post #901 of 1472 Old 04-02-2013, 06:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 409 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefrenches View Post

Anybody else having trouble viewing ANYTHING on Amazon Prime? I've had probably a dozen emails and calls and chats with them about the fact that on my Samsung un55es7100 (which I'm NOT happy with, btw - SmartHub is very frustrating), I can't watch anything - same with Netflix. As soon as I get to 'play', it gives me an error that it can't play. Amazon says that it is working on a fix to this, that their 'engineers' are doing an update, and that eventually it will be done and I will be prompted to install an update on the Amazon app, but this still hasn't happened, and I don't believe them. How can only my system be messed up?

It used to work great - for about 3 weeks - then just stopped, no reason that I can see. I can search the entire library, I did speed tests on the system, I can use the browser, I can order movies on the SmartHub (when it's not down for maintenance like now), but I can't use Netflix or Amazon Prime instant video anymore. Any help??

I'd be looking for issues with your modem or router. A messed up TV application is not out of the question, but given the issues with more than one service the network itself is suspect.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 1472 Old 04-02-2013, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 127
All you have to do is Google 'SmartHub problems' to come up with any number of complaints from irate customers. Television apps like Samsung's SmartHub introduces another middleman and if their server(s) is down or working erratically you've got a problem. Get yourself a Roku 3 and eliminate this frustration.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #903 of 1472 Old 04-18-2013, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 47
I supposedly have 50+Mbps connection with XFinity. Last night while streaming a HD Prime movie on the PS3 I only got 2bars for HD. Everything was a pixelated mess on fast moving scenes.

Checked with several speedtests and I believe my connection is fine. Is XFinity limiting throughput on Amazon streaming?

post #904 of 1472 Old 04-18-2013, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Ethernet or Wi-fi?
post #905 of 1472 Old 04-18-2013, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 47
The PS3 is currently using a wired connection. Its connected to a D-Link 655(?) with a gigabit connection. I believe the original Fat PS3 supported gigabit wired networking.

post #906 of 1472 Old 04-18-2013, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Amazon needs to get their act together. Their end doesn't seem able to support their claimed services. I streamed two rentals from Amazon, and never again will i pay them outside of Prime membership for streaming. I will use VUDU for rentals from now on. Their servers support HD and can deliver HD.
post #907 of 1472 Old 04-18-2013, 01:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1151 Post(s)
Liked: 826
I personally haven't had any problem getting HD from Amazon.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #908 of 1472 Old 04-18-2013, 01:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toknowshita View Post

I supposedly have 50+Mbps connection with XFinity. Last night while streaming a HD Prime movie on the PS3 I only got 2bars for HD. Everything was a pixelated mess on fast moving scenes.

Checked with several speedtests and I believe my connection is fine. Is XFinity limiting throughput on Amazon streaming?

I see this a lot with Amazon, but only in the evenings. Also a Comcrap customer here - see a pattern?
post #909 of 1472 Old 04-18-2013, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

I see this a lot with Amazon, but only in the evenings. Also a Comcrap customer here - see a pattern?

I've heard stories of Comcast seemingly identifying certain traffic and limiting the bandwidth for those streams (NetFlix, torrents, etc.). You really never know what they are doing on their end (from modem all the way back).

Never seen this on TWC RoadRunner.

Living Room Home-Theater:
Epson 8350 1080p Projector (96") / Panasonic TH-46pz850u 46" 1080p Plasma TV
Onkyo TX-sr607 7.2 HDMI Audio/Video Amplifier/Receiver (630 watts)
Panasonic DMP-BD60 Blu-Ray Disc Player / Cisco 8742hdc DVR (TimeWarner)
Harmony 670 - Universal Remote / HTPC (XMBC/Win7-64) Media Server PC
Polk Audio Monitor Series II Speakers (Large 6.1 Matched Separates) / PSW505 12-Inch Sub
post #910 of 1472 Old 04-18-2013, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesla1856 View Post

Neither do I. I can d/l, stream all I want with no slowdowns.
post #911 of 1472 Old 04-18-2013, 03:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesla1856 View Post

I've heard stories of Comcast seemingly identifying certain traffic and limiting the bandwidth for those streams (NetFlix, torrents, etc.). You really never know what they are doing on their end (from modem all the way back).

Its never easy to tell if the issue is on the other end or a local node being overloaded. I do see a generalized slowdown in the evenings when doing speed tests to distant servers - not part of the Comcast system. But speed tests to Comcast system servers are always good. Draw your own conclusions.

Its also not impossible that Amazon is allocating bandwidth according to its own needs, and evenings are always peak load times. Also could be a combination of all the above and who knows what else.
But there are times here when streaming from Amazon is impossible in the evening, when streaming from Netflix is fine. FWIW, I have a Motorola SB6141 that's bonding 8 channels down, so local node congestion *shouldn't* be an issue..
post #912 of 1472 Old 04-18-2013, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Keep in mind Amazon is now a major player in the web services infrastructure business. I doubt they shortchange allocating bandwidth on their own services.
post #913 of 1472 Old 04-18-2013, 03:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Yeah--they only hurt their stream rental business if people can't get quality video. If you have problems you should let them know. (They still maintain that Prime Instant Video is not a business in and of itself, just an adjunct service to add incentive to become a Prime member, like the Kindle Owner's Lending Library).

post #914 of 1472 Old 04-20-2013, 01:19 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toknowshita View Post

I had similar problems in the past. It could be Amazon issue and even an issue with specific movie. When I had a problem with some Amazon Prime titles I would try another Amazon Prime title and it was often fine. And if I tried Vudu at the same time it was always fine. So I would say Amazon is definitely suspect.
post #915 of 1472 Old 05-06-2013, 09:25 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
STILL no access to either Amazon Prime Instant Video or Netflix on my Samsung UN55ES7100!!

If I call Samsung, they say it is a problem with Amazon/Netflix, even though it apparently is related to the SmartHub system, although also apparently not on all Samsung tvs? That makes little sense.

Here's the latest reply from Amazon, more of the 'just wait, eventually we'll fix it' mentality:

"Hello,

In addition to our large selection, one of the benefits we try very hard to offer our customers is convenience. I apologize for the disappointment caused to you in this regard.

I've checked our records and see that this issue has been reported to our technical department and they are working on it. I'm sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

However, I also see that this issue regarding accessing the Prime instant video access on Samsung TV is currently being looked into by my colleague.

I have notified that you have inquired about this issue and she will get back to you, once she receives an update from technical department.

I request you to wait a little longer for a satisfactory resolution. Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience; we want to be sure to address this matter as thoroughly as possible.

Thanks for your patience and understanding in this matter. We look forward to see you again soon. "
post #916 of 1472 Old 05-06-2013, 10:01 AM

Liked: 10
I have Amazon Prime, my question is I have a Samsung PN51E550 TV Plasma. Tv programs are brite and clear from my cable box but when I start a movie from Amazon Prime the movie gets dim and dall. The second I hit start it dims and this is for every movie both SD and HD. Is it Prime or my TV set up? I like my tv set to Dynamic all the time. DVD played on my OPPO-93 are ok. What am I missing? Thanks Glen
post #917 of 1472 Old 05-06-2013, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:

STILL no access to either Amazon Prime Instant Video or Netflix on my Samsung UN55ES7100!!

If I call Samsung, they say it is a problem with Amazon/Netflix, even though it apparently is related to the SmartHub system, although also apparently not on all Samsung tvs? That makes little sense.

Here's the latest reply from Amazon, more of the 'just wait, eventually we'll fix it' mentality:

"Hello,

In addition to our large selection, one of the benefits we try very hard to offer our customers is convenience. I apologize for the disappointment caused to you in this regard.

I've checked our records and see that this issue has been reported to our technical department and they are working on it. I'm sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

However, I also see that this issue regarding accessing the Prime instant video access on Samsung TV is currently being looked into by my colleague.

I have notified that you have inquired about this issue and she will get back to you, once she receives an update from technical department.

I request you to wait a little longer for a satisfactory resolution. Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience; we want to be sure to address this matter as thoroughly as possible.

Thanks for your patience and understanding in this matter. We look forward to see you again soon. "

Evidently more Samsungs that just yours. Why not just get yourself a Roku 3 and do away with this aggravation? It seems like a hardware/firmware problem that likely won't get fixed any time soon. SmartHub is certainly not worth it.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #918 of 1472 Old 05-06-2013, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by st johng View Post

I have Amazon Prime, my question is I have a Samsung PN51E550 TV Plasma. Tv programs are brite and clear from my cable box but when I start a movie from Amazon Prime the movie gets dim and dall. The second I hit start it dims and this is for every movie both SD and HD. Is it Prime or my TV set up? I like my tv set to Dynamic all the time. DVD played on my OPPO-93 are ok. What am I missing? Thanks Glen
It may be the actual Samsung app or your TV. I watch Amazon Prime Instant videos on my TV via Roku, PS3, and LG Blu-ray player. I can tell you that playback for me is very good across all these platforms.

The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out.
post #919 of 1472 Old 05-06-2013, 02:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by st johng View Post

Your TV should have specific settings when you're using it's on-board streaming apps or streaming files. Pull up the menu and I'll bet you'll find that it's set differently than your usual HDMI input settings. It may even have different pre-set modes. While streaming, set it to taste and those settings will only apply while you're streaming.
post #920 of 1472 Old 05-06-2013, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Are any of the Internet Apps working? Are you sure the TV is getting a good IP address from your router?

Polk Audio Monitor Series II Speakers (Large 6.1 Matched Separates) / PSW505 12-Inch Sub
post #921 of 1472 Old 06-04-2013, 06:30 PM

Can someone with relatively fast internet ( > 15 MBit/sec) and relatively new computer ( >= 4 cores) try to stream this (free for Prime members):

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00APE1LEU (Justified Season 4 Sneak Peek)?

I have 6 year old laptop (T61) with Core2 Duo T7300 CPU @ 2 GHz, 8GB or RAM, running Windows 7 x64. When I start streaming video I linked to in Firefox Browser rates go up to 6000 kbits/sec (everything is fine and smooth at this point, total CPU load is about 50%), then it goes up to 10000 kbits/sec and at this point video and audio starts stuttering. I wonder if this is because my computer is not fast enough and what is the highest rate Amazon can stream at on PC.

FWIW my internet connection is 50/8 and this is what I get on speed tests pretty much all the time. My Sony BD player streams Amazon HD at about 18 MBits/sec (as shown by the player) without any hiccups. Router shows bandwidth usage as see-saw going from 0 to 18 MBit/sec with fixed interval, BD player probably fills buffer and waits until it is almost empty.
post #922 of 1472 Old 06-04-2013, 07:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSchmoe007 View Post

Can someone with relatively fast internet ( > 15 MBit/sec) and relatively new computer ( >= 4 cores) try to stream this (free for Prime members):

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00APE1LEU (Justified Season 4 Sneak Peek)?

I have 6 year old laptop (T61) with Core2 Duo T7300 CPU @ 2 GHz, 8GB or RAM, running Windows 7 x64. When I start streaming video I linked to in Firefox Browser rates go up to 6000 MBit/sec (everything is fine and smooth at this point, total CPU load is about 50%), then it goes up to 10000 MBit/sec and at this point video and audio starts stuttering. I wonder if this is because my computer is not fast enough and what is the highest rate Amazon can stream at on PC.

My processor is a 2.5 GHz Core 2 Quad (Q8300). I watched the first five minutes of without incident in Chrome; it quickly jumped to an unimpressive "HD". CPU consumption settled down to 20%. My network connection is nominally 25 Mpbs. (I don't think that Sneak Peak is free for Prime; it's just free. I had to purchase it for $0.00).

post #923 of 1472 Old 06-04-2013, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

My processor is a 2.5 GHz Core 2 Quad (Q8300). I watched the first five minutes of without incident in Chrome; it quickly jumped to an unimpressive "HD". CPU consumption settled down to 20%. My network connection is nominally 25 Mpbs. (I don't think that Sneak Peak is free for Prime; it's just free. I had to purchase it for $0.00).

Yes, you are correct that one had to purchase it for $0.00. Can you try again in full-screen (it seems to try to go to 10 MBit/s in full-screen only but I am not sure) and hover mouse over "HD" letters - what rate does it show after a couple minutes?
post #924 of 1472 Old 06-04-2013, 07:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSchmoe007 View Post

Yes, you are correct that one had to purchase it for $0.00. Can you try again in full-screen (it seems to try to go to 10 MBit/s in full-screen only but I am not sure) and hover mouse over "HD" letters - what rate does it show after a couple minutes?

I was running it full-screen before but I wasn't paying any attention to the bit rate. Leaving the mouse on the HD thing I never saw it exceed 6000 Kbps which didn't faze the player.

post #925 of 1472 Old 06-05-2013, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

It may be an issue of GPU because of the high level of video rendering.
post #926 of 1472 Old 06-29-2013, 08:00 AM

I have an issue that hopefully maybe you folks can help me with.

I have an Optoma HD20 projector going to an Onkyo HT-S5400 receiver. I'm using a PC as my source so am streaming content directly from Amazon's website.

In the past I could watch HD content from Amazon with no problem, it would just stream (in stereo), but it looks like they changed something on the website because when I attempt to stream content now (like Under the Dome), my system flips out. My projector acts like its trying to find the correct resolution or something and keeps flipping from the HDMI 1 to HDMI 2 input even though I only have one HDMI cable running to it.The receiver also shows that I'm losing and then getting back an HDMI signal. The only way I can break the cycle is to blindly exit or scroll away from the video playing on the PC, and then restart my receiver.

Occasionally I can catch glimpses of the streaming video before the projector flips out and the picture looks great. I also notice that the sound is coming in as 5.1.

I just attempted it again while writing this email, and a new thing just happened. Upon starting the stream, the system started flipping out again, and then the stream cut off, the projector/receiver found the source, and I received the following notice:

"Content protection restrictions apply (6031)
Error 6031 occurred because your device doesn't meet content protection standards. All your displays, output ports, and cables must be HDCP compliant to play your video.
Please disconnect any displays that aren't HDCP compliant, and then reload the player.

If this doesn't fix the problem, see our troubleshooting tips."

Could this be something to do with Silverlight?
post #927 of 1472 Old 06-29-2013, 10:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrift View Post

I have an issue that hopefully maybe you folks can help me with.

I have an Optoma HD20 projector going to an Onkyo HT-S5400 receiver. I'm using a PC as my source so am streaming content directly from Amazon's website.

In the past I could watch HD content from Amazon with no problem, it would just stream (in stereo), but it looks like they changed something on the website because when I attempt to stream content now (like Under the Dome), my system flips out. My projector acts like its trying to find the correct resolution or something and keeps flipping from the HDMI 1 to HDMI 2 input even though I only have one HDMI cable running to it.The receiver also shows that I'm losing and then getting back an HDMI signal. The only way I can break the cycle is to blindly exit or scroll away from the video playing on the PC, and then restart my receiver.

Occasionally I can catch glimpses of the streaming video before the projector flips out and the picture looks great. I also notice that the sound is coming in as 5.1.

I just attempted it again while writing this email, and a new thing just happened. Upon starting the stream, the system started flipping out again, and then the stream cut off, the projector/receiver found the source, and I received the following notice:

Error 6031 occurred because your device doesn't meet content protection standards. All your displays, output ports, and cables must be HDCP compliant to play your video.
Please disconnect any displays that aren't HDCP compliant, and then reload the player.

Check to make sure you have the latest drivers for your graphics card on your PC. Also, if you have your PC set up with the projector as a second screen, try configuring it as your main display in the Windows screen resolution control panel. Some drivers seem to have issues using HDCP with more than one display.
adrift likes this.
post #928 of 1472 Old 06-29-2013, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampidemic View Post

Check to make sure you have the latest drivers for your graphics card on your PC. Also, if you have your PC set up with the projector as a second screen, try configuring it as your main display in the Windows screen resolution control panel. Some drivers seem to have issues using HDCP with more than one display.

Thanks for the advice. I checked if new drivers were available, and there were, but that didn't fix the problem. The projector is the only screen, so no issues there. I'm no longer seeing the HDCP notice any longer, but the HD signal on the receiver is still flipping out.

Something I didn't mention before, I'm running HDMI through a Cat 6 adapter. The adapter has a blue LED that flashes off when attempting to stream video via Amazon, so something's happening where the HDMI signal is just dropping when I attempt to watch Amazon. I'm not having any issues with Netflix or online games or Youtube or Hulu or anything else, just Amazon. I wonder if the adapter is the problem...

I'm also noticing that if I minimize the window and then scroll away from the actual video when a video is streaming, I can get the signal to come in again. 5.1 audio plays perfectly. As soon as I scroll up to see the video playing the signal drops again.
post #929 of 1472 Old 06-29-2013, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, sounds like HDCP and SilverLight (if that's what they are using).

My suggestion is to try some different configs to try to further isolate the problem. For instance, try:

- Normal LCD and analog speakers/headphones on computer (like is was on your desk). See if that works with no projector or amp (simplified HDMI chain).

If that works, change one thing at a time (testing each) until you get back to the original config or find incompatible part.

I could try what you are doing, but I'm not sure what it would prove because my models are different.

adrift likes this.

post #930 of 1472 Old 06-29-2013, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Something I didn't mention before, I'm running HDMI through a Cat 6 adapter. The adapter has a blue LED that flashes off when attempting to stream video via Amazon, so something's happening where the HDMI signal is just dropping when I attempt to watch Amazon. I'm not having any issues with Netflix or online games or Youtube or Hulu or anything else, just Amazon. I wonder if the adapter is the problem...

Possibly. Test with different display device in place of projector, or projector closer to amp (with HDMI cable).

I had the same decision to make at install time. I went with simpler HDMI. The 45ft cable (notice gauge) also worked by itself (onkyo to epson) but I needed to get a little further and also split to plasma.

Final 57ft HDMI chain to Epson 8350:
Onkyo TX-sr607 7.2 HDMI AVR
2ft 24AWG CL2 High Speed HDMI Cable w/ Net
4X2 True Matrix HDMI 1.3a Powered Switch w/ Remote (Rev. 3.0) (MonoPrice # 5312)
45ft 22AWG CL2 Standard Speed w/ Ethernet HDMI Cable
HDMI Active Equalizer Extender Repeater (MonoPrice # 2849)
12ft 24AWG CL2 High Speed HDMI Cable w/ Net
Epson Home Cinema 8350 Projector
18 ft. from wall/screen = (96" or 8ft diag. image)

Epson receives all 1080p (high bandwidth / deep color / HDCP) signals with no problems ever. I'm guessing a real Blu-Ray is the highest bandwidth, but some of my MKV or M2TS files from HTPC-XBMC are probably pretty close as well. 

adrift likes this.

Reply Video Download Services & Hardware