post #1291 of 1318 Old 07-20-2014, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
I just played a 5.1 title (Dredd) on Roku 3, Xbox One, Xbox 360 and PS3 and got basic DD from all of them (well, 5.1 channel LPCM from Xbox One). How old is your BDP?
Old, but that doesn't matter if you are sending the bitstream signal to the AV receiver. My old receiver couldn't decode DD+ the new one does. But that isn't the issue. It's the strange biz of some titles show PCM but Dolby if switched. Most of the time HDMI works. Some titles work by SPDIF instead of HDMI. I haven't bothered to look into it if it is a Sony quirk or an Amazon one. HDMI goes out of the BD player and into the AV Receiver which acts of course as switcher to send the HDMI video to the TV. If a title comes up PCM then I grab the Yamaha AV remote and switch it to the other signal for audio input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1292 of 1318 Old 07-20-2014, 07:22 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by niccolo View Post
Have you guys noticed that Amazon Prime streaming repeatedly throws in micro-pauses, generally during cuts? It's fast enough that one could easily miss it, but once noticed, it's pretty obvious and a bit annoying. I've got a fast cable internet connection, and anyway it's only micro-pauses at specific moments, so almost certainly not the connection. I'm using a Panasonic Blu-ray player to access the content, so I suppose it's possible the processing in that is causing this, but my impression is that it's a function of Amazon's content provision, since lots of other folks online have the same issue.
No one else is bothered by this?
post #1293 of 1318 Old 07-20-2014, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I'm not getting any micro pauses on my Fire TV.

Earthlink Standard powered by Time Warner Cable Brooklyn.
ASUS RT-N66W Router 374.43 (Merlin Build) using OpenDNS.
Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV 3, Roku 3, Sony PS3 Slim, Sony PS4 all Wired. Chromecast Wireless.
Cats are the best pets.
post #1294 of 1318 Old 07-20-2014, 10:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
No one else is bothered by this?
Does this occur on every title you're watching, or are these 'micro-pauses' randomly happening?

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #1295 of 1318 Old 07-20-2014, 10:31 PM

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Quote:
Have you guys noticed that Amazon Prime streaming repeatedly throws in micro-pauses, generally during cuts? It's fast enough that one could easily miss it, but once noticed, it's pretty obvious and a bit annoying.
I haven't noticed it on my connections. It'd be interesting to see if this is actually increasing the run time of the film, because if it was happening as frequently as you say, the film would wind up being at least a minute longer.

It'd be interesting to record the Amazon Prime streaming output, then cue it up against an original Blu-ray copy and play them in sync, then see at what point they get out of sync (assuming they do). I have experienced dropped packets and other data-related problems from my local ISP, but usually they buffer enough of the Prime streaming feeds, I either don't see or don't notice any significant visual issues.

I do see all kinds of compression and motion artifacts, but given that their HD feeds are maybe 5Mbps at best, you could expect maybe 1/3 the quality of broadcast TV, which is essentially what we're seeing. I haven't yet tried to stream anything since our TWC internet bounced up to 320Mbps, but it'd be interesting to see if it's improved the streaming. I assume this would be pretty close to maximum for Amazon, Netflix, or iTunes' peak streaming rate.
post #1296 of 1318 Old 07-20-2014, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddice View Post
I'm not getting any micro pauses on my Fire TV.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westly-C View Post
Does this occur on every title you're watching, or are these 'micro-pauses' randomly happening?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Wielage View Post
I haven't noticed it on my connections. It'd be interesting to see if this is actually increasing the run time of the film, because if it was happening as frequently as you say, the film would wind up being at least a minute longer.

It'd be interesting to record the Amazon Prime streaming output, then cue it up against an original Blu-ray copy and play them in sync, then see at what point they get out of sync (assuming they do). I have experienced dropped packets and other data-related problems from my local ISP, but usually they buffer enough of the Prime streaming feeds, I either don't see or don't notice any significant visual issues.

I do see all kinds of compression and motion artifacts, but given that their HD feeds are maybe 5Mbps at best, you could expect maybe 1/3 the quality of broadcast TV, which is essentially what we're seeing. I haven't yet tried to stream anything since our TWC internet bounced up to 320Mbps, but it'd be interesting to see if it's improved the streaming. I assume this would be pretty close to maximum for Amazon, Netflix, or iTunes' peak streaming rate.
This seems to happen consistently on Amazon Prime, but not with other content. Basically, when a movie is cutting to a new shot, it will hesitate for a split second too long. Other people don't notice it until I point it out, at which point they definitely notice it.

Interesting idea to compare the length of a film or to run two parallel, though I'm not sure how I'd do the latter. Another thing I should try is streaming Amazon Prime on my laptop to see if it occurs, I haven't tried that.

Here are some other people reporting the exact same issue with Amazon video streaming: http://www.computerforum.com/215050-...ng-movies.html

Benq W1070 projector w/ Chief RSM mount with custom interface bracket
119" Da-Lite Cinema Contour with High-Contrast (gray) Da-Mat screen
Denon X2000 receiver fed by Panasonic DMP-BDT210 Bluray player
Focal Chorus 700-series towers and center, JMLab Tantal 500-series bookshelf rears
Rythmik FV15HP sub
post #1297 of 1318 Old 07-20-2014, 11:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Wielage View Post

See imagics The Grand Budapest Hotel: Blu-ray vs. Vudu vs. iTunes vs. Amazon review for some side by side Amazon Instant / Blu-Ray screenshots

On devices that can get the Amazon Instant 1080P stream the bit rate is around 10 Mpbs and looks very good. Amazon Instant 1080P on a Fire TV looks better (at least to me) than Netflix 5800 kpbs 1080P (which still looks pretty good), DirecTV 8 Mbps (720P, 1080i, 1080P24) MPEG4 which should be very close the the ATSC MPEG2 broadcast quality, Vudu HDX (9Mbps) and iTunes (one day when I have time I'll check bit arte of a downloaded title).

As I said above - now I will choose Amazon Instant on a Fire TV if available unless I have access to the Blu-Ray.
Marc Wielage likes this.

Last edited by undecided; 07-21-2014 at 12:10 AM.
post #1298 of 1318 Old 07-21-2014, 12:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
This seems to happen consistently on Amazon Prime, but not with other content. Basically, when a movie is cutting to a new shot, it will hesitate for a split second too long. Other people don't notice it until I point it out, at which point they definitely notice it.

Interesting idea to compare the length of a film or to run two parallel, though I'm not sure how I'd do the latter. Another thing I should try is streaming Amazon Prime on my laptop to see if it occurs, I haven't tried that.

Here are some other people reporting the exact same issue with Amazon video streaming: http://www.computerforum.com/215050-...ng-movies.html
So is it every title?

Which playback device are you using.

When I first got my Fire TV I saw what you are describing on one Continuum Episode (at the time I assumed it was a bad encode) - some in the Fire TV Thread here also reported the same but it seemed to vary on which TV they were using.

I haven't seen the issue on any Amazon Instant content I have watched in the last couple of months on a Panasonic Plasma.

Last edited by undecided; 07-21-2014 at 12:12 AM.
post #1299 of 1318 Old 07-21-2014, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by undecided View Post
So is it every title?

Which playback device are you using.

When I first got my Fire TV I saw what you are describing on one Continuum Episode (at the time I assumed it was a bad encode) - some in the fire TV Thread here also reported the same but it seemed to vary on which TV they were using.

I haven't seen the issue on any Amazon Instant content I have watched in the last couple of months on a Panasonic Plasma.
It sounds a bit different than what others on here have experienced, I've only noticed the brief pauses at cuts, and not even every cut. A friend suggested it seemed most prevalent (or noticeable) when there was a lot of movement before the cut. Yep, it seems to arise with everything I've streamed through Amazon so far--e.g. various movies and TV shows, all pretty recent stuff. I'm accessing this content through my Panasonic DMP-BDT210 Bluray player, connected via HDMI to my Denon X2000 AVR and from there via HDMI to my Benq W1070 projector.

Benq W1070 projector w/ Chief RSM mount with custom interface bracket
119" Da-Lite Cinema Contour with High-Contrast (gray) Da-Mat screen
Denon X2000 receiver fed by Panasonic DMP-BDT210 Bluray player
Focal Chorus 700-series towers and center, JMLab Tantal 500-series bookshelf rears
Rythmik FV15HP sub
post #1300 of 1318 Old 07-21-2014, 04:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 306
I have zero issues with Amazon streaming right now. Sony blu-ray players.

65" VT50 / BDT460
X4000 / Outlaw Model 7125
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Directv HR44-200 / HR24-500
post #1301 of 1318 Old 07-21-2014, 05:46 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked: 664
I still don't see 1080P listed from my FireTV when streaming Amazon content. Prior to the last update it showed up most of the time.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #1302 of 1318 Old 07-21-2014, 06:17 AM
AVS Special Member

I get that when streaming Netflix off my tablet micro freezes but the app streams so bad anyway. Also yes I do get it all the time when streaming Amazon video using Silverlight on the laptop which stutters bad so I only watch it on the TV which does not stutter at all.

Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV 3, Roku 3, Sony PS3 Slim, Sony PS4 all Wired. Chromecast Wireless.
Cats are the best pets.
post #1303 of 1318 Old 07-21-2014, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
It sounds a bit different than what others on here have experienced, I've only noticed the brief pauses at cuts, and not even every cut. A friend suggested it seemed most prevalent (or noticeable) when there was a lot of movement before the cut. Yep, it seems to arise with everything I've streamed through Amazon so far--e.g. various movies and TV shows, all pretty recent stuff. I'm accessing this content through my Panasonic DMP-BDT210 Bluray player, connected via HDMI to my Denon X2000 AVR and from there via HDMI to my Benq W1070 projector.
The problem lies with the Panasonic 210 Blu-ray player. When it was new I used mine for streaming Netflix and Amazon Prime, the brief pauses were annoying. Now I only use it for Blu-ray's which it does a fine job with. For flawless streaming I moved on to the Roku 3.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #1304 of 1318 Old 07-21-2014, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
The problem lies with the Panasonic 210 Blu-ray player. When it was new I used mine for streaming Netflix and Amazon Prime, the brief pauses were annoying. Now I only use it for Blu-ray's which it does a fine job with. For flawless streaming I moved on to the Roku 3.
Bummer. I wonder if a firmware update could fix this? It's interesting that lots of other people report the same problem who aren't using Panasonic players.
post #1305 of 1318 Old 07-31-2014, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member

I have been rewatching Doctor Who. Season 7 is finally on Netflix but I am not watching it on there because I want to see it in HD from start to finish and not the fluctuated crap of SD to HD dropping back to SD I get on Netflix.

I am on season 3. Is it true that Season 6 and up are only in HD? . I thought they had all seasons on Blu-ray disc.

Cats are the best pets.
post #1306 of 1318 Old 08-01-2014, 04:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I don't understand the question, but I went and checked - apparently I bought the SD versions of season 7 as I "own" them but still have the option to buy them in HD...

v/r,
C-F
post #1307 of 1318 Old 08-01-2014, 08:42 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANNON-FODDER View Post
I don't understand the question, but I went and checked - apparently I bought the SD versions of season 7 as I "own" them but still have the option to buy them in HD...

v/r,
C-F
Since you bought them previously you would still have access to them. But the SD might not be available for new purchasers. I have a bunch of digital content I've purchased over the last six years that I still have access to. But if I didn't own it I would not have access to it any more because it is not available any more on the sreaming service. I have titles I purchased on all the streaming services that are like this.

LED DLP

post #1308 of 1318 Old 08-01-2014, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

I am talking about the disc's. I read that Doctor Who has all the seasons on Blu Ray but except for the specials season 6 and up was only in HD.

Cats are the best pets.
post #1309 of 1318 Old 08-01-2014, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddice View Post
I am talking about the disc's. I read that Doctor Who has all the seasons on Blu Ray but except for the specials season 6 and up was only in HD.
Seasons 1-4 are SD (I assume PAL 576i widescreen.) The first "Season 4.5" special "The Next Doctor" is also SD. The second special "Planet of the Dead" (the one with the double-decker bus in the desert) is the first HD, with everything after in HD.
reddice likes this.

Need help with your Motorola DVR? Check the Wikibook: How to use a Motorola DVR
post #1310 of 1318 Old 08-04-2014, 08:24 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone use Chromebooks to stream to their tv's? I'm using the Acer C720 and Amazon video stutters and never gets HD. This happens on other sites too, but works fine on Youtube. Haven't tried HD Youtube yet, I don't think. I don't understand! Everyone who has this model says streaming HD is flawless.
post #1311 of 1318 Old 08-05-2014, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

The Fire TV is the best Amazon streamer. It was built for Amazon and I have no issues anytime getting and to maintain a HD stream.
rslavin2002 likes this.

Cats are the best pets.
post #1312 of 1318 Old 08-05-2014, 11:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Who here uses the Amazon Instant PS3 app? Has anyone noticed that the captioning doesn't respect your settings on the website? I have the background set to transparent, but that doesn't seem to be respected on the PS3...it uses a black or white background always.
post #1313 of 1318 Old 08-05-2014, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
I don't seem to have any problems with Amazon Instant and I'm running it on the ancient Sony BDP-S480.
post #1314 of 1318 Old 08-15-2014, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 25
I am loving the updated user interface. Previous version was so bad, I didn't watch Amazon Prime a whole lot. But they finally put some thought behind the design.

post #1315 of 1318 Old 08-20-2014, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Just finished watching the first season of Betas. Anyone know if there will be a second season? Writing and the acting is pretty good, with interesting cast of characters.

post #1316 of 1318 Old 08-23-2014, 04:44 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamian View Post
Just finished watching the first season of Betas. Anyone know if there will be a second season? Writing and the acting is pretty good, with interesting cast of characters.
I had heard they renewed Alpha House, but I never heard anything about Betas.

Edit: On the Betas Wiki page it says
Quote:
In March, Amazon declined to renew for a second season
Which does suck. I did enjoy watching Betas. I would have liked to have been able to watch a second season. At least Alphas was renewed. I thought that show was much better than Betas. And I guess I'll also watch "The After" which Amazon picked up.

LED DLP

Last edited by aaronwt; 08-23-2014 at 04:49 PM.
post #1317 of 1318 Old 08-24-2014, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 306
I wish they'd hurry up with The After and Bosch. Too long in between the pilot and series start, I prefer how Netflix is doing it.
Keenan likes this.

65" VT50 / BDT460
X4000 / Outlaw Model 7125
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Directv HR44-200 / HR24-500
post #1318 of 1318 Old 08-24-2014, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamian View Post
I had heard they renewed Alpha House, but I never heard anything about Betas.

Edit: On the Betas Wiki page it says
Quote:
In March, Amazon declined to renew for a second season
Which does suck. I did enjoy watching Betas. I would have liked to have been able to watch a second season. At least Alphas was renewed. I thought that show was much better than Betas. And I guess I'll also watch "The After" which Amazon picked up.
Thanks for the update. I will have to check out the Alphas.
Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page