Netflix - some shows work, others don't - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 03-25-2011, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I've run into a weird issue with Netflix the past week. I have Comcast with the 12/2 speed, and am in the Chicago area. I generally watch using my Sony TV, although I also have a Sony BD Player, plus the computer. The TV/BD are hardwired, and there is an Ethernet switch, so I can actually see the data activity.

I've had the TV for a year or so now, and have rarely had a problem until the past week or so. I've been watching several old SciFi shows (Sliders, Farscape, Stargate SG-1). I'm up to season 3 on most of them.

Sometime last week, it looks like Farscape was converted from season-by-season to just one big series blob. Ever since then, I've been having major problems trying to watch.

In the past, and in tests with Sliders, the streaming is completely normal. It buffers to the limit very quickly, and I can see the switch blinking in a consistent on/off pattern as it streams.

When I try to play Farscape, it's very intermittent. The streaming is inconsistent, with frequent pauses and sudden jumps. Worse, at some point, it will stop streaming altogether. I cannot restart it no matter what. Oddly, I can run another show with no problems, then try to go back to Farscape, and it will not even start. It does the speed test, but then just hangs, although it may start to stream a tiny bit at a time.

I tried to play the problem episode on my computer, and it started right up and quickly buffered. But both the TV and BD player wouldn't even stream.

I tried several other services, including HD feeds, with no issues, so I don't think it's an internal network issue.

Any ideas? Are some shows streamed only on particular CDN's? I don't see any way to tell what CDN I am using.

Need help with your Motorola DVR? Check the Wikibook: How to use a Motorola DVR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 03-25-2011, 08:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 211
If you have a repeatable title that won't stream (even on one device) call Netflix and they will test/report the issue. Typically, it will be resolved within a few days.
post #3 of 12 Old 03-26-2011, 05:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Tried this morning, and now it's working fine. Hopefully, it was just a glitch, or that CDN isn't as overloaded on Saturday mornings.

post #4 of 12 Old 03-26-2011, 06:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

If you have a repeatable title that won't stream (even on one device) call Netflix and they will test/report the issue. Typically, it will be resolved within a few days.

I have been reporting for several weeks that MI-5 seasons 3, 6 & 7 won't play for me thru tivo s3, yet I can play other hd titles which these are not.
post #5 of 12 Old 03-26-2011, 06:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billatlakegeorge View Post

I have been reporting for several weeks that MI-5 seasons 3, 6 & 7 won't play for me thru tivo s3, yet I can play other hd titles which these are not.

I just played the first episode of each volume (for a few minutes) without any issue on a TiVo Premiere.
post #6 of 12 Old 03-27-2011, 06:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I think in some cases these may depend on where you are and which CDN connection you are assigned.

post #7 of 12 Old 03-27-2011, 07:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyross63 View Post
I think in some cases these may depend on where you are and which CDN connection you are assigned.
When I had an issue streaming a certain title (only on the TiVo) I called support and we tested the two possible servers (for me) and both had issues. After a few days it was resolved.
post #8 of 12 Old 03-27-2011, 09:09 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have very similar problems with Stargate. Frequent stops. I can always restart but then it just stops again. And I also stream via Sony TV (46" XBR9). Trying to stream via BD player causes same problems. Streaming via PC is fine (including HD). I have Verizon FIOS 15/5.

As far as converting multiple seasons in one blob - same was done recently with "Married with children". When this happened it was not available via TV user interface for a couple days but now it is.
post #9 of 12 Old 03-27-2011, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 80
I had this problem on one of the Torchwood episodes, played fine on the PC, but the Roku stopped at the same spot, report it and normally you can fast forward through the bad spot, but unfortunately resume starts at the bad spot and unless you can get it fast forwarding instantly or rewinding enough to get control it will hang, in that case I restart the episode and then try to fast forward just past the bad section.
post #10 of 12 Old 03-27-2011, 02:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

I just played the first episode of each volume (for a few minutes) without any issue on a TiVo Premiere.

I had great luck with MI - 5 episodes 1,2 & 4 but no luck with 3, 6 & 7. I called customer service and they said episode 3 was a known issue but not 6 & 7, he said it should take a few days to a week to fix, 2 weeks ago. I tried again today, doesn't work.
post #11 of 12 Old 03-27-2011, 04:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billatlakegeorge View Post
I had great luck with MI - 5 episodes 1,2 & 4 but no luck with 3, 6 & 7. I called customer service and they said episode 3 was a known issue but not 6 & 7, he said it should take a few days to a week to fix, 2 weeks ago. I tried again today, doesn't work.
Are you talking about episodes or volumes (seasons)? I just tried...
  • Vol 1 - episode 3 (scanned twenty minites or so)
  • Vol 3 - episode 1 & 10
  • Vol 6 - episode 1 & 10
  • Vol 7 - episode 1 & 8

All played fine. I didn't watch the entire episodes however just a few minutes of each. I did run into the bug when you bounce around a lot of titles you end up with no video or audio. A 10-second skip back resolves it.
post #12 of 12 Old 03-28-2011, 12:52 PM
Advanced Member

Sorry I meant Volumes 3, 6 & 7 won't play. Yet I can watch most everything else including HD
Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page