AVS Forum banner

Amazon Prime Instant Video

279K views 3K replies 270 participants last post by  Jim McC 
#1 ·

November 7, 2012

Top Movies free on Amazon Prime

Created 3 months ago on IMDB by brenta100   Feature films (1950-current) rated 7.0 or higher available free on Amazon Prime Instant Video (updated).

See also:
Top Documentaries free on Amazon Prime

May 29, 2012

Would you like to select Prime instant videos to watch later? Use Watchlist from any Kindle Fire, Xbox, Roku, PC or Mac.

July 17, 2011
Prime Instant Videos provide unlimited, commercial-free, instant streaming of thousands of movies and TV shows at no additional cost with a paid annual Amazon Prime membership, which also includes fast shipping along with other benefits. Prime instant videos can be watched instantly on a Mac, PC and nearly 200 models of Internet-connected TVs, Blu-ray players and set-top-boxes that are compatible with Amazon Instant Video . All of the movies and TV shows are commercial-free and some are available in HD. You can try an Amazon Prime membership by starting a free trial (restrictions apply).

Frequently Asked Questions about Prime Instant Videos

How Amazon Prime Video Stacks Up To Netflix & Hulu Plus By Staci D. Kramer @sdkstl Feb 23, 2011 8:40 AM ET

What are some of the programming differences between Amazon Prime Videos, Netflix and Hulu Plus? Amazon has some previously unavailable Doctor Who, for one thing. Internet video guide Clicker takes a look at the services and offers a detailed chart (below) comparing Amazon's streaming video perk for Prime subscribers with Netflix, Hulu Plus and on-demand services iTunes, Amazon Instant Video and Hulu. Also worth a read, Rex Hammock's consumer take on Amazon's free Trojan Horse.
Attachment 218853

Update: A couple of good points have been raised about the chart: Amazon lists Android under mobile but hasn't announced anything, and, as Dan Rayburn notes in the comments, Amazon's HD is 480 720, while Netflix is 1080.

Update 2: The chart has been updated to reflect those issues. Clicker's Guillermo Pont explains it in the comments.

Correction: Hulu says Hulu Plus actually has more than 16,000 episodes of TV shows, and 775 movies. (It will be adding about 650 more movies from the Criterion Collection in coming months.) And now the chart has been updated to reflect that. [2/25/2011]
http://paidcontent.org/article/419-c...lix-hulu-plus/

January 30, 2011 8:36 AM PST

Rumors have been heating up over the last few weeks that Amazon was on the verge of offering "free," unlimited video streaming to its Prime members, who pay $79.99 a year for free two-day shipping on many items sold on Amazon. Now a tipster has sent a few screenshots to Engadget allegedly showing an unlimited video streaming section to complement Amazon's VOD (video-on-demand) offerings.

One small bit of info a lot of people don't know about is that Amazon allows Amazon Prime subscribers to share their subscriptions with up to three "family members." (See full article here ). Whether Amazon would extend the "free" streaming service to those you share your membership with is unknown, but it would certainly be a nice perk. Read more: http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-...#ixzz1CXR34tI9

TIP: If you want to quickly find where a TV show or movie is streaming - TVandMoviesNow.com will say where it is available to watch

See less See more
#52 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn /forum/post/19979590

Have you ever priced a new release from VUDU, Zune or others and compared that to rental .. ?? It's definitely inflated ..

BB - $4.99 DVD or blu-ray

Safeway - $3.99 DVD

CinemaNow - $3.99

People are starting to believe they are entitled to entertainment for cheap and think they should keep prices at these low levels.

$5-6 for two hours of entertainment for +2 people is cheap and not inflated.

Remember, no one is forced to pay for inflated entertainment in which they enjoy to watch.

If you believe the price is to much, don't rent it.

#53 ·

Quote:

Have you ever priced a new release from VUDU, Zune or others and compared that to rental .. ?? It's definitely inflated ..

Depends upon how much you value the convenience and/or how much you care about seeing a movie in the first 4 weeks after release to DVD.

#54 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42Plasmaman /forum/post/19980217

Safeway - $3.99 DVD

CinemaNow - $3.99

People are starting to believe they are entitled to entertainment for cheap and think they should keep prices at these low levels.

Remember, no one is forced to pay for inflated entertainment in which they enjoy to watch.

But others forget that the cost of production and distribution of discs is far far more expensive than the bandwidth it takes to stream a movie. It shouldn't be anywhere near the same price as a disc rental to stream a movie. If you take into account that you can bring that disc with you whereever you like and play on anyone's TV, it further discounts the cost/benefit of streaming.

#55 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_scott /forum/post/19980329

But others forget that the cost of production and distribution of discs is far far more expensive than the bandwidth it takes to stream a movie.

True although the potential market is much larger which makes the related costs far from linear.

#56 ·

Quote:

These arguments are vacuous and annoying. You could say the same thing for a 1k/day plan. Of course there is a point to discussing price/value.

#57 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubiczee /forum/post/19980547

Of course there is a point to discussing price/value.

I don't think anyone would say it's not relevant. Some simply feel the cost isn't inflated because it's beyond what they can or would spend.

#58 ·

Quote:

Safeway - $3.99 DVD

CinemaNow - $3.99

My comments were based on HD content .. CinemaNow may appear to be a good value, (compared to VUDU / Zune / Etc) however, I've never been able to figure out what you actually get PQ wise .. website says "Premium movies are of superior playback quality." .. what does that mean .. ??

I have no burning desire to rent on new release day .. after all, there is plenty of content to keep my viewing needs happy if I do wait till the 28 day window expires .. thus, RedBox at a $1.50 BD or wait for Netflix .. no big deal to me ..

Frugality is just that .. I can afford to rent at higher price levels, however, one of the reasons I can afford to, is frugality .. so I choose not to pay what I consider to be inflated prices .. if I have to wait, so be it ..

There is certainly no entitlement mentality on my part .. just good economic sense .. if you knew you could buy something 28 days from now at less than half the price of what it is today, why would you not wait .. ??

#59 ·

Quote:

Have you priced a gallon of gas lately? My Safeway store is about 5 miles away, so at $3.00 a gallon a 10 mile roundtrip is about two bucks! (Not even including my time)

#60 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy
Have you priced a gallon of gas lately? My Safeway store is about 5 miles away, so at $3.00 a gallon a 10 mile roundtrip is about two bucks! (Not even including my time)
your car gets 15 MPG? Time to buy a new car.

Really comparing the price of gas with the cost of streaming v. disc rental is the reverse of being in your favor. Streaming = no gas for those delivery trucks to get the discs to stores.

#61 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy
Olyteddy, I completely agree with you. I have two kids, so we have a minivan that gets 17 MPG. Further, per the IRS, it costs $0.50 per mile to operate a car. Plus, with two kids (3 & 6 years old), I don't have the time to run to the store every time I want to see a movie.

I very much appreciate downloading movies, and think Vudu's 1080P product is a good deal, especially given my recent purchase of a projector. Vudu also offers a $0.99 movie every day - I've been able to watch stuff like The Expendables, Ray, Apocalypse Now, and, The Kids are All Right in 1080P/5.1 sound for $0.99. Now that's a bargain...

#62 ·
^ Agreed. I don't think the 4.99 or 5.99 is overpriced when you consider the convenience as well as the cost of driving to rent a disc or going to the theater (and don't get me started on babysitter and food expenses).

I think it just boils down to Netflix is so freaking cheap, that the VOD options are expensive by comparison. For example, my average Netflix rental (disc+streaming) is 64 cents, according to Feedfliks.

I rent Vudu or Zune titles occasionally, but it's just hard to justify spending that much when I have 50+ titles in my Netflix instant queue sitting there. Yes the the PQ/AQ blows Netflix away and there's newer titles, it's hard for me to justify the additional 4 or 5 bucks over the budget option.

But I really don't think the price is unfair for what it is. Would be nice if it was a buck cheaper though. I think just Redbox and Netflix has set the bar so low for cost that everything seems expensive by comparison.

#63 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by mproper
^ Agreed. I don't think the 4.99 or 5.99 is overpriced when you consider the convenience as well as the cost of driving to rent a disc or going to the theater (and don't get me started on babysitter and food expenses).

I think it just boils down to Netflix is so freaking cheap, that the VOD options are expensive by comparison. For example, my average Netflix rental (disc+streaming) is 64 cents, according to Feedfliks.

I rent Vudu or Zune titles occasionally, but it's just hard to justify spending that much when I have 50+ titles in my Netflix instant queue sitting there. Yes the the PQ/AQ blows Netflix away and there's newer titles, it's hard for me to justify the additional 4 or 5 bucks over the budget option.

But I really don't think the price is unfair for what it is. Would be nice if it was a buck cheaper though.
it's all subjective.

Personally I don't make 200K+ a year, so that pricing for a rental seems outrageous to me. Especially when most of these movies are available in uncompressed BD with extras for purchase at $15-20. 1/3 of the cost just to stream it once at a slightly lower quality seems like a ripoff.

But I also rarely go to movies in the theatre, so maybe I'm a little more cost-conscious than some.

#64 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by b_scott
it's all subjective.
Exactly. I think a lot of us remember having to drive to the local BB and still paying $3 or $4 per movie, then having to return it the next day. By the time you factor in 2 trips for gas, and the cost of the movie, and of course the lost time in the car (and of course the idiot behind the counter), a movie really ended up costing 4-5 bucks or more and maybe 30-60 minutes in the car.

10 years later and I can sit on my couch and start watching the movie in a few seconds for pretty much the same price seems reasonable.

But of course that's subjective because Netflix and Redbox have changed what a "reasonable" cost means to people because they are so comparatively cheap. As I said, I primarily use Netflix because I personally don't feel the additional quality of Vudu or Zune is worth paying 4-5 bucks more than the Netflix title is going to cost me, and I'm fine with waiting to see the new release on disc (much the same reason I don't feel the additional quality or special features or seeing it 28 days earlier is worth buying a BD for $15-$20 over what the rental version is going to cost me)

#65 ·
Netflix built a huge infrastructure of distribution centers, maintains a huge inventory of product, ships physical discs all over the country, and yet can profitably rent BD releases to me for about $1.50 per title if I watch them promptly and get the full 8 per month my mail service will support.

Redbox built a huge infrastructure of physical machines, set up a billing network, bought the discs, transports them around, maintains inventory, etc, etc, for $1.50 for new-release BD's and is also profitable.

So why can't streaming services price a single HD stream of the same titles for less than $4-5?

#66 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taperwood /forum/post/19984709

Netflix built a huge infrastructure of distribution centers, maintains a huge inventory of product, ships physical discs all over the country, and yet can profitably rent BD releases to me for about $1.50 per title if I watch them promptly and get the full 8 per month my mail service will support.

Redbox built a huge infrastructure of physical machines, set up a billing network, bought the discs, transports them around, maintains inventory, etc, etc, for $1.50 for new-release BD's and is also profitable.

So why can't streaming services price a single HD stream of the same titles for less than $4-5?

I think it's because they're banking on lazy or impatient (and I'm not pointing at anyone in this thread) peoples' cost/benefit for waiting for a disc vs. just hitting "purchase" on their remote. Also, trying to strike while the iron is hot and before people starting actually thinking the cost through. In a few years, it'll either be all $5 a movie or $1 a movie - there won't be much room for in between IMO. Not with the public more aware of and with easy access to cheaper options for streaming.

#68 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cygnus2112 /forum/post/19984835

Easy answer: because studios won't allow them to... Big hollyweird is doing whatever they can to get as much profits as possible.

The major studios are run by complete idiots.

Technical issues aside, if they could get every household in the country to sign up at $10 a month for streaming access to every movie ever made, their yearly revenues would actually go up by $1.5 billion a year, plus no more distribution costs, printing, storage, shipping, piracy, etc. Their only costs would be to make the actual movies. The TV networks could do the same for probably $5 a month. Like I said, complete idiots!

#69 ·

Quote:

thank you .. I could not have said it better myself ..

#70 ·

Quote:

I think there are many factors including...
  • Relative value - price is often based on perceived value not the actual cost. New releases have much more value (greater demand).
  • Different market costs - the market for streaming is much smaller than the other forms as such you need to charge more to make the effort worthwhile.

As with most pricing they find the sweet spot. If they raise it they lose money and if they lower it they lose money. Such that if they charge more the amount of lost sales more than offset the increase. If they lower the cost the increased sales doesn't offset the price drop.

Overall I tend to think they work in reverse (to a large degree). How much money do I need to make this worthwhile (return on investment). Divide the amount by the expected number of customers (throw in the above) and price it accordingly.

Quote:
Technical issues aside, if they could get every household in the country to sign up at $10 a month for streaming access to every movie ever made, their yearly revenues would actually go up by $1.5 billion a year, plus no more distribution costs, printing, storage, shipping, piracy, etc.

Unfortunately they live in the real world.

Curiously... has anyone seen reported what's the average number of days for a Redbox rental? Surely it can't be 1.0.

#71 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R /forum/post/19985182

As with most pricing they find the sweet spot. If they raise it they lose money and if they lower it they lose money. Such that if they charge more the amount of lost sales more than offset the increase. If they lower the cost the increased sales doesn't offset the price drop.

Overall I tend to think they work in reverse (to a large degree). How much money do I need to make this worthwhile (return on investment). Divide the amount by the expected number of customers (throw in the above) and price it accordingly.

How is that factoring in the value of their catalogs? Netflix is proving there is much value in them if spread among many people.

Quote:
Unfortunately they live in the real world.

If 99% of households can have a TV, car, etc., they can certainly have a universal streaming service. I'm not saying it would be easy or cheap to set up, but we already pay for bandwidth as it is. This cost would reflect only the actual content. The point I was making is that the studios and networks as a whole can practically give their content away and still make as much money as they are making now. All they have to do is get everyone on board.

Are you saying you would not pay $15 a month for every movie and TV show ever made? I sure would. I wouldn't even mind if they held new content back by six months so they could sell into other channels, such as theaters, physical discs, PPV etc., if the demand was there.

Pie in the sky? I don't see why it should be. It's an elegant solution to what we have now and the content owners actually gain in the deal. They have practically a guaranteed revenue stream going forward at no cost to them.

#74 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taperwood /forum/post/19985867

How is that factoring in the value of their catalogs? Netflix is proving there is much value in them if spread among many people.

I'm not sure what you are asking. Not far from me is a company which represents only dead celebrities.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/...n6598800.shtml
http://www.cmgworldwide.com/index.html
http://www.cmgworldwide.com/offices/indy.html

Their goal is to obtain the highest value they can for their clients and I see the studios much the same with their catalogs.
Although I'm sure their revenues are taken into account much earlier on.

Quote:
The point I was making is that the studios and networks as a whole can practically give their content away and still make as much money as they are making now. All they have to do is get everyone on board.

More not living in the real world. For the foreseeable future they couldn't give their content to everyone even if they wanted.

Quote:
Are you saying you would not pay $15 a month for every movie and TV show ever made?

At that price the number of new movies and TV shows would be zero.

#76 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R /forum/post/19986122

I'm not sure what you are asking. Not far from me is a company which represents only dead celebrities.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/...n6598800.shtml
http://www.cmgworldwide.com/index.html
http://www.cmgworldwide.com/offices/indy.html

The point is those are not the content creators or owners. They are the leaches sucking off the host. In their world, they are performing a great service, but in reality they create nothing (for a small fee, of course)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.