Amazon Prime Instant Video - Page 67 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 126Likes

post #1981 of 2002 Old 07-24-2016, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 555 Post(s)
Liked: 109
When I had 15mbps down I never got 1080p on the FTV. Only when they upgraded me for free to 55mbps now 60mbps down I was able to retrieve 1080p on Amazon.

EarthLink Extreme powered by Time Warner Cable Brooklyn.
Netgear R7000 - Advanced Tomato 3.3-138 K26ARM USB VPN-64K.
Toshiba 39L2300U - Fire TV (2nd Gen), PS4 (1st Gen), Roku Streaming Stick (3600R), TiVo Roamio OTA.
Cats are the best pets.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1982 of 2002 Old 07-24-2016, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1215 Post(s)
Liked: 574
One of the reasons I thought about getting an Amazon Fire TV device is that my data usage Android app would work on it and I can get the filesize and calculate the bitrate from it. Netflix has been delivering some shows at 1080p but at even lower bitrates but excellent quality. Development is always ahead of their tech blogs and way ahead of tech journalists. But I'm on a device that Netflix may be probing and will deliver h265 instead of h264 since it supports decoding via hardware (as most Android devices do). Amazon I've been watching on my BD player so no chance of running an app there.

Ramp ups of Hulu are much faster often under 10 seconds but they seem to just stay on a very low resolution feed while buffering up the HD feed. Netflix seems to want to use several levels I guess so the viewer won't tune out.

It's a dynamic industry with more changes to come.
post #1983 of 2002 Old 07-24-2016, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 755 Post(s)
Liked: 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddice View Post
When I had 15mbps down I never got 1080p on the FTV. Only when they upgraded me for free to 55mbps now 60mbps down I was able to retrieve 1080p on Amazon.
That's because you have Time Warner, who's under investigation by the NYAG for poor speeds.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #1984 of 2002 Old 08-11-2016, 10:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1534 Post(s)
Liked: 1612
According to Amazon's 4K Ultra TV Guide,
Quote:
How do I find HDR the content in the Amazon Video app?

You can only find HDR titles within the Amazon Video app on an HDR-compatible TV. Next steps include:

Open Amazon Video on your HDR-compatible TV

Scroll down until you find the carousels labeled "Included with Prime Ultra-HD TV" or "Ultra-HD Movies."

TV shows and Movies available in HDR can be identified by looking for the "HDR" or "Dolby Vision" badge on the detail page for a particular title. The badge can be found under the key art image within the title's detail page.
When I checked the guide, I only saw a couple of shows. one about British pubs and the other, which had to be rented or bought, that supposedly demonstrated 4K HDR. When I checked on Bosch, The Man in the High Castle, and a couple of other Amazon Originals, which Looked like they were in 4K, Amazon's info page doesn't mention either "4K" or "Ultra HD." What is going on here? I have heard that it was hard to identify 4K content on Amazon Prime but this is ridiculous.
post #1985 of 2002 Old 08-11-2016, 10:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2409 Post(s)
Liked: 1289
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
When I checked on Bosch, The Man in the High Castle, and a couple of other Amazon Originals, which Looked like they were in 4K, Amazon's info page doesn't mention either "4K" or "Ultra HD." What is going on here? I have heard that it was hard to identify 4K content on Amazon Prime but this is ridiculous.

Amazon's browser has two separate entries for titles with 4K video, one of them with "UHD" in bold white letters in the upper left hand corner of the poster thumb. If you're scrolling through, the title will have "[Ultra HD]" after it. And yes, it's stupid . (Playing from the 4K entry does set the TV to 4K res and keeps it there no matter what the current resolution being streamed is).

The browser in the app on my TV (this style, also on Fire TV, with only rows for video, no apps, music or pictures), the only one I have with 4K capability, has rows labelled "Included with Ultra HD Movies" and "Included with Ultra HD TV" (the labels are meant to say "Included with PRIME" but apparently they ran out of that logo ). You have to scroll way down the list to get to them (they're rows 32 and 34 ).

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #1986 of 2002 Old 08-11-2016, 11:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
Amazon's browser has two separate entries for titles with 4K video, one of them with "UHD" in bold white letters in the upper left hand corner of the poster thumb. If you're scrolling through, the title will have "[Ultra HD]" after it. And yes, it's stupid . (Playing from the 4K entry does set the TV to 4K res and keeps it there no matter what the current resolution being streamed is).

The browser in the app on my TV (this style, also on Fire TV, with only rows for video, no apps, music or pictures), the only one I have with 4K capability, has rows labelled "Included with Ultra HD Movies" and "Included with Ultra HD TV" (the labels are meant to say "Included with PRIME" but apparently they ran out of that logo ). You have to scroll way down the list to get to them (they're rows 32 and 34 ).
Mike -- Thanks for your advice. I should have pointed out that I am using the Amazon app built in to my Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV. for whatever reasons, none of the posters display "4K." UHD," or any variation thereof. Think I will call Amazon, hope for a miracle, and find somebody knowledgeable about this issue.
post #1987 of 2002 Old 08-11-2016, 11:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I called Amazon and asked why the Amazon app on my new Sony TV wasn't displaying 4K content but the guy I talked to was clueless. I am now 90 percent certain that the Amazon app on my state of the art TV isn't giving me either 4K or HDR. I learned earlier that the Amazon app on my also brand new TiVo Bolt doesn't support 4K either. Can anybody suggest what might wrong or whether I can get a device that contains an Amazon app the will deliver 4K HDR content to my 75XBR X940D 4K HDR TV?

Last edited by gwsat; 08-11-2016 at 11:54 AM.
post #1988 of 2002 Old 08-11-2016, 12:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Certainly the 2015 Fire TV has 4K Amazon video; I think that Roku 4 does as well. NVIDIA Shield TV probably does. I'm not sure if any of them support HDR.

TiVo Bolt should eventually get UHD Amazon video. I'm fairly certain that it won't support HDR.

Last edited by michaeltscott; 08-11-2016 at 12:40 PM.
post #1989 of 2002 Old 08-11-2016, 12:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Certainly the 2015 Fire TV has 4K Amazon video; I think that Roku 4 does as well. NVIDIA Shield TV probably does. I'm not sure if any of them support HDR.

TiVo Bolt should eventually get UHD Amazon video. I'm fairly certain that it won't support HDR.
Looks like the problem is solved. I asked what might be going on with the Amazon app in the Sony 75XBR X940D thread and got an explanation that solved the problem. Turns out that the Amazon app on the Sony requires you to drill a long way down in the list of categories to finally reach the Ultra HD programming available in Prime lineup. Once I got there, "UHD" was displayed on every poster. Still don't know how to confirm which 4K titles have HDR too, other than by trusting the accuracy of those listed in Amazon's 4K Ultra HD Guide. The last few lines on most info pages are cutoff and I have not yet figured out how to display them so don't know how many of them might say "HDR."
post #1990 of 2002 Old 08-11-2016, 01:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 4214 Post(s)
Liked: 3563
@gwsat there is a "Master List" thread that lists the UHD HDR discs and streaming available and is maintained by Ray. It's in the LCD "main" forum so you may be able to find it there since it gets a lot of traffic.

Sent from nowhere
post #1991 of 2002 Old 08-11-2016, 01:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
@gwsat there is a "Master List" thread that lists the UHD HDR discs and streaming available and is maintained by Ray. It's in the LCD "main" forum so you may be able to find it there since it gets a lot of traffic.
Thanks. Now that I have finally learned about the vagaries of 4K HDR programming on Amazon and Netflix too, I'm going to have plenty of it to watch for a while. I have already collected several 4K movies with my Kaleidescape Strato but none of them have HDR. Hope Kscape remedies that soon.
post #1992 of 2002 Old 08-11-2016, 01:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
Turns out that the Amazon app on the Sony requires you to drill a long way down in the list of categories to finally reach the Ultra HD programming available in Prime lineup.

I did mention that the Prime UHD categories were rows 32 and 34 in the UI on my television.

post #1993 of 2002 Old 08-11-2016, 03:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I did mention that the Prime UHD categories were rows 32 and 34 in the UI on my television.
Mike -- I recall that you did but for some reason, I just didn't comprehend it. I think it was because there are frequent delays in new rows loading and I mistakenly thought I had reached the last one before I reached the UHD entries. Anyway, sometimes I just need to be told things twice, I guess.
post #1994 of 2002 Old 08-23-2016, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked: 1930
Quote:
Amazon 1080p is encoded at 10 Mbps while Netflix uses 4300 and 5800 Mbps (or they used to--now they analyze the video and dynamically decide on an encoding bit rate ladder on a per-title basis). You need about 20% headroom to reliably keep ahead of a stream so you need to be able to sustain approximately 12 Mbps for an Amazon 1080p stream.

Just because your network service is nominally a given speed doesn't mean that you'll get that speed from any arbitrary server on the Internet.
I was coming here to find this out, thanks. When I was on 6mbps DSL I could hardly ever get HD, now on 100mbps cable I get 1080p HD after a few seconds, while it seems to ramp up slower than Netflix does to their 2160p.

Also had a friend with 25 down (IIRC) uverse and he had trouble getting 1080p HD but not HD. One he went to 50 down service, he gets 1080p HD from Amazon.

To my eyes, when it goes from HD to 1080p HD, it def looks better.
post #1995 of 2002 Old 08-23-2016, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 755 Post(s)
Liked: 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post
I was coming here to find this out, thanks. When I was on 6mbps DSL I could hardly ever get HD, now on 100mbps cable I get 1080p HD after a few seconds, while it seems to ramp up slower than Netflix does to their 2160p.

Also had a friend with 25 down (IIRC) uverse and he had trouble getting 1080p HD but not HD. One he went to 50 down service, he gets 1080p HD from Amazon.

I average 50-60 megs and Amazon goes right to HD on all my devices. I have only 25 megs on my 2.5ghz band in order accommodate some old wireless G devices like my old back up PC. I have an old Roku 2 on my kitchen LCD running on the 2.5 ghz band, and Amazon still ramps right up to HD. Recently I experience the rez dropping off momentarily to SD quality on my Roku 3600, but once I pushed the 'OK' button it re-booted right back up to 1080 without any further issues.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #1996 of 2002 Old Yesterday, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post

I've never had a problem with Amazon Prime (10 Mbps), VUDU HDX (9 Mbps) and Netflix 1080p (variable rate) with my TWC 15 Mbps service.

Whatever problem your friend had with Uverse 25 Mbps down it wasn't just speed alone.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten Movies
post #1997 of 2002 Old Yesterday, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

He probably wasn't a religious about checking exactly what speed he was getting as I am.
post #1998 of 2002 Old Yesterday, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Amazon Makes Pilot Episodes Of Some Of Its Original Series Available On Facebook And YouTube For Free

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/17...utube-free.htm

post #1999 of 2002 Old Yesterday, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1215 Post(s)
Liked: 574
Ramp ups seem to be improving but I haven't watched anything on Amazon for months. They were pretty slow back then even on a 12 Mbps service. But the ramp ups have more to do with network demand at the moment. If there is a lot of demand they might play a low-res segment longer to get enough buffering so the rest of the show plays pretty much HD for you.

VUDU waits to show something until there is a buffer but that doesn't take very long. Netflix is taking less time and Hulu doesn't take too long these days either. I did have a problem getting Hulu to play Kurt Suttter's "Sons of Anarchy in the 14th Century" to play in anything more than low-res the other night even coming back to it. Last night it ramped up to HD in a few seconds so I got to see why the series was canceled (sorry Kurt).

The reason I haven't watched anything on Amazon in ages is because I watch everything else on an Nvidia Shield TV which Amazon refuses to support.
post #2000 of 2002 Old Yesterday, 03:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I'm a bit shocked that Amazon sells Shield TV. I suppose that the fact that it's not dedicated to streaming video mitigates it being a streaming device which doesn't play Amazon (their fault). They can hardly refuse to sell Android devices.

post #2001 of 2002 Old Today, 06:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post

VUDU waits to show something until there is a buffer but that doesn't take very long. Netflix is taking less time...
I'm not surprised that Netflix is taking less time given their low bitrate. I watched The Confirmation on Netflix two nights ago and then followed that with an episode of The Night Manager on VUDU. I looked at the traffic on my router log the following morning. Although not exact way of calculating download speed I picked an average spot in the Netflix download and came up with 271 KB/s or a little over 2 Mbps...while VUDU was a pretty steady 9 Mbps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Netflix-VR.png
Views:	5
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	1622321  

post #2002 of 2002 Old Today, 06:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Netflix is basing it on the show/scene with some variable bitrate. I have seen some of their UHD shows eat a lot of gb's in an hour.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page