Netflix first original programing - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 02-23-2012, 12:35 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked: 448
If you've ever spent much time watching Scandinavian TV/movies it's fairly common to see some of the characters switch to English as sort of a "bridge" or universal language when their native tongues are not the same(Danish/German for example). These are show/films that were produced and aired in their respective countries so it's not as if they were designed to be shown in English speaking countries, it just happens to be the universal language. If I'm not mistaken, all air traffic controllers around the world all speak English as do all the pilots, at least I'm pretty sure that's the case with commercial flights, regardless of the country of origin. Also, no doubt due to the size of their population, I've read that there are more people in China capable of fluent conversation in the English language than the total population of the US and UK combined. I believe English is also the language of international finance.

As undecided mentions above, now flip that scenario around...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2012, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 173
And I remember why I took French in high school because it was going to be "the international language" and of course that didn't happen. It was called the "language of diplomats" at the time. Guess that dates me.

English is such a mongrel language though and as such probably difficult for a lot of people in other cultures to learn.
Old 02-23-2012, 12:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

I believe English is also the language of international finance.

It's also the language of science, as it easily accepts technical terms. It has by far the largest vocabulary. Also, the influence of the British Empire and later the US made at least cursory English knowledge almost mandatory in a lot of places.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
Old 02-25-2012, 04:08 AM
EJ
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
I'm half Norwegian and my great aunt lives about 5 miles from Lillyhammer. She and my mom write to each other every month. (Actual letters!)

She told us that everyone gets 5 weeks vacation. If you're a farmer and you have to milk your cow every morning, the government will send someone to do it while you are on vacation.

Former USSB uplink operator.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Finished this up last night. I wouldn't say it was the best show or anything, but certainly worthwhile and kept my interest. In other words, I was entertained.

I hope there's a season 2.
Old 02-29-2012, 05:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I hope there is too.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:37 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
I still have not watched any part episode one. The first episode seemed so cliched to me. I hope this is not the route netflix takes as there are plenty of mediocre low budget "dramadies" on TV. It is a poor man's sopranos. I want more compelling programming like sons of anarchy, walking dead, 24, game of thrones, true blood, the river, fear itself etc. If it takes increasing the cost by a few dollars, that is fine. Just think a $2 increase results in an additional $40 million per month for better content.