Amazon Prime Instant Video - Page 79 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 250Likes

post #2341 of 2348 Old Today, 07:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 690 Post(s)
Liked: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkpenguin View Post
This is a misconception. If I can afford a home theater I can afford cable tv. I don't want it. We were actually streaming and paying for Dish for several months and then one day we realized that we were never switching inputs to Dish. So we dumped it. They actually dropped the price 3 times during that call and had me down to 25 dollars a month if I would have stayed. I'm not going to lie, I got some serious satisfaction with telling them to go to hell.

But to get back on topic I guess, my favorite Amazon original so far probably has to be Red Oaks. That's been a fun little show. We're gonna give Sneaky Pete a try when we get back from vacation. It looks like a good one.
I don't think you see my point - - namely, that people do like choices and Cable/Satellite is one of them.

I, like many folks, have had problems with Cable and Satellite Companies. Quite frankly, SOSDD when you work with them. I told Comcast to take a hike ten years ago. They blew off two "In Home" appointments without even notifying me. Then, Directv, who I was happy with for close to ten years totally ignored my calls and problems with their service. Bye bye Directv.

If you get satisfaction from telling the satellite or cable company to go to hell, then good for you. I find that the joy is fleeting and I still need a high speed Internet connection for my home office. I also enjoy the cable channels and DVR capabilities, so I'll try to get the best deal I can without as many headaches as possible.

Lastly - - I agree with you on streaming content in that it's never been better. Lots of choices and the quality of the video has been superb - - at least for me on my 1080P 65" LCD & 100" Projection Screen via a BenQ W1080ST. I do not have Netflix but I do have Amazon Prime and Walter Presents. I'm amazed at the quality and availability of content out there. Now, as long as I don't pick up 50 lbs. watching it all!

Home Theater Setup
Samsung UN65ES8000 LCD/LED & BenQ W1080ST & Vizio M43C1
Pioneer SC65 (Pre-Amp) & Emotive XPA-3, 200 WPC
OPPO 103, Comcast Infinity X1, Darbee Darblet
ALL Paradigm - 7.1 - Studio 60's, V.2 (FL/FR) CC-690, V.5 (C)
ADP 590 V.5 (SS), MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2342 of 2348 Old Today, 08:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked: 1318
There is a lot to choose from, almost overwhelming at times.

The other thing I love about streaming that I didn't know about myself until I started is that I prefer to watch one show at a time now. I like to find a show that's got a couple of seasons ready to go and watch it every night until it's over and I don't like waiting a week to see what happens next. I can no longer juggle multiple shows at a time. I actually find it annoying. A good example was Mr Robot. One of the greatest shows I've ever seen and likely ever well. Sure it originated on cable tv, but a show full of cliffhangers has got to be annoying as hell waiting 7 days to see the next scene.

My home theater trained me to be patient and watch things later and after everyone else has. I haven't been to a commercial theater in a decade. I wait for blurays and watch them at home. So it was an easy transition for me.

Just 'cause you're right doesn't mean I'm wrong
post #2343 of 2348 Old Today, 08:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
I tried measuring bandwidth consumed by an episode of The Expanse streamed on my first-gen FTV Stick; it was sharp as a tack--I don't think that it looks much if any better in 4K. Surprisingly it was streaming at 3.5 Mbps which had to be AVC since the stick cannot decode the more advanced encodings like HEVC or VP9. It was actually probably significantly less since that average was of an quantity of data which included some unknown amount of buffered unplayed content (if the buffer were 1 minute long it would have been 3.17 Mbps).

Then I played the first 10 minutes of Westworld S1E1 in the HBO Go app on FTV Stick and it averaged about 6.1 Mbps (5.5 Mbps, assuming a 60 second buffer). It looked pretty good. I then took the free 1 week trial of the Amazon HBO channel and played the same thing on FTV Stick; it averaged 11.18 Mbps (10.16 Mbps if there was a 60 second buffer). I didn't think that it was jaw droppingly better but it could have been the nature of the material.

HBO Go and Amazon HBO used two distinctly different buffering strategies.
That is interesting. I've never seen HBO Now stream at more than 5 Mbps either on the Roku 3 or ATV3. But my original subscription was through iTunes so I am left wondering if the 10+ Mbps speed is due to Amazon being the streaming service or it's a FTV thing - which I don't have. Unlike many HBO subscribers I mainly watch Bill Maher and John Oliver and the occasional HBO Original show like The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten Movies

post #2344 of 2348 Old Today, 09:49 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2783 Post(s)
Liked: 1497
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
That is interesting. I've never seen HBO Now stream at more than 5 Mbps either on the Roku 3 or ATV3. But my original subscription was through iTunes so I am left wondering if the 10+ Mbps speed is due to Amazon being the streaming service or it's a FTV thing - which I don't have.

Amazon HBO is a different service than HBO Now; same content, presumably different people encoding it, served out of a different CDN. Amazon HBO costs $15/month (gotta remember to cancel my 1 week trial before they bill me).
AaronY likes this.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #2345 of 2348 Old Today, 12:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 348 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkpenguin View Post
But to get back on topic I guess, my favorite Amazon original so far probably has to be Red Oaks. That's been a fun little show. We're gonna give Sneaky Pete a try when we get back from vacation. It looks like a good one.
I really like Red Oaks, too. It hasn't gotten much attention. Catastrophe is another terrifically entertaining Amazon original. The third season just went up today.

Transparent is another outstanding Amazon original, especially the first season.

I Love Dick had an interesting pilot, and I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of the first season when it's released next month.

Alpha House had a great first season and then dropped like a rock in quality.

Braindead is a funny political satire that ran on CBS last season; each episode appeared a week later on Amazon. All of it is up for view now.
AaronY likes this.

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Carver m1.0t, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, Roku 2, etc.
Headphone system: Sennheiser HD600, AKG K702, Hifiman HE-400i, Marantz HD-DAC1 (also used for music playback in the main system, Marantz CD5004, Denon DVD-3910
post #2346 of 2348 Old Today, 01:25 PM

I'm looking forward to The Tick . Spoon!

post #2347 of 2348 Old Today, 04:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 881 Post(s)
Liked: 597
Quote:
... I played the first 10 minutes of Westworld S1E1 in the HBO Go app on FTV Stick and it averaged about 6.1 Mbps (5.5 Mbps, assuming a 60 second buffer). It looked pretty good. I then took the free 1 week trial of the Amazon HBO channel and played the same thing on FTV Stick; it averaged 11.18 Mbps (10.16 Mbps if there was a 60 second buffer). I didn't think that it was jaw droppingly better but it could have been the nature of the material.

Quote:
Amazon HBO is a different service than HBO Now; same content, presumably different people encoding it, served out of a different CDN. Amazon HBO costs $15/month (gotta remember to cancel my 1 week trial before they bill me).
I am certain that in many cases Amazon HBO looks better then HBO GO, but it is also dependent on many factors, such as your ISP, home network, the technical aspects of your streaming device, TV etc... Even when I switched from my Panasonic smart set to my quad core Roku, there was a significant difference in over all picture quality. Also, a properly calibrated TV not only provides a more accurate picture, but when watching different source material, it does so more consistently. I currently subscribe to Netflix, Amazon, HBO GO, Showtime Anytime, Starz Play, Vudu and various on demand networks as well, and I have found, at least in my situation, that the differences in streaming quality are usually and (I emphasize 'usually'), subtle. Just my 2 cents.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #2348 of 2348 Old Today, 10:55 PM

I tried a few more titles and the Amazon HBO channel consistently streams at about twice the bit rate of HBO Go, which would probably explain why people think that it looks better. It also does not feature HBO ads before the things that you watch and does feature X-Ray on Fire TV (press UP and it tells you who's portraying the characters on the screen among occasional other things). If I didn't have HBO in my cable package I might keep it . EDIT: I cancelled and they let me keep it for the rest of the free week; nice of them.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Video Download Services & Hardware