post #61 of 76 Old 02-09-2012, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taperwood View Post

In fact, purchasing an Ultraviolet title gives one only an iron-clad guarantee of 1 year of viewing. Anything beyond that may incur additional fees.

It appears to me many think once they have access to a UV title they are set for life. I'm not sure very many realize there could be reoccurring fees associated with a UV title. This sounds too much like the Circuit City Divx DVD for my taste.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 76 Old 02-09-2012, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 679
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post

That does not mean anything, Walmart has already shown they will abandon certain ventures. I am not trying to imply they are about to shut down VUDU, I am saying if they determine VUDU to be a drag on them then they will sell it or shut it down in a heartbeat.

as I said earlier ..

I believe that even in a worse case VUDU shutdown, which I don't see happening, Walmart will step up with some sort of compensation ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #63 of 76 Old 02-09-2012, 12:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:

That does not mean anything, Walmart has already shown they will abandon certain ventures. I am not trying to imply they are about to shut down VUDU, I am saying if they determine VUDU to be a drag on them then they will sell it or shut it down in a heartbeat.

While true, I'm a little more encouraged by WalMart's ability to market VUDU than some independent or lesser company (like Roxio's CinemaNow or Film Fresh.) Go to their electronics section and there's a pretty good stock VUDU devices with good promotion.

I also don't think WalMart would go into panic mode if the revenue takes a slight dip.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #64 of 76 Old 02-09-2012, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 679
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa View Post

While true, I'm a little more encouraged by WalMart's ability to market VUDU than some independent or lesser company (like Roxio's CinemaNow or Film Fresh.) Go to their electronics section and there's a pretty good stock VUDU devices with good promotion.

I also don't think WalMart would go into panic mode if the revenue takes a slight dip.

I believe they are in it for the long haul ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #65 of 76 Old 02-09-2012, 01:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Quote:

The concern might be they simply lose interest. Since it's such a small piece of the pie (even measurable?) they could close the doors tomorrow and never know it.

Much like a few years ago they grew their AV departments looking for high(er) margin sells. They gave up that approach and have been scaling them back of late. Stating items have gotten smaller over the years so they require less space.

http://hothardware.com/News/Walmart-...Fishing-Poles/
post #66 of 76 Old 02-09-2012, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Not sure Walmart knows the meaning of panic mode .

IIRC, sometime back Walmart regrouped and hired new management people for their electronics & entertainment section. They let it be known they were going to compete very aggressively against Best Buy. VUDU may not have even been purchased as a profit center, it could just as well be a service to help drive the sale of electronics.

Seen recently that Walmart now accounts for 40% of the Blu-ray titles sold at retail (that equals their DVD market share).
post #67 of 76 Old 02-09-2012, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

Much like a few years ago they grew their AV departments looking for high(er) margin sells. They gave up that approach and have been scaling them back of late.

That is interesting, especially after expanding the section in recent years. Should make Best Buy happy.
post #68 of 76 Old 02-09-2012, 04:06 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

and what rights would that be. In effect you have none, you agreed to that when you signed onto the service. You agreed they could change the TOS anytime and without any recourse.

Its very simple, if you want to play you pays your quarter and takes your chance. Ever been to Vegas?

Per the TOS, you are correct, but I think the LAST thing Walmart would want is a PR nightmare, and several smart lawyers would jump on the customer relations bit and get some sort of compensation.....I fully understand the "if you play, you pay" analogy......Despite one agreeing to the TOS, if VUDU actually DID the draconian things listed, there would be backlash.....As I said, there is risk in every activity we do....
post #69 of 76 Old 02-09-2012, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by donthetech View Post

several smart lawyers would jump on the customer relations bit and get some sort of compensation

Collusion is one thing (Walmart & Netflix debacle), terminating a service is another. It happens all the time.

You are trying to make it out as if Walmart would owe you something if they terminated the VUDU service. We both know they would owe you nothing. I see no need for further discussion.
post #70 of 76 Old 02-09-2012, 05:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

Stating items have gotten smaller over the years so they require less space.

Fortunately, Rokus are pretty darn small.

post #71 of 76 Old 02-09-2012, 09:40 PM
EJ
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Fortunately, Rokus are pretty darn small.

I bought the most inexpensive of the new Rokus. It's about the size of a hockey puck, and draws 4 watts of power!

Former USSB uplink operator.
post #72 of 76 Old 02-09-2012, 10:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Aren't they all about the same size?

post #73 of 76 Old 02-12-2012, 08:02 AM

Quote:

Collusion is one thing (Walmart & Netflix debacle), terminating a service is another. It happens all the time.

You are trying to make it out as if Walmart would owe you something if they terminated the VUDU service. We both know they would owe you nothing. I see no need for further discussion.

Gee, Wendell, read minds much? I never SAID Walmart would owe me anything....I said twice I know the risk involved, as I work in an industry that has similar terms in it's TOS....Plus, my experience with Walmart/VUDU has been excellent...There were many times they could have applied their TOS, but didn't because they wanted to provide a great customer service experience....So bottom line is the risk is worth it to me...

In addition, I have many of my films downloaded, and can play them offline, so the loss would be minimal.....
post #74 of 76 Old 02-12-2012, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by donthetech View Post

So bottom line is the risk is worth it to me...

If your happy then I am tickled pink!!
post #75 of 76 Old 02-13-2012, 06:13 PM

Quote:

If your happy then I am tickled pink!!

Cool, yeah, I just wanted to share my experience with a cloud-based movie ecosystem.....So far, so good.....have a great day!!
post #76 of 76 Old 03-11-2012, 01:48 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I signed up for ultraviolet and so far not impressed. You have to create a ultraviolet account and then another for every studio you are streaming from. My first movie Hugo will not even work. I was getting all kinds of weird error messages and now its simply the service is not available. The Thing seems to be working and they also gave me a credit for the movie on amazon. When I redeemed the code on amazon a message said the movie may not be available after june. So really why even give a Amazon code?

They have a long way to go. If they give me a free code with a disc that is fine but its nothing more than a extended rental they can shut off anytime and may not work.

Edit: Being able to backup a copy of the movie as a alternative when its no longer available is great but it defeats the purpose of all this cloud stuff. I am somewhat interested in streaming because I don't want to rely on a home media server. Even a large music collection is much easier to back up offline compared to a entire video library of hd movies.
Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page