Poll: Do you Buy or Stream your movies? - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Do you prefer streaming or buying your movies?
I only buy my movies so I can watch them at anytime with no hassles 0 0%
I only stream my movies, it's easier, cheaper 0 0%
I do a mix of both, whichever is convenient 0 0%
I'd like to stream but bandwidth is too slow/expensive 0 0%
I stream now but may change if they cap the bandwidth or raise the rates 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 57 Old 09-27-2011, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Sorry, but I could not figure out where to post this thread...

Basically, I was wondering, do you prefer streaming your video to your home or do you buy your videos for home use?

Secondly, if service providers implement caps on bandwidth or raise their rates to a tiered structure (as some are planning), would that affect your decision?

According to cable companies, Netflix alone now uses ~30% of the internet bandwidth in the U.S. That's why ComCast and AT&T are planning to cap usage to 250GB/month.

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 57 Old 09-27-2011, 05:52 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
i do both. if i care what it looks/sounds like i'll buy or rent it. otherwise i'll stream...
post #3 of 57 Old 09-27-2011, 06:06 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
I buy or rent BD's, quality over quantity for me.
post #4 of 57 Old 09-27-2011, 06:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
75% of what i watch in our movie room is via netflix streaming - i have streamed HD vudu that looks great. I usually only buy bd if it is a striking movie to begin with -
post #5 of 57 Old 09-27-2011, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 158
To a large degree streaming is not about movies... rather TV series, etc. The ability to instantly stream an endless number of episodes is very seductive.
post #6 of 57 Old 09-27-2011, 07:54 PM
Advanced Member

I voted streaming only, but I do buy the rare BR disc. I also get one disc through Netflix, so that keeps me up to date on newer movies I want to check out, but I would have to say 95% of what I watch anymore is streamed.

I'm assuming question #1 refers to physical discs, but it is also possible to buy movies for streaming at your convenience, so the question is a bit ambiguous.
post #7 of 57 Old 09-27-2011, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 35
We purchase and rent blu-ray for movies.
Use streaming(Netflix & Amazon) to watch catalog TV shows, iPhone on the go and an occasional movie we would probably never rent... Like Buried...

We've streamed 3 VuDu HDx movies this years. PQ is not bad but I've only done this if I missed a new release shipment from Block Buster and really wanted to see the movie and Netflix/qwickster/Redbox didn't have it due to their delayed release.

post #8 of 57 Old 09-27-2011, 08:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 459
I only buy or rent the occasional demo quality BD--for 98% of everything, available HD streams and downloads are fine. I'm addicted to the convenience; I've resolved not to play video games until they're available as downloads (don't play online multiplayer).

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #9 of 57 Old 09-28-2011, 05:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Rent and stream, never buy.
post #10 of 57 Old 09-28-2011, 05:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by joed32 View Post

Same here, well I do buy whenever I can find five BD's at BBV when they run their 5 for $20 used movie sale.

Doesn't make sense for me. 95% of movies I've watched are only good for 1 - 2 viewings (sometimes not even that ). Why buy something that's only going to collect dust?
post #11 of 57 Old 09-28-2011, 05:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
No category for me to vote in this poll. I primarily rent BDs but also buy a BD occasionally and stream occasionally from Netflix or Vudu.

The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out.
post #12 of 57 Old 09-28-2011, 05:57 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 42
Buy BDs, allows me to always have something on my shelf to watch to fit taste at the time when I have time. I like to have the highest quality available for any given title.

Art

My HT

iRule rules my theater

"If she's amazing she won't be easy,if she's easy she won't be amazing"

Bob Marley

post #13 of 57 Old 09-28-2011, 06:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Rent/stream.

Rent BRs for big movies. Stream TV shows and lesser movies/comedies.

Also, fwiw I tend to buffer the disc rentals. I usually have about 5 or 6 rented BRs ripped to the HD so we have a selection when we feel like sitting down for a good movie (not to mention getting rid of the completely outrageous amount of FBI/forced trailers.) After watching I delete. Morally grey to some, but I have no qualms about it as we don't keep the copies. It is extremely rare that we have a desire to watch a movie more than once, but in that circumstance, I'm fine with just having Netflix mail it to me again. I don't understand the desire to buy/own copies of movies indefinitely, none are worth the shelf/HDD space or cost, imo.

-Suntan
post #14 of 57 Old 09-28-2011, 06:38 AM
Advanced Member

rent and stream. I'm not a movie collector or buyer and only own a small handful of movies.
post #15 of 57 Old 09-28-2011, 06:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I picked, I do both, But if a movie comes out that really shines and is a real interest to me then I will buy.
post #16 of 57 Old 09-28-2011, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed32 View Post

Same.... I do own 2 bd's for demo purposes. Zune 1080p for new releases (makes em tolerable with their point cards go on sale... $40 for $50 worth of ms points) and netflix/hulu for the older stuff and tv shows.

I had been using netflix for rental bd's but dropped that off with the price hike.
post #17 of 57 Old 09-28-2011, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Where is the rent option?

I only rent and stream. While I bought 750+ dvds, I've only bought one BD (Wall-E at $27). Well, more accurately, my wife bought it and I proceeded to yell about it. I need to yell at her again since we've had it for 2 years and watched it 3 times. Yep, $9/view. That sounds about right, and money well spent

Anyways, I consider buying a huge waste of _my_ money. I don't care if other people do, but it's not for me.

Mentioned earlier I bought 750+ DVDs. Watched ~15 of those more than once, and maybe ~8 more than twice. I think I have ~3 or 4 I've seen more than that. Dust-gatherers, and I've offloaded as many as I've been able to. I'm over "collecting" movies.
post #18 of 57 Old 09-28-2011, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

I'm addicted to the convenience; I've resolved not to play video games until they're available as downloads (don't play online multiplayer).

Get a gaming pc. Everything is available via downloads on the pc. I hate the thought of not actually owning what I bought. But I will buy a pc download game if it's on sale for some crazy cheap price (like a couple of years ago when MS "re-launched" the GFW Marketplace, I bought AOE III w/ both expansions, Max Payne 2, S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: SOC and Deus Ex Gold for a total of $3.26!). And they all work perfect on my Win7 rig and Win7 laptop.
post #19 of 57 Old 09-28-2011, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mproper View Post

Where is the rent option?

I only rent and stream. While I bought 750+ dvds, I've only bought one BD (Wall-E at $27). Well, more accurately, my wife bought it and I proceeded to yell about it. I need to yell at her again since we've had it for 2 years and watched it 3 times. Yep, $9/view. That sounds about right, and money well spent

Anyways, I consider buying a huge waste of _my_ money. I don't care if other people do, but it's not for me.

Mentioned earlier I bought 750+ DVDs. Watched ~15 of those more than once, and maybe ~8 more than twice. I think I have ~3 or 4 I've seen more than that. Dust-gatherers, and I've offloaded as many as I've been able to. I'm over "collecting" movies.

I am trying to get there as well. I have over 1000 movies. I can only estimate how many have been watched more than once- probably 50%, more than twice- less than 25%. I am about to dump all of mine just to clear up space. My wife and I were both shocked at how much our "price per view" likely is. We used to buy a ton of kids' movies and watch them on trips. Now that the kids are older, we pick up Redbox on trips and I take my laptop with me when I travel for Netflix.

However, the "collector" bug is hard to shake.

Living the HT Dream...now in 4D.
post #20 of 57 Old 09-28-2011, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrimore View Post

I am trying to get there as well. I have over 1000 movies. I can only estimate how many have been watched more than once- probably 50%, more than twice- less than 25%. I am about to dump all of mine just to clear up space. My wife and I were both shocked at how much our "price per view" likely is. We used to buy a ton of kids' movies and watch them on trips. Now that the kids are older, we pick up Redbox on trips and I take my laptop with me when I travel for Netflix.

My price per Netflix rental (discs+streaming) is 70 cents. At that rate, I'd have to watch even a cheap $10 Blu-ray around 15 times to get my money's worth and be in the "green" over just renting it multiple times.

Yeah, there's something to be said for convenience of course (which is where streaming comes in for me).

I don't know how many times I've looked through my "collection" and just said "F it....let's just stream something we haven't seen."

I probably have a few kid's movies that we've seen quite a few times (like Toy Story or Finding Nemo) though.
post #21 of 57 Old 09-28-2011, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 52
  • Buy Blu-ray movies that have repeat viewing value (309 titles/series as of 09/28/2011)
  • Rent Blu-ray titles via Blockbuster (formerly with Netflix)[there was no rental option]
  • Record 8 different shows from CBS weekly [there was no OTA option]
  • Record various shows from PBS weekly via satellite [there was no satellite option]
  • On occasion will stream an old serial show from Crackle or Hulu on the computer, I would never burn lamp time on streaming.

Most everything except streaming is high quality HD with 5.1 or 7.1 sound. Some PBS show are Dolby Surround only.
post #22 of 57 Old 09-28-2011, 09:12 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
I'm still figuring things out--and I do both.

I buy pretty much all of my BDs from Amazon--I'm a Prime member so it is the easiest way. I have been buying mostly older titles I want in my collection and pick them up when I see a price drop. I also preorder a few--the ones I really want.

Some I watch on Netflix--ones that I'm not sure I want to buy. A few older titles in BD but mostly newer titles. I have the one disc at home option.

I also have the Netflix streaming option and am not sure yet how valuable it is for me. I use it mostly for TV shows--watching Breaking Bad now. Also a few movies if they look interesting.

I have also used Amazon Prime streaming--but no much yet. I use Amazon streaming mostly on PPV for both TV shows I missed or new movies I want to watch that I can't seem to get fast enough from Netflix

I also stream PPV movies and TV shows from iTunes--same story as Amazon-just a different option.

Bob

post #23 of 57 Old 09-28-2011, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritfox View Post

watching Breaking Bad now.

Me too! Only about 6 eps into it though. With TV shows alone, I probably have more hours of entertainment queued up in Netflix than my DVR will record over the next few months. And that doesn't count the 100+ movies I have in there.

I really need to cut the cord.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post

[list][*]Buy Blu-ray movies that have repeat viewing value (309 titles/series as of 09/28/2011)

I'm seriously not picking, but are you really watching 309 of these repeatedly? Even if you watched one a day, it would take a year to rewatch that collection once (assuming the "series" portion of the collection would eat up the remaining days of the year, I mean). That's when I looked at my 750+ DVD collection and realized I'll never go through it and rewatch that many movies. Each to their own, of course. I'm just always surprised when people have hundreds and hundreds of discs and their collection that they claim to watch repeatedly. Apparently people have more time than me, I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post

• On occasion will stream an old serial show from Crackle or Hulu on the computer, I would never burn lamp time on streaming.
Most everything except streaming is high quality HD with 5.1 or 7.1 sound. Some PBS show are Dolby Surround only.

Well, obviously if you're only streaming from Crackle or Hulu, you're not going to waste lamp time and it's not going to be high quality. Guess you're just sticking to free sources?
post #24 of 57 Old 09-28-2011, 09:35 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon S View Post

Sorry, but I could not figure out where to post this thread...

Basically, I was wondering, do you prefer streaming your video to your home or do you buy your videos for home use?

Secondly, if service providers implement caps on bandwidth or raise their rates to a tiered structure (as some are planning), would that affect your decision?

According to cable companies, Netflix alone now uses ~30% of the internet bandwidth in the U.S. That's why ComCast and AT&T are planning to cap usage to 250GB/month.

I purchase my movies. I like bass and the sweet sound my speakers make while playing DTS Master Audio.

X-Box Live name: OGgamer1974

If you want to be friends on through xbox network, just send me a request through X-Box Live and mention AVS in the request.

Cheers
post #25 of 57 Old 09-28-2011, 09:42 AM

Purchase only.

Streaming movies with a Hughes.net/DirecTV connection? Impossible!

I blame it all on Famous Monsters of Filmland!
post #26 of 57 Old 09-28-2011, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Rent and stream for me, I will buy a BD if it's a classic that I can watch over and over. Right now I only own about a dozen BD's.
post #27 of 57 Old 09-28-2011, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
I buy BD's then rip then to my unRAID server then stream them to my 7MC.

Really, mostly rent (now) buy big releases (I like the commentary & behind the scenes stuff) & streaming all the Anime I can stand from Netflix.

carry on with your HD-Lite Directv loving banter! <--Comedy Gold
Don't fall for the HDMI 1.3 Hype!
post #28 of 57 Old 09-28-2011, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mproper View Post

I'm seriously not picking, but are you really watching 309 of these repeatedly?

One of the reasons of having a larger collection is that one does not have to repeat a title very often. My cost per month for Blockbuster By Mail is $16.99 for 3 at-a-time, unlimited mailings. Do not have cable, subscription satellite, phone lines, etc. We have $29.99 a month internet service and $49.99 a month for 2 cell phones. Yet I have a lot of high quality HD material available to me.

We do have Amazon Prime but we have not tried out the streaming section yet.

There are several ways to purchase Blu-rays at attractive prices if one can wait to obtain a title after its release. BTW, I have several TBs (14 hard drives) worth of HD programming and several D-VHS tapes.

Quote:

Me too! Only about 6 eps into it though. With TV shows alone, I probably have more hours of entertainment queued up in Netflix than my DVR will record over the next few months. And that doesn't count the 100+ movies I have in there.

+

Apparently people have more time than me, I guess.

≠ logic

post #29 of 57 Old 09-28-2011, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altaira View Post

Streaming movies with a Hughes.net/DirecTV connection? Impossible!

Unfortunately, there are many (most) members here that live in or near large metro areas and assume most folks have access to high speed internet via cable or fiber. Its like they never have traveled USA. I live about 10 miles out from Hendersonville, NC and very fortunate to have high speed internet (8 mbps) through a small independent ISP. It works fair till we have a hard rain, thunderstorm, etc. Then it slows to below dail-up speeds or goes out completely.

I have friends that have no local service and they use WildBlue. They pay > $85.00 a month and have a 17GB cap.
post #30 of 57 Old 09-28-2011, 12:26 PM

Liked: 19
I'm a charter member of Netflix though I've had my account on hold for over a year. I found I wasn't returning the discs fast enough and the only thing I really loved on streaming was Spartacus:Blood and Sand which I eventually purchased on BD. I also wanted to get away from the monthly payments with Netflix. Payments I had to make whether I used the service a little or a lot.The movies I purchased are movies I can watch as much as I want with no time limit or pressure to watch right away. Between BD, DVD and HD DVD I own almost everything I want except a handful of catalog titles and the occasional new release.I've found that buying movies works out best for me.
Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page