playstation store vs zune - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 06-01-2011, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone had a chance to sample both? My buddy uses 1080p streaming with zune on his 360 on his projector, looks pretty good. From those who have used both, which do you think is better?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-01-2011, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

The playstation store doesnt compare to zune video but vudu (on playstation via an app does). Both of those services are really close quality wise. Zune has the advantage of being a native experience on the xbox where vudu is an app on the ps3. This gives zune a more consistent feel with the rest of the dashboard and also a way to get some cross compatibility of purchased content. You can watch content on the pc and devices like windows phone 7 since its all tied to microsoft. vudu though is on more tv connected devices since its app based and not tied to a single company.
post #3 of 11 Old 06-01-2011, 09:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 743 Post(s)
Liked: 701
The one advantage of Zune over VUDU is that you can stream or download. So if you don't have the bandwidth for the highest quality HD stream, you can download the film. It might take a long time to download it, but once it's down, it will play perfectly, with no moments of image degradation due to dips in available network bandwidth. VUDU titles can only be downloaded on the original VUDU box, no longer manufactured or sold.

Last I looked PSN video is download only, isn't it? I can't recall what the quality level was, but I don't think that it was 1080p. Now that they have a player for the excellent VUDU service, I wonder why they even bother to sell video in the PSN store. (It's probable that VUDU isn't available in all markets internationally so that might be a reason).

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #4 of 11 Old 06-02-2011, 05:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Zune and Vudu are very close in comparison. The best streaming services out there today, PQ and AQ wise.

I don't really know why you'd be interested in the PSN if you have a PS3. Use Vudu and ignore the PSN. Although I suppose the selection is probably different between the two services.

If you're worried about bandwidth for Vudu, you can view the trailers or (I think) watch the first 2 minutes of any movie for free. That will give you some quality indicators that you can expect.
post #5 of 11 Old 06-02-2011, 10:27 AM
KLJ

Liked: 11
vudu is the bomb..

that is all
post #6 of 11 Old 06-03-2011, 10:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Vudu could be better on the PS3 if Sony ever fixed the PS3 so it could output 24fps/DD+ bitstreaming on non-Blu-Ray sources. I don't think they will though.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #7 of 11 Old 06-05-2011, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter

I signed up for Vudu because they gave me a 5.99 credit. I did a speed test and it streams at HDX but it's at the lowest end of HDX. They only gave me an option to stream though, and i'd rather download if I can't stream the highest quality. Is there something i'm missing to be able to download rentals?
post #8 of 11 Old 06-05-2011, 10:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartangtr View Post

Is there something i'm missing to be able to download rentals?

An original VUDU box, no longer manufacturered or sold . AFAIK, all of the VUDU players embedded in other devices are streaming-only. (EDIT: I'm wrong--you can still find a new VUDU player from a few e-tailers; see this).

As I said before, it's the one big advantage that Zune service has over VUDU. You can download and still get the best quality even if your bandwidth is too crappy for decent streaming.

post #9 of 11 Old 07-10-2011, 01:45 AM

My vote is for vudu
post #10 of 11 Old 11-27-2012, 02:09 PM

New to the forums so forgive me if this has already been answered! I've been wondering about the quality of XBL's rental service vs PSN's, as well. Just dipping into digital rentals on consoles and want to know what's the best. I'm interested in downloading the movies and not streaming them, because my connection isn't good enough for streaming. One thing about XBL rentals is that they're larger than PSN's.

For example:

BRAVE
XBL: 6.5 GB
PSN: 4.3 GB

AMAZING SPIDERMAN
XBL: 9.2 GB
PSN: 6.1 GB

PARANORMAN
XBL: 6.4 GB
PSN: 4.3 GB

So, what I really want to know is does bigger mean better as far as these rentals go? Why are XBL's rentals a couple of gigs more than PSN's?

Your help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
post #11 of 11 Old 11-27-2012, 02:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorformat View Post

So, what I really want to know is does bigger mean better as far as these rentals go? Why are XBL's rentals a couple of gigs more than PSN's?

HD downloads on the Xbox are 1080p at approximately 10 Mbps; I don't know about PSN, but I'm guessing that they're 720p. The Xbox downloads are about as good as you'll find online, other than VUDU which are 1080p at 9 Mbps. You might want to try VUDU movies downloaded to the PS3 (the Xbox has 1080p VUDU, but I don't think that you can download to that platform yet). With VUDU you can rent 720p for a dollar less than 1080p; Xbox HD is always 1080p, rented/sold for the same price as VUDU HDX (some older Xbox titles might be 720p-only, costing less).

Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page