Best Netflix/Amazon 5.1 DD streaming device for HDMI 1.1 or toslink - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 39 Old 01-20-2012, 12:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema13 View Post

My LW6500 had some Netflix titles in 5.1...but now all 5.1 audio (as well as the indicators on NF indicating which films were in 5.1) has been eliminated! Anyone know why or what's going on???

Something's screwed up in Netflix's metadatabase. We were discussing it here in another thread. This is the 3rd Netflix thread I've checked where people have mentioned it, so I'd think that Netflix must have been made aware of the problem by now.

EDIT: I checked Netflixhelps' tweets--lots of complaints, particularly from closed-caption users (like 5.1 sound, if the player doesn't know that it's there it doesn't offer a menu for turning it on). They're looking into the issue.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -- hookbill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 39 Old 02-16-2014, 11:26 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
A streaming Blu-Ray player such as my Panasonic DMP-BD85 should decode the high definition audio codecs such as; Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby True HD, and DTS Master Audio on ALL streaming material such as Netflix, Vudu, and Amazon, etc. just as it decodes them when playing back blu-ray discs. My unit has a wireless adapter or you can also elect to hard wire it to your modem There's no way that Amazon can have its own proprietary hi-def audio codec because no one would be able to decode anything! Another solution for you is a Sony PlayStation 3 (or the new 4) which essentially has a blu-ray player built into it, and it has wireless capability as well. One benefit of the Sony PlayStation 3 or newer over my Panasonic is that you can search through the entire Netflix content database on the unit, with the Panasonic, I first have to go to my Netflix account on a computer to search their content database and then add any streaming movie I want to watch into my Queue and then it will be listed on the Panasonic's Netflix menu as available when I select that streaming service. So, basically one extra step to procure a streaming movie, vs. the Sony's ability to search the entire database on the device. I'm running my Panasonic Blu-Ray via HDMI to a high end Denon AVR-4806CI receiver (MSRP $4,000!), and it plays back 5.1 audio from Vudu and others just fine, because the blu-ray player is doing the decoding and then sends that stream to my receiver which recognizes it and plays it back in 5.1 multichannel output, again, just as it does with blu-ray discs. I went though the same trials and tribulations with Roku, their boxes are NOT decoding devices, so you need some piece of equipment to decode those hi-def audio codecs, like a hi-def audio receiver. Although it would be easy to place blame on Roku for apparently being short sighted in the design of their boxes and essentially incompatibility with non hi-def audio receivers, but if you step back and analyze it, it is not necessarily their fault that NetFlix, Vudu, Amazon and others have elected to use the hi-def audio codecs (Dolby Digital Plus, DTS Master Audio, etc.) to carry their 5.1 surround audio vs. regular Dolby and DTS (as in our non-hi def audio receivers), the only real blame to them is that their boxes don't do any decoding, it just passes along the signal to the receiver, and any non hi-def receiver will only then down convert and playback the signal as LR 2 channel/stereo audio which was the case of my Roku 2500X even when connected to my Denon with an HDMI cable AND setting the audio options in the set-up menu to "Surround" vs. "Stereo". I would guess that Roku prices would be a lot more expensive if the device actually had hi-def audio decoding capabilities as a blu-ray players and PlayStation units 3 or newer have. Another option for you potentially is the newer HD Wii units that are out. My regular Wii unit can stream Netflix and has the full search of their database capability on demand (like Playstation 3 or newer) but it is only L-R 2 channel analog audio and component analog video. I'm guessing the new HD Wii unit has the decoding capability of hi-def audio codecs and HD video via its HDMI connectivity, but you'd have to check that out. My recommendation is that you get a used Panasonic BD-DMP85 on eBay for not more than $40-50 (MSRP was $249!), it was both HDMI and 7.1 analog audio outputs, so you can even run discreet, hi-definition multi-channel audio playback from Blu-Ray discs through a non-HDMI receiver like we're doing with my girl friend's Onkyo receiver by connecting 6 wires to its 5.1 analog audio inputs, works perfect, and then you connect the blu-ray to the HD TV directly with an HDMI cable. This was the same set-up I did with my previous non-HDMI receiver, a Denon AVR-5803, but it had 7.1 audio inputs so I connected 8 wires from the blu-ray to the receiver which then support 7.1 DTS and Dolby hi-def blu-ray audio codecs. If you're working with a non-HDMI receiver the Panasonic unit I have with 7.1 discreet analog outputs is the way to go, most newer blu-ray units have dropped the multichannel analog audio outputs, and only have 2 channel analog outputs along with HDMI. The Playstation 3 or 4 and Wii HD units won't have multi-channel analog audio output, only HDMI and L-R analog audio. So, there's some solutions for you to stream multi-channel audio whether you have an HDMI or non-HDMI receiver, you certainly don't need to run out and buy a hi-def audio receiver to justify using a Roku box, simply use the other equipment solutions (which have internal hi-def coding) I suggested and enjoy...

Todd Anderson
Minneapolis, MN
post #33 of 39 Old 02-16-2014, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 328
^^^ FYI, the Panasonic DMP-BD85 has the older Netflix interface. You can not browse titles from outside your Que from Netflix, and you can only receive stereo audio. If I recall correctly, it also doesn't carry 5.1 DD audio from Amazon for the same reason. It's why I bought a Roku. However, it will decode DD and DD plus sources from sites like Vudu which have always streamed 5.1 audio.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #34 of 39 Old 02-17-2014, 06:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked: 352
^^^
Panny doesn't do Netflix at 24p either, and probably not super HD. Not a good idea to get such an old player for streaming, IMO. You need the latest and greatest.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #35 of 39 Old 02-17-2014, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

^^^
Panny doesn't do Netflix at 24p either, and probably not super HD. Not a good idea to get such an old player for streaming, IMO. You need the latest and greatest.

The DMP-BD85 only streams 720p HD from Netflix. wink.gif Excellent full featured BD player though, unless you need 3D.

Ian

post #36 of 39 Old 02-17-2014, 03:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

^^^
Panny doesn't do Netflix at 24p either...

Not the BD85, but the 2012 and 2013 model lines do and I'm guessing that the 2014 also.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"
" -- hookbill
post #37 of 39 Old 02-17-2014, 08:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

Not the BD85, but the 2012 and 2013 model lines do and I'm guessing that the 2014 also.

My Roku outputs 60HZ which means it ups the frame rate rather then the TV. When compared to streams from my smart S60, there's little difference in picture quality. However, outputting native 24p from the player seems to provide a smoother image when watching BD's.

Ian

post #38 of 39 Old 02-17-2014, 11:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post

My Roku outputs 60HZ which means it ups the frame rate rather then the TV. When compared to streams from my smart S60, there's little difference in picture quality. However, outputting native 24p from the player seems to provide a smoother image when watching BD's.
Ian

So try the infamous Example Short 23.976 from Netflix that we all love.

Most of its scenes look designed to show frame conversion issues.

None of my adaptive stream Netflix players (Apple TV, Roku 2, Chromecast) can output 24P. While they do an OK job my old trusty LG BD390 detects and outputs 24P Netflix sources at 24P. Unfortunately it only gets 720P 2.0 Netflix Streams and the interface is very dated so the Apple TV remains the player of choice for now.

However 'Example Short 23.976' definitely looks smoother when output at P24 from the BD390 and displayed at 96 Hz on my Panasonic Plasma.

For Vudu (and Blu-Ray) the BD390 is my player of choice outputting 1080P24 to be displayed at 96Hz on my Plasma.
post #39 of 39 Old 02-18-2014, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by undecided View Post

So try the infamous Example Short 23.976 from Netflix that we all love.

Most of its scenes look designed to show frame conversion issues.

None of my adaptive stream Netflix players (Apple TV, Roku 2, Chromecast) can output 24P. While they do an OK job my old trusty LG BD390 detects and outputs 24P Netflix sources at 24P. Unfortunately it only gets 720P 2.0 Netflix Streams and the interface is very dated so the Apple TV remains the player of choice for now.

However 'Example Short 23.976' definitely looks smoother when output at P24 from the BD390 and displayed at 96 Hz on my Panasonic Plasma.

For Vudu (and Blu-Ray) the BD390 is my player of choice outputting 1080P24 to be displayed at 96Hz on my Plasma.

The S60 does not have a 96HZ option. That being said, 60HZ works just fine for me.

Ian

Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page