PS3 No longer plays next episode in series - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 02-04-2012, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Several months ago I bought a PS3 and started using that instead of my blu-ray player for Netflix streaming.

I originally switched because I wanted the higher quality video and 5.1 streams. An added benefit that I didn't even know about before I switched was that the PS3 would automatically play the next episode in a series after the current episode ended. I really enjoyed this feature.

I'm not sure exactly when this changed but I have noticed lately that it no longer plays the next episode. Has this stopped working for anyone else? I don't know if it's a setting that accidentally got switched on my PS3 or if Netflix decided to take that ability away from the PS3 for some reason. If they did take it away what would be their reason for doing so?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 02-04-2012, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
I've never seen it auto-play an episode.
post #3 of 12 Old 02-04-2012, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter

Maybe it didn't do it with every TV series but I know it did for several of the shows I was watching. For example, I have been watching "How I Met Your Mother" from start to beginning for the last couple months. I am somewhere in the 4th season now.

When I started watching the show it would auto-play the next episode when the current episode ended. There would be something like a 20 second countdown when the theme song and credits started and then the next episode would play. You could also push the X button and it would quit the countdown and immediately play the next episode.

Now, while watching the same show this no longer happens. Now when an episode ends it just takes me back out to my instant queue. Its not a huge deal but I liked the auto-play feature.

Edit: I'm not sure how long the countdown was. I think it was either 20 or 10 seconds but I know it would usually start the next episode before the credits ended.
post #4 of 12 Old 02-04-2012, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgohan View Post

I've never seen it auto-play an episode.

This is from the Roku forums.

"I bought a Roku to get away from using my super hot power hungry PS3 to stream video. The first thing I noticed missing with the Roku version of Netflix is autoplay for tv shows. For example I start watching "The Office" episode 1 and as it ends it starts a count down and automatically starts episode 2 without me having to do anything. Please Please Please add this to the Roku netflix... Otherwise I love the Roku!

Thanks!"

http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php...a9970b3c1fc7ef

So it was definitely a feature of the PS3. I just don't know if they took it away or if my settings got screwed up. I can't figure out how to change it back if it is my settings.
post #5 of 12 Old 02-04-2012, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
FWFW, I've never seen it do that on my PS3.... and I am king of falling asleep during an episode to wake up to the Netflix app just sitting at the menu without having played the next episode automatically.

Of course, there has been several versions of the PS3 app, so maybe I didn't have one that did this.
post #6 of 12 Old 02-04-2012, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I'd had the PS3 (slim) for 1 year this week, and had 3 different Netflix apps... Mine never auto played the next episode. Which version of the NF app was on your PS3?
http://www.techofthehub.com/netflix-ui-gallery

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #7 of 12 Old 02-04-2012, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mine is also a PS3 slim but I never noticed the UI changing. I bought it new in October or November.

There are only 2 choices of UI's on that website for the PS3. I know mine was definitely not HTML5 v1. It might be HTML5 v2 but i'm not positive.

Edit: I just pulled up netflix on my PS3 and I definitely have v2 now. I'm not sure what I had before but I dont understand why they would take good features like that away in newer updates.
post #8 of 12 Old 02-04-2012, 06:38 PM

There's another version like v2 that is zoomed in and shows fewer titles on the screen. I have this one now.

If you look at Netflix's recent revamp of the iPad and Android tablet UIs, there's some hope that they will undo the "zoomed in" look. When the new tablet UI was released one of its features was that it showed double the number of titles on the screen.
http://blog.netflix.com/2011/11/new-experience-now-available-for-all.html
post #9 of 12 Old 03-20-2013, 11:57 AM

I figure it out http://youtu.be/YxdhDewr8e4
And I made a YouTube about it cause I too was stuck without the autoplay on my nexflix hope this helps
post #10 of 12 Old 03-24-2013, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 43
I got a Roku to get rid of this very annoying feature. I hate auto-play. I rarely if ever watch the same episode of a show back to back unless it is a two part episode. Also I like watching the end credits. How can anyway want this. Hello. All you have to do is push one freaking button to go to the next episode anyway.

Earthlink Standard powered by Time Warner Cable Brooklyn.
ASUS RT-N66W Router 374.43 (Merlin Build) using OpenDNS.
Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV 3, Roku 3, Sony PS3 Slim, Sony S5100 all Wired. Chromecast Wireless.
Toshiba 39L2300U 39-Inch 1080p. Nexus 5 on T-Mobile and
Nexus 7 (2013).
Cats are the best pets.
post #11 of 12 Old 04-03-2013, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddice View Post

I got a Roku to get rid of this very annoying feature. I hate auto-play. I rarely if ever watch the same episode of a show back to back unless it is a two part episode. Also I like watching the end credits. How can anyway want this. Hello. All you have to do is push one freaking button to go to the next episode anyway.

First I wasn't using it to play the same episode back to back. I was using it to watch the the next episode in a series. Second, you really can't see why anyone would want this? Sure it's not that hard to manually move to the next episode but it was a nice feature to let a series keep playing automatically without my intervention while I was working on something at my desk.

I don't use my PS3 for streaming anymore. I use an Apple TV in the game room and a Roku 2XD in the other room. Still it was a nice feature and I'm not sure why they took it away.
post #12 of 12 Old 04-03-2013, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Sorry i meant same show next episode. Like I said I NEVER watch the next episode unless it is a two part episode sometimes. If they at least gave you a option to turn off autoplay then everyone wins.

Earthlink Standard powered by Time Warner Cable Brooklyn.
ASUS RT-N66W Router 374.43 (Merlin Build) using OpenDNS.
Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV 3, Roku 3, Sony PS3 Slim, Sony S5100 all Wired. Chromecast Wireless.
Toshiba 39L2300U 39-Inch 1080p. Nexus 5 on T-Mobile and
Nexus 7 (2013).
Cats are the best pets.
Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page