Amazon Prime Instant Video - Page 51 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 25Likes
post #1501 of 1529 Old 01-13-2015, 10:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1363 Post(s)
Liked: 879
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninj4Naoto View Post
Hmm, is your PS3 connected via ethernet too? The PS3's wireless is pretty poor. (At least the old models like mine are.)

I only use wireless for phones, tablets and laptops. My PS3 is wired.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1502 of 1529 Old 01-14-2015, 12:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Getting somewhat higher speeds but still no 1080p.
post #1503 of 1529 Old 01-14-2015, 06:49 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1150 Post(s)
Liked: 873
Quote:
Yikes. I had just started to look into getting a new streaming media device but I guess I'll stick with my PS3 for now if Amazon just isn't there yet.
It isn't picky with everyone or every device. I have no problems getting the 1080P encodes from Amazon streaming here from several devices that have access to teh 1080P Amazon encodes.

53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3--32TB unRAID1a
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #1504 of 1529 Old 01-14-2015, 06:52 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
I only use wireless for phones, tablets and laptops. My PS3 is wired.
The PS3 only has up to wireless G. I remember when I had a PS3 and was going to connect it wirelessly but I couldn't get it to connect to any of my APs. That was when I was surprised to find out it only has b and g wireless. So I went back to the wired connection. With my other devices that use wireless N, 2.4 and 5Ghz, the performance is typically identical whether using the wired or wireless connection for the streaming services.

LED DLP
post #1505 of 1529 Old 01-14-2015, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
It isn't picky with everyone or every device. I have no problems getting the 1080P encodes from Amazon streaming here from several devices that have access to teh 1080P Amazon encodes.
Which devices? Besides Amazon's, obviously.

I can post pictures now, so here are the bandwidth charts I referenced for my test of The French Connection yesterday.

Netflix

Amazon

Edit: I have the first episode of Transparent on in the other room and it's getting 1080p. Had tried the fifth episode just prior with no luck. Ugh. Going to let it run a bit longer and then try the fifth episode again.

Edit 2: Switched to the fifth episode and had it for a bit then the app crashed. Now I can't get 1080p with first episode either.

Last edited by ninj4Naoto; 01-14-2015 at 12:20 PM.
post #1506 of 1529 Old 01-14-2015, 12:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1436 Post(s)
Liked: 685
Quote:

Same here I also get UHD via wireless. 1080p seems to be the default speed when I stream from Amazon.

Sent from nowhere
post #1507 of 1529 Old 01-14-2015, 01:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I can post pictures now, so here are the bandwidth charts I referenced for my test of The French Connection yesterday.

I made a tons of those graphs, testing the same 10 minutes of the same film (Ong Bak 2) as streamed from multiple services (Netflix, Amazon, VUDU and Xbox Video) at both 720p and 1080p. I used that film because it had an encoder challenging sequence near the beginning featuring martial arts combat in the rain, guaranteeing that the bitrate of the encoding would be the max.

Your Netflix graph indicates a bitrate of 6193.22 Kbps for that 10 minutes, close enough to the 5992 Kbps of Netflix 5800 Kbps 1080p video + 192 Kbps DD+ sound. (Divided by that bitrate it would be 10 minutes 20 seconds). The 4292.56 Kbps bitrate that you got for Amazon is interesting; was it for the same 10 minutes of The French Connection?

post #1508 of 1529 Old 01-14-2015, 01:35 PM

Quote:
I made a tons of those graphs, testing the same 10 minutes of the same film (Ong Bak 2) as streamed from multiple services (Netflix, Amazon, VUDU and Xbox Video) at both 720p and 1080p. I used that film because it had an encoder challenging sequence near the beginning featuring martial arts combat in the rain, guaranteeing that the bitrate of the encoding would be the max.
I'd be interesting in doing something like that one day.
Quote:
Your Netflix graph indicates a bitrate of 6193.22 Kbps for that 10 minutes, close enough to the 5992 Kbps of Netflix 5800 Kbps 1080p video + 192 Kbps DD+ sound. (Divided by that bitrate it would be 10 minutes 20 seconds). The 4292.56 Kbps bitrate that you got for Amazon is interesting; was it for the same 10 minutes of The French Connection?
I started at the beginning of the film for both but the graphs aren't perfectly aligned, since I wasn't being super exact and got distracted. My router's firmware (Tomato) isn't the best for doing this, since I can only view the last ten minutes recorded while the page is open. :\

Here's the graph for when I got 1080p earlier today on Amazon.

Last edited by ninj4Naoto; 01-14-2015 at 01:39 PM.
post #1509 of 1529 Old 01-14-2015, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked: 192
I chose VUDU over Amazon to watch episodes of Danny Boyle's "Babylon" which debuted on Sundance (which as a cable cutter I don't have). Amazon had the pilot at $2.99 and episode 1 at $2.99. VUDU the pilot was 99 cents and episode 1 $2.99 in HDX. Funny thing was that VUDU sells the season for $19.99 but there are only 6 episodes and the one 78 minute pilot. Seems VUDU's math is off.

Great show BTW.
post #1510 of 1529 Old 01-14-2015, 02:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I started at the beginning of the film for both but the graphs aren't perfectly aligned, since I wasn't being super exact and got distracted. My router's firmware (Tomato) isn't the best for doing this, since I can only view the last ten minutes recorded while the page is open. :\

I used Tomato as well, on a venerable old Linksys WRT54G. I switched to a new ASUS Wireless N router on which I could install a Tomato variant but haven't done so a year and a half later . IMO 10 minutes is just fine for this purpose. I would start at the beginning and run for 14 minutes, getting a graph of minutes 5-14, leaving out the initial buffer filling phase and the abnormal peaks therein.

Quote:
Here's the graph for when I got 1080p earlier today on Amazon.

There you go--10.75 Mbps, close enough to the 10 Mbps Amazon 1080p is reported to be. I wish I had Tomato on my router now; I'd love to see what the bitrate of Amazon's 4K video is. Of course I could only stream it on my TV's smart app and with the TV being my computer monitor it could be difficult to get the graph. I could probably see the graph and numbers in realtime in a browser on my tablet but I don't know whether I could get a screenshot of that.

post #1511 of 1529 Old 01-14-2015, 08:28 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Which devices? Besides Amazon's, obviously.

I've been using my FireTV/sticks and my TiVo Roamios/Minis lately for Amazon and Netflix.(and Vudu on the TiVos)

LED DLP
post #1512 of 1529 Old 01-18-2015, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Amazon has "The Man in the High Castle" available for free but it was supposedly available even to me as Instant. It started playing the GEICO ad on this linux box then a some error dialog regarding licensing came but when dismissed the ad continued. I don't have Prime but it looks like they are trying to trick people into signing up for the 1 month free trial. I put the pilot in my Watchlist because if I was going to watch it I wanted it on my TV. Comes up listed as Prime but there was a sub listing on the Instant Video as just an Instant but that might just be the first 4 minutes. Anyone able to watch the pilot on just Instant?

Prime has not performed as expected for Amazon. I don't think they understand that the sign-up fee might be a little out of the majority's budget.
post #1513 of 1529 Old 01-18-2015, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
Prime has not performed as expected for Amazon. I don't think they understand that the sign-up fee might be a little out of the majority's budget.
As a long time Amazon investor I try to keep up. Some estimates have as many as 50 million Prime members and they tend to spend about twice as much. It seems just a few years ago the estimate was 10 million so those numbers sound quite impressive but maybe you can back up your claim.

http://www.fool.com/investing/genera...ors-shoul.aspx
post #1514 of 1529 Old 01-18-2015, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Amazon has "The Man in the High Castle" available for free but it was supposedly available even to me as Instant. It started playing the GEICO ad on this linux box then a some error dialog regarding licensing came but when dismissed the ad continued. I don't have Prime but it looks like they are trying to trick people into signing up for the 1 month free trial. I put the pilot in my Watchlist because if I was going to watch it I wanted it on my TV. Comes up listed as Prime but there was a sub listing on the Instant Video as just an Instant but that might just be the first 4 minutes. Anyone able to watch the pilot on just Instant?
All pilot episodes are free to watch for everyone, you need not be a subscriber to Amazon Prime to see them.

Quote:
Amazon Prime has done well with it's main business as an internet retailer. The Prime Instant service is simply an add on. Part of the service as a whole, not something you subscribe to own it's own. The company avoids releasing the number of subscribers it has, but here is the latest article I could find detailing their total sub's, US and global.
Those figures do not break out just how many of it's members avail themselves of the Prime Instant streaming. It currently is ranked as the third most watched, after Netflix and Hulu. Hulu has a reported 6 million paid subscribers. So if Amazon Prime Instant is 3rd to them, that suggests that less than 5 mil of their members are using Prime Instant.
And thefe's this bit from Variety
Quote:
Netflix customers reported watching an average of 7.7 hours of content per week — 1.9 times the nearest competitor, Hulu Plus, which came in at 4.1 hours. On a weekly basis, Amazon Prime Instant Video users reported viewing 3.5 hours, versus HBO Go with 3 hours and Showtime Anytime with 2.7 hours, the survey found

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #1515 of 1529 Old 01-18-2015, 10:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

As Westley-C points out, Prime Instant Video is not the point of Prime subscription, but an inducement to subscribe. Other inducements include Prime Music and the Kindle Owner's Lending Library. They hope that if you become an Amazon Prime member the no-additional-charge 2 day shipping will get you to buy lots and lots of physical merchandise from them. I was a Prime sub long before it was anything other than the shipping and I'd still be a Prime sub without any of the rest, even with the rate hike.

They've always stated that PIV is not there to compete with Netflix and if it were I'd expect them to sell it separately from yearly Prime shipping-oriented membership at a monthly fee.

post #1516 of 1529 Old 01-19-2015, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

And now, they are venturing into the world of feature film production with plans for a 12 picture slate of movies, that will come to PIV 4-8 weeks after their theatrical release.

The company's overall performance has to be good in order to justify the expense and investment in movies to help feed their ecosystem.

They're not com-tastic!
post #1517 of 1529 Old 01-19-2015, 12:52 PM
AVS Club Gold

Yes prime is for the shipping. Everything else is gravy. But if I didn't use the Prime two day shipping on a regualr basis, I would not be a member of Amazon Prime. But I do use the Prime streamig and Amazon music strictly because there is no additional cost to me. As well as the cloud storage for photos and music.

LED DLP
post #1518 of 1529 Old 01-19-2015, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post
As a long time Amazon investor I try to keep up. Some estimates have as many as 50 million Prime members and they tend to spend about twice as much. It seems just a few years ago the estimate was 10 million so those numbers sound quite impressive but maybe you can back up your claim.

http://www.fool.com/investing/genera...ors-shoul.aspx
We discussed the Q2 slide somewhere on this board (maybe this thread):
http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2...ults/13107009/

If you read enough on this board you'll find that a lot of people will sign up for a 1 month free trial (like for Prime) and then cancel at the end of the trial. Plus we haven't heard how "good" (or "bad") Cyber Monday was and judging from the spam I got extending it probably not very good. People don't have much expendable income anymore.

And yes thanks to Westly-C I watched the pilot. It was good but not enough to pay $99 for the remaining episodes. I don't order that much from Amazon anyway but do sell apps there.
post #1519 of 1529 Old 01-19-2015, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

You and a few posters on this board are statistically insignificant when I give you numbers that are in the millions.

And trials are about the Prime members that are retained and the account numbers of those that are not but are still customers. This is Business 101.

Last edited by Gary J; 01-19-2015 at 01:30 PM.
post #1520 of 1529 Old 01-21-2015, 11:12 PM

Haven't used Instant Video too much lately. Tried testing it out again, played 20 minutes or so of Labor Day.

1080p, great! Time to finally watch an episode of Transparent in 1080p.

Got 720p the whole time. :| I hate this service.
post #1521 of 1529 Old 01-22-2015, 06:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
As Westley-C points out, Prime Instant Video is not the point of Prime subscription, but an inducement to subscribe. Other inducements include Prime Music and the Kindle Owner's Lending Library. They hope that if you become an Amazon Prime member the no-additional-charge 2 day shipping will get you to buy lots and lots of physical merchandise from them. I was a Prime sub long before it was anything other than the shipping and I'd still be a Prime sub without any of the rest, even with the rate hike.

They've always stated that PIV is not there to compete with Netflix and if it were I'd expect them to sell it separately from yearly Prime shipping-oriented membership at a monthly fee.
It works well too. When I want to buy something I always check Amazon 1st. Love the fast and free shipping, sometimes I get it the next day, and they deliver on Sundays. If they were sold separately I would keep the shipping but probably not the streaming service. I have Netflix, Hulu, and Acorn as well.
post #1522 of 1529 Old 01-22-2015, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Watched an episode of the Wire in HD last night on the XBOX 1. Looked good. SEemed to compare well to the HBO GO quality.
post #1523 of 1529 Old 01-22-2015, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Saturday Jan 24, an Amazon subscription will be on sale-$72 dollars all day. Plus, non subscribers will be able to watch Transparent, the entire series for free.

They're not com-tastic!
post #1524 of 1529 Old 01-22-2015, 03:35 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westly-C View Post
Saturday Jan 24, an Amazon subscription will be on sale-$72 dollars all day. Plus, non subscribers will be able to watch Transparent, the entire series for free.
But only on sale for new subscribers.

LED DLP
post #1525 of 1529 Unread Yesterday, 11:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Possible loophole for existing members to take advantage of.

Investigate to see if you can get the offer this way.

They're not com-tastic!
post #1526 of 1529 Unread Yesterday, 11:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked: 1152
I've watched the pilots for Mad Dogs and Cocked both. I liked them both, especially more than I expected for Cocked. The first one's about a bunch of guys facing middle age and getting invited to Costa Rica to help one of their old gang's new found riches (and problems!). Cocked is about a gun selling family and some issues with the competition, owned by the evil uncle and his nephew, trying to bring down the older family firm. I'll be watching for more of these. This non-network stuff for adults works for me. Waiting to see Man in the High Castle next.

"I realize that somebody playing free music isn't as commercial as a hamburger stand. But is it because you can eat a hamburger and hold it in your hand and you can't do that with music? Is it too free to control?" - Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) discussing commercial success in the music biz

post #1527 of 1529 Unread Today, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

if you're looking to get Amazon Prime for $72 ($27 off the regular price, good for new or existing customers who send it to themselves as a "gift" today only) and/or watch Transparent for free, you can do that right now too.
post #1528 of 1529 Unread Today, 10:05 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
But only on sale for new subscribers.
No.i cancelled my current one (left few weeks) and sent amazon prime to myself (same mail) as a gift.then activated in next 10 mins.
post #1529 of 1529 Unread Today, 03:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinsert View Post
No.i cancelled my current one (left few weeks) and sent amazon prime to myself (same mail) as a gift.then activated in next 10 mins.

I did this too, but just canceled the re-up of my membership which would have happened on the 2nd; why shouldn't I take the 9 days of membership that I already paid for (particularly since the cancellation options stress that there's no advantage to immediate cancellation)?

I'd resubscribed last year before the price increase, so instead of paying $20 more this year I've paid $8 less. Thanks, Amazon !

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page