Amazon Prime Instant Video - Page 78 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 246Likes

post #2311 of 2337 Old 03-31-2017, 09:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 631 Post(s)
Liked: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Young View Post
I recently purchased the Sony 4K 5000. I am considering the Lumagen 4242
4k, 3D processor for the Sony. I am interested in knowning will the Lumagen improve picture quality and video noise reduction. As we have seen some Blu-ray Disc are better than others. How does the Lumagen do in offering better image and less artifacts. The Sony right now offers an incredible picture but is it worth the price for better image quality, color and a less video noise.
Thanks Greg
Probably better addressed in the Video Processor Forum:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/37-video-processors/

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten Movies
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2312 of 2337 Old 04-24-2017, 09:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 42
No official word, but most of the HBO titles haven't been renewed. Hopefully they come to a new agreement.

Anybody else here watch the Technicolor-esqe The Love Witch on Prime? Pretty.
AaronY likes this.
post #2313 of 2337 Old 04-25-2017, 11:38 AM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunkbeard View Post
No official word, but most of the HBO titles haven't been renewed. Hopefully they come to a new agreement.

"information from Amazon, stating that the ?leaving? labels were added in error."

They were mislabeled as leaving, and websites assumed instead of getting confirmation. So, good news.
AaronY likes this.

post #2314 of 2337 Old Yesterday, 10:09 AM

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Even though I already subscribe to HBO via Amazon Channels- I hope the Amazon/HBO partnership endures for a while. And what's up with Game of Thrones? I thought they'd release at least three seasons to Prime by now.
post #2315 of 2337 Old Yesterday, 07:31 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2777 Post(s)
Liked: 1494
Quote:
Originally Posted by calculon68 View Post
And what's up with Game of Thrones? I thought they'd release at least three seasons to Prime by now.

Why would they do that? It's their most valuable (and most expensive to produce) property. People will pay extra for it. Adding it to Prime would be leaving money on the table, without benefit to HBO.
AaronY likes this.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #2316 of 2337 Old Yesterday, 08:00 PM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by calculon68 View Post
Even though I already subscribe to HBO via Amazon Channels- I hope the Amazon/HBO partnership endures for a while. And what's up with Game of Thrones? I thought they'd release at least three seasons to Prime by now.
Who does the encoding on those Amazon add-on channels? I ask because Amazon's 1080p looks better than HBO GO's to me. Wondering if the add-ons will look better there
post #2317 of 2337 Old Yesterday, 08:04 PM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunkbeard View Post

I loved everything about that. Even the guy who played the main male actor played it perfectly. was like he stepped right out of a time machine.
post #2318 of 2337 Old Yesterday, 08:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 881 Post(s)
Liked: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronY View Post
Who does the encoding on those Amazon add-on channels? I ask because Amazon's 1080p looks better than HBO GO's to me. Wondering if the add-ons will look better there
What streaming device are you using? I have a Roku 3600R and HBO GO looks as good as Amazon. Game of Thrones looks stunning on my Panasonic PDP

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #2319 of 2337 Old Yesterday, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronY View Post
It looks better to me too. I had HBO Now for eighteen months- and I switched to Amazon Channels HBO last fall. I was never a fan of the FireTV Now app, and even less of fan of the Roku Now app.

(btw, Fire TV users get the HBO live linear feeds too... and you don't get those on the Roku Amazon app)

Some of the HBO titles do have IMDB/X-Ray info embedded- so I'm assuming Amazon's doing the encoding. And I feel that the 1080p quality is more stable through Amazon.
AaronY likes this.

Last edited by calculon68; Yesterday at 09:39 PM.
post #2320 of 2337 Old Today, 05:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked: 3366
As someone who watches a lot of Starz, HBO, Showtime and Max originals, trust me when I say, the Amazon channels look better than their apps, and the pay TV versions (Channels on Dish, Directv, etc...).

The best way you can watch GoT, Westworld, Ray Donovan, is to sub to the channel on Amazon and add the show to your watchlist. I'm done paying cable and Satellite for these channels and subpar PQ.

As far as HBO Go and HBO Now, I have directly compared scenes between those two and the Amazon sub on a Roku, blu-ray player and fire tv, the Amazon sub looks better period.
Gary J, Keenan and AaronY like this.
post #2321 of 2337 Old Today, 05:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked: 217
To me they even look better on the Fire Stick.
AaronY likes this.
post #2322 of 2337 Old Today, 08:46 AM

I use my TiVo for HBO Go (and Netflix, Hulu, 1080p VUDU and Plex) because I get 24Hz output of 24p content from it. Looks fine to me, but I haven't tried the Amazon channel. They used to pump out 1080p at 10 Mbps; I'm not sure what they're doing now, but if they're doing that for HBO that might explain it. I'll take a look at with my router's bandwidth monitor.

My cable package contains the four premiums (340 other channels, 300 Mbps Internet) so I'm unlikely to try the Amazon channel anytime soon. I'm not yet ready to cut the cord.
AaronY likes this.

post #2323 of 2337 Old Today, 08:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked: 3366
I havent cut the cord, I just dont buy premiums from my provider any more, the per channel fee's are cheaper on Amazon some times and I can cancel and add when I want without a spamming phone call into them.

As far as 24hz, my Sony blu-ray players do that so I get 24hz anyways.
post #2324 of 2337 Old Today, 09:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1317 Post(s)
Liked: 1312
Amazon Prime, Netflix, and Hulu. That's all I need. Why is HBO even a thing anymore?

Just 'cause you're right doesn't mean I'm wrong
post #2325 of 2337 Old Today, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkpenguin View Post
Amazon Prime, Netflix, and Hulu. That's all I need. Why is HBO even a thing anymore?

Mostly because of the series which they produce like Game of Thrones and Westworld. If you have HBO, HBO Go gives you useful access to more recent movies than you get from Amazon Prime, Netflix or Hulu, like Batman vs Superman, Suicide Squad and Deadpool (I didn't recognize any non-comic-book ones ).

My aunt doesn't use HBO Go; she records movies from HBO, Showtime, Cinemax, etc, on her DVR.

post #2326 of 2337 Old Today, 01:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

All that stuff ends up on another platform eventually. HBO and cable companies ripped people off for decades. I'd prefer to watch something produced by someone else, anyone else.

post #2327 of 2337 Old Today, 01:15 PM

Quote:
All that stuff ends up on another platform eventually. HBO and cable companies ripped people off for decades. I'd prefer to watch something produced by someone else, anyone else.

Whether or not the service is worth your money is a personal decision; obviously it's not worth your's . I never felt "ripped off" by them. They have a product and they have a right to price it howsoever they want. If people aren't willing to pay that then no one's forcing them to subscribe. I only feel "ripped-off" by unreasonable prices for things that I can't do without; premium cable is a luxury for anyone who subscribes.

As I said, it and the 3 other premiums are part of my current package, along with 340 other channels, 300 Mbps Internet for $130/month ($20 more in the 2nd year). I don't need all of that; I don't need the premiums, I watch fewer than 20 of the expanded basic channels and a couple of the sports tier ones; I do want the 300 Mbps Internet, inasmuch as I frequently download large files. If I break up the package and order just what I need ala carte it costs considerably more. Since I have the premiums I sometimes use the associated apps.
gwsat likes this.

post #2328 of 2337 Old Today, 01:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Enjoy it while you can, cable tv will eventually go the way of the music industry. It's an old model that the younger generations reject. And beyond cost, cable shows suck. I'll take an Amazon or Netflix original all day over the tired old crap traditional tv is still putting out.

post #2329 of 2337 Old Today, 02:10 PM

Quote:
I'll take an Amazon or Netflix original all day over the tired old crap traditional tv is still putting out.
Both Amazon and Netflix still have a while to go before reaching quality parity with HBO's original content. Not saying Amazon/Netflix originals aren't good- just that HBO has doing this for a lot longer. (first original movie 1983, first original series 1997)
post #2330 of 2337 Old Today, 02:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Exactly my point, HBO's been around since 83 and as far as I can tell have not really ever evolved. In a very short time Netflix has put out some content that's truly original. 13 reasons why being the current example.

post #2331 of 2337 Old Today, 02:42 PM

I tried measuring bandwidth consumed by an episode of The Expanse streamed on my first-gen FTV Stick; it was sharp as a tack--I don't think that it looks much if any better in 4K. Surprisingly it was streaming at 3.5 Mbps which had to be AVC since the stick cannot decode the more advanced encodings like HEVC or VP9. It was actually probably significantly less since that average was of an quantity of data which included some unknown amount of buffered unplayed content (if the buffer were 1 minute long it would have been 3.17 Mbps).

Then I played the first 10 minutes of Westworld S1E1 in the HBO Go app on FTV Stick and it averaged about 6.1 Mbps (5.5 Mbps, assuming a 60 second buffer). It looked pretty good. I then took the free 1 week trial of the Amazon HBO channel and played the same thing on FTV Stick; it averaged 11.18 Mbps (10.16 Mbps if there was a 60 second buffer). I didn't think that it was jaw droppingly better but it could have been the nature of the material.

HBO Go and Amazon HBO used two distinctly different buffering strategies. A graph of HBO Go:

Spoiler!

A graph of Amazon HBO:

Spoiler!

(I was viewing that bandwidth monitor in Chrome on a phone). he graph of The Expanse looks similar to the one of Amazon HBO, just with lower peaks:

Spoiler!
calculon68 and AaronY like this.

post #2332 of 2337 Old Today, 02:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Another example of the cable companies sticking it to ya. Nobody needs or even uses 300 mbps, but they'll sell it to ya! Most people would be shocked at how little bandwidth they actually use if they ever bothered to look.

post #2333 of 2337 Old Today, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Another example of the cable companies sticking it to ya. Nobody needs or even uses 300 mbps, but they'll sell it to ya! Most people would be shocked at how little bandwidth they actually use if they ever bothered to look.

I am a retired software engineer who spent years working on firmware running in large scale networking devices (though the last stuff I worked on was system and application software embedded in feature phones). I think I know how much bandwidth I can use. I download multi-GB files all of the time; my quota (which Cox in no way enforces) is 1TB/month--I usually come close and sometimes exceed it. I'm a video gamer who detests discs, so all of my games are downloaded; a minimum of 20 GB for a "full game" on Xbone or PS4, typically 40-60 GB.

Don't presume that you know how much bandwidth "nobody needs" . As they say, there's no such thing as being too thin, or having too fast Internet service .

The cable companies do not push the really high speed; they list reasonable suggestions for how fast a connection you can benefit from based on how you use it. The FCC requires at least 25 Mbps to call it "broadband". I don't think that my cable company offers a plan with less than 50 Mbps (EDIT: I was wrong; they sell 5-, 15-, 50-, 150- and 300 Mbps plans). They often up the speed year to year without increasiing the price. I went from 50 Mbps to 100 Mbps to 150 Mbps without a price raise.
gwsat likes this.

Last edited by michaeltscott; Today at 03:57 PM.
post #2334 of 2337 Old Today, 05:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm sure you know your stuff. I manage an ISP so I doubt I have any knowledge on this at all.

post #2335 of 2337 Old Today, 06:15 PM

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2766 Post(s)
Liked: 3052
Quote:
Enjoy it while you can, cable tv will eventually go the way of the music industry. It's an old model that the younger generations reject. And beyond cost, cable shows suck. I'll take an Amazon or Netflix original all day over the tired old crap traditional tv is still putting out.
I agree that Amazon Prime and Netflix have some terrific shows but the cable channels have outstanding shows too. You might consider AMC and FX. Between them they have or are currently carrying such shows as Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul, The Americans, Sons of Anarchy, and Mad Men. I suggest that none of the shows I mentioned are "tired old crap." Cable may indeed pass from the scene at some point but it won't be for a lack of shows that rival the quality of those produced by Amazon and Netflix.

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Crestron Control System; Hsu VTF-3 MK3 Turbo subwoofer, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player; Mac Mini HTPC. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR
post #2336 of 2337 Old Today, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
Between them they have or are currently carrying such shows as Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul, The Americans, Sons of Anarchy, and Mad Men.
You're kind of supporting his argument, since all of those are available on Netflix .

post #2337 of 2337 Old Today, 06:52 PM

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2766 Post(s)
Liked: 3052
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
You're kind of supporting his argument, since all of those are available on Netflix .
True but it's a mixed bag. The streaming services do indeed get cable network shows but its months or years after they were originally shown on cable.

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Crestron Control System; Hsu VTF-3 MK3 Turbo subwoofer, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player; Mac Mini HTPC. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page