Amazon Prime Instant Video - Page 57 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 57Likes

post #1681 of 1710 Old 08-27-2015, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post
Plasma uses excessive amounts of electricity.
The amount in savings from a comparable LCD doesn't concern me. http://www.cnet.com/news/what-you-ne...r-consumption/

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlb View Post
Resolution may be the least important specification in PQ; but are you ready to give up your HD set for even the best SD display ever made?
The differences between HD resolutions are far more subtle. Even an entry level HD TV will look better then most of the best SD displays when watching HD content. In the digital world of TV higher contrast is paramount when it comes to over all picture quality. Obviously, that is what HDR is trying to achieve.

Quote:
By the end of the year, 4K players will be providing HDR in the home. Fox, and I'm sure other content providers, are going to release their new/current movies (as well as their more popular archived films) on 4K disks. This will be another case of an increased resolution component bringing other significant PQ factors along for the ride.
Unfortunately, BD's are still not as popular as DVD, and all replicated formats continue to lose their market share to streaming. I don't believe the production of UHD players will have much impact on consumer marketing.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

Last edited by mailiang; 08-27-2015 at 03:19 PM. Reason: Typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1682 of 1710 Old 08-27-2015, 09:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked: 858
Here is a link to an HDR primer that I learned a lot from. Assuming there are posters nearly as ignorant about the technology as I was, I decided to post the link.
calculon68 likes this.
post #1683 of 1710 Old 08-27-2015, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked: 297
And a lot of people a couple years back probably bought a new TV. HDR seems like a frivolous expense and obviously a come-on to boost any sagging sales because people already have a decent 1080p set.
post #1684 of 1710 Old 08-27-2015, 11:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1860 Post(s)
Liked: 1042
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
...obviously a come-on to boost any sagging sales because people already have a decent 1080p set.
So is every new feature on every device. Once everyone has what you're selling you have to do something to get them to buy new ones . I think that HDR, however much of a PQ improvement it brings, is too hard to explain to ever become an inducement to buy a new TV for anybody who doesn't read tech blogs and AV equipment magazines. It will become something that people get on any new TV that they buy but they won't buy the new TV because of it.

I doubt that UHD disc will ever become much more than an expensive A/V-ophile niche product, unless manufacturers push it like they've been pushing 4K TVs.
aaronwt likes this.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #1685 of 1710 Old 08-27-2015, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Here is a good comparison from S&V that I posted on another thread. A top notch HDR/UHD TV verses a top notch PDP. hdr hype, so tired of it
Although HDR currently offers the best solution in terms of improving LCD picture quality, I doubt many of even the most discerning videophiles are suddenly going to run out and purchase an HDR set to replace their current reference display.

Ian

post #1686 of 1710 Old 08-27-2015, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
So is every new feature on every device. Once everyone has what you're selling you have to do something to get them to buy new ones . I think that HDR, however much of a PQ improvement it brings, is too hard to explain to ever become an inducement to buy a new TV for anybody who doesn't read tech blogs and AV equipment magazines. It will become something that people get on any new TV that they buy but they won't buy the new TV because of it.

I doubt that UHD disc will ever become much more than an expensive A/V-ophile niche product, unless manufacturers push it like they've been pushing 4K TVs.
Yeah, what you have is the husband eying the UHD set for bragging rights and the wife asking why when she wants a new dishwasher instead.

Most won't be able to see a noticeable different in PQ. That would require enhanced demos that won't be seen once they get it home.

What will happen is economically it will become cheaper to just produce 4K panels and all future sets will be 4K at 1080 prices. That will probably happen in about 2 years and 1080 sets will be blown out with discount sales.

That's the way the industry works.
rlb likes this.
post #1687 of 1710 Old 08-27-2015, 12:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
What will happen is economically it will become cheaper to just produce 4K panels and all future sets will be 4K at 1080 prices. That will probably happen in about 2 years and 1080 sets will be blown out with discount sales.

That's what I mean by "pushing" it. I bought a Vizio 4K TV last year (more because I was interested in FALD than 4K res). It was new their top model line "P-Series"; this year their middle-of-the-road model line M-Series is 4K; their only 1080p products are their budget E-Series models. If you want any of the best features offered by a manufacturer, 4K will come with it.

Nobody asked for 4K res and I only rarely see something for which the increased resolution is impressive (and I sit 6-8 feet from a 60" screen).

post #1688 of 1710 Old 08-27-2015, 01:23 PM
rlb
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1055 Post(s)
Liked: 684
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post

Unfortunately, BD's are still not as popular as DVD, and all replicated formats continue to lose their market share to streaming. I don't believe the production of UHD players will have much impact on consumer marketing.

Ian
Direct TV recently launched two satellites to support 4k programming. They are starting to make programming available and have introduced the first piece of hardware (client to their Genie) that supports 4k; although the Samsung 4K RVU hookup does it organically.

If that starts to draw customers, the others won't be far behind. Plus, both Netflix and Amazon have said their original programming will be 4k; and MGO already has around 8-10 UHD/HDR films available for download.

I'm in my seventies, and even I can see it coming. Some of you are just inflexible before your time.

Samsung 65JS9500 and 65F9000 w/SEK-2500U
Denon 4520ci & Outlaw 755
Infinity Reference Standard Kappa 8's, Reference 2000's, and Model cc-3
OPPO 103-D, PS3, and HR44
post #1689 of 1710 Old 08-27-2015, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:

I'm in my seventies, and even I can see it coming. Some of you are just inflexible before your time.
AKA justifying in their own minds not spending the money.
post #1690 of 1710 Old 08-27-2015, 02:08 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 13
My parents are in the market for a new tv 55 inches or greater and I've been explaining to them about the arrival of 4K content and other aspects of the picture that will be improved within the next couple years. Despite having a lot of disposable income they seem to care less and told me just to recommend the best 1080p tv since they only want it for watching cable. My point is a lot of "regular" people only care about tv size and that it is a decent brand.
post #1691 of 1710 Old 08-27-2015, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Direct TV recently launched two satellites to support 4k programming. They are starting to make programming available and have introduced the first piece of hardware (client to their Genie) that supports 4k; although the Samsung 4K RVU hookup does it organically.

If that starts to draw customers, the others won't be far behind. Plus, both Netflix and Amazon have said their original programming will be 4k; and MGO already has around 8-10 UHD/HDR films available for download.

I have DTV and that was my point. UHD players will likely take a back seat to UHD broadcasts and streaming despite the fact that they will offer the best quality.

Wow, I didn't realize what I was getting into when I started the conversation about Netflix 4k.

Ian
rlb likes this.

Last edited by mailiang; 08-27-2015 at 03:26 PM.
post #1692 of 1710 Old 08-27-2015, 03:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I'm not inflexible, just playing amatuer market analyst . I'll be one of the first in line for a UHD disc player but I don't think that it'll ever be more than an A/V-ophile niche product unless, like 4K displays, the manufacturers subtly force it on us by quickly getting the price down and only supporting other formats in low end products. I don't think that they can create much real market demand.
rlb likes this.

post #1693 of 1710 Old 08-27-2015, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I'm not inflexible, just playing amatuer market analyst . I'll be one of the first in line for a UHD disc player but I don't think that it'll ever be more than an A/V-ophile niche product unless, like 4K displays, the manufacturers subtly force it on us by quickly getting the price down and only supporting other formats in low end products. I don't think that they can create much real market demand.
Like any other video enhancement, UHD and HDR will eventually filter down to affordable TV's.

Ian

post #1694 of 1710 Old 08-28-2015, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

The local multiplex is about a 1/2 mile from me. I use their screens for comparison and have for years because they were an early adopter of ditigal projection. They started out with two auditoriums out of 8 with Christie digital projectors and in a year or two all auditoriums. It seemed a little strange to me when San Francisco and even San Jose had only a theater or to with one digital projector. But it turned out the theater is also a consulting company for theater owner contemplating digital.

Of course back then the Christies were doing 2K. I haven't been there recently to see if they've been upgraded to 4K. But picture on my $500 55" compares very favorably with their 2K projection. As for sound, well they did have a problem with a center speaker in one auditorium which I complained about and it didn't get fixed for a long time. I found a candid employee who told me the owner didn't want to the spend the money to replace it.
post #1695 of 1710 Old 09-01-2015, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 59
So I was excited today about the announcement re downloading some Amazon Prime titles for offline viewing, but I cannot seem to find this mythical download button anywhere on my Galaxy S6, using the most recent version of Amazon Underground. I've tried Star Trek Into Darkness, Transparent, and Mozart in the Jungle, all listed titles.

Anyone succeeded in this so far or otherwise have an idea?
post #1696 of 1710 Old 09-01-2015, 11:26 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1953 Post(s)
Liked: 1095
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitearrow View Post
So I was excited today about the announcement re downloading some Amazon Prime titles for offline viewing, but I cannot seem to find this mythical download button anywhere on my Galaxy S6, using the most recent version of Amazon Underground. I've tried Star Trek Into Darkness, Transparent, and Mozart in the Jungle, all listed titles.

I see I can download my purchased content(paid and free). But the few prime titles I looked at didn't have a download button.

53TB unRAID2--38TB unRAID3--33TB unRAID1a
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #1697 of 1710 Old 09-01-2015, 11:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

I see it for movies, but not seeing it for shows so far. It also wants me to switch from 4G to Wifi to download.
post #1698 of 1710 Old 09-01-2015, 11:35 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenisG View Post
I see it for movies, but not seeing it for shows so far. It also wants me to switch from 4G to Wifi to download.

I see that now. i just tried Star Trek: Into Darkness and it says that because the file size is more than 50MB, that I need to download it over WiFi.WTH? I have unlimted cellular data. I should be the one to make the determination whether I want to download over WiFi or cellular.

LED DLP
post #1699 of 1710 Old 09-01-2015, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

You might have a different opinion if you had a kid download Airport 1 through 47. Good idea by Amazon.
post #1700 of 1710 Old 09-01-2015, 11:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I see that now. i just tried Star Trek: Into Darkness and it says that because the file size is more than 50MB, that I need to download it over WiFi.WTH? I have unlimted cellular data. I should be the one to make the determination whether I want to download over WiFi or cellular.
I'm still holding onto my unlimited data plan. If I want to use it then it should let me.
post #1701 of 1710 Old 09-01-2015, 11:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

The Amazon Instant Video app that I have on my Android tablet starts by transferring me to a page for amazon instant video in a web browser. If I choose one of them and click "Watch Now" it returns to the app to play the video. No options to download that I can find.

post #1702 of 1710 Old 09-01-2015, 01:21 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post
You might have a different opinion if you had a kid download Airport 1 through 47. Good idea by Amazon.
Wouldn't that be the parents responisbilty to restrict them? Some of the guys at work with smaller kids, their kids know not to do anything like that.

LED DLP
post #1703 of 1710 Old 09-01-2015, 01:23 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
The Amazon Instant Video app that I have on my Android tablet starts by transferring me to a page for amazon instant video in a web browser. If I choose one of them and click "Watch Now" it returns to the app to play the video. No options to download that I can find.
I just installed the amazon video app today on my phone from the Amazon app store app. i thought it was a new video app?

LED DLP
post #1704 of 1710 Old 09-01-2015, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Okay, after updating both video and the main app, I see the download button on ST Into Darkness. Same thing, can't download over my data plan.

Does anyone see an option for downloading TV episodes?

Last edited by Whitearrow; 09-01-2015 at 01:53 PM.
post #1705 of 1710 Old 09-01-2015, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Wouldn't that be the parents responisbilty to restrict them? Some of the guys at work with smaller kids, their kids know not to do anything like that.
Amazon is saving families from themselves. This is not hard to figure out. One off anecdotes not worth much.
post #1706 of 1710 Old 09-01-2015, 02:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked: 1141
Quote:
I think thats great. Keeps a few people who want to download movies at work from dragging everyone elses service down.
Download movies at home. Watch them at work.
post #1707 of 1710 Old 09-01-2015, 03:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Okay, after updating both video and the main app, I see the download button on ST Into Darkness.

Once I removed the app and reinstalled I got an app with a browser with download options for some Prime titles. I'm downloading Catching Fire to check out the best quality PQ.

post #1708 of 1710 Old 09-02-2015, 11:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Does anyone see an option for downloading TV episodes?
I can see a download episode button on my kindle fire hdx, but so far not on my samsung gs4 phone.
post #1709 of 1710 Old 09-02-2015, 11:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenisG View Post
I can see a download episode button on my kindle fire hdx, but so far not on my samsung gs4 phone.
In the Android app on my tablet I see download buttons next to every episode in the list for the TV series I've checked. (Once the episode is down the arrow changes into a trash can icon with which to remove it). Remember, download isn't available for every Prime title.

post #1710 of 1710 Old Today, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Updated the Amazon app on my iPad yesterday. It now shows the download option.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page