Poll: Do you Buy or Stream your movies? - Page 2 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Do you prefer streaming or buying your movies?
I only buy my movies so I can watch them at anytime with no hassles 0 0%
I only stream my movies, it's easier, cheaper 0 0%
I do a mix of both, whichever is convenient 0 0%
I'd like to stream but bandwidth is too slow/expensive 0 0%
I stream now but may change if they cap the bandwidth or raise the rates 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 57 Old 09-28-2011, 02:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 925 Post(s)
Liked: 749
There are very few films that I can enjoy watching more than once every 3 years--I need for enough time to past that the details have grown dim. If I really enjoyed a film I might watch it a few times in the months immediately after my first viewing and there are a tiny handful of films which, for unknown reasons, I can enjoy watching if I should run across them every few months (Serenity was the last of those). In any case, back when I collected discs I found that I wasn't watching them, at all, so I stopped collecting; that was probably 7 years ago.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 57 Old 09-28-2011, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I do a little of everything. I've had Netflix since 11/99, and a streaming TV since last early 2010 (I tried streaming on the computer, but it's too uncomfortable.) I still rent disks (BD now) for many movies. I also buy some that I really like. Most of my streaming has been for old TV shows (almost done with Farscape), but do have the occasional movie.

Need help with your Motorola DVR? Check the Wikibook: How to use a Motorola DVR
post #33 of 57 Old 09-28-2011, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 16
A little of everything, but mostly rent and buy. Streaming old TV shows is fine, otherwise I'd rather have the actual discs for better quality and extra features (which seldom make it to streaming availability).

Anything I buy also gets ripped to share all over the house via AppleTV2's. For event movies it's BR-only (and usually owned, occasionally rented), but for rom-coms and the like (including pretty much anything my wife wants to watch), the AppleTV is more than adequate.
post #34 of 57 Old 09-28-2011, 09:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Somewhat OT, but for anyone looking for a place to dump their stack of discs that are unwatched and just taking up space (as a couple of people have mentioned) please consider donating to your local library. Most libraries loan (or rent at a very low rate) DVDs & BRs and they are usually very happy to get new donations.

-Suntan
post #35 of 57 Old 09-28-2011, 09:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I've never bothered with streaming. It's just not up to the quality I expect watching movies and shows on my home theater system yet. I rent about 75% of the movies I watch at home and buy 25%.
post #36 of 57 Old 09-29-2011, 07:29 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm not sure if any of the poll's options fit me. My BW is fast enough, but I have a 5GB a day cap to contend with. With that in mind, never have streamed, since I'm assuming it wouldn't take too many dvds to use up 5 GB.
post #37 of 57 Old 09-29-2011, 07:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 679
stream / rent

As a former movie collector, when BD came out I just got fed up with collecting .. if I had all the cash I'd spent going back to Beta / VHS / LaserDisc, I'd have some real money ..

At this point, although I have retained my DVD collection and selectively added a few BD's that are just a must have, I see no compelling reason to continue to collect physical media ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #38 of 57 Old 09-29-2011, 12:38 PM

I rent BD movies, never buy them. I only watch a movie one time, thus no need to purchase. I find streaming Netflix to a 138" cinemascope screen generally sucks, especially since almost nothing on Netflix streaming is in scope format.
post #39 of 57 Old 09-29-2011, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I keep hearing the war drum that buying discs/movies are a waste of money but people spend $3+ on a cup of coffee/latte & $20-50 on a single meal.
Those just get "wasted" in the "end."

How about wasting $100 for shoes when a $20 pair will do the same.
Using Premium gas when Regular will do.
Buying an i7 Processor PC or Apple computer for web browsing purposes.
$1000 watch when a $20 watch works just as well.

As humans, most will find something else to "waste" their money on if they are skimping on disc purchases.

To each their own.

post #40 of 57 Old 09-29-2011, 01:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I haven't heard anyone criticize others for buying discs--it's your money. I'm sure that most of us "waste" funds on things that we just enjoy owning and having available even if we never use them. Some of us just don't get any satisfaction from owning a pile of discs that we never use .

post #41 of 57 Old 09-29-2011, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

I haven't heard anyone criticize others for buying discs--it's your money. I'm sure that most of us "waste" funds on things that we just enjoy owning and having available even if we never use them. Some of us just don't get any satisfaction from owning a pile of discs that we never use .

I guess it's like that Bow Flex sitting in the corner eh?

post #42 of 57 Old 09-29-2011, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntan View Post

Somewhat OT, but for anyone looking for a place to dump their stack of discs that are unwatched and just taking up space (as a couple of people have mentioned) please consider donating to your local library. Most libraries loan (or rent at a very low rate) DVDs & BRs and they are usually very happy to get new donations.

-Suntan

I take them Half-Price Books and get anywhere from $1-3 for each disc/DVD/blu-ray/HD DVD.

post #43 of 57 Old 09-30-2011, 05:58 AM

Ditto for me as its a waste of time buying movies since most movies I only want to watch once and some I regret watching it period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed32 View Post

Rent and stream, never buy.

post #44 of 57 Old 09-30-2011, 10:43 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42Plasmaman View Post

I keep hearing the war drum that buying discs/movies are a waste of money but people spend $3+ on a cup of coffee/latte & $20-50 on a single meal.
Those just get "wasted" in the "end."

How about wasting $100 for shoes when a $20 pair will do the same.
Using Premium gas when Regular will do.
Buying an i7 Processor PC or Apple computer for web browsing purposes.
$1000 watch when a $20 watch works just as well.

As humans, most will find something else to "waste" their money on if they are skimping on disc purchases.

To each their own.

Absolutely. Lots of people like to collect stuff. I didn't buy many DVDs but I do enjoy collecting BDs since the AQ and PQ is superior to streaming and I do like to watch movies more than once. Maybe some of you here can retain everything in a movie the first time but I can't--I enjoy the second or third viewing for many movies--and some movies like Sucker Punch and Hanna, I watch over and over. It really doesn't add up to that much especially considering that many of the BDs I have cost under $10 on Amazon.

Bob

post #45 of 57 Old 09-30-2011, 11:22 AM

That was all that was needed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42Plasmaman View Post

To each their own.

post #46 of 57 Old 09-30-2011, 11:28 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 25
The only movies I buy are ones for my kids (CGI ones), I used to buy all the movies at blockbuster when they went for 4 or 5 for $20 but then i found myself NEVER watching any of them and sold all of them. I'll still buy a movie here of there on blu ray thats a BIG summer blockbuster or classic like LOTR or Star Wars but the typical run of the mill nah.
post #47 of 57 Old 09-30-2011, 11:36 AM

Liked: 13
I still buy - Blu-ray for movies I want the PQ/AQ on. DVD's if they're cheap and something I may not really like. It's about $4 to view a movie On Demand for me. I've gotten some DVD's from the bargain bin for $2.

We tried streaming Netflix, but the choice and quality were poor, as well as the browser (in my wife's opinion.)

I have a couple of Popcorn Hours and a movie server, so I kind of get the best of both worlds.

For me, PQ/AQ matter, so I'll go with the best source.
post #48 of 57 Old 09-30-2011, 01:04 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Partyslammer View Post

I've never bothered with streaming. It's just not up to the quality I expect watching movies and shows on my home theater system yet. I rent about 75% of the movies I watch at home and buy 25%.

You must try Vudu HDX if your Internet connection is fast enough (mine is 15MB and it is sufficient).
post #49 of 57 Old 09-30-2011, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 57
My problem is that my DSL line is limited to 1.5Mbps (yes... that is correct). With that type of limited bandwidth, I do not foresee any streaming of any sort on my end. To download HD, I need at least a steady 5Mbps download.

I could go to cable but they want $130/month for 10Mbps including my single HD TV hookup.

std cable $50
cable box $ 6
digital $11
Internet $37
DVR $11
HD $ 7
total $122+ tax...

This is for Time Warner... at a discounted price!!!
If I take out internet, cable alone is $102 total, a $20 savings only because I lose the combo discount, plus they are considering capping the bandwidth at 200GB/month.

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
post #50 of 57 Old 09-30-2011, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon S View Post

My problem is that my DSL line is limited to 1.5Mbps (yes... that is correct). With that type of limited bandwidth, I do not foresee any streaming of any sort on my end. To download HD, I need at least a steady 5Mbps download.

I could go to cable but they want $130/month for 10Mbps including my single HD TV hookup.

std cable $50
cable box $ 6
digital $11
Internet $37
DVR $11
HD $ 7
total $122+ tax...

This is for Time Warner... at a discounted price!!!
If I take out internet, cable alone is $102 total, a $20 savings only because I lose the combo discount, plus they are considering capping the bandwidth at 200GB/month.

You're looking at it backwards. You don't need to switch to Cable TV from whatever you're using now to switch your internet connection (only) from DSL to Cable.

Time Warner internet-only cable line (which actually includes unencrypted basic cable, no box) is ~$45/mo, none of those extra fees apply when you're not using it for actual TV.

Yes, it costs more than your average DSL line, but MUCH better performance.

I have DirecTV for my television needs... but still pay for cable internet from TW since DSL in my area blows.
post #51 of 57 Old 10-01-2011, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeschmoe007 View Post

You must try Vudu HDX if your Internet connection is fast enough (mine is 15MB and it is sufficient).

Why? It costs more, and offers less, than a BD rental from Redbox.
post #52 of 57 Old 10-02-2011, 09:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcantu1 View Post

i do both. if i care what it looks/sounds like i'll buy or rent it. otherwise i'll stream...

+1, but also if we like it enough that we believe we'll watch it multiple times in the future.

If we really like it, we'll pay full price. If we just kind of like it, but believe we'll watch it again, we'll wait for it to hit a $7 sale or the $5 bin.

We're having to get more selective. The wall cases designated for DVD/BD storage are full. Over-full, actually. Time to start thinking about eBay'ing/Amazon'ing the ones we watched only once and probably won't watch again.

Jim
post #53 of 57 Old 10-02-2011, 10:11 AM

Redbox $1 rental. I can bike over to the box, so I get some exercise along with the movie.
post #54 of 57 Old 10-02-2011, 11:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikingfan View Post

Why? It costs more, and offers less, than a BD rental from Redbox.

The one thing that the BD rental from Redbox doesn't offer and the rental from VUDU does is convenience. I can see an ad for a movie that's just out on disc, decide that I want to see it, now, and be watching it in less than a minute (I just timed it--I said to myself, "Oooh, I wanna see Thor!", and was watching its trailer on VUDU in 43 seconds, despite having to back out of the Amazon app on my BD player first ). I don't have to find my street shoes and put them on or get into my car and drive (or walk--there are Redbox kiosks I've never used in front of a Ralph's, about a half mile away), only to find that the box is all out of what I want, because it's new and everybody wants to see it. VUDU is never "out" of anything . When I'm done, I don't have to take it back (or remember to do it). The convenience is well worth the extra cash to me in time saved and one less errand to remember to run. Your mileage may vary.

post #55 of 57 Old 10-02-2011, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

Your mileage may vary.

Mine does, I get much better mileage than you . On average, I watch 15 to 20 movies a month via Blockbuster By Mail which cost $16.99 a month for 3-At-A-Time. The same would cost me $90.00 to $120.00 from VUDU. The only downside is one must suffer through the labor of having to walk to the mailbox.
post #56 of 57 Old 10-02-2011, 05:22 PM

Liked: 13
I buy. One advantage I forgot to mention to is that I get to watch scenes whenever I want to. For example. I have only watched The Hurt Locker all the way through once. I've watched the "sniper" scene at least three times. My kids and I also enjoy re-viewing "Dug's" entrance in Up.
post #57 of 57 Old 10-02-2011, 05:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post

Mine does, I get much better mileage than you . On average, I watch 15 to 20 movies a month via Blockbuster By Mail which cost $16.99 a month for 3-At-A-Time. The same would cost me $90.00 to $120.00 from VUDU. The only downside is one must suffer through the labor of having to walk to the mailbox.

Given your high rate of consumption, that's definitely a better deal and VUDU would be prohibitive. I save some money on VUDU by keeping abreast of the daily 99 cent deals and buying them when ones pop up that I'm interested in--I can take up to 30 days to watch. Blockbuster-by-mail also won't necessarily satisfy your wim to see the latest and greatest stuff whenever you want.

Besides, I wasn't comparing VUDU to disc-by-mail, but to disc-by-getting-up-and-going-to-a-kiosk-or-store .

Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page