TVAndMoviesNow.com: Streaming Video Search Engine Extraordinaire! - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 84 Old 01-19-2012, 08:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It seems that Netflix is no longer keeping the website nor the streamer application data up to date on HD/5.1/CC. Will the method you are using still work?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 84 Old 01-19-2012, 11:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankhj View Post

It seems that Netflix is no longer keeping the website nor the streamer application data up to date on HD/5.1/CC. Will the method you are using still work?

On what do you base that observation? I've run across a few titles that have 5.1 sound and/or HD encodings that don't show up as such on TVandMoviesNow.com or the Roku 2's interface which do show up as having those in other interfaces (like my Panasonic BD player's Viera Connect Netflix app). One example is Trollhunter, which has HD encodings and available 5.1 sound but neither feature shows up on Roku 2, HD shows up on TV&MN and both show up on the BDT110 and PS3 (correction--it once did show up that way, but now none of the device browsers show those attributes for the title). HD doesn't matter so much, since it'll get to the HD resolutions whether the description mentions it or not, but 5.1 sound matters a lot more, inasmuch as you can't select it if the player doesn't know about it.

EDIT: Upon examination it looks as if their metadata is more screwed up than before. For example, Trollhunter doesn't show up as being either in HD or 5.1 on the PS3, but when you play it the PS3 plays the 5.1 soundtrack. Monsters also doesn't show up as 5.1 or HD in any of my interfaces, but a "Audio and Subtitles" menu is accessible for it on the Roku 2 (only) from which you can choose 5.1 sound and English subs both of which work; TV&MN shows Monsters as having HD encodings and 5.1 sound. If you go to TV&MN and search for 5.1 Netflix titles you get 554 hits, which seems about right.

These have got to be problems on Netflix's end.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -- hookbill
post #33 of 84 Old 01-20-2012, 09:07 AM

When I say the Netflix website I am not talking about TVandMoviesNow, but the description on the Netflix site.

Something really weird is going on. Right now I cannot find anything with the Panasonic BD player's Viera Connect Netflix app that plays 5.1 sound or CC. Trollhunter with the Panasonic will NOT play 5.1 right now, but it will play DD with the Apple TV even though it does not say it in the description like it used to.

The titles in your search engine as CC do still work with the Apple TV, but again do not show up in the description on the Apple TV.
post #34 of 84 Old 01-20-2012, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Obviously Netflix's metadata database is whack. I'll take a look at the Netflixhelps Twitter feed and see if they mention it.

"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -- hookbill
post #35 of 84 Old 01-20-2012, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I checked Netflixhelps' tweets--lots of complaints, particularly from closed-caption users (like 5.1 sound, if the player doesn't know that it's there it doesn't offer a menu for turning it on). They're looking into the issue.

"
" -- hookbill
post #36 of 84 Old 01-21-2012, 10:22 AM

It looks like they have it straightened out now.
post #37 of 84 Old 01-21-2012, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

It looks like they have it straightened out now.

I don't know about that--their web site is still only showing 894 HD titles (22 pages of 40 plus 14 on a 23rd page) when it should list somewhere around 4000. EDIT: I just checked and it's just as screwed up on my PS3, BDT110 and Roku 2.

"
" -- hookbill
post #38 of 84 Old 01-22-2012, 11:10 AM
Advanced Member

I noticed that movies that I started but shelved for later that were close captioned are now not close captioned. I called Netflix and they said it is a known problem and that they were working on it. As of last night I still did not see a menu item for close captioning on any movie.

This is with the PS3,
post #39 of 84 Old 01-22-2012, 04:50 PM

Missed this discussion. Anyway...

There's lots of strange things going on.
On the Apple TV one minute it says a title is in HD and Dolby. The next minute its not. Food Inc was listed in HD/5.1 and now it says "standard definition" a few minutes later. It appears the closed captions badge has disappeared from Apple TV in its entirety. However, when I play a surround sound title it is outputting in Dolby Digital 5.1. The captions options are available if you hold down the select button on the remote (but you're its a guess if there's captions or not).

Looks like there's similar problems on the Roku. On Battlestar Galactica season 4, the Roku no longer gives me options to select closed captions or subtitles.

I see what I can find out.

Facta Non Verba!

post #40 of 84 Old 01-22-2012, 04:55 PM

Quote:

From what I can see, this problem has not manifested in the data feed I receive (or any third-party web developer) from Netflix. Keep mind, there's more than one version of the feed developers can access so I don't know if it's a problem in the other versions.

As Michael referenced, the total counts of HD and surround titles currently listed by TVandMoviesNow is consistant with Netflix's recent historical numbers.

The other thing I've learned from this is that Netflix must be generating different sets of meta-data for different devices. You would think all of the HTML5 devices would use the same set but maybe not (Michael stated he was seeing different results on the Panasonic player vs. the PS3). Or it could be different servers feeding different devices. It would interesting to know.

Facta Non Verba!

post #41 of 84 Old 01-27-2012, 07:08 AM

Version .22 of TVandMoviesNOW.com is now available!

New features:
- Search by Genre
- Added Release Year to title details. Images are now clickable
- Added Advanced button to simplify the interface among other tweaks

It's new so let me know if you run into any bugs or problems. Thanks!

http://www.tvandmoviesnow.com/

Facta Non Verba!

post #42 of 84 Old 01-27-2012, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerOne View Post

Version .22 of TVandMoviesNOW.com is now available!

New features:
- Search by Genre
- Added Release Year to title details. Images are now clickable
- Added Advanced button to simplify the interface among other tweaks

It's new so let me know if you run into any bugs or problems. Thanks!

http://www.tvandmoviesnow.com/

Looks good. I was wondering where the genre search was until I spotted the check box for 'Advanced'. Typo with Comedy BTW.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #43 of 84 Old 01-27-2012, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Looks good (interesting that if you leave "www." off the url you get the old version). Perhaps instead of "Advanced" you could label it "More Options" or "Options, Filters and Genres" or state "Click 'Advanced' for more options and filters" or something.

You've added release year to the title descriptions, something that I requested. It would be nice if you'd place it on a separate line for movies; it took me a minute to see at the end of the duration ("101 minutes 1999 R"). If you're going to put them all on the same line, list the year and rating first, which is what the Netflix site does (it'd be cool if you could get those little ratings icons ).

"
" -- hookbill
post #44 of 84 Old 01-27-2012, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

Looks good (interesting that if you leave "www." off the url you get the old version). Perhaps instead of "Advanced" you could label it "More Options" or "Options, Filters and Genres" or state "Click 'Advanced' for more options and filters" or something.

Makes sense. I'll try out a few things to make it more obvious. Also, refreshing your cache should get rid of the old version on tvandmoviesnow.com

Quote:

You've added release year to the title descriptions, something that I requested. It would be nice if you'd place it on a separate line for movies; it took me a minute to see at the end of the duration ("101 minutes 1999 R"). If you're going to put them all on the same line, list the year and rating first, which is what the Netflix site does (it'd be cool if you could get those little ratings icons ).

The year is first now. Once again, I'll see if I can spiffy up that area and add the Netflix ratings in. I've noticed there's an issue with the Amazon data where it doesn't have the year as well as few other fields. More to come...

Facta Non Verba!

post #45 of 84 Old 01-27-2012, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Year first is a lot better--it'd be better still if there were some kind of definitive separator between them. Maybe " - " or " | ".

It's changing back to the default sort order between searches again. It might be nice if the "Advanced" option remained visible until I deselect them. "Unlimited" is mispelled for "Exclusive Unlimited Titles", but only on the top page.

It'd be very cool if multiple genres could be specified simultaneously. This might be asking too much .

"
" -- hookbill
post #46 of 84 Old 01-28-2012, 10:47 AM

Ok. Cleaned a few things up. Renamed the Advanced checkbox. Added some separators to the year, running time and rating. Neither Michael nor I can reproduce the sort issue so we're good there too.

I would like to maintain the state of "More Options" page to page but that's going to take a little more work.

Facta Non Verba!

post #47 of 84 Old 01-28-2012, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Looks good. "More Search Options" is much clearer than "Advanced". I think that you could maybe leave the "Type" options (TV/Movies/Both) displayed by default on the end of the line with "Primary Search" with some space separating them.

BTW, what are the two SD-only Netflix titles with surround sound? (It'd take silly negative search options to find out, like "Not HD" ).

"
" -- hookbill
post #48 of 84 Old 01-28-2012, 02:37 PM

The two titles that are in SD but have surround sound are:
Beyond the Gates of Splendor
Born to Ride

Facta Non Verba!

post #49 of 84 Old 01-29-2012, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Now that you're displaying release year, a release year sort would be much appreciated. I still go to other sites to see which titles were most recently released (as opposed to most recently added).

"
" -- hookbill
post #50 of 84 Old 02-21-2012, 09:30 AM

To help folks prioritize watching all of the expiring Netflix content at the end of the month, I've added a specialized page to the site:
http://tvandmoviesnow.com/netflix-st...ring-2012.html

It shows everything on one page and also will show you if it's also available on Amazon Prime.

Facta Non Verba!

post #51 of 84 Old 02-21-2012, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

To help folks prioritize watching all of the expiring Netflix content at the end of the month, I've added a specialized page to the site:
http://tvandmoviesnow.com/netflix-st...ring-2012.html

It shows everything on one page and also will show you if it's also available on Amazon Prime.

How about just giving us an expiration date sort like like InstantWatcher.com? (Which can also show me the stuff in my queue and sort that by expiration date so I can see what's in there that I need to watch soon if I care).

"
" -- hookbill
post #52 of 84 Old 02-21-2012, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

How about just giving us an expiration date sort like like InstantWatcher.com? (Which can also show me the stuff in my queue and sort that by expiration date so I can see what's in there that I need to watch soon if I care).

Ditto. Would love the ability to link my Netflix account (although this is probably a bit of work to add this feature). I used to use FeedFlix, but they now made the "sort by expiration" a premium feature I can still view the expiration dates, but can't sort by them, so it's kindof a hassle.

I'm switching to Instantwatcher I guess...I didn't realize they offered the functionality.

I did glance through the titles expiring, so thank you for that. Nothing I haven't seen and want to (I made sure to watch any Starz titles in my queue over the last couple of months). Granted, I will miss the SD (even if it has improved quite a bit) and frequently non-OAR offerings they had .
post #53 of 84 Old 02-21-2012, 04:18 PM

MProper and MichaelTScott,

Message received. I will do my best to get sorting by expiration date as soon as possible. Mproper, I do want to integrate with the Netflix feed down the road, it's just a matter of time.

Facta Non Verba!

post #54 of 84 Old 02-23-2012, 10:09 AM

Quote:

Sort by Expiration Date is now live! It doesn't do anything for Amazon Prime since they don't share the expiration date.

Facta Non Verba!

post #55 of 84 Old 02-23-2012, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Sort by Expiration Date is now live! It doesn't do anything for Amazon Prime since they don't share the expiration date.

Good job! Now, if we only had sort by release year life would be complete . Actually, other than connection to my Netflix account I can't think of much of anything I desperately want. (More items per page and a grid format option would be nice).

"
" -- hookbill
post #56 of 84 Old 02-24-2012, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Great! Agree with michaelscott. If I could connect my Netflix account, it would be complete (well, at least that's the only major feature left that I would want).

Being able to sort my queue by expiration date would be awesome.
post #57 of 84 Old 02-24-2012, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by mproper View Post

Great! Agree with michaelscott. If I could connect my Netflix account, it would be complete (well, at least that's the only major feature left that I would want).

Being able to sort my queue by expiration date would be awesome.

Either of those would require giving his site access to your Netflix account info - something that a hobby developer of a free service would be crazy to take on, given the risk of being accused of being involved in a security breach.

post #58 of 84 Old 02-24-2012, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philnick View Post

Either of those would require giving his site access to your Netflix account info - something that a hobby developer of a free service would be crazy to take on, given the risk of being accused of being involved in a security breach.

I don't think that's true. His site makes a request of Netflix in re your account and Netflix pops up a dialog asking if you want to give the site access. I'm sure that the dialog has wording absolving Netflix of any responsibility and I think that he can have an agreement absolving himself of any responsibility. All he gets is the ability to see the contents of your queue and the ability to put titles on it and delete stuff from it; infliction of actionable damages to you via those capabilities seems doubtful.

In any case the mechanism exists and other sites use it. I haven't heard of any suit arising from it.

"
" -- hookbill
post #59 of 84 Old 02-24-2012, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

In any case the mechanism exists and other sites use it. I haven't heard of any suit arising from it.

LOL...yeah. I have at least 5 sites (InstantWatcher, Feedfliks, Flixster, etc) and about 6 apps between my phone and iPad (Netflix Queue Manager (not affiliated with Netflix), Flixster, CineTap, etc) that all are linked to my Netflix account.

Not to mention all the various devices laying around my house that are linked and have access to my queue.
post #60 of 84 Old 04-09-2012, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 32
RangerOne, thanks for all the work on TVandMoviesNow.com. Is there any way to add searching by genre? That would make it even better. Thanks.
Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page