post #181 of 1318 Old 02-24-2011, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritfox View Post

I added Prime to my account yesterday--saw the price for Scott Pilgram Blu Ray was down to $13.99--so for Blu Rays it is a nice feature--free two day shipping and no need to worry about your order adding up to $25.

Exactly what they want... order something you wouldn't since the shipping is free (well not really you already paid for that).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1318 Old 02-24-2011, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenFromTexas View Post

I spent $3,631.94 with Amazon.com in 2010, and not spending an extra $79.00 for two-day shipping, or whatever time-frame it is, was a no-brainer for me. I have better uses for the $79.00 than spending it on a Prime membership. So, I came out ahead money-wise than you did.

Hey. Good for you. Double scrabble points for you then.

Seriuosely though, this thread is to talk about the aVOD streaming service. Not so you can have a pulpit to preach to us about our sinfully wasteful ways.

Isn't there a Nancy-Dogooders forum down the way that's looking for this a little more than we are?

-Suntan
post #183 of 1318 Old 02-24-2011, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenFromTexas View Post

I spent $3,631.94 with Amazon.com in 2010, and not spending an extra $79.00 for two-day shipping, or whatever time-frame it is, was a no-brainer for me. I have better uses for the $79.00 than spending it on a Prime membership. So, I came out ahead money-wise than you did.

sure, but the extra week of time with my product over yours is worth it to me When I want a game on release date for free, or need a new hard drive to replace one that died STAT - this is totally the best money I spend all year.
post #184 of 1318 Old 02-25-2011, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 53
I have been an Amazon customer since they came online but never a Prime member. Looks like I may have to sign up with my next order .

Some may find this an interesting read:

Survey: 32% of Netflix Subs Would Switch to Amazon Prime

Quote:

Michael Greeson, founding partner with TDG, in a post said the results portend a potential groundswell for Prime streaming at Netflix's expense. He said that while Netflix streaming offers more than twice the content of Prime, it is easier to use and available on more than 200 consumer electronics devices, but does not make it immune to the ecommerce behemoth.

Amazon is not Redbox, and the upside potential of this new streaming service will go far beyond this initial Netflix Lite' offering, Greeson wrote.

post #185 of 1318 Old 02-25-2011, 01:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 515
I didn't realize that they had free "Super Saver" shipping on orders of $25 or more of anything you can get Prime shipping on; I don't think that was true 4 years back when I first subscribed to Prime. (I wonder if that includes all "fulfillment by Amazon" items which they ship for other e-tailers)?

Paying for all of my shipping in advance changes the way that I use the service. I have no doubt that the majority of my purchases are sub-$25. Last week I ordered some of my favorite gourmet oatmeal that I can't find locally and a load of bar soap in separate orders. Individual sheet music books, bargain bin video games, novels I can't find in eBook form, office supplies, guitar strings and picks, etc, etc, etc. I always shop Amazon first, turn on the Prime Eligible filter and buy whatever I want without thinking about shipping.

If you don't think that Prime would be worthwhile for you, cool. It is worthwhile for some of us, whether you believe it or not.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #186 of 1318 Old 02-25-2011, 01:48 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

I didn't realize that they had free "Super Saver" shipping on orders of $25 or more of anything you can get Prime shipping on; I don't think that was true 4 years back when I first subscribed to Prime. (I wonder if that includes all "fulfillment by Amazon" items which they ship for other e-tailers)?

Paying for all of my shipping in advance changes the way that I use the service. I have no doubt that the majority of my purchases are sub-$25. Last week I ordered some of my favorite gourmet oatmeal that I can't find locally and a load of bar soap in separate orders. Individual sheet music books, bargain bin video games, novels I can't find in eBook form, office supplies, guitar strings and picks, etc, etc, etc. I always shop Amazon first, turn on the Prime Eligible filter and buy whatever I want without thinking about shipping.

If you don't think that Prime would be worthwhile for you, cool. It is worthwhile for some of us, whether you believe it or not.

I'm with you, if that option was available way back when I started with Amazon I certainly don't recall it.

I absolutely enjoy the 1 and 2 day delivery times with the Prime account though, so even if it was available then I probably would have still got the Prime account. As I noted before, given the convenience of those delivery times I have no doubt I've come out ahead on the deal and don't regret a single dollar spent on it.
post #187 of 1318 Old 02-25-2011, 02:00 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post

I have been an Amazon customer since they came online but never a Prime member. Looks like I may have to sign up with my next order .

Some may find this an interesting read:

Survey: 32% of Netflix Subs Would Switch to Amazon Prime

Thanks for the link.

I'm sure the folks at Netflix have considered Amazon entering the streaming market, but there's no doubt that if Amazon really starts to flex it's muscles, Netflix is definitely going to feel the pain.
post #188 of 1318 Old 02-25-2011, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:

Prime becomes habit forming. I started using it for blu-rays and then added books. Now, I check Amazon before buying many things. My guess is that people who sign up for Prime to get "free" video will eventually buy many other items.
post #189 of 1318 Old 02-25-2011, 02:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

I absolutely enjoy the 1 and 2 day delivery times with the Prime account though, so even if it was available then I probably would have still got the Prime account.

When I first signed up for Prime I bought a Prime Eligible Onkyo HTIB with a package weight of 107 lbs. Just for sh**s and giggles, I ordered it with overnight shipping, which would definitely have cost more than the Prime membership . It was probabably 2 weeks before I got around to setting the damn thing up .

post #190 of 1318 Old 02-25-2011, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsinger View Post

My guess is that people who sign up for Prime to get "free" video will eventually buy many other items.

I would wager Amazon KNOWS this will be the case. Those smart rascals
post #191 of 1318 Old 02-25-2011, 04:48 PM
AVS Club Gold

The articles examining the weaknesses of Netflix are starting to multiply.

Five reasons Netflix may become the bargain bin of streaming services
post #192 of 1318 Old 02-25-2011, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

When I first signed up for Prime I bought a Prime Eligible Onkyo HTIB with a package weight of 107 lbs. Just for sh**s and giggles, I ordered it with overnight shipping, which would definitely have cost more than the Prime membership . It was probabably 2 weeks before I got around to setting the damn thing up .

ha, that's exactly what I did with an Onkyo! I have a Pioneer now though
post #193 of 1318 Old 02-25-2011, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The articles examining the weaknesses of Netflix are starting to multiply.

Five reasons Netflix may become the bargain bin of streaming services

here's the problem with this argument - it's predicated by being written by a person who doesn't want to watch older movies.

To me, Netflix is for movie/tv enthusiasts who want to fill up on old movies and TV they missed or rewatch old favorites. Sure the new movies are great too, but I watch far more media that is 5 years old or older.
post #194 of 1318 Old 02-25-2011, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by b_scott View Post

here's the problem with this argument - it's predicated by being written by a person who doesn't want to watch older movies.

To me, Netflix is for movie/tv enthusiasts who want to fill up on old movies and TV they missed or rewatch old favorites. Sure the new movies are great too, but I watch far more media that is 5 years old or older.

I am your exact opposite. I hardly watch movies that are 5 years old or more and almost never that are more than 10 years old. Netflix member since 2001.

I want to hear opinions from people who don't have a dog in the fight.
post #195 of 1318 Old 02-25-2011, 06:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:

Regarding newer content who else has any at the same or lower price? Subscription plans at this price will never have (fairly) new content to any degree.
post #196 of 1318 Old 02-25-2011, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

Regarding newer content who else has any at the same or lower price? Subscription plans at this price will never have (fairly) new content to any degree.

also true.
post #197 of 1318 Old 02-25-2011, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex solomon View Post

I am your exact opposite. I hardly watch movies that are 5 years old or more and almost never that are more than 10 years old. Netflix member since 2001.

I'm 29, and I have missed a lot of the movies and TV from oldies to just stuff I never watched because I didn't have the time. With being a BB online member from 2005-2009, and Netflix from 2009-2011, in those 6 years I still have about 200 titles including TV series in my disc/streaming queue. That of course includes new stuff, but I'm constantly playing catch-up on movies and TV from the past.

I'm a media hog, and I still feel like I'm never making a dent in my list. Still finishing the AFI 100 interspersed with other stuff - I think I have 20 of them left.
post #198 of 1318 Old 02-25-2011, 08:07 PM
Advanced Member

If oil continues to climb, how long can Amazon hold their price on Prime membership? I don't see tying their streaming service to Prime membership as a very solid long-term strategy.

Netflix has the advantage here because their streaming cost is not tied to the cost of shipping. On the other hand, Amazon is using streaming as a loss leader for Prime membership. They would be thrilled if Amazon streaming took off but I don't think it matters to them as much as streaming matters to Netflix.
post #199 of 1318 Old 02-25-2011, 08:55 PM

True and NF could benefit from the rise in oil since oil prices affect everything. Ppl will look more to cheap entertainment. $5 per gallon of gas will seriously hurt the economy in many ways.
post #200 of 1318 Old 02-25-2011, 09:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Rising oil prices merely incentivizes the shipping industry to continue their work on reducing their dependence on oil. Both UPS and Fedex have been gradually working on conversion to hybrid and fully electric trucks.

The mammoth e-tailers (Amazon, QVC, etc) aren't likely to take large hits in shipping prices.

post #201 of 1318 Old 02-25-2011, 09:21 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taperwood View Post

If oil continues to climb, how long can Amazon hold their price on Prime membership? I don't see tying their streaming service to Prime membership as a very solid long-term strategy.

Netflix has the advantage here because their streaming cost is not tied to the cost of shipping. On the other hand, Amazon is using streaming as a loss leader for Prime membership. They would be thrilled if Amazon streaming took off but I don't think it matters to them as much as streaming matters to Netflix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cygnus2112 View Post

True and NF could benefit from the rise in oil since oil prices affect everything. Ppl will look more to cheap entertainment. $5 per gallon of gas will seriously hurt the economy in many ways.

I think you guys are reaching a bit, but heck, anything's possible.

Consider that Amazon probably had revenues in the neighborhood of $20 billion last year. By contrast Netflix was around 1/10th of that amount. Amazon is definitely in a position to absorb a certain degree of fluctuations in shipping costs.

In any case, I think competition is good for the consumer, and anything that forces Netflix to improve, and expand, on their product is a good thing.

Truth be told though, I do believe that Amazon is in the driver's seat with regard to streaming video, it may take some time, but I believe they will be a very serious threat to Netflix's only business come a few years down the road when Netflix has all but discontinued their disc rental by mail business. Maybe that decision will be looked at again with the pressure from Amazon and others, also good for us consumers as disc rental options appear to be coming scarcer as the days progress given the dark outlook for Blockbuster, the only other option I'm aware of.
post #202 of 1318 Old 02-25-2011, 10:21 PM
AVS Special Member

when anyone mentions the price of oil, it doesn't really phase me. I know it's used in things, but we don't own a car, we use natural gas in our condo, I take the el train (electric) most of the time. Occasionally I'll take a bus.

Yes, I know it affects me indirectly.
post #203 of 1318 Old 02-25-2011, 10:43 PM
Advanced Member

I was just pointing out a potential but currently very real problem in Amazon's pricing model for streaming. Since Amazon does not have their own shipping company, they are as much at the mercy of UPS and FedEx, etc., as anyone else. They may get volume discounts on contract, but Prime is still related to the cost of shipping, and fuel is a big factor in that.

I agree that Netflix has far more to lose from streaming than Amazon does. This should light a fire under them, but I'm sure they knew this was coming. In a way, however, it validates their vision for the future of streaming.

Yeah, tell me about the problems with getting discs. I was in Costco today and their disc selection is getting pretty slim, especially with BD's. Another local outfit I trade used DVD's with told me over the holidays they were not buying discs until they sold some of their stock. First time that has ever happened. The local pawn shop is selling DVD's for a buck apiece. The signs are everywhere of the problem with moving discs.

Quote:

I think you guys are reaching a bit, but heck, anything's possible.

Consider that Amazon probably had revenues in the neighborhood of $20 billion last year. By contrast Netflix was around 1/10th of that amount. Amazon is definitely in a position to absorb a certain degree of fluctuations in shipping costs.

In any case, I think competition is good for the consumer, and anything that forces Netflix to improve, and expand, on their product is a good thing.

Truth be told though, I do believe that Amazon is in the driver's seat with regard to streaming video, it may take some time, but I believe they will be a very serious threat to Netflix's only business come a few years down the road when Netflix has all but discontinued their disc rental by mail business. Maybe that decision will be looked at again with the pressure from Amazon and others, also good for us consumers as disc rental options appear to be coming scarcer as the days progress given the dark outlook for Blockbuster, the only other option I'm aware of.

post #204 of 1318 Old 02-26-2011, 12:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 63
You could call the price of oil many ways - higher oil prices - people have less to spend and the overall economy slows - maybe they stay in more and spend more on in-home entertainment - or they buy more online vs driving to the store - or maybe not.

Speculating on the effect on Amazon vs Netflix delivery costs seems a stretch though.
post #205 of 1318 Old 02-26-2011, 01:06 AM
EJ
AVS Special Member

Unless I'm missing something, aside from a place to put your favorites, the Amazon setup seems like one big mess.

Former USSB uplink operator.
post #206 of 1318 Old 02-26-2011, 01:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ View Post

Unless I'm missing something, aside from a place to put your favorites, the Amazon setup seems like one big mess.

Yeah That. Who wants to load their streams into a shopping cart, anyway? The movie and tv section should have its own interface...
post #207 of 1318 Old 02-26-2011, 02:20 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

when anyone mentions the price of oil, it doesn't really phase me.

you mean "faze" don't you....
post #208 of 1318 Old 02-26-2011, 02:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 14
So is there a way to add the free streaming movies to "Your Library" along with the movies we've paid for? I only see a link to "Watch Now," no adding to library unless we pay for them like non-Primers.

Bob Simandl ... somewhere near St. Louis
post #209 of 1318 Old 02-26-2011, 07:51 AM
Advanced Member

Amazon has tied the price of their streaming service to something they have very little control over, which is the cost of shipping. That adds a layer of complexity to Amazon's streaming costs that Netflix does not have. That's all I'm saying. There is no speculation there.

Speculation would be what is Amazon's strategy. Are they trying to drive the streaming market or are they trying to drive Prime memberships up? Two very different strategies. Based on how they set it up, I think it's the latter: To get people to buy more stuff from them. That's my speculation

Quote:
Originally Posted by undecided View Post

You could call the price of oil many ways - higher oil prices - people have less to spend and the overall economy slows - maybe they stay in more and spend more on in-home entertainment - or they buy more online vs driving to the store - or maybe not.

Speculating on the effect on Amazon vs Netflix delivery costs seems a stretch though.

post #210 of 1318 Old 02-26-2011, 08:06 AM

Amazon Prime plus Very Limited Instant Videos. You just got to love what happens when a committee gets together to come up with a "plan".
Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page