Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 60 Old 12-05-2011, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Cuts to first-class mail to slow delivery in 2012

But in the vast majority of cases, everyday users of first-class mail will see delays of one or two days, including those who pay bills by check, send birthday cards, write letters, or receive prescription drugs or Netflix DVDs by mail.

Starting next spring it will more than likely take an extra two days (combined) to receive and return your disc. This will obviously give streaming a big push towards becoming (more) mainstream. I wonder how it will affect Netflix and Blockbusters rental rates, etc.

| 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 60 Old 12-05-2011, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Some of the stuff I'm reading says that some "pre sorted mass mailings" might not be affected...not sure if that would include Netflix. Since Netflix already picks up and drops off at the post office, I wonder if they would offer to sort the mailers as well. I also wonder, with Netflix being one of the largest sources of income to the post office in the first place, if they have any pull be excluded from this. Not saying they will or anything (and obviously no Saturday delivery will hurt) but info is scarce. I suspect we'll hear something more official soon.

And this will obviously hurt Netflix either way. It might actually help Blockbuster, who struggles with delivery times now....the delay might actually even out the two services if/when 2 or 3 day delivery becomes the norm as it will diminish that particular advantage that Netflix currently has.

Thankfully though, Netflix is ahead of the game with streaming. Reduction in lack of physical delivery mechanisms can't do anything but help push more people to streaming (for good or bad).

I'm sure studios are drooling at another hit to the rental market though.
post #3 of 60 Old 12-05-2011, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washing...cks/51649828/1

The cuts, now being finalized, would close 252 out of 461 mail processing centers across the country starting next April. Because the consolidations typically would lengthen the distance mail travels from post office to processing center, the agency also would lower delivery standards.

Williams said in certain narrow situations first-class mail might be delivered the next day — if, for example, newspapers, magazines or other bulk mailers are able to meet new tighter deadlines and drop off shipments directly at the processing centers that remain open.

I'm sure a lot of things are up in the air and Netflix might be able to maintain some one-day deliveries. Overall however those with monthly subscription might just see their value drop remarkably.

| 
|
|
|
post #4 of 60 Old 12-28-2011, 12:04 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I will tell you already I have had damaged mail delivered to my mail box. I got a letter from a cousin with half the letter missing along with the contents. I have also received mail that was opened, ripped, wet from rain, and crumpled up. I could only assume that it was some angry postal worker who is going to loose their job. When all the cuts start to happen, I bet we will all suffer. I am predicting many packages and mail will be damaged or missing due to these cuts. You watch. It will happen.

X-Box Live name: OGgamer1974

If you want to be friends on through xbox network, just send me a request through X-Box Live and mention AVS in the request.

Cheers
post #5 of 60 Old 12-28-2011, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
USPS workers are the worst and the whole operation is inefficient, my mailman is always giving me my neighbors mail and my local post office holds on to packages for days(I track them online). It's no wonder they are broke and have to constantly raise postage.
post #6 of 60 Old 12-28-2011, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

This will obviously give streaming a big push towards becoming (more) mainstream.

Mainstream, you can’t be serious. Streaming only accounts for 1.2% of total viewing. I seriously doubt this will have much of an impact on total viewing.

post #7 of 60 Old 12-28-2011, 02:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by moviegeek View Post

USPS workers are the worst and the whole operation is inefficient, my mailman is always giving me my neighbors mail and my local post office holds on to packages for days(I track them online). It's no wonder they are broke and have to constantly raise postage.

although my experience is the polar opposite of your comment .. there are avenues in place to render complaints ..

Uncle Willie

: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #8 of 60 Old 12-28-2011, 02:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

&fs=1" width="644" height="390">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&fs=1" />[ATTN POSTER: YouTube Insert Error: Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click 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" target="_blank">here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.]

Uncle Willie

: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #9 of 60 Old 12-28-2011, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post

Mainstream, you can’t be serious.

I'd call anything that accounts for roughly 32% (much higher percentage of late?) of peak Internet traffic mainstream. Video streaming wise PCs have less than half the market now. Devices and video streaming are beyond mainstream.

| 
|
|
|
post #10 of 60 Old 12-28-2011, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'd call anything that accounts for roughly 32% (much higher percentage of late?) of peak Internet traffic mainstream. Video streaming wise PCs have less than half the market now. Devices and video streaming are beyond mainstream.

You have to remember that I am a TV production/broadcast (retired) kind of guy so I take wording at face value. Mainstream means the entire US viewing audience. As I said, streaming accounts for only 1.2% of the total viewing.

post #11 of 60 Old 12-28-2011, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

As I said, streaming accounts for only 1.2% of the total viewing.

Viewers now streaming nearly 5 hours of online video per month

The one wrinkle: Nielsen found that the total number of online viewers in the U.S. -- about 150 million as of August -- was growing at half the speed of the amount of video being watched. Meaning people who are watching online video are watching a lot more than they used to -- but there are still plenty of people who aren't watching it at all: about half of the U.S. population.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/tech...per-month.html

According to this reference roughly half the population streams... sounds mainstream to me. Mainstream doesn't mean 100% (or close to it). Rather it is something normal... with half the population doing it I'd guess it's normal.

Nielsen and comScore will never see eye-to-eye and that goes doubly for the numbers they report. While comScore said some 174 million Americans viewed online video last month, Nielsen states it's only 144.2 million, or billion if you were to take their chart at face value.

http://www.reelseo.com/nielsen-comsc...-online-video/

5 hours at 1.2% means people view 14 hours a day?

| 
|
|
|
post #12 of 60 Old 12-28-2011, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

As I said, streaming accounts for only 1.2% of the total viewing.

You have to remember I'm a born skeptic, do you have a source to back up that figure?

Quote:

there are avenues in place to render complaints

If you mean the USPS website then thanks for the laugh, they take complaints as seriously as Netflix does.
post #13 of 60 Old 12-28-2011, 09:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Viewers now streaming nearly 5 hours of online video per month

Yes, and most viewers watch nearly that amount, or more, in one night from OTA, cable and satellite!!

Just because a majority of folks have capable streaming devices does not make streaming “mainstream”. In fact the amount of streaming is quite small when one considers the number of devices capable of streaming. The same can be said of PPV/VOD, there are a huge number of STBs (≈ 100 million subscribers) capable of PPV/VOD but AFAIK no one is claiming PPV/VOD has gone mainstream.

post #14 of 60 Old 12-28-2011, 09:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Here are the numbers from one recent night and just the five networks.

1 NCIS® (CBS) 12.5
2 Una Familia Con Suerta (UNI) 3.8
3 Last Man Standing® (ABC) 6.1
3 Last Man Standing®-8:30 (ABC) 5.7
5 The Middle® (ABC) 4.7
6 Suburgatory® (ABC) 4.1
7 The Kennedy Center Honors (CBS) 8.4
7 Body of Proof (ABC) 5.1
9 New Girl® (FOX) 2.8
9 Aqui y Ahora (UNI) 2.4
Total in millions 55.6

post #15 of 60 Old 12-28-2011, 10:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, and most viewers watch nearly that amount, or more, in one night from OTA, cable and satellite!!

Now you are saying it's closer to 3.3%... I guess it's growing fast... almost tripled overnight.

Quote:

Just because a majority of folks have capable streaming devices does not make streaming “mainstream”.

I would call 150 million people streaming video monthly mainstream... you might want to look up the word.

Nielsen found that the total number of online viewers in the U.S. -- about 150 million as of August

| 
|
|
|
post #16 of 60 Old 12-29-2011, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

150 million a month? It's mainstream.

Unless Wendell wants to argue the Super Bowl isn't mainstream (only watched by 111 million last year).

And only slightly more than that (somewhere in the neighborhood of 170 million unique people) go the the movies each YEAR....or only ~14 million a month. And I doubt he thinks the theater isn't mainstream.

sources:
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_many_p...vies_each_year

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_819559.html
post #17 of 60 Old 12-29-2011, 07:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

If you mean the USPS website then thanks for the laugh, they take complaints as seriously as Netflix does.

If you have a beef with USPS misrouting / holding packages etc, as you described, and all you know about is to complain on the Website .. then you've made absolutely no effort to correct your issues ..

Uncle Willie

post #18 of 60 Old 12-29-2011, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

You all let me know when a IPTV provider sells a 30 sec. spot for millions of dollars!

post #19 of 60 Old 12-29-2011, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

At my previous address when I received a small package the carrier would leave a card in my mail box saying come pickup the package at the local postoffice because no one was at home and could not be delivered. That was not true, I was there most every day.

I went to the local postoffice and complained, several times. Eventually, they put another carrier on my section and I never had anymore problems. At my current address there is a lady that is a contract letter carrier, she is the greatest, could not ask for a better person.

post #20 of 60 Old 12-29-2011, 08:29 AM

Liked: 10
This is interesting, I once lived in a Metro area, They had a netflix processing center in my area and my turn around was a day. More if they got the older DVD's from a different location. However, I moved to a rural area about 100 miles from the processing center and I am still at only 2 days turn around. To be expected !

I don't know why this would change, I have a rural P.O. carrier who I mentioned this too and he looked at me funny and said, " Not to worry". so, I won't !

I stream too but, not as much as most. Haven't had a problem out here in the boondocks !
post #21 of 60 Old 12-29-2011, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

If you have a beef with USPS misrouting / holding packages etc, as you described, and all you know about is to complain on the Website .. then you've made absolutely no effort to correct your issues ..

I did email my postmaster and complained but it did no good, if you live in a big city(such as I do) they don't care. If you live in a small town where everyone knows each other then changes will be done, you're lucky that you have excellent service and your Netflix DVD's don't get damaged. By contrast UPS and FedEx has always delivered packages on-time and their phone support is top notch.

Back to our regularly scheduled discussion.....
post #22 of 60 Old 12-29-2011, 11:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked: 546
That video was interesting and kind of shocking. I always assumed that the envelope stuffing process was completely automated (opening would need a human to check that the sleeve contained the correct movie).

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"
" -- hookbill
post #23 of 60 Old 12-29-2011, 12:37 PM
Advanced Member

I don't have a disc in front of me, but doesn't the white disc holder have a bar code on it? I doubt any Netflix human ever touches the discs. The idea that someone actually checks for the correct physical disc strikes me as way too labor intensive and yet I've never heard of anyone getting the wrong movie, so I am puzzled about this. Does anyone know if the discs themselves have RFID tags?

EDIT: I bet the discs are separated from the white envelope long enough to scan the data around the spindle hole and then it goes back into the envelope.

EDIT EDIT: Yeah, it is shocking that they have people stuffing the envelopes. No wonder Netflix wants out of physical rentals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

That video was interesting and kind of shocking. I always assumed that the envelope stuffing process was completely automated (opening would need a human to check that the sleeve contained the correct movie).

post #24 of 60 Old 12-29-2011, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 118
I have 3 processing centers within 1 day of me: San Francisco, San Jose and Sacramento. I can get a disc from any of those three and it because sometimes I'm ordering an older video it may be at one a different location than the previous disc. Obviously from the video each stuffer is putting the same movie in each envelope. That way they don't even have to look. There must be a few people stuffing where that isn't the case and that would be undoubtedly slower.
post #25 of 60 Old 12-29-2011, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You all let me know when a IPTV provider sells a 30 sec. spot for millions of dollars!

Outbidding pay TV for new content they are paying much more than a few million...

In this case, it's an adaptation of a 1990s British miniseries called House of Cards, this one starring Kevin Spacey. The bid is a reported $100 million, beating both AMC and HBO for the rights to the show.

That's right, Netflix, which doesn't have a cable TV station or outlet, just outbid two cable giants to get the rights to a show at a rate of about $4 million per episode.

Recreating quality content from old/existing TV...

In a serious content play, Netflix has announced that it is bringing the wildly popular show Arrested Development back exclusively on its platform.

The exclusivity is the key here, as it shows that Netflix is serious about putting its distribution power into promoting original content, rather than just a catalogue of previously aired content and films.

Hulu (Plus) and YouTube are right there as well...

| 
|
|
|
post #26 of 60 Old 12-29-2011, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Outbidding pay TV for new content they are paying much more than a few million...[/i]

What has this to do with selling ad space?

Wow! Netflix has one exclusive series. Want to talk about the hundreds (thousands?) that CBS, ABC, NBC, Fox, PBS, HBO, Showtime, Disney...................................................... .........................History had/has?

post #27 of 60 Old 12-29-2011, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

[i]In a serious content play, Netflix has announced that it is bringing the wildly popular show Arrested Development back exclusively on its platform.

That is very , IIRC, it got caned because of very low ratings. Who knows, it may play better to the Netflix crowd.

post #28 of 60 Old 12-29-2011, 02:25 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 637 Post(s)
Liked: 714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taperwood View Post

I don't have a disc in front of me, but doesn't the white disc holder have a bar code on it? I doubt any Netflix human ever touches the discs. The idea that someone actually checks for the correct physical disc strikes me as way too labor intensive and yet I've never heard of anyone getting the wrong movie, so I am puzzled about this. Does anyone know if the discs themselves have RFID tags?

EDIT: I bet the discs are separated from the white envelope long enough to scan the data around the spindle hole and then it goes back into the envelope.

EDIT EDIT: Yeah, it is shocking that they have people stuffing the envelopes. No wonder Netflix wants out of physical rentals.

Over the last thirteen years with netflix, I've received a few discs that were in the wrong sleeve. it doesn't happen very often, but it does happen.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3

XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #29 of 60 Old 12-29-2011, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What has this to do with selling ad space?

Seeing as Netflix doesn't have commercials you have to work in reverse. If they can afford to outbid pay TV content providers one has to assume they can generate more revenues based on the content... it's starting.

| 
|
|
|
post #30 of 60 Old 12-30-2011, 12:26 AM

Speaking of superbowl and streaming being mainstream, NBC will stream the superbowl online this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mproper View Post

150 million a month? It's mainstream.

Unless Wendell wants to argue the Super Bowl isn't mainstream (only watched by 111 million last year).

And only slightly more than that (somewhere in the neighborhood of 170 million unique people) go the the movies each YEAR....or only ~14 million a month. And I doubt he thinks the theater isn't mainstream.

sources:
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_many_p...vies_each_year

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_819559.html

Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page