Amazon Prime Instant Video - Page 42 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 03-29-2014, 05:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 102
^^ All denied by Amazon. Try to keep up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2014, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked: 192
The networks aren't going to give up their cash cow of letting you "own" a TV episode without commercials at an inflated price so HuluPlus has ads but I do think they might be aware if they start going over a minute and half on a break they'll lose subscriptions. I don't have Prime but this seems to be the topic for Amazon streaming in general. I have used Amazon for the cable network shows like "Justified" but I may try another service for upcoming shows like "Continuum" (which I like to watch the day after it airs rather than a month later on Hulu) to get a better quality stream.
Old 03-29-2014, 10:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Just tried to watch the final episode of "Helix" on Amazon and it is down. Checking around it seemed to be down for others last night too.
Old 03-30-2014, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Apparently it is a problem with Sony BD players. There is a bunch of posts over in the BD player section about this as well a lots of messages on the Instant Video forum on Amazon.
Old 04-23-2014, 07:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 76
http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=176060&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1921211&highlight=

Amazon and HBO Ink Exclusive Multi-Year Deal to Bring Award-Winning HBO Programming to Prime Members
For the first time ever, favorite HBO series like The Sopranos, Six Feet Under, The Wire, Big Love, Eastbound & Down, Oz, Band of Brothers and Deadwood, as well as early seasons of Boardwalk Empire and True Blood, will become available on Amazon Prime Instant Video

HBO GO coming to Amazon’s Fire TV

SEATTLE--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Apr. 23, 2014-- (NASDAQ:AMZN)—Amazon.com, Inc. today announced a content licensing agreement with HBO, making Prime Instant Video the exclusive online-only subscription home for select HBO programming. The collection includes award-winning shows such as The Sopranos, Six Feet Under, The Wire, Big Love, Deadwood, Eastbound & Down, Family Tree, Enlightened, Treme, early seasons of Boardwalk Empire and True Blood, as well as mini-series like Band of Brothers, John Adams and more. Previous seasons of other HBO shows, such as Girls, The Newsroom and Veep will become available over the course of the multi-year agreement, approximately three years after airing on HBO. The first wave of content will arrive on Prime Instant Video May 21. This is the first time that HBO programming has been licensed to an online-only subscription streaming service. This programming will remain on all HBO platforms.

In addition, HBO GO will become available on Fire TV, targeting a launch by year-end. HBO GO is HBO’s authenticated streaming service offering subscribers instant access to over 1,700 titles online including every episode of new and classic HBO series, as well as HBO original films, miniseries, sports, documentaries, specials and a wide selection of blockbuster movies.

“HBO has produced some of the most groundbreaking, beloved and award-winning shows in television history, with more than 115 Emmys amongst the assortment of shows coming to Prime members next month,” said Brad Beale, Director of Content Acquisition for Amazon. “HBO original content is some of the most-popular across Amazon Instant Video—our customers love watching these shows. Now Prime members can enjoy a collection of great HBO shows on an unlimited basis, at no additional cost to their Prime membership.”

“Amazon has built a wonderful service—we are excited to have our programming made available to their vast customer base and believe the exposure will create new HBO subscribers,” said Charles Schreger, President of Programming Sales for HBO.

“As owners of our original programming, we have always sought to capitalize on that investment. Given our longstanding relationship with Amazon, we couldn’t think of a better partner to entrust with this valuable collection,” said Glenn Whitehead, Executive Vice President of Business and Legal Affairs, who along with Schreger headed up HBO’s negotiating team. “We’re also excited to bring HBO GO to Amazon’s Fire TV. The features like unified voice search will provide a compelling experience for HBO customers.”

Beginning May 21, Amazon Prime members will have unlimited streaming access to:

All seasons of revered classics such as The Sopranos, The Wire, Deadwood, Rome and Six Feet Under, and of recent favorites such as Eastbound & Down, Enlightened and Flight of the Conchords
Epic miniseries, including Angels in America, Band of Brothers, John Adams, The Pacific and Parade’s End
Select seasons of current series such as Boardwalk Empire, Treme and True Blood
Hit original movies like Game Change, Too Big To Fail and You Don’t Know Jack
Pedigreed documentaries including the Autopsy and Iceman series, Ghosts of Abu Ghraib and When the Levees Broke
Hilarious original comedy specials from Lewis Black, Ellen DeGeneres, Louis CK and Bill Maher
The multi-year deal will bring additional seasons of the current series named above, along with early seasons of other series like Girls, The Newsroom and Veep to Prime members over the life of the deal.

Earlier this month, Amazon introduced Fire TV, a tiny box that plugs into your HDTV for easy and instant access to Netflix, Prime Instant Video, Hulu Plus, WatchESPN, SHOWTIME, low-cost video rentals, and much more. Fire TV also brings photos, music, and games to the living room. Meet Amazon Fire TV at www.amazon.com/FireTV.

OTA | Netflix | Hulu+ | Amazon Prime | NBA via Ballstreams, MLB.tv & MLS Live with No Blackouts!
Old 04-23-2014, 10:14 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Whoa. Did not see that coming.

No mention of Game of Thrones is very interesting.
Old 04-23-2014, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 37
It may depend on what the deal with GoT's production company and others involved is. Being newer and starting when streaming was just hitting the mainstream, it may have language requiring a separate deal. Also, as mentioned, there is something about a 3-year delay, which may or may not play into it.

Need help with your Motorola DVR? Check the Wikibook: How to use a Motorola DVR
Old 04-23-2014, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I am curious on whether these shows from HBO will be in 720p or 1080p. Would be really nice if we could get 1080p, but I believe the HBO GO platform only does 720p so we may be stuck with that.

I am also curious on if there is any information on the internet that says what is 1080p or 720p on Amazon. There is not a way to tell unless you play it. On the PS3 the hud will show HD or 1080p and it usually takes a minute or two to get 1080p.
Old 04-23-2014, 08:53 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1148 Post(s)
Liked: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Matt View Post

I am curious on whether these shows from HBO will be in 720p or 1080p. Would be really nice if we could get 1080p, but I believe the HBO GO platform only does 720p so we may be stuck with that.

I am also curious on if there is any information on the internet that says what is 1080p or 720p on Amazon. There is not a way to tell unless you play it. On the PS3 the hud will show HD or 1080p and it usually takes a minute or two to get 1080p.

It does the same with Amazon streaming on the FireTV. Although on mine it has typically gone to 1080P within 20 seconds. But during peak times it will take longer.

53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3--32TB unRAID1a
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
Old 04-23-2014, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Matt View Post

I am curious on whether these shows from HBO will be in 720p or 1080p. Would be really nice if we could get 1080p, but I believe the HBO GO platform only does 720p so we may be stuck with that..

1080p on my Fire HDX tablet. (Game of Thrones Season 2 Bluray digital copies) Took two minutes to shift from 720p to 1080p.
Old 04-24-2014, 12:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by calculon68 View Post

1080p on my Fire HDX tablet. (Game of Thrones Season 2 Bluray digital copies) Took two minutes to shift from 720p to 1080p.

But that is not HBO GO or Amazon Instant (Edit apologies maybe it is on the Fire HDX tablet which seems to have the HBO GO app already - what do you mean when you say Blu-Ray Digital copy?) - the question will be if HBO GO (or older HBO shows on Amazon Instant) on the Fire TV can match the current Amazon Instant 1080P Streaming.

HBO GO I have seen on other platforms is about 4 - 5 Mbps and OK picture quality - but not great - certainly not as good as DirecTV for the same program.

If they can match Amazon Instant 1080P Streaming that would be a big deal for me and I would use HBO GO a lot more.....
Old 04-24-2014, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by undecided View Post

But that is not HBO GO or Amazon Instant (Edit apologies maybe it is on the Fire HDX tablet which seems to have the HBO GO app already - what do you mean when you say Blu-Ray Digital copy?) - the question will be if HBO GO (or older HBO shows on Amazon Instant) on the Fire TV can match the current Amazon Instant 1080P Streaming..

Amazon has existing HBO content in the Amazon Instant Video store- it just hasn't been released to Prime (yet) and you have to purchase it. My GoT Season 2 Blu Ray discs gave you me options for digital copy: iTunes, UV and Amazon. I redeemed the Amazon and UV copies (gave me both!) And GoT S2 is in my video library.

GoT 1080p on Amazon Instant via Fire HDX tablet
Old 04-24-2014, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by calculon68 View Post

Amazon has existing HBO content in the Amazon Instant Video store- it just hasn't been released to Prime (yet) and you have to purchase it. My GoT Season 2 Blu Ray discs gave you me options for digital copy: iTunes, UV and Amazon. I redeemed the Amazon and UV copies (gave me both!) And GoT S2 is in my video library.

GoT 1080p on Amazon Instant via Fire HDX tablet

Thanks for the clarification - so HBO material on Amazon Instant should be 1080P on the Fire TV - which is excellent news.

Even better would be if HBO GO is 1080P (at similar quality to Amazon Instant) when available on the Fire TV.
Old 04-24-2014, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

What does 1080p do for you when HBO original broadcast is native 720p?
Old 04-24-2014, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post

What does 1080p do for you when HBO original broadcast is native 720p?

Have you ever seen HBO material on Blu-Ray?

I have Game Of Thrones Season 1 on Blu-Ray and it looks and sounds stunning (and certainly 1080P)

I viewed Season 2 and 3 on DirecTV which was OK - but clearly nothing close to the Blu-Ray.

HBO on DirecTV still looks better than HBO GO on current platforms.

So if HBO GO on the Fire TV was 1080P similar to Amazon Instant 1080P I would be very happy. I know it won't be Blu-Ray quality it should be a lot better than what we get now on HBO GO.
Old 04-24-2014, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

I do not really see an answer in there so again - if HBO is native 720p is that source being scaled to 1080p?
Old 04-24-2014, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I do not really see an answer in there so again - if HBO is native 720p is that source being scaled to 1080p?

Maybe I didn't answer directly - buts that because I didn't accept your assertion that HBO content is 720P native

If you think HBO material on Blu-Ray is 720P content scaled to 1080P I have a bridge to sell you.......

Why do you think that HBO content is 720P native? Actually what is the source of your comment that HBO original broadcast is native 720p? As far as I can tell it is 1080i on DirecTV (maybe I am wrong - but I would like to see the source of your assertion)

However even if it was being broadcast in 720P they certainly have higher resolution source available for Blu-Ray and therefore this could also be used to source 1080P streaming and would look better than HBO GO today...
Old 04-24-2014, 01:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked: 879
Just because it gets broadcast at 720p that doesn't mean that the source was 720p. Things that were originally broadcast as 720p on Fox and ABC are 1080p from streaming services. The video is converted for broadcast.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
Old 04-24-2014, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

^^ the answer I was looking for. Of course the amount of compression matters also.
Old 04-24-2014, 01:39 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked: 493
HBO is a native 1080i MPEG4 broadcast, what happens after it gets to your provider is anybody's guess.
Old 04-24-2014, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:

The production flow and final master is most likely 1080p/24. That format can be converted to many other formats without much quality loss. The same can not be said of 1080i/30, 720p/60, etc.

Live and delayed broadcast may be in the networks native format. Example, David Letterman is most likely recorded and distributed in 1080i/30.
Old 05-05-2014, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Amazon Prime shows coming up in May. CNN article. Scroll down.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/05/02/showbiz/movies/netflix-amazon-prime-streaming-movies-may/index.html?c=&page=5

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

Old 06-05-2014, 08:17 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is anyone having difficulty maintaining "HD 1080p" on Amazon Prime Instant Video. I'm on Comcast. Netflix 1080p works great but Amazon Prime only get stable 1080p in the mornings. I get better luck with my PS3 than with the Roku Streaming stick.
Old 06-05-2014, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't know about 1080p but with Amazon Instant last night I had rebuffering to the extent I exited the app and started it over again and it streamed fine for about 30 minutes then rebuffered only once again. Netflix, OTOH, played through a whole movie at 1080p except for about 30 seconds around 10:30 PM. I haven't seen rebuffering or lower resolutions on Amazon for some time.
Old 06-05-2014, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabbro View Post

Is anyone having difficulty maintaining "HD 1080p" on Amazon Prime Instant Video. I'm on Comcast. Netflix 1080p works great but Amazon Prime only get stable 1080p in the mornings. I get better luck with my PS3 than with the Roku Streaming stick.

I am also on Comcast.

It can take a minute or so for the 1080P logo to appear - but once its there I seem to be able to reliably hold 1080P on Amazon Instant on a FireTV. Note the average download speed seems to be 12 - 13 Mbps when ramping up to and playing 1080P.
Old 06-12-2014, 02:52 PM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Can anyone with an Xbox One and a way to measure their network usage test and see if the console gets the 1080p 12+ Mbps streams using the Amazon app, please?
Old 06-19-2014, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaremyP View Post
Can anyone with an Xbox One and a way to measure their network usage test and see if the console gets the 1080p 12+ Mbps streams using the Amazon app, please?

I think it might be. You can see where I started streaming via the spike and it seems to avg above 10mbps quite a bit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bandwidth.JPG
Views:	22
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	126594  
Old 06-19-2014, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Why doesn't Amazon use eyeIO codecs like Netflix does for there HD content? They can cut the bandwidth usage nearly in half for whatever codec they use now most likely VC-1. Or is eyeIO exclusive to Netflix.

Earthlink Extreme powered by Time Warner Cable Brooklyn.
ASUS RT-N66W Router 374.43 (Merlin Build) using OpenDNS.
Toshiba 39L2300U (My Bedroom) - Amazon Fire TV, Sony PS4 Wired. Apple TV Wireless.
Toshiba 32RV530U (Living Room) - Amazon Fire TV, Sony PS3 Slim Wired
Cats are the best pets.
Old 06-20-2014, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddice View Post
Why doesn't Amazon use eyeIO codecs like Netflix does for there HD content? They can cut the bandwidth usage nearly in half for whatever codec they use now most likely VC-1. Or is eyeIO exclusive to Netflix.
Compatibility. You open all kinds of issues with compatibility using newer codecs that they probably don't have the resources to cover compared to Netflix.
Old 06-20-2014, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked: 62
I see I thought the eyeIO codec was a Netflix exclusive. I do find Amazon 480p SD and 720p HD video blows away Netflix in picture quality.

Really notice that Netflix eyeIO looks great but when it drops down to sub 720p amazon blows them away.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Earthlink Extreme powered by Time Warner Cable Brooklyn.
ASUS RT-N66W Router 374.43 (Merlin Build) using OpenDNS.
Toshiba 39L2300U (My Bedroom) - Amazon Fire TV, Sony PS4 Wired. Apple TV Wireless.
Toshiba 32RV530U (Living Room) - Amazon Fire TV, Sony PS3 Slim Wired
Cats are the best pets.