Indication VUDU service coming to Xbox 360 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 10-27-2011, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The Xbox Companion app for Windows Phone that Microsoft is demonstrating at Nokia World shows that you can search for movies on your Windows Phone and then launch them on the Xbox to play in Zune video, AT&T U-verse or the VUDU app:

(The orange tile next to the green Zune tile says "Hex" "VUDU Movies")

Microsoft did not officially announce the VUDU app for Xbox when it revealed it's Xbox TV plans earlier this month.

Microsoft has already announced that Best Buy's CinemaNow service will be available on the Xbox console along with other popular video services like HBO GO.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 10-27-2011, 06:55 PM

Good find. It looks like 360 will become a major competitor to google TV, roku and other STB.
post #3 of 13 Old 12-06-2011, 06:06 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 654 Post(s)
Liked: 719
I see in this press release they announce that VUDU is coming later in December to the 360.

http://www.examiner.com/console-gami...or-all-content

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #4 of 13 Old 12-07-2011, 10:23 AM

It will be interesting to see if VUDU offers HDX (1080P) since Netflix is not offering it on its new 360 app.

Facta Non Verba!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 13 Old 12-07-2011, 10:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked: 553
If you go to the "Apps Marketplace" you can see the VUDU app on the "Coming Soon 2" panel.

I'm not aware of a VUDU app which doesn't support HDX (1080p). Of course that doesn't mean that there aren't any or that this won't be the first .

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"
" -- hookbill
post #6 of 13 Old 12-07-2011, 02:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 26
It will probably be 1080p but not DD+, just DD like the PS3.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #7 of 13 Old 12-08-2011, 07:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post

It will probably be 1080p but not DD+, just DD like the PS3.

The version of DD+ that VUDU uses is the lower bit-rate 640 kb/s variety, which is equivalent to regular Dolby Digital at the same rate anyway.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (
)
Curator,

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #8 of 13 Old 12-08-2011, 11:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

The version of DD+ that VUDU uses is the lower bit-rate 640 kb/s variety, which is equivalent to regular Dolby Digital at the same rate anyway.

Is that actually true? DD+ is a more efficient encoding than basic DD and should deliver more bang-for-the-bit at whatever rate.

On BD, DD+ is generally 1500 Kpbs or higher with a 640 Kbps AC3 core. 1500 Kbps is a bit rich for streaming at the moment.

"
" -- hookbill
post #9 of 13 Old 12-08-2011, 01:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

Is that actually true? DD+ is a more efficient encoding than basic DD and should deliver more bang-for-the-bit at whatever rate.

I was told straight from Dolby that DD+ at 640 kb/s is audibly equivalent to regular Dolby Digital at the same rate. The advantage to DD+ is that it can support up to 7.1 channels, while regular DD is limited to 5.1 with a matrixed center rear.

Quote:

On BD, DD+ is generally 1500 Kpbs or higher with a 640 Kbps AC3 core. 1500 Kbps is a bit rich for streaming at the moment.

You're confusing the Blu-ray specs with HD DVD. On HD DVD, Dolby Digital Plus came in two flavors: 640 kb/s or 1.5 Mb/s. Warner went with the lower rate, and most other studios went with the higher rate. Dolby claims that the 1.5 Mb/s version is "close to transparent" to the master, but hedges its bets a little and won't go so far as to say that it's as good as lossless. With the death of HD DVD, this version of DD+ went virtually extinct.

Blu-ray only supports DD+ at 640 kb/s. As a result, it has almost never been used on the format. The vast majority of lossy tracks on Blu-ray are standard Dolby Digital or standard DTS.

DTS has its own intermediary codec called DTS-HD High Resolution that's better than standard DTS but not as good as lossless. This has only been used sporadically on the Blu-ray format. I believe Bambi is the only recent release encoded this way.

Remember that, whether flagged as DD or DD+, 640 kb/s is still an improvement over Dolby Digital on DVD, which tops out at 448 kb/s.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (
)
Curator,

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #10 of 13 Old 12-08-2011, 02:08 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 654 Post(s)
Liked: 719
There are around 50 BD titles using DTS-HD. I have 15 to 20 of them.

But either way, AFAIK, the Xbox 360 is incapable of bitstreaming the advanced codecs which DD+ and DTS-HD are.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3

XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #11 of 13 Old 12-08-2011, 04:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Blu-ray only supports DD+ at 640 kb/s. As a result, it has almost never been used on the format.

This Dolby technical paper states:
Quote:

The maximum bit rate for Dolby Digital Plus on Blu-ray Disc is 640 kbps for the core audio packet (carrying from one to 5.1 channels) and 1.024 Mbps for the extension packet (carrying up to 5.1 channels) for a total bit-rate maximum of 1.7 Mbps.

A table at the top of page 18 of this BDA technical paper states that DD+ is supported on BD as primary audio stream at bit rates up to 4.736 Mbps.

I'll grant you that DD+ is rarely if ever used as a primary audio stream for BD (I can't find a single instance), but the BD specs support it at higher bit rates than 640 Kbps. I'm sure that I've seen it used for secondary audio streams.

If it's equivalent at 640 Mbps, I wonder why some VUDU titles offer both DD and DD+ encodings (usually DD on 480p, DD+ on 720p and 1080p, but sometimes weird variations on that).

Netflix uses 384 Kbps DD+ for 5.1 sound on its subset of streaming titles which feature it; if E-AC-3 wasn't superior to AC3 at that bit rate, that was a huge mistake.

"
" -- hookbill
post #12 of 13 Old 12-08-2011, 05:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 26
To my ears DD+'s separation and dynamic range on Netflix sounds much superior to standard DD on the same source material.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #13 of 13 Old 12-08-2011, 10:41 PM

Quote:

I was told straight from Dolby that DD+ at 640 kb/s is audibly equivalent to regular Dolby Digital at the same rate.

Maybe, but DD+ at 256 or 384Kbps (rates Vudu uses for DD+ 5.1) does seem to do a better job than DD.

Quote:

Blu-ray only supports DD+ at 640 kb/s

No, that's the Blu-Ray rate for DD, not DD+.
Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page