Forum Jump: 
 18Likes
post #1441 of 1451 Old Yesterday, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 32
UPDATE - Yup! The Fire refused to connect at any resolution into a DisplayPort input (I don't have an HDMI ready monitor other than my projector) other than to give a blocky low-res rendition of its menus. When I try to play anything it says

"Error Code: PLAYREADY_HDCPFAIL"

And manually setting the display resolution gets an "unsupported resolution" message at all settings, even 720/50Hz.

This is a lot more annoying than I thought it would be.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1442 of 1451 Old Yesterday, 03:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked: 808
Philnick, TL;DR, sorry--can you succinctly state exactly what equipment you're trying to get 1080p Amazon on? What's running the streaming app and how is it connected to your TV and to the network?

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #1443 of 1451 Old Yesterday, 04:27 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1023 Post(s)
Liked: 846
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philnick View Post

Does Amazon limit "HD 1080" to purchased or rented content on Amazon Instant Video and limit Prime streaming to "HD" (720)? I could test that possibility by making an exception to my rule against paying for streaming content but I'd appreciate hearing from someone here who has actually gotten Prime to stream at 1080 or done that experiment and determined that Amazon itself is to blame.
No they don't limit purchased or rented content. I tested most of the titles you listed and had no problem getting "HD 1080P" to show up on my FireTV or FireTV sticks.

Can you try your FireTV at another location with a different Internet connection?

40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #1444 of 1451 Old Yesterday, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
Philnick, TL;DR, sorry--can you succinctly state exactly what equipment you're trying to get 1080p Amazon on? What's running the streaming app and how is it connected to your TV and to the network?
I'm using a brand-new Amazon Fire TV, connected via HDMI to my 1080p projector and via Dolby Digital over optical to my pre-HDMI AVR. This is in my basement theater. The Fire is replacing an old Roku XD|S that I'm giving to my daughter. I got the Fire to step my Prime video up to 1080 from the 720 I got from the Roku.

The Fire is cabled via ethernet to a Verizon FIOS box that I use as a MoCA bridge over coax to another FIOS box in my second-floor apartment. (I learned about using used FIOS boxes to do MoCA bridging from a thread here.) That's connected via an ethernet cable, LAN jack to LAN jack, to my main router, an old Linksys WRT54G plugged into my Comcast Xfinity cable modem/router. The Linksys is the only router allowed to give out addresses on the network.

It turns out that according to TestMy.net my Linksys is dropping the 80 Mbps output of the Comcast router down to 25 Mbps, and that even if I connect the FIOS bridge directly to the Comcast router, the FIOS bridge has a maximum speed of about 35 Mbps, which isn't enough for my Fire to switch from "HD" to "HD 1080."

I'm using TestMy.net because it's a lot more rigorous than speedtest.net ("Ookla"). TestMy.net lets you download files consisting of random bits as large as 200 MBytes to test sustained throughput.

At this point I'm leaning towards moving the Comcast cablemodem/router down to the theater, plugging the Fire and the Oppo directly into it, and using the MoCA bridge to provide connectivity to the PC upstairs, which I've been happy enough with at its current speed. That way I can still stream music off my upstairs PC into the Oppo, since it will still all be one big happy network.

Last edited by Philnick; Yesterday at 04:55 PM.
post #1445 of 1451 Old Yesterday, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
No they don't limit purchased or rented content. I tested most of the titles you listed and had no problem getting "HD 1080P" to show up on my FireTV or FireTV sticks.

Can you try your FireTV at another location with a different Internet connection?
I assume you mean that they don't limit 1080 to purchased or rented content - they certainly wouldn't make that worse than Prime!

My post at the top of this page describes what happened when I brought my Fire upstairs and plugged it directly into my Comcast cablemodem/router and a computer monitor with an HDMI to DisplayPort cable, since the only HDMI display I have is my projector. Long story short - the Fire will connect to a non-HDMI monitor only to show its menus at 480i (if that) but won't play anything at all!

I'll have to "bring the mountain to Mohammed" by taking the Comcast cable modem down to my theater to see if its direct output will get me 1080 from Prime.

Last edited by Philnick; Yesterday at 04:57 PM.
post #1446 of 1451 Old Yesterday, 05:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked: 808
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philnick View Post
I'm using a brand-new Amazon Fire TV, connected via HDMI to my 1080p projector and via Dolby Digital over optical to my pre-HDMI AVR. This is in my basement theater. The Fire is replacing an old Roku XD|S that I'm giving to my daughter. I got the Fire to step my Prime video up to 1080 from the 720 I got from the Roku.

Got it.

Quote:
It turns out that according to TestMy.net my Linksys is dropping the 80 Mbps output of the Comcast router down to 25 Mbps, and that even if I connect the FIOS bridge directly to the Comcast router, the FIOS bridge has a maximum speed of about 35 Mbps, which isn't enough for my Fire to switch from "HD" to "HD 1080."

I'm using TestMy.net because it's a lot more rigorous than speedtest.net ("Ookla"). TestMy.net lets you download files consisting of random bits as large as 200 MBytes to test sustained throughput.

Another test that you might want to try is SpeedOf.Me. 25Mbps ought to be enough to get Amazon's 10 Mbps 1080p encodes. Of course, I can't confirm that since I have nominally 100 Mbps service on Cox San Diego South, on which SpeedTest.net tells me I'm getting 117 Mbps and SpeedOf.Me gives me 85 Mbps (TestMy.net gives me 71 Mbps, but it for some reason tests speed to a server in Dallas, about 1300 miles from here; then again SpeedTest.net gives me similar speed to a Dallas server, just much higher ping).

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #1447 of 1451 Old Yesterday, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
. . .Another test that you might want to try is SpeedOf.Me. 25Mbps ought to be enough to get Amazon's 10 Mbps 1080p encodes. Of course, I can't confirm that since I have nominally 100 Mbps service on Cox San Diego South, on which SpeedTest.net tells me I'm getting 117 Mbps and SpeedOf.Me gives me 85 Mbps (TestMy.net gives me 71 Mbps, but it for some reason tests speed to a server in Dallas, about 1300 miles from here; then again SpeedTest.net gives me similar speed to a Dallas server, just much higher ping).
TestMy.net lets you change the city you're testing to, same as SpeedTest.net - it's just a bit harder to find. Click the word Servers next to where it says what city it's testing to get the list of cities.

Changing the server city on TestMy.Net can make a major difference: just now, testing from my Linksys to Dallas was still around 25Mbps, while simply changing the server city to Washington, DC yielded 43.3 Mbps. SpeedOf.Me, testing to NYC (with no obvious way to change that) yields about 35 to 40.

In the next few days I'll try bringing the cable modem/router downstairs to see what plugging the Fire directly into it does.

post #1448 of 1451 Old Yesterday, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked: 298
+1 for testmy.net
Cox in my area does a "speedboost" that ookla and speedtest.net do not compensate for. So for safety I always choose 50MB as the download on testmy.net

PSN: Cravit8
XBL: oOo_Crav_oOo
post #1449 of 1451 Old Yesterday, 07:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 602 Post(s)
Liked: 1074
You're killing me....screw all of you with your high speed access! Just ran testmy.net and got a whopping 2.4mbps. No choice here but dsl from Century Link....

"I realize that somebody playing free music isn't as commercial as a hamburger stand. But is it because you can eat a hamburger and hold it in your hand and you can't do that with music? Is it too free to control?" - Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) discussing commercial success in the music biz

post #1450 of 1451 Old Yesterday, 10:55 PM
AVS Special Member

The price of the Amazon Fire just dropped $20 to $79. No idea for how long.

post #1451 of 1451 Unread Today, 09:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 602 Post(s)
Liked: 1074
Just watched Borgman tonight....strange flick, quite captivating. Recommend.

"I realize that somebody playing free music isn't as commercial as a hamburger stand. But is it because you can eat a hamburger and hold it in your hand and you can't do that with music? Is it too free to control?" - Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) discussing commercial success in the music biz

Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page