Amazon Prime Instant Video - Page 53 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 27Likes
post #1561 of 1584 Old 03-12-2015, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
I thought Amazon was limited to 720p on Roku devices?
Perhaps a recent change on how Roku devices handle Amazon Prime, not sure.

I discussed this issue with others in another thread.

HBO GO Dolby 5.1

I've also noticed that Amazon Prime is also taking an active role in proving more DD+ titles.

I was comparing the older catalog title Explorers (1985) on Amazon Prime and Netflix.

It's a soft looking encode, likely sourced from an old master for the DVD version since it's never been released on Blu-ray, but the sound was 5.1 DD+ on Amazon Prime while it was stereo on Netflix. The version on VUDU is also DD stereo.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

Last edited by Mr.G; 03-14-2015 at 07:31 AM. Reason: Added VUDU version.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1562 of 1584 Old 03-12-2015, 03:50 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 797 Post(s)
Liked: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
I was curious about Fire TV and I figured it was worth $20 just to see what it was like (and I didn't own any other HDMI streaming sticks). As it turns out it's been fairly handy. I share a home with people who don't have a streaming device and I've been taking it down to the living room to watch movies with them on the 60" Sony on the wall in there. Since it will run on power from the Sony's USB port it's more easily portable than anything else that I own.

Tonight I discovered that it implements HDMI CEC so I don't even have to bring its remote down .
Yeah, I probably should have just gotten it, would have made a nice gift if nothing else.
post #1563 of 1584 Old 03-12-2015, 04:01 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
Perhaps a recent change on how Roku devices handle Amazon Prime, not sure.

I discussed this issue with others in another thread.

HBO GO Dolby 5.1

I've also noticed that Amazon Prime is also taking an active role in proving more DD+ titles.

I was comparing the older catalog title Explorers (1985) on Amazon Prime and Netflix.

It's a soft looking encode, likely sourced from an upconverted DVD since it's never been released on Blu-ray, but the sound was 5.1 DD+ on Amazon Prime while it was stereo on Netflix.
I'm not sure that looking at network traffic buffering levels is a good indicator of the content's resolution. That link to the Wikipedia page just says that "depending on the device" Amazon does have and/or will have 1080p encodes. Since the Roku does not have a Native output setting it's hard to know what it's sending. Have you checked the Roku forums? If Amazon is now streaming at 1080p on Roku devices I would think that there'd be some noise about over there. Hopefully it's true, but without definitive proof I would not be choosing a Roku as my primary Amazon player.
post #1564 of 1584 Old 03-13-2015, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
I'm not sure that looking at network traffic buffering levels is a good indicator of the content's resolution. That link to the Wikipedia page just says that "depending on the device" Amazon does have and/or will have 1080p encodes. Since the Roku does not have a Native output setting it's hard to know what it's sending. Have you checked the Roku forums? If Amazon is now streaming at 1080p on Roku devices I would think that there'd be some noise about over there. Hopefully it's true, but without definitive proof I would not be choosing a Roku as my primary Amazon player.
If the Roku devices have no way of displaying resolution why would anyone in the Roku forums have any better idea?

Checking download speeds with router software has always been a reliable indicator of HD resolution going back to input on other threads like Netflix and VUDU streaming.

For VUDU HDX you need a reliable 9 Mbps or better, the router capture screen for Amazon Prime showed the 10 minute average download speed as 10 Mbps for the movie - Joe (2014). Whether all movies on Amazon Prime are 1080p is another question, perhaps at this point it's only the newer releases.

On my projection system with a 120" screen it certainly looks like 1080p HD but I understand your reluctance to believe it is.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #1565 of 1584 Old 03-13-2015, 09:12 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
If the Roku devices have no way of displaying resolution why would anyone in the Roku forums have any better idea?

The moderators are Roku employees and engineers. Users are able to send them pm's (private messages) with questions and comments. They always reply.

I regularly communicate with several of them.

Rob

_

"Life is tough.... It's even tougher if your stupid". > John Wayne <

"Expert: A former drip under pressure". > My Highschool Physics Teacher <

"I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but [ticking] everyone off is a piece of cake". > Unknown Author <
post #1566 of 1584 Old 03-13-2015, 03:50 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Checking download speeds with router software has always been a reliable indicator of HD resolution going back to input on other threads like Netflix and VUDU streaming.

For VUDU HDX you need a reliable 9 Mbps or better, the router capture screen for Amazon Prime showed the 10 minute average download speed as 10 Mbps for the movie - Joe (2014). Whether all movies on Amazon Prime are 1080p is another question, perhaps at this point it's only the newer releases.

On my projection system with a 120" screen it certainly looks like 1080p HD but I understand your reluctance to believe it is.
You could be 100% correct, it just seems as if that would be something that Roku would want to make an announcement about after having been stuck at 720p for so long. My guess is that it would have required an update to the Amazon app on the Roku, has that happened recently? I confess that I have not checked Amazon on my Roku devices lately, but the last time I did(couple of weeks ago) it did not look as clean and sharp as it does from my TiVo, which is verified to output 1080p/24Hz.

At the end of the day if it looks good that's all that really matters anyway.
post #1567 of 1584 Old 03-13-2015, 05:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1578 Post(s)
Liked: 944
Quote:

If you measured a 10 minute of 10 Mbps for a title then I'm confident that you were getting a 1080p stream. Amazon 720p used to average around 3 Mbps and from everything I've heard their 1080p is 10 Mbps.

It'd be nice if they'd just mount some version of the common Amazon Instant Video UI on Roku. To see what resolution you're getting you just press DOWN on the remote and it displays it, like this.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #1568 of 1584 Old 03-13-2015, 05:31 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
If you measured a 10 minute of 10 Mbps for a title then I'm confident that you were getting a 1080p stream. Amazon 720p used to average around 3 Mbps and from everything I've heard their 1080p is 10 Mbps.

It'd be nice if they'd just mount some version of the common Amazon Instant Video UI on Roku. To see what resolution you're getting you just press DOWN on the remote and it displays it, like this.
Yes, that would be nice.
post #1569 of 1584 Old 03-13-2015, 05:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

That common AIV UI is on my TiVo Roamio and Premiere, my smart TV's app, my PS3 and even my venerable old Panasonic DMP-BDT220 BD player (shockingly added when the product was nearly 2 years old). The top levels of the UI are on Xbox One and Xbox 360 but playback is different on them.

post #1570 of 1584 Old 03-13-2015, 05:57 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
That common AIV UI is on my TiVo Roamio and Premiere, my smart TV's app, my PS3 and even my venerable old Panasonic DMP-BDT220 BD player (shockingly added when the product was nearly 2 years old). The top levels of the UI are on Xbox One and Xbox 360 but playback is different on them.
Yeah, my guess at an Amazon resolution increase and UI update is that it would have come with the release of a new device as the Roku must be around 3 years old now? They may be waiting until 4K streaming is sorted out(hardware-wise). Looks like the 1080p is already here though, now we need to UI. Like you, the Roamio is the go-to device for those services, can't beat the 1080p/24Hz output of that device!
post #1571 of 1584 Old 03-13-2015, 06:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
...the Roku must be around 3 years old now?

Roku 3 just turned 2 this month; the first Roku STB will be 7 in May. It will be 2 years since a new product in September.

Quote:
Like you, the Roamio is the go-to device for those services, can't beat the 1080p/24Hz output of that device!

I heartily agree .
Keenan likes this.

post #1572 of 1584 Old 03-15-2015, 12:46 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
From the Amazon Prime Video website:

Ultra High Definition
Ultra High Definition (UHD) offers a "4K" picture resolution that is four times greater than HD. At this time, Ultra HD playback is supported on the following Amazon Instant Video compatible devices:

Samsung Ultra HD TVs (2014 or later models)
Sony Ultra HD TVs (2014 or later models)
LG Ultra HD TVs (2014 or later models)
Vizio Ultra HD TVs (2014 or later models)
You need a high-speed Internet connection of at least 15 Mbps to watch videos in UHD. You may also need to upgrade the firmware for your compatible Ultra HD TV to the latest version. You'll know you have the latest version if you see an Ultra HD icon on the Amazon Instant Video Home screen. For more information, go to About Updating Your Device Firmware.

Tip: If you're using a Samsung Ultra HD TV, you might also need to update the Amazon Instant Video widget on your device to access UHD content. A blue "arrow" displays on the Amazon Instant Video icon if an update for the widget is available. To update, select the Amazon Instant Video icon, press and hold OK, and then select Update Apps.
To browse movies and TV shows available in UHD, select the Watch Ultra HD category on the Amazon Instant Video Home screen. Titles offered in Ultra HD feature a "UHD" or "Ultra HD" label and purchase options in the video details.
Note: We’re continuing to expand our selection of Ultra HD movies and TV shows, but not all Amazon Instant Video titles are currently available in this format. We're constantly working to establish and improve our agreements with content owners so we can offer more titles in UHD.
post #1573 of 1584 Old 03-16-2015, 01:10 PM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I wonder if Amazon will tier the prices for UHD content like they do with SD and HD. I'd like to hope that my Amazon version of Raiders can be viewed in 4K/UHD without me paying for it again.
post #1574 of 1584 Old 03-16-2015, 02:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by calculon68 View Post
I'd like to hope that my Amazon version of Raiders can be viewed in 4K/UHD without me paying for it again.

If they actually make a 4K encode of it at streamable bit rates. They don't even have everything available in 1080p yet. So far you can't rent any of their non-Prime UHD titles, but all of the ones that are Prime can be streamed in UHD without extra charge.

post #1575 of 1584 Old 03-16-2015, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 394
After a week, I can accurately say I get HD most of the time on my Fire TV, but NEVER on my 2014 Sony player.

65" VT50 / Oppo 103D
Denon 4520CI / Emotiva XPA-3
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
post #1576 of 1584 Old 03-18-2015, 10:36 AM
AVS Club Gold

TiVo Series 3 to lose Amazon Instant, from Zatz Not Funny!

TiVo Series 3 To Lose Amazon Instant
post #1577 of 1584 Old 03-18-2015, 11:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I wonder if they're going to stop supporting downloads altogether, or just downloads in an encoding that the Series3 is capable of playing?

post #1578 of 1584 Old 03-18-2015, 11:27 AM

I'd always assumed the D/Ls were the same regardless of TiVo model. I can't see the difference between Amazon d/ls between the Roamio and the TiVoHD.
post #1579 of 1584 Old 03-18-2015, 11:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

It's possible that they're dropping the format that they were using for DLs to Series 3 TiVo (some version of Windows Media Video) and moving to support only downloads in H.264, which Roamio and Premiere can handle but not Series 3. Perhaps not enough people are buying/renting titles in that format at this point to justify making and storing that encode. Or whatever--we may never know the true reason. I haven't used my Series3 (the original, with lifetime service) in 2 or 3 years; I should have sold it.

post #1580 of 1584 Old 03-18-2015, 02:18 PM

Yeah, I shoulda sold my S3 too, I kept expecting the HDD to drop dead. But it's still soldiers on- eight years running.

According to the discussion on Zatz Not Funny, Amazon's ending the D/L support for Windows desktop too. (I haven't used that once) So it's probably a safe bet that Instant Video Downloads will eventually go away regardless of platform.

What will I fill the Roamio with now?
post #1581 of 1584 Old 03-18-2015, 03:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I'm sure that the rights holders would prefer that they didn't support downloads, whose DRM can potentially be broken. Dropping it might make their content licensing negotiations easier.

post #1582 of 1584 Old 03-19-2015, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 412 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Quote:
I'm sure that the rights holders would prefer that they didn't support downloads, whose DRM can potentially be broken. Dropping it might make their content licensing negotiations easier.
There were some DRM methods that omitted part of the file and when played just went out and got those few small segments. Seemed to work fairly well.

Then we have the encryption on QAM. I don't think that's ever been broken either but I could transfer an encrypted show from my D-VHS player to a computer via Firewire but you couldn't play it back unless you knew how to decrypt each packet. To my knowledge that was never solved.
post #1583 of 1584 Old 03-24-2015, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 113
http://www.engadget.com/2015/03/24/a...-hotel-update/

Is the Time Warner Cable app on Fire TV? If so and it will work anywhere with this update that would be huge.
post #1584 of 1584 Unread Today, 10:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Zero Theorem finally available for streaming.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page