Amazon Prime Instant Video - Page 68 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 129Likes
post #2011 of 2020 Unread 08-26-2016, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 764 Post(s)
Liked: 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
I am a big Kurt Sutter fan, so I started watching The Bastard Executioner with high hopes. Alas, despite how much I had wanted to like the show, I dropped it during the second episode. Sometimes even one of of the geniuses responsible for TV’s “Second Golden Age” gets it wrong. Think David Milch’s John From Cincinnati.
Actually I thought it was quite good, but probably not worth the budget spent on it.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2012 of 2020 Unread 08-26-2016, 12:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1568 Post(s)
Liked: 1638
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post
Actually I thought it was quite good, but probably not worth the budget spent on it.
Oh, I understand. I rather liked John From Cincinnati and hated to see it go.

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Movie Server 6 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Crestron Control System; Hsu VTF-3 MK3 Turbo subwoofer, 6 Hsu Bookshelf speakers 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker 4 Focal in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo BDP-103 BD player; Mac Mini HTPC. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR
post #2013 of 2020 Unread 08-26-2016, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 738 Post(s)
Liked: 721
While strange, I too rather Liked John from Cincinnati. As for TBE, I think I lasted 3 episodes before the heave-ho.
post #2014 of 2020 Unread Yesterday, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I just finished a documentary. "First Footprints: The Original Pioneers of All Humankind". It's about the aboriginal history of Australia, which goes back 50,000 years. Absolutely gorgeous video (watch on a TV, not phone or tablet.)

Need help with your Motorola DVR? Check the Wikibook: How to use a Motorola DVR
post #2015 of 2020 Unread Yesterday, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked: 454
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyross63 View Post
I just finished a documentary. "First Footprints: The Original Pioneers of All Humankind". It's about the aboriginal history of Australia, which goes back 50,000 years. Absolutely gorgeous video (watch on a TV, not phone or tablet.)
Is that the one with a segment on the 19th century British anthropologist who studied the aborigines? That was one of the most interesting things I've ever seen - he collected tons of "scientific" research, but also collected "useless" hair samples simply to add a bit of color to his exhibits. At the time the gene pool was almost completely undiluted, and a century later that DNA turned out to be one of the most valuable resources in tracing human origins ever discovered.

Also fascinating that lower sea levels are what made their migration possible, and rising sea levels then isolated them from the rest of humanity for thousands of years...

CC

Who knew "flammable" and "inflammable" mean the same thing???
post #2016 of 2020 Unread Yesterday, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc_in_oh View Post
Is that the one with a segment on the 19th century British anthropologist who studied the aborigines? That was one of the most interesting things I've ever seen - he collected tons of "scientific" research, but also collected "useless" hair samples simply to add a bit of color to his exhibits. At the time the gene pool was almost completely undiluted, and a century later that DNA turned out to be one of the most valuable resources in tracing human origins ever discovered.

Also fascinating that lower sea levels are what made their migration possible, and rising sea levels then isolated them from the rest of humanity for thousands of years...
I don't think so. This is the full link to Amazon (I hope). This appears to be a 4-part TV series put together into a single documentary (about 1:43 long):
https://www.amazon.com/First-Footpri.../dp/B01J2BGAYM
This is a PDF of the press kit for the movie (couldn't find a more direct link.)
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...5K1wFA&cad=rja

post #2017 of 2020 Unread Today, 06:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion - watched it last night and it is well worth the the time - also includes excellent DTS audio - highly recommended!

post #2018 of 2020 Unread Today, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsantafe View Post
Thanks for the suggestion - watched it last night and it is well worth the the time - also includes excellent DTS audio - highly recommended!
On my Roku4, it was only DD 2.0 if I remember.

post #2019 of 2020 Unread Today, 07:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
On my Roku4, it was only DD 2.0 if I remember.
Was definitely DTS:Neural X on my Denon 6200 via Roku 3 - the soundstage was very enveloping, and it took me awhile before I checked the receiver to confirm the signal.

post #2020 of 2020 Unread Today, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsantafe View Post
Was definitely DTS:Neural X on my Denon 6200 via Roku 3 - the soundstage was very enveloping, and it took me awhile before I checked the receiver to confirm the signal.
Are you sure it was true DTS? Streaming is almost always some form of Dolby (DD or DD+). That sounds like it may have been a soundfield enhancement feature for 2.0. In reality, my receiver said "Dolby PL II Movie", which is the setting I use for 2.0 audio.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Video Download Services & Hardware