Amazon Prime Instant Video - Page 79 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 258Likes

post #2341 of 2368 Old 04-28-2017, 07:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkpenguin View Post
This is a misconception. If I can afford a home theater I can afford cable tv. I don't want it. We were actually streaming and paying for Dish for several months and then one day we realized that we were never switching inputs to Dish. So we dumped it. They actually dropped the price 3 times during that call and had me down to 25 dollars a month if I would have stayed. I'm not going to lie, I got some serious satisfaction with telling them to go to hell.

But to get back on topic I guess, my favorite Amazon original so far probably has to be Red Oaks. That's been a fun little show. We're gonna give Sneaky Pete a try when we get back from vacation. It looks like a good one.
I don't think you see my point - - namely, that people do like choices and Cable/Satellite is one of them.

I, like many folks, have had problems with Cable and Satellite Companies. Quite frankly, SOSDD when you work with them. I told Comcast to take a hike ten years ago. They blew off two "In Home" appointments without even notifying me. Then, Directv, who I was happy with for close to ten years totally ignored my calls and problems with their service. Bye bye Directv.

If you get satisfaction from telling the satellite or cable company to go to hell, then good for you. I find that the joy is fleeting and I still need a high speed Internet connection for my home office. I also enjoy the cable channels and DVR capabilities, so I'll try to get the best deal I can without as many headaches as possible.

Lastly - - I agree with you on streaming content in that it's never been better. Lots of choices and the quality of the video has been superb - - at least for me on my 1080P 65" LCD & 100" Projection Screen via a BenQ W1080ST. I do not have Netflix but I do have Amazon Prime and Walter Presents. I'm amazed at the quality and availability of content out there. Now, as long as I don't pick up 50 lbs. watching it all!

Home Theater Setup
Samsung UN65ES8000 LCD/LED & BenQ W1080ST & Vizio M43C1
Pioneer SC65 (Pre-Amp) & Emotive XPA-3, 200 WPC
OPPO 103, Comcast Infinity X1, Darbee Darblet
ALL Paradigm - 7.1 - Studio 60's, V.2 (FL/FR) CC-690, V.5 (C)
ADP 590 V.5 (SS), MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2342 of 2368 Old 04-28-2017, 08:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1334 Post(s)
Liked: 1337
There is a lot to choose from, almost overwhelming at times.

The other thing I love about streaming that I didn't know about myself until I started is that I prefer to watch one show at a time now. I like to find a show that's got a couple of seasons ready to go and watch it every night until it's over and I don't like waiting a week to see what happens next. I can no longer juggle multiple shows at a time. I actually find it annoying. A good example was Mr Robot. One of the greatest shows I've ever seen and likely ever well. Sure it originated on cable tv, but a show full of cliffhangers has got to be annoying as hell waiting 7 days to see the next scene.

My home theater trained me to be patient and watch things later and after everyone else has. I haven't been to a commercial theater in a decade. I wait for blurays and watch them at home. So it was an easy transition for me.
mborland likes this.

Just 'cause you're right doesn't mean I'm wrong
post #2343 of 2368 Old 04-28-2017, 08:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
I tried measuring bandwidth consumed by an episode of The Expanse streamed on my first-gen FTV Stick; it was sharp as a tack--I don't think that it looks much if any better in 4K. Surprisingly it was streaming at 3.5 Mbps which had to be AVC since the stick cannot decode the more advanced encodings like HEVC or VP9. It was actually probably significantly less since that average was of an quantity of data which included some unknown amount of buffered unplayed content (if the buffer were 1 minute long it would have been 3.17 Mbps).

Then I played the first 10 minutes of Westworld S1E1 in the HBO Go app on FTV Stick and it averaged about 6.1 Mbps (5.5 Mbps, assuming a 60 second buffer). It looked pretty good. I then took the free 1 week trial of the Amazon HBO channel and played the same thing on FTV Stick; it averaged 11.18 Mbps (10.16 Mbps if there was a 60 second buffer). I didn't think that it was jaw droppingly better but it could have been the nature of the material.

HBO Go and Amazon HBO used two distinctly different buffering strategies.
That is interesting. I've never seen HBO Now stream at more than 5 Mbps either on the Roku 3 or ATV3. But my original subscription was through iTunes so I am left wondering if the 10+ Mbps speed is due to Amazon being the streaming service or it's a FTV thing - which I don't have. Unlike many HBO subscribers I mainly watch Bill Maher and John Oliver and the occasional HBO Original show like The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten Movies

post #2344 of 2368 Old 04-28-2017, 09:49 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2839 Post(s)
Liked: 1511
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
That is interesting. I've never seen HBO Now stream at more than 5 Mbps either on the Roku 3 or ATV3. But my original subscription was through iTunes so I am left wondering if the 10+ Mbps speed is due to Amazon being the streaming service or it's a FTV thing - which I don't have.

Amazon HBO is a different service than HBO Now; same content, presumably different people encoding it, served out of a different CDN. Amazon HBO costs $15/month (gotta remember to cancel my 1 week trial before they bill me).
AaronY likes this.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #2345 of 2368 Old 04-28-2017, 12:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkpenguin View Post
But to get back on topic I guess, my favorite Amazon original so far probably has to be Red Oaks. That's been a fun little show. We're gonna give Sneaky Pete a try when we get back from vacation. It looks like a good one.
I really like Red Oaks, too. It hasn't gotten much attention. Catastrophe is another terrifically entertaining Amazon original. The third season just went up today.

Transparent is another outstanding Amazon original, especially the first season.

I Love Dick had an interesting pilot, and I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of the first season when it's released next month.

Alpha House had a great first season and then dropped like a rock in quality.

Braindead is a funny political satire that ran on CBS last season; each episode appeared a week later on Amazon. All of it is up for view now.
AaronY likes this.

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Carver m1.0t, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, Roku 2, etc.
Headphone system: Sennheiser HD600, AKG K702, Hifiman HE-400i, Marantz HD-DAC1 (also used for music playback in the main system, Marantz CD5004, Denon DVD-3910
post #2346 of 2368 Old 04-28-2017, 01:25 PM

I'm looking forward to The Tick . Spoon!

post #2347 of 2368 Old 04-28-2017, 04:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked: 600
Quote:
... I played the first 10 minutes of Westworld S1E1 in the HBO Go app on FTV Stick and it averaged about 6.1 Mbps (5.5 Mbps, assuming a 60 second buffer). It looked pretty good. I then took the free 1 week trial of the Amazon HBO channel and played the same thing on FTV Stick; it averaged 11.18 Mbps (10.16 Mbps if there was a 60 second buffer). I didn't think that it was jaw droppingly better but it could have been the nature of the material.

Quote:
Amazon HBO is a different service than HBO Now; same content, presumably different people encoding it, served out of a different CDN. Amazon HBO costs $15/month (gotta remember to cancel my 1 week trial before they bill me).
I am certain that in many cases Amazon HBO looks better then HBO GO, but it is also dependent on many factors, such as your ISP, home network, the technical aspects of your streaming device, TV etc... Even when I switched from my Panasonic smart set to my quad core Roku, there was a significant difference in over all picture quality. Also, a properly calibrated TV not only provides a more accurate picture, but when watching different source material, it does so more consistently. I currently subscribe to Netflix, Amazon, HBO GO, Showtime Anytime, Starz Play, Vudu and various on demand networks as well, and I have found, at least in my situation, that the differences in streaming quality are usually and (I emphasize 'usually'), subtle. Just my 2 cents.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #2348 of 2368 Old 04-28-2017, 10:55 PM

I tried a few more titles and the Amazon HBO channel consistently streams at about twice the bit rate of HBO Go, which would probably explain why people think that it looks better. It also does not feature HBO ads before the things that you watch and does feature X-Ray on Fire TV (press UP and it tells you who's portraying the characters on the screen among occasional other things). If I didn't have HBO in my cable package I might keep it . EDIT: I cancelled and they let me keep it for the rest of the free week; nice of them.
AaronY likes this.

post #2349 of 2368 Old 05-01-2017, 09:07 AM

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post
I am certain that in many cases Amazon HBO looks better then HBO GO, but it is also dependent on many factors, such as your ISP, home network, the technical aspects of your streaming device, TV etc... <snip> and I have found, at least in my situation, that the differences in streaming quality are usually and (I emphasize 'usually'), subtle. Just my 2 cents.
I had a 30 day trial of Amazon Channels HBO last Christmas and I rigorously compared both services- even going as far as simultaneously streaming same content from both providers on two devices: Roku 3 and Fire TV box. The differences were not subtle, which shocked me since HBO Now/Go is run by BAM Tech- the undisputed leaders in live sports streaming. It took me a week to decide to dump HBO Now for Amazon Channels HBO.
AaronY likes this.
post #2350 of 2368 Old 05-01-2017, 12:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by calculon68 View Post
I had a 30 day trial of Amazon Channels HBO last Christmas and I rigorously compared both services- even going as far as simultaneously streaming same content from both providers on two devices: Roku 3 and Fire TV box. The differences were not subtle, which shocked me since HBO Now/Go is run by BAM Tech- the undisputed leaders in live sports streaming. It took me a week to decide to dump HBO Now for Amazon Channels HBO.
Who's your ISP? What type of TV are you using? LCD? PDP? OLED? How well is it calibrated? What about your home network and router? My point is, there are a considerable amount of variables that effect picture quality on any given source, not just the bit rate. Personally, I have found that Starz Anytime has the best overall PQ of all of the sites that I view which includes Amazon, but I don't find the difference even close to 'jaw dropping'.

Ian

Last edited by mailiang; 05-01-2017 at 12:05 PM.
post #2351 of 2368 Old 05-03-2017, 10:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked: 3406
https://www.engadget.com/2017/05/03/...-amazon-prime/

I'm personally glad they are happy with the channel subscription method at least. I added the Starz sub back to my Amazon recently and the first episode of American Gods looked great streaming through my disc player. I'll continue to sub to the 4 premiums for originally series I want through Amazon as long as the PQ stays up.
AaronY likes this.
post #2352 of 2368 Old 05-05-2017, 08:02 AM

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 60
No license lasts forever. We may grumble and whine when content vanishes, but it's merely business as usual in OTT-land. What it really means for Prime subscribers is that they have to finally, for real this time, I'm not kidding, watch The Wire.

Just as long as they leave Amazon Channels alone. Not going back to HBO Now ever. (I'll go back to waiting for GoT Blu-Ray like I did in 2011)
AaronY likes this.
post #2353 of 2368 Old 05-05-2017, 05:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 971 Post(s)
Liked: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post
https://www.engadget.com/2017/05/03/...-amazon-prime/

I'm personally glad they are happy with the channel subscription method at least. I added the Starz sub back to my Amazon recently and the first episode of American Gods looked great streaming through my disc player. I'll continue to sub to the 4 premiums for originally series I want through Amazon as long as the PQ stays up.
Thanks for the heads up - I recorded Wire and some others years ago but I can get better quality now so I'll redo as many as I have time for...
AaronY likes this.

CC

Who knew "flammable" and "inflammable" mean the same thing???
post #2354 of 2368 Old 05-06-2017, 07:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thumbs up Manchester By The Sea

Now available on prime Manchester By The Sea.

Ian

post #2355 of 2368 Old 05-14-2017, 05:26 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Just finished seasons 1-4 of The Americans. Starting season 5 but Amazon has not included this season in Prime -- they want $1.99 an episode.

Is this because FX is still airing season 5?

$1.99 an episode isn't the issue, just want to know when Prime will pick up season 5.
post #2356 of 2368 Old 05-14-2017, 06:48 PM

I'm similarly screwed for Season 2 of The Expanse, and the season is done airing. I can watch the final 5 episodes on the SyFy app but I haven't seen the first 8. Hopefully it'll become Prime soon (and hopefully they'll present it in 4K like they did the first season).
reddice likes this.

post #2357 of 2368 Old 05-15-2017, 07:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRTforever View Post
Just finished seasons 1-4 of The Americans. Starting season 5 but Amazon has not included this season in Prime -- they want $1.99 an episode.

Is this because FX is still airing season 5?

$1.99 an episode isn't the issue, just want to know when Prime will pick up season 5.
It's just the modern version of waiting for VHS or DVD's or waiting for syndication. In this case, the 'free' versions probably will not show up until just before the next season, or after several months at best. They will milk it for as long as they can.

Need help with your Motorola DVR? Check the Wikibook: How to use a Motorola DVR
post #2358 of 2368 Old 05-15-2017, 08:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyross63 View Post
It's just the modern version of waiting for VHS or DVD's or waiting for syndication. In this case, the 'free' versions probably will not show up until just before the next season, or after several months at best. They will milk it for as long as they can.
Not always though - I'm pretty sure I saw somewhere that Prime is getting S3 of 12 Monkeys concurrent with SYFY.

It must depend on contracts - HBO shows seem to lag by 2 or 3 years - I think Prime is just now getting the 2014 season of Boardwalk Empire...

CC

post #2359 of 2368 Old 05-15-2017, 11:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked: 837
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc_in_oh View Post
Not always though - I'm pretty sure I saw somewhere that Prime is getting S3 of 12 Monkeys concurrent with SYFY.

It must depend on contracts - HBO shows seem to lag by 2 or 3 years - I think Prime is just now getting the 2014 season of Boardwalk Empire...
Hulu got season 2 of "12 Monkeys" recently. Not sure what else was in the deal.
post #2360 of 2368 Old 05-15-2017, 12:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
Hulu got season 2 of "12 Monkeys" recently. Not sure what else was in the deal.
The streaming content thread has S3 on Prime May 20 - maybe a misprint...

Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, HBO: What's new each month

CC

post #2361 of 2368 Old 05-15-2017, 07:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Watched episode 2 of American Gods tonight on my Starz sub and the black levels looked wonky (two different devices). When it was letterbox on the slave ship the bars were glowing, and most of the night shots looked bad. Must be an issue with the streaming version of that episode, the first episode was nothing like that.
post #2362 of 2368 Old 05-16-2017, 07:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked: 354
Quote:

I don't think it's a misprint. It says it will be available for streaming on Amazon Video (not Prime) although I agree there is no sign of it yet on the Amazon website. The link states it will be available on May 20, 2017 which seems to jive with how the episodes will be released.

Quote:
12 Monkeys will return for season 3 on Friday, May 19, 2017 at 8pm, but it won't be a typical release each Friday during the summer. Instead, Syfy will air all ten episodes of its shortened run during that first weekend for fans to enjoy. Four episodes will air on Friday, and three will air each night on Saturday and Sunday, ending the series on May 21, only two days after it began.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten Movies

Last edited by Mr.G; 05-16-2017 at 08:27 AM.
post #2363 of 2368 Old 05-16-2017, 08:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
I don't think it's a misprint. It says it will be available for streaming on Amazon Video (not Prime) although I agree there is no sign of it yet on the Amazon website. The link states it will be available on May 20, 2017 which seems to jive with how the episodes will be released.
Maybe that's it. It's getting harder to separate the content available with basic subscription fees from add-on channels and other paid content...

CC

post #2364 of 2368 Old 05-16-2017, 09:50 AM

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 2889 Post(s)
Liked: 3247
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post
Watched episode 2 of American Gods tonight on my Starz sub and the black levels looked wonky (two different devices). When it was letterbox on the slave ship the bars were glowing, and most of the night shots looked bad. Must be an issue with the streaming version of that episode, the first episode was nothing like that.
I watched Episode 2 on one of the Starz channels, via Cox Tulsa, and thought it looked pretty good. I'm still enjoying the show, primarily because of its stellar ensemble cast and its writing, which usually is able to spin the weird stuff that happens into an interesting narrative.

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Sonamp 2-1 2channel 100W power amp; Crestron Control System; 2 Rythmik FV18 subwoofers, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player; Mac Mini HTPC. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR
post #2365 of 2368 Old 05-16-2017, 10:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I love the show.
post #2366 of 2368 Old 05-16-2017, 11:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:

Syfy is going to run season 3 over 3 days starting Friday, according to my DVR recordings schedule.
post #2367 of 2368 Old 05-16-2017, 01:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Thanks for the heads-up on "12 Monkeys". I guess it wasn't in my DVR's series list, so I didn't even know it was going to be on. I haven't watched SyFy for awhile, so didn't see any ads. According to Wikipedia, there will also be a 10-episode 4th season in 2018, which will be the last.

Need help with your Motorola DVR? Check the Wikibook: How to use a Motorola DVR
post #2368 of 2368 Old Today, 05:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

For all you UHD folks, the Panny UB900 added Amazon HDR today, one of the few blu players to have Amazon HDR.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Video Download Services & Hardware