Amazon Prime Instant Video - Page 58 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 125Likes

Old 09-07-2015, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked: 535
Question

Since I'm new to Amazon streaming, can someone tell me why there are no frames shown when FF or RR a video?

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2015, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 176
That's just how their app was designed.

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
Old 09-07-2015, 08:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1314 Post(s)
Liked: 632
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post
Since I'm new to Amazon streaming, can someone tell me why there are no frames shown when FF or RR a video?

Ian
Depends on which device or app you are using. Can you please specify?
Old 09-07-2015, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
Depends on which device or app you are using. Can you please specify?
Shows frames on my Roku's, but not on my Panasonic S60 TV? Seriously? Only shows the time lapse with FF and RR, so you have no idea what frame you are on when you want to restart the video. Dumb Dumb Dumb. Not an issue with Netflix, which works the same as on my Roku's, but also offers resolution and audio info with the push of a button. Thank goodness for Netflix!

Ian

Last edited by mailiang; 09-07-2015 at 12:21 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 09-07-2015, 12:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 4169 Post(s)
Liked: 4052
Quote:
Shows frames on my Roku's, but not on my Panasonic S60 TV? Seriously? Only shows the time lapse with FF and RR, so you have no idea what frame you are on when you want to restart the video. Dumb Dumb Dumb. Not an issue with Netflix, which works the same as on my Roku's, but also offers resolution and audio info with the push of a button. Thanks goodness for Netflix!

Ian
I just use the clock when I don't have the frames to see as I usually have an idea of how far back I want to go anyways.
Old 09-07-2015, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post
I just use the clock when I don't have the frames to see as I usually have an idea of how far back I want to go anyways.
It's still guess work, and since they use frames on their other applications, it shouldn't be necessary.

Ian

Old 09-07-2015, 01:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 4169 Post(s)
Liked: 4052
Quote:
It's still guess work, and since they use frames on their other applications, it shouldn't be necessary.

Ian
True but not all apps are equal among devices for the same service unfortunately. Like some apps don't provide 5.1 audio....
Old 09-07-2015, 01:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1314 Post(s)
Liked: 632
Quote:

Ian
You're comparing apples and oranges to some extent. The app version in use on any device is determined in part by the processing power of the device itself, available on-board memory, etc. etc. But in general, to get the latest app you need to buy the latest hardware. Your TVs app is over 2 years old. Roku apps get updated regularly, apps for TVs almost never do.
If you really want to watch Amazon streaming just use your Roku.
Old 09-07-2015, 02:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2339 Post(s)
Liked: 1257
It appears that all of the devices that I own with that common Amazon Instant Video app UI (TiVo Roamio, Xbox One, Xbox 360 and the AIV app in this smart TV) have that same "no frames displayed" FF/REW (I suspect that my PS3 has the same app UI and works the same, but it hasn't been plugged in since I moved 7 months back). Amazon's Fire TV, which is all about AIV and has its own UI, displays a little inset in which frames go by while it continues to play the video.

It's not a matter of age of the app, it's just how it's apparently designed to work.

BTW, the apps in this 11-month-old TV are updated frequently.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
Old 09-07-2015, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
You're comparing apples and oranges to some extent. The app version in use on any device is determined in part by the processing power of the device itself, available on-board memory, etc. etc. But in general, to get the latest app you need to buy the latest hardware. Your TVs app is over 2 years old. Roku apps get updated regularly, apps for TVs almost never do.
If you really want to watch Amazon streaming just use your Roku.
My point is, that if Netflix can do it Amazon should. Since I haven't use Amazon in years, I have no idea how long that feature has been available on my Roku 2. Most of my streaming is done on Netflix and I rarely use that feature, but it would be nice to have. For now I'll stick with my TV, it's just more convenient then using my Roku which is mostly reserved for on demand sources not available on my set like Showtime Anytime, HBO Go and Fox. (We use the Roku stick in the bedroom.) Thanks for all the reply's.

Ian

Last edited by mailiang; 09-07-2015 at 03:06 PM.
Old 09-07-2015, 03:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
It appears that all of the devices that I own with that common Amazon Instant Video app UI (TiVo Roamio, Xbox One, Xbox 360 and the AIV app in this smart TV) have that same "no frames displayed" FF/REW (I suspect that my PS3 has the same app UI and works the same, but it hasn't been plugged in since I moved 7 months back). Amazon's Fire TV, which is all about AIV and has its own UI, displays a little inset in which frames go by while it continues to play the video.

It's not a matter of age of the app, it's just how it's apparently designed to work.
I have a Sony S1500 (2015) BD player, and the Netflix app on it is up to date and performs flawlessly. The Amazon app, however, is a disaster. It takes it nearly a full minute to so from sub-SD quality to HD, and it does this every time you skip back, FF, or rewind, so who really cares that it doesn't show the thumbs. It's unusable, and this is a widely reported problem. Netflix does all these things lickety-split and shows the thumbs.

I also have a Fire TV stick. The Amazon app performs flawlessly on it, with thumbs, just as good as Netflix on the Sony.

I actually called Amazon a few months to complain about their app on the Sony, and while they promised to get back to me, they never did. I think they purposely cripple it to encourage people to buy their hardware.
Old 09-07-2015, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Both my TV app and Roku ramp up to HD almost instantaneously on Amazon when playing a video. Netflix is a bit slower and I have Open Connect through Cablevision.

Ian

Old 09-07-2015, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
sawfish said
I have a Sony S1500 (2015) BD player, and the Netflix app on it is up to date and performs flawlessly. The Amazon app, however, is a disaster. It takes it nearly a full minute to so from sub-SD quality to HD, and it does this every time you skip back, FF, or rewind, so who really cares that it doesn't show the thumbs. It's unusable, and this is a widely reported problem. Netflix does all these things lickety-split and shows the thumbs.

I also have a Fire TV stick. The Amazon app performs flawlessly on it, with thumbs, just as good as Netflix on the Sony.

I actually called Amazon a few months to complain about their app on the Sony, and while they promised to get back to me, they never did. I think they purposely cripple it to encourage people to buy their hardware.
The Amazon app's behavior- regarding the display of ff/rr thumbnails on the Roku, and not on it's standard UI on other devices, pre-dated the launch of Amazon's hardware. Your BD player may not have the RAM or processesor power to nimbly handle Amazon's HD streams, which run at a higher bitrate than Netflix's.
Gary J likes this.

They're not com-tastic!

Last edited by Westly-C; 09-07-2015 at 03:25 PM.
Old 09-07-2015, 03:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Amazon's 1080p encodes are at 10 Mbps versus Netflix's 5.8 but their 720p encodes (also HD) are around 3 Mbps.

Old 09-07-2015, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Amazon's 1080p encodes are at 10 Mbps versus Netflix's 5.8 but their 720p encodes (also HD) are around 3 Mbps.
So Netflix should ramp up be faster! But not for me. Adaptive buffering Mike?

Bottom line, how many devices do you know use a FF and RW feature without the ability to see the video? Not offering it on selected Amazon apps, is just plain stupid!

Ian

Last edited by mailiang; 09-07-2015 at 03:41 PM.
Old 09-07-2015, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 728 Post(s)
Liked: 525
1/ streaming is Netflix's entire business; APV is a perk to make prime membership more enticing. 2/ amazon actually makes its own hardware, to which you can expect it to pay extra attention.
Old 09-07-2015, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Bottom line, how many devices do you know use a FF and RW feature without the ability to see the video? Not offering it on selected Amazon apps, is just plain stupid!

Ian
The Youtube app on the PS3 & my Smart Tv, also doesn't show scanning thumbs while ff/rr.

I haven't used YT on the Roku in a long while, but I'll assume it matchs the standard Roku design.

They're not com-tastic!
Old 09-07-2015, 06:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westly-C View Post
I haven't used YT on the Roku in a long while, but I'll assume it matchs the standard Roku design.

Bad assumption. YouTube on Roku (2XS and newer, I think) is the embedded leanback UI. Like Netflix's common UI, I believe that it's written in dynamically loaded web authoring languages running in a sort of "browser". Consequently it performs poorly on the slower models though reasonably well on Roku 3 and presumably the 2015 Roku 2. You can cast to it from the iOS and Android YouTube apps, a better option for those slower units than using the UI.

Old 09-07-2015, 08:34 PM
AVS Special Member

I have a Roku XD. Just checked it, and the YT app matches the one in your photo link. And the blind ff/rr is the same as on the smart tv & PS3. Thought the old thumbnail type scanning would be carried thru.

They're not com-tastic!
Old 09-08-2015, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Disney movies anywhere can now be linked to Amazon Instant Video, get free movie, Monsters Inc, for linking.
They finally let you link multi accounts.
http://slickdeals.net/f/8091798-disn...linked-account
Old 09-08-2015, 12:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenisG View Post
Disney movies anywhere can now be linked to Amazon Instant Video, get free movie, Monsters Inc, for linking.
They finally let you link multi accounts.
http://slickdeals.net/f/8091798-disn...linked-account

Cool--hopefully UltraViolet locker access will be next.

Old 09-08-2015, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Cool--hopefully UltraViolet locker access will be next.
One can only hope. :fingers crossed:
Old 09-20-2015, 11:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:

Ian
Really people are still seeing slow ramps to higher quality?

Fortunately our Apple TV starts at higher quality for Netflix and our Fire TV starts at higher quality for Amazon.
Old 09-21-2015, 12:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 95
My Fire TV takes 30 seconds to get to 1080p - but it starts out at a 720p that looks almost as good. I'm projecting a 1080p image with a diagonal size of 130.8" - it's upscaled very nicely by the projector during the first 30 seconds.

Old 09-21-2015, 12:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 947 Post(s)
Liked: 455
I have a few questions -

1. When browsing Prime videos, it used to show a HD overlay, I don't see that anymore? Is that gone or is there some setting I need to change?
2. When I am using Prime video, and I add a movie to my watchlist from my computer, it doesn't update on screen. I have to get the Fire tv stick to sleep, and next time I launch it will update. Is this expected?
3. Is there any way to 'cast' to the Fire Tv stick? Chromecast and Netflix will both let me do that, I really like starting a Netflix movie on the Fire stick from my phone and then controlling it via the remote. But can't do this for Prime.
Old 09-21-2015, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by undecided View Post
Really people are still seeing slow ramps to higher quality?

Fortunately our Apple TV starts at higher quality for Netflix and our Fire TV starts at higher quality for Amazon.
When staring a program, depending on the source, it takes anywhere from 10-30 seconds for my Panasonic smart app to reach 1080p with Netflix. However if I FF to any frame (I like to skip the opening credits on their original content) the red buffer line quickly goes all the way across and it starts at 1080p. With Amazon, it starts at HD, right after the checking video connection screens come up.

Ian

Old 09-21-2015, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defcon View Post
I have a few questions -

1. When browsing Prime videos, it used to show a HD overlay, I don't see that anymore? Is that gone or is there some setting I need to change?
2. When I am using Prime video, and I add a movie to my watchlist from my computer, it doesn't update on screen. I have to get the Fire tv stick to sleep, and next time I launch it will update. Is this expected?
3. Is there any way to 'cast' to the Fire Tv stick? Chromecast and Netflix will both let me do that, I really like starting a Netflix movie on the Fire stick from my phone and then controlling it via the remote. But can't do this for Prime.
I have a kindle fire HDX and you can switch what you are watching between the tablet and fire tv. Also while the movie or show is playing the tablet auto sees the fire tv and will do the x-ray if you like that. Of course that is just for the Amazon stuff. I haven't tried casting it with the other apps.
Old 09-22-2015, 08:30 AM

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
You're right, it doesn't update right away. Mine never syncs with what's been recently played on other devices. I wish the Fire TV had a "Recently Watched" section like the Roku does. That updates with whatever's been recently accessed.

Quote:
The Fire TV and Fire sticks do support Miracast (screen sharing or display mirroring) I've casted from both my Fire HDX tablet and Win 10 tablet, as well as my Windows Phone. But frankly, the experience is hit and miss, sometimes requiring resets of both devices before actual discovery and connecting is successful.

As far as Discovery and Launch (DIAL), where you "fling" content from a smartphone/tablet to your TV's FireTV Stick: it depends on the stick app. Both Netflix and YouTube Fire apps support DIAL too, you just need to pair the device to the app. But if you're constantly changing viewing devices, you're also constantly re-pairing and re-entering pairing codes.

As DenisG mentioned, it's pretty seamless on Amazon tablets, click the dropdown and select the device you want to play to. I can switch from Kitchen (tablet) to living room (FireTV) to Den (FireTV stick) during the same movie without repairing. This is the one area that Amazon excels- as long as you use Fire Tablets that is...
Old 09-22-2015, 01:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I've never had to pair my phones or tablets to any device to cast via DIAL; I've sometimes been surprised that something new has shown up on the list. If there's a DIAL server in range there will be a drop-down list in the app (Netflix and YouTube, the protocol's developers; I'm not sure if there are any others). I just tried it with YouTube on my phone and I see my Roku 3, Fire TV Stick, TiVo Roamio and the smart TV itself. The Amazon Instant Video app should be made a DIAL client.

Last edited by michaeltscott; 09-22-2015 at 01:18 PM.
Old 09-26-2015, 02:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I noticed yesterday that the Amazon Video app on my Panasonic 50ST50 plasma HDTV (from 2012) isn't showing all the box options on the home page for things like your watchlist, recent videos, etc. that area of the screen is blank with only the main options at the top of the screen. This happens on my Panasonic Blu-ray player (from 2011) exactly the same for its Amazon Video app.
However on my newer 2015 model Samsung 40J6300 LED TV (40" bedroom TV) the Amazon Video app shows all the box options on the home screen correctly and I can access my watchlist, etc.

This appears to be a recent bug in the Panasonic only Amazon video app?
No update is shown as available for it on the TV's Viera app market, only the existing one dated from 2011.
Anyone else see this amazon video app issue on Panasonic devices only a few years old?
In order to play or resume a video with it, I have to do a full search again to find the movie or TV show instead of easily selecting it from a watchlist or recently viewed videos list since those box options aren't showing on the Panasonic amazon video app home screen now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement