Should I buy a Roku 1 XDS? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 10-20-2011, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have an offer to purchase a Roku 1 xds. I am looking for affordable ways for me to get HD content on my TV. I purchased a Panasonic Plasma 1080p TV back in 2008, and never had any real HD content, so I felt it was time.

As I already have Netflix, I thought it would be worth it for me to buy a roku so that I can get HD streaming to my TV. I know that the Roku 2 and the PS3 stream 1080p (aka "HI HD"), but I'm wondering if the Roku XDS can also stream the 1080p feeds.

I know that when the XDS was advertised, it was said to be able to do so, but then I've read that the 1080p streams are only on Roku 2. Can someone please confirm whether or not I can get the 1080p streams on the XDS? Additionally, if it turns out not to be the case, should I buy it, or get a Roku2, given that there is a possibility that the company will no longer release updates to the older models.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 10-20-2011, 03:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked: 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbird3216 View Post

I have an offer to purchase a Roku 1 xds. I am looking for affordable ways for me to get HD content on my TV. I purchased a Panasonic Plasma 1080p TV back in 2008, and never had any real HD content, so I felt it was time.

As I already have Netflix, I thought it would be worth it for me to buy a roku so that I can get HD streaming to my TV. I know that the Roku 2 and the PS3 stream 1080p (aka "HI HD"), but I'm wondering if the Roku XDS can also stream the 1080p feeds.

I know that when the XDS was advertised, it was said to be able to do so, but then I've read that the 1080p streams are only on Roku 2. Can someone please confirm whether or not I can get the 1080p streams on the XDS? Additionally, if it turns out not to be the case, should I buy it, or get a Roku2, given that there is a possibility that the company will no longer release updates to the older models.

No, you cannot get 1080p, 5.1 sound or closed captions from the pre-Roku-2 Netflix channel. Roku has stated that the Roku 1 will not be updated to add those new features (pissing many Roku 1 owners off--there was a thread about it on the Roku forums, but it's now buried so I guess people got tired of carping ). The Roku 1 XDS may be capable of playing 1080p video from some other channel(s), but not Netflix.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #3 of 12 Old 10-22-2011, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

No, you cannot get 1080p, 5.1 sound or closed captions from the pre-Roku-2 Netflix channel. Roku has stated that the Roku 1 will not be updated to add those new features (pissing many Roku 1 owners off--there was a thread about it on the Roku forums, but it's now buried so I guess people got tired of carping ). The Roku 1 XDS may be capable of playing 1080p video from some other channel(s), but not Netflix.

Tired of carping? Perhaps. But Roku was quite adamant before the Roku 2 that 5.1 sound from Netflix would eventually come to be. I purchased the Roku XD earlier this year based on this promised upgrade. Both Netflix and Roku are lucky no one was motivated enough to file a class-action lawsuit against them for breach of contract. My 2 cents worth.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #4 of 12 Old 10-22-2011, 11:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post

Tired of carping? Perhaps. But Roku was quite adamant before the Roku 2 that 5.1 sound from Netflix would eventually come to be. I purchased the Roku XD earlier this year based on this promised upgrade. Both Netflix and Roku are lucky no one was motivated enough to file a class-action lawsuit against them for breach of contract. My 2 cents worth.

I'm sorry--I didn't realize that Roku had promised the sound upgrade (I only briefly peeked at the thread). I bought a Roku XD back in March, looking for an embedded Amazon player, then bought a Panasonic BD player that had Amazon and VUDU and returned the Roku. I got a Roku 2 XS purely because of the 1080p/5.1 Netflix--if they'd add VUDU I'd rarely watch video on anything else.

post #5 of 12 Old 10-22-2011, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter

That is very unfortunate. I didn't realize that the 5.1 sound doesn't work on the first through third generation models (Roku 2= fourth generation). I do remember very clearly that intransigently advertised the 5.1 capabilities. I believe they mentioned that the box is capable of 5.1, and that they would update the roku to support the new feature when the streams supported them. They made it sound like the bottleneck was not the box, but rather the streams.

I looked at the HD collection on Netflix, and it wasn't that large. So I ended up buying one of the older models for about ~50. That's fair, because the new LT model is $50, and the inputs are crippled.

I think I might start getting tired of the netflix instant watch library. But I'm planning to get a BD player in november, so that'll be a nice upgrade, and allow me to see "real" HD.
post #6 of 12 Old 10-22-2011, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Since Amazon was mentioned here, the Roku 1 units DO output 5.1 channel sound from Amazon. But not from Netflix.

Bob Simandl ... somewhere near St. Louis
post #7 of 12 Old 10-23-2011, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter

I just realized that the Roku 1 can't even do subtitles. What a shame.
post #8 of 12 Old 10-24-2011, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 38
That's why I got a 2.
post #9 of 12 Old 10-24-2011, 05:01 PM
Advanced Member

Another thing to consider is connectivity with the new Roku's. I believe only the most expensive model has an Ethernet port. The rest appear to be wireless only.

All the gen 3 models have Ethernet ports and they all stream 720p, which is okay for me at this stage of the game.
post #10 of 12 Old 10-24-2011, 05:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taperwood View Post

Another thing to consider is connectivity with the new Roku's. I believe only the most expensive model has an Ethernet port. The rest appear to be wireless only.

All the gen 3 models have Ethernet ports and they all stream 720p, which is okay for me at this stage of the game.

That's why I bought the XS--I only use wireless for portable devices like my tablet and cellphone. For me, the 5.1 sound out of Netflix is much more important than 1080p.

post #11 of 12 Old 10-24-2011, 07:49 PM

Did they fix the problem with the Roku 2 using the wrong colorspace for Netflix?
post #12 of 12 Old 10-24-2011, 08:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theslug View Post

Did they fix the problem with the Roku 2 using the wrong colorspace for Netflix?

I've heard that a new firmware release is due by the end of the month which will fix that and some other issues. My television seems to deal with that so it hasn't been a problem for me; there's a bug wherein it doesn't recognize that some titles have 5.1 sound and/or HD encodings which does annoy me (HD not so much, since you'll get the HD encodings whether it advertises them or not, but if it doesn't know that 5.1 sound is there, you can't get it, period). Hopefully the new release will fix all these issues. An HBO Go channel is supposed to show up around the same time.

EDIT: Apparently that's already rolling out; the version just went from Version 4.1 b1275 to 4.1 b2663. It seems to fix the colorspace "problem", much to the dismay of some, who were getting superior contrast before (see this thread at the Roku forums). Unfortunately it does not fix the HD and/or 5.1 sound recognition thing--they're starting to tick me off . If there was any similar little streamer offering Netflix with 1080p/5.1/CC, Amazon with 5.1 and VUDU, I'd think about buying it and dumping this thing.

Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page