alison@grandcommunications.com
or
Grand Communications
Gabrielle Torello, 201-678-2824
gabtpr@yahoo.com
or
For Amazon.com
Amazon Media Hotline
206-266-7180

www.amazon.com/pr
Copyright Business Wire 2012
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/ama...ore-2012-05-23
post #699 of 1271 Old 05-24-2012, 03:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Amazon expands video offerings with 'Never Before on DVD' and Paramount movies in Prime Instant Video

By Dieter Bohn on May 23, 2012 09:32 pm

edit

Amazon has also announced it has struck a deal with Paramount Pictures to offer "hundreds" of its movies via the Prime Instant Video service, including titles like Mission Impossible 3, Breakfast at Tiffany’s, and Top Gun to customers who have ponied up for the $79-a-year service. The agreement is good for the next three years, though the window for when new movies will become available on the service looks like it will be fairly long, if the titles Amazon has name checked are any indication. The addition of Paramount's library wasn't enough for Amazon to update the total number of videos it claims to offer, the company is still sticking with the 17,000 titles estimate we heard just over a month ago.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/5/23/30...-dvd-paramount
post #700 of 1271 Old 05-24-2012, 04:10 AM
AVS Club Gold

Has there been any info on when Amazon plans to start offering their streaming service separate from a Prime membership?

LED DLP

post #701 of 1271 Old 05-24-2012, 04:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

Has there been any info on when Amazon plans to start offering their streaming service separate from a Prime membership?

Everything I've heard and read says they aren't going to do it anytime soon. As recently as February Brad Beale, head of Digital Video Content Acquisition at Amazon stated publicly that it wouldn't happen now nor in the near future and maybe not ever. The company has been pretty consistent in it's position that it's not even being considered.

The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out.
post #702 of 1271 Old 05-24-2012, 05:05 AM
AVS Special Member

What they need is an iPad app.
post #703 of 1271 Old 05-24-2012, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:

This is what I ran into which is borked. The PS3 is sending all the audio in a 7.1 wrapper. So whether it stereo or 5.1 it's being sent as 7.1 which means no post processing can be applied which sounds like crap. It's like watching TV back in the 80s again with a stereo source since you only have audio from the FL/FR.

I'm sure I can force it to output the correct audio by messing around with the audio settings, but then I would need to do that constantly. The Netflix app outputs the audio properly. stereo is output as stereo and 5.1 is output as 5.1. Then I can apply Dolby Prologic IIx Cinema to it to create a 7.1. sound field.

This was the reason I never considered using VUDU on the PS3 when it had the same issue. And I can't consider using Amazon because of this either. Sony seems to have a policy of borking the audio from these Apps. Or do they just have no idea how to send the audio out properly?

Does your PS3 have an SPDIF or analog stereo output? You could plug one of those into an unused input on your AVR and use that input to do your post-processing.

SPDIF
My Amazon device is a Roku XD|S connected by an SPDIF cable (that was the last 1080p Roku model with an SPDIF output - My AVR is pre-HDMI). That gets me 5.1 Dolby Digital from Amazon when it's available and post-processor compatible stereo otherwise.

Analog stereo
If SPDIF doesn't do the trick (or isn't available) but your PS3 has an analog stereo output, try using that.

An analog stereo input on the AVR is what I use for DVDs and Blu-rays that are encoded in stereo rather than surround (normally I use the multichannel analog input). That lets me use the AVR to post-process that so all speakers are live.

Between those two possibilities, you might be able to work around this.

post #704 of 1271 Old 05-24-2012, 08:46 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philnick View Post

Does your PS3 have an SPDIF or analog stereo output? You could plug one of those into an unused input on your AVR and use that input to do your post-processing.

SPDIF
My Amazon device is a Roku XD|S connected by an SPDIF cable (that was the last 1080p Roku model with an SPDIF output - My AVR is pre-HDMI). That gets me 5.1 Dolby Digital from Amazon when it's available and post-processor compatible stereo otherwise.

Analog stereo
If SPDIF doesn't do the trick (or isn't available) but your PS3 has an analog stereo output, try using that.

An analog stereo input on the AVR is what I use for DVDs and Blu-rays that are encoded in stereo rather than surround (normally I use the multichannel analog input). That lets me use the AVR to post-process that so all speakers are live.

Between those two possibilities, you might be able to work around this.

I have other options, like the Roku2. But the interface isn't as good. I don't use any SPDIF or analog connections anymore. I use HDMi for audio and video. (Well except for the connections from a TiVo to a DVD burner(GFs Lifetime movies) and a Hava HD for remote viewing).

LED DLP

post #705 of 1271 Old 05-24-2012, 09:41 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
Quote:

I'm sure from their standpoint, they are offering streaming services--you just need to have a Prime Membership--which is a bit cheaper than a Netflix streaming membership. Anyone can stream any of the Amazon content without a Prime membership, they just have to pay a la carte. Amazon really wants to expand their Prime membership base and this is a perfect way for them to do that so I doubt they are interested in offering other streaming plans.

Bob

post #706 of 1271 Old 05-24-2012, 04:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritfox View Post

...you just need to have a Prime Membership--which is a bit cheaper than a Netflix streaming membership.

...for a commensurately smaller amount of available content.

In any case, Amazon Prime Instant Video wasn't designed to be a separate service--it's just an inducement to join Prime, which will give you Prime shipping, which will hopefully cause you to make most of your online merchandise purchases from Amazon.

post #707 of 1271 Old 05-25-2012, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Has anyone seen dates or a time frame for the roll out of the new Discovery content to Prime? I just read about it but of course nothing I watch is even on Prime, from that deal yet. Hell, Jersey Shore is still only available in Season 1. Oh geez. After looking back at the Viacom deal, most if that content hasn't been added yet.
post #708 of 1271 Old 05-25-2012, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:

I have other options, like the Roku2. But the interface isn't as good. I don't use any SPDIF or analog connections anymore. I use HDMi for audio and video. (Well except for the connections from a TiVo to a DVD burner(GFs Lifetime movies) and a Hava HD for remote viewing).

I get that you prefer HDMI, but if you can't get Amazon audio you like from the PS3 over HDMI, why not make an exception for Amazon? It's not like you'd have to run a million cables.

If the PS3 has an SPDIF output, that might be better behaved than the HDMI output and give you 5.1 and stereo as appropriate. Remember that Amazon's audio is lossy 5.1 Dolby Digital at best.

Failing that, using an analog stereo output from the PS3 (if such exists) for stereo programs is no big deal.

At most, you might have to set up two inputs that each take the PS3 video from HDMI, with one using the HDMI audio (for most disks and properly behaved streams) and the other using an analog audio hookup for stereo sources - including the occasional stereo disk.

Wait until you run across a disk that uses only the front center channel - like the blu-ray of the classic Errol Flynn Adventures of Robin Hood - there's no way to get sound out of any other speaker without fooling around with analog Y adapters!

post #709 of 1271 Old 05-25-2012, 09:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post

What they need is an iPad app.

What they need is an iPad that plays popular formats, like Flash...
post #710 of 1271 Old 05-26-2012, 12:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I don't see an iPad app in Amazon Instant Video's future. The only mobile app they list is one for the Kindle Fire. If they have that they could certainly offer a non-device-specific Android app and they don't. If the Fire can run it dozens of equal or higher spec Android tablets and phones could.

post #711 of 1271 Old 05-26-2012, 04:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post

What they need is an iPad that plays popular formats, like Flash...

Here's a News-Flash. Flash got dumped - even by its creator.
post #712 of 1271 Old 05-26-2012, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post

Here's a News-Flash. Flash got dumped - even by its creator.

Apparently not by the end users though...

EDIT: Sources:
http://www.periscopic.com/#/news/201...-your-project/
http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/web...he-debate/1556
post #713 of 1271 Old 05-26-2012, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't see an iPad app in Amazon Instant Video's future. The only mobile app they list is one for the Kindle Fire. If they have that they could certainly offer a non-device-specific Android app and they don't. If the Fire can run it dozens of equal or higher spec Android tablets and phones could.

It seems the Kindle app does work on other Androids: http://liliputing.com/2011/11/amazon...d-devices.html
post #714 of 1271 Old 05-26-2012, 02:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

It seems the Kindle app does work on other Androids: http://liliputing.com/2011/11/amazon...d-devices.html

I figured it would--it's just a matter of obtaining and side-loading it, which not all Android tablet users are up for (particularly that procedure for getting it to run on a Nook Tablet).

post #715 of 1271 Old 05-27-2012, 10:02 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
Quote:

Apparently not by the end users though...

That is certainly true for today but since Adobe has decided to move on from Flash, over time that balance will shift from Flash to HTML5--just takes time.

But since this is a Amazon Prime thread, I do have to say I am really happy with some of the additions Amazon has made to Prime. I got rid of Netflix streaming awhile back and I have to say I have found a lot to watch at Amazon--and much of their content is HD--with quite a few in 5.1.

Bob

post #716 of 1271 Old 05-29-2012, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

edit

We've just added a new Watchlist feature, which helps you keep track of the movies and TV episodes you want to view later. You can add favorites and new discoveries to your listthen come back anytime to watch instantly. Try it on your Xbox 360, Kindle Fire, or your browser on PC & Mac ... and Watchlist is coming soon to PlayStation 3 and Roku.

edit

Thanks for being a customer.

Jeff Bezos
Founder & CEO
post #717 of 1271 Old 05-29-2012, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Dear Customers,

You can already stream Prime Instant Videos on your Kindle Fire, your PlayStation 3, your Roku, and hundreds of other TVs, Blu-ray players, and set-top boxes. Today, we're excited to announce that the Xbox 360 joins the fold.

edit
post #718 of 1271 Old 05-29-2012, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

iPad, the market leader, still MIA.
post #719 of 1271 Old 05-29-2012, 11:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Sweet! Amazon adds queues and a 360 app--very nice!

I'd be a bit shocked if Amazon were to introduce an iOS app. Thus far the only portable app that they've created for Amazon Instant Video was for Android, pre-installed on Kindle Fire and otherwise not officially available (it can be obtained and sideloaded on other Android devices). If there was Flash video support in the iOS version of Safari, there'd already be a kind of support for it.

The Xbox app seems pretty standard. Nice, but I wasn't immediately blown away by it as I was by the PS3 one. It has all of the expected Kinect vocal and gestural controls both for browsing the library and during playback. I did find one bug--if you fast-forward or rewind, it freezes the video. It gradually changes the timecode at the expected pace but doesn't let you see what's there. Otherwise it's cool. (Of course, that is is a pretty damn serious bug ).

It also supports the "Watchlist" out of the box--the site says that it's "coming soon" to PS3 and Roku. They should have taken the opportunity to support multiple named user queues and maybe tie them to some sort of parental control feature.

post #720 of 1271 Old 05-30-2012, 07:30 AM
AVS Club Gold

When I tried the Amazon app on the 360 last night it was sending stereo in a 5.1 wrapper like the PS3.

LED DLP

Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page