YouTube joins the fray - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 05-10-2011, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 100
In case you've been sleeping in and not checking tech news (or any other news for that matter) YouTube launched their movie rental service today. Just in time to give AT&T even more fits.

I haven't tried it and there is little information about streaming as to whether HD or not (typical of the Google "lemonade stand" model). But another article did say that Android tables with 3.1 would have HD streaming from the service. My Samsung BD player still just plays YouTube 240p streams and I'm not holding my breathe for an update and if I do if it will work bug free.

This is a PPV rental model with a 24 hour watch window not all you can eat like Netflix.

http://www.youtube.com/movies
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-10-2011, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Given the lack of them specifying (or giving an option) and the prices ($3.99 for a new release) I'm thinking it's probably SD. That's what most companies charge for SD, I believe (Vudu is $3.99 for SD, with HD at 4.99 and HDX at 5.99).

They do have quite a few free offerings. I think those were there before though. About what you would expect for free, but I see a few in there I'd watch. Unlikely I'm going to use it unless they switch to HD and I can get it on my TV through a PS3 or XBOX app or something.

Oh, should also note the same library is available on Google Movies (ones rented on one service can be viewed on the other, and vice versa): http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/10/y...n-either-plat/
Quote:

Remember those 3,000 movies from Universal, Sony and Warner Bros. that were added to YouTube yesterday? Turns out, that same library is also being pushed to Google's newly announced Movies service. We learned as much during the outfit's executive Q&A session following the keynote this morning, and furthermore anything purchased / rented via Google Movies will be available to consume via YouTube, and vice-versa. Not a bad gesture!

I assume Google TV (if you have one) will have access to these.
post #3 of 8 Old 05-10-2011, 12:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 472
Looks like the new release stuff is in up to "1080p" (such as YouTube 1080p is ); at least the trailers are. It depends on the film and of course they might not have the same available resolution as the trailers (though, if not, that seems like deceptive advertising). Of course, there's no surround sound. Many, many better ways to rent streams and downloads of recent release films. They do list a bunch of free extra features, apparently drawn from what was on YouTube about the movies.

The one free thing that I tried (Supersize Me) was 360p with a handful of ad interruptions--kind of like Hulu, but not as high quality as much of Hulu.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #4 of 8 Old 05-10-2011, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It is available in other countries though where Netflix isn't. I had confirmation from some folks in Europe after I posted the link on a group.
post #5 of 8 Old 05-10-2011, 04:34 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Why is it that all of the big boys' and little boys' offerings all make my yawn? I'll just keep my Netflix, thank-you very much!
post #6 of 8 Old 05-11-2011, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

They need to learn about aspect ratios as the one free horror film I watched had cars driving on oval tires and actors who must have fasted before filming. IOW, it was a "scope" film presented as 16:9 when it needed to be 21:9. And the app on my BD player will need an update as the search doesn't find the movie section.
post #7 of 8 Old 05-11-2011, 09:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Supports up to 4k resolution. That could look very lifelike if they increase pixel density.
post #8 of 8 Old 01-21-2012, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by mproper View Post

Given the lack of them specifying (or giving an option) and the prices ($3.99 for a new release) I'm thinking it's probably SD. That's what most companies charge for SD, I believe (Vudu is $3.99 for SD, with HD at 4.99 and HDX at 5.99).

They do have quite a few free offerings. I think those were there before though. About what you would expect for free, but I see a few in there I'd watch. Unlikely I'm going to use it unless they switch to HD and I can get it on my TV through a PS3 or XBOX app or something.

I assume Google TV (if you have one) will have access to these.

Has anyone actually used this service? As others have said it just seems like more of the same. The highest resolution I've seen on their website is 720p (HD) for $4.99 and 480 DVD resolution (SD) for $3.99. Is there really a 1080 offering?

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page