post #1471 of 1481 Unread 12-23-2014, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddice View Post
When I had 15mb down I never once got 1080p on Amazon Instant using the Fire TV. My PS3 and PS4 was able to achieve 1080p playback sometimes. However as soon as my speeds increased to 50mb down I had no issues get 1080p on the content that had it.
That may be why I had to reconfigure - the MOCA link between floors tops out under 50 mbps. Using TestMy.Net's "Mercury" page, I just selected Amazon Web Services (where Prime & Netflix are both served from) as the server, I just got 41.1 mbps upstairs, which is what it would have been to the Fire before I moved the cable modem to the theater.

Moving the cable modem down to the theater was thus necessary. With 70 to 80 mbps into the Amazon Fire TV (plugged directly into the cable modem's ethernet jacks), I now get 1080p starting at second 30 of anything with that encoding.

I assume that delay is for buffering. It makes me grateful for studio logo sequences that give the system time to ramp up to 1080 before the show starts!

I'm also grateful that, unlike Roku, which has dropped the optical output since the XDS, Amazon decided to include an optical jack for compatibility with pre-HDMI AV Receivers and to pay for the licensing necessary to convert DD+ to conventional DD 5.1 over optical. It saved me from being stranded at 720p unless I bought a new AV Receiver.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1472 of 1481 Unread 12-24-2014, 03:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked: 1108
Just power watched their new series Mozart in the Jungle tonight. Liked it a lot, highly recommend.

"I realize that somebody playing free music isn't as commercial as a hamburger stand. But is it because you can eat a hamburger and hold it in your hand and you can't do that with music? Is it too free to control?" - Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) discussing commercial success in the music biz

post #1473 of 1481 Unread 12-26-2014, 04:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post
Just power watched their new series Mozart in the Jungle tonight. Liked it a lot, highly recommend.

We loved the pilot. We are trying to get through Marco Polo on Netflix, also excellent, and then will get back to Mozart.
post #1474 of 1481 Unread 12-26-2014, 11:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 32
"Orphan Black" OMFG!

I've been focusing on Warehouse 13 recently, and my spouse loves Lark Rise to Candleford, but I was referred by a PC Magazine article listing "great geeky stuff on Prime" to a BBC show (set in America) called Orphan Black.

It is a real mind-fxxx of a show, about a young woman named Sara - a bit of a screwed-up British orphan
Spoiler!
- who sees another woman on the same subway platform slowly take off her high heels, leave her purse with them, and deliberately step in front of a train.

While the crowd gathers around the body, Sara looks in the purse at the photo id of the jumper - and sees her own face.
Spoiler!

There are 10 episodes in the first season (2013), but this year's season isn't free yet. The star, who plays half of the characters - who have very distinct personalities and styles - is so good that it's hard to remember that they're all her.
Spoiler!
It gets stranger and darker by the minute. The Mouse That Roared this ain't !

It's kind of like coming face to face with a King Cobra - I can't bring myself to look away!

UPDATE: I'm only a few shows in, so I couldn't give away any real spoilers if I wanted to - but it's kind of hard to make someone curious about a show without saying anything about it. With a show that's as much like peeling an onion as this one is, it becomes close to impossible.

Last edited by Philnick; Yesterday at 07:29 AM.
post #1475 of 1481 Unread 12-26-2014, 11:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1260 Post(s)
Liked: 630
For those that haven't seen the show you may want to avoid some of the above "review" depending on how fresh you want to be going in. For me at least going in cold was great to have the little surprises happen. It is a great show though and highly recommended.

Sent from an system/360
post #1476 of 1481 Unread Yesterday, 12:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1179 Post(s)
Liked: 835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philnick View Post
I've been focusing on Warehouse 13 recently, and my spouse loves Lark Rise to Candleford, but I was referred by a PC Magazine article listing "great geeky stuff on Prime" to a BBC show (set in America) called Orphan Black.

You might want to wrap your spoiler-y review in [SPOILER] tags.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #1477 of 1481 Unread Yesterday, 05:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philnick View Post
There are 10 episodes in the first season (2013), but this year's season isn't free yet.
Unless you know what you're doing.
post #1478 of 1481 Unread Yesterday, 06:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Season 3 of "Orphan Black" begins on BBC America this April.

Need help with your Motorola DVR? Check the Wikibook: How to use a Motorola DVR
post #1479 of 1481 Unread Yesterday, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Instant Watcher now has a site for new Amazon Instant content.
http://amazon.instantwatcher.com/
I ignore anything on the left of the page that is PPV and just look at the right side of the page which shows new Prime Instant content.

Earthlink Extreme powered by Time Warner Cable Brooklyn.
ASUS RT-N66W Router 374.43 (Merlin Build) using OpenDNS.
Toshiba 39L2300U (My Bedroom) - Amazon Fire TV, Sony PS4 Wired. Apple TV Wireless.
Toshiba 32RV530U (Living Room) - Amazon Fire TV, Sony PS3 Slim Wired
Cats are the best pets.
post #1480 of 1481 Unread Yesterday, 01:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1179 Post(s)
Liked: 835
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddice View Post
I ignore anything on the left of the page that is PPV and just look at the right side of the page which shows new Prime Instant content.

There are filter buttons at the top of the page which let you view "New Prime" and "All Prime".

Thanks--that's useful. Nice that there's a button on each item in the list which lets you click directly through to the page at Amazon, unlike the Netflix IW (the Amazon Prime IV logo).
reddice likes this.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #1481 of 1481 Unread Today, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
There are filter buttons at the top of the page which let you view "New Prime" and "All Prime".
Thanks. I must have missed that. Just bookmarked the page with the prime only filter on.

Earthlink Extreme powered by Time Warner Cable Brooklyn.
ASUS RT-N66W Router 374.43 (Merlin Build) using OpenDNS.
Toshiba 39L2300U (My Bedroom) - Amazon Fire TV, Sony PS4 Wired. Apple TV Wireless.
Toshiba 32RV530U (Living Room) - Amazon Fire TV, Sony PS3 Slim Wired
Cats are the best pets.
Reply Video Download Services & Hardware