How to use Roku2 XS in my hotel room? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 22 Old 02-04-2012, 09:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
On my last work trip, I took my Roku 2 XS that Santa brought me, a HDMI cable, and even an ethernet cable in case it could not connect to the hotel wireless that I was paying $9.95 / day for.

On the hotel room flat screen, I was able to make all the connections work (to the HDMI port on the side, and even to the WIRED !! ethernet jack on the desk near the TV.)

I was so excited at this point!

However, when I pressed the "source" button on the side of the hotel TV, it would NOT switch sources to the HDMI port where the Roku was attached. That button seemed to be disabled. Stymied, I was.

Any ideas for how to get around this?

I would LOVE to access Amazon Prime Video or TED or Pandora on my Roku on my next work trip.

Someone at work suggested trying a "universal remote" that had a source change button on it. In other words, maybe the infra-red version of the "Change your source input" command would not be disabled.

Anyone know of an online source for a universal remote that has a change source button ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 02-05-2012, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Many Hotel TV's are set into highly restricted modes. You might want to consider a basic Harmony remote, as you can try programming it on-the-fly for any TV. You may also want to look into a JP1.x capable remote, which you can program yourself, also, although it's not officially supported and is more tech-oriented.
http://www.hifi-remote.com/ofa/

Need help with your Motorola DVR? Check the Wikibook: How to use a Motorola DVR
post #3 of 22 Old 02-05-2012, 07:49 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you Andy.

Do you think this one would be decent?

http://www.amazon.com/Universal-Cont...pr_product_top

I was thinking about the Logitech 300 (because not having a touch screen is better for suitcase hazards), but the reviews really criticize its weak IR.

The OneForAll Cinema 7 doesn't seem to be available anymore.
post #4 of 22 Old 02-05-2012, 08:54 AM

If you contact the front desk, they can send someone up to enable the input on the side & back of the tv.
post #5 of 22 Old 02-05-2012, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Or get an 'installer's remote' from here: http://hdsupplysolutions.com/shop/Ke...Term=tv+remote
post #6 of 22 Old 02-06-2012, 06:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenThumb View Post

Thank you Andy.

Do you think this one would be decent?

http://www.amazon.com/Universal-Cont...pr_product_top

I was thinking about the Logitech 300 (because not having a touch screen is better for suitcase hazards), but the reviews really criticize its weak IR.

The OneForAll Cinema 7 doesn't seem to be available anymore.

The URC-WR7 isn't JP1. The RCA RCRP05B is. I take one with me at all times. It will work like an installer's remote for any system. No Logitech will have the flexibility of a JP1. See the hifi-remote.com forums for details.
post #7 of 22 Old 02-06-2012, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post

If you contact the front desk, they can send someone up to enable the input on the side & back of the tv.

Those inputs are disabled on purpose to keep you from watching movies you didn't rent from the hotel. I really doubt anyone at the hotel could be able to enable those inputs, even if they wanted to (which the manager wouldn't want to).

I remember going to hotels with crt tv's that either only had rf inputs (already being used by the cable system) or if it had r/w/y inputs, they were only in the back of the set and covered by the rf cable input (large black box). I think these sets were specifically made for the hotel trade to prevent people from using their own vcr/dvd/gaming units.
post #8 of 22 Old 02-06-2012, 10:28 PM - Thread Starter

mdavej, thanks. Snagged one from Amazon (the RCA RCRP05B), and started reading the hi-fi-remote forums. I think I am starting to 'get' what an installer's remote is about.

Wow, this is an entire new world I did not know about.

My big accomplishment in hotel hacking so far was:
- Figuring out how to use a pair of slip-joint pliers to disable the water saver on the shower while I'm there.(Yes, I put it back on before I leave!) Otherwise, washing my hair could take an eternity in the mornings.

The other thing I'm bringing with me on next trip:
ZyXEL MWR211 802.11n Battery Powered Mobile Wireless Router, 3G/4G ready
http://www.amazon.com/ZyXEL-MWR211-8...595796&sr=8-13
http://us.zyxel.com/Products/details...upNo=PDCA20108
post #9 of 22 Old 02-07-2012, 05:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Before you go to too much trouble, make sure your hotel internet connection does not require a log in prior to connection to the internet. If it does, you may have problems getting ROKU online since there is no way to log in. In that case, it may be possible to log in via laptop then switch the connection to the ROKU.
post #10 of 22 Old 02-07-2012, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenThumb View Post

mdavej, thanks. Snagged one from Amazon (the RCA RCRP05B), and started reading the hi-fi-remote forums. I think I am starting to 'get' what an installer's remote is about.

Wow, this is an entire new world I did not know about.

Yep, these are very powerful little remotes. You can probably do most of what you want to do without a cable, but check THIS thread if you ever want to build your own JP1.3 interface on the cheap (< $5).

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanPackMan View Post

Before you go to too much trouble, make sure your hotel internet connection does not require a log in prior to connection to the internet. If it does, you may have problems getting ROKU online since there is no way to log in. In that case, it may be possible to log in via laptop then switch the connection to the ROKU.

Not a problem. Using your own router like GreenThumb's, you log in once on your laptop, then all other clients connected to your router are authorized. I've used this trick for years, since before the days of wireless in hotels when I had to plug into the wall and make my own wireless LAN.
post #11 of 22 Old 02-07-2012, 08:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhufnagel View Post

Those inputs are disabled on purpose to keep you from watching movies you didn't rent from the hotel. I really doubt anyone at the hotel could be able to enable those inputs, even if they wanted to (which the manager wouldn't want to).

It depends on the hotel, but nowadays it's almost universally allowed. A lot of hotels are even making it easier with ports on the desk or near the sofa for plugging in computers or games or whatever.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #12 of 22 Old 02-10-2012, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

The URC-WR7 isn't JP1. The RCA RCRP05B is. I take one with me at all times. It will work like an installer's remote for any system. No Logitech will have the flexibility of a JP1. See the hifi-remote.com forums for details.

Just received it!

Added the code for my Samsung 61" DLP purchased in 2007. Took about 30 seconds to do. Worked perfectly! I just ordered another (RCA RCRP05B) to stay in my suitcase.

Glad I saw a "DLP" section in the TV part of the code pamphlet printout that came with the remote, or I would have tried a lot of incorrect Samsung codes first. Now that I have my laptop booted up, I'll look at the spreadsheet I downloaded for other device codes by model number (I think I downloaded that from one of your links.)

Small thing but it's really nice to be able to change inputs AND turn volume up and down quickly (by holding down constantly) from the same remote. My Direct TV remote requires a separate button press for each volume increment change.

Thanks so much!
post #13 of 22 Old 02-10-2012, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Actually the Directv vol is easy to fix. Just use the same code you used in the RCA but put a 1 in front, i.e., TV 0812 on the RCA is 10812 on the DirecTV remote.
post #14 of 22 Old 02-10-2012, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter

But my Direct TV remote (rc65rx) does not have a Setup button on it.

It does have a "Format" button in a similar location...
post #15 of 22 Old 02-10-2012, 09:11 PM
AVS Special Member

post #16 of 22 Old 02-11-2012, 09:09 AM - Thread Starter

That worked!

How do you know these things.
post #17 of 22 Old 02-19-2012, 03:19 AM - Thread Starter

Called the hotel of the next trip to see which "flat screen TV" they have.

"AOMNI" was the answer.
(me) "huh?"
"It's a korean manufacturer. We'll be upgrading over the summer to Samsungs."

So, I'm thinking there is no WAY that there would be a code for such an obscure brand.

However, there it is, in the pamphlet that came with my RCA remote!
code 1623
I've already programmed it in my "Suitcase" remote!
post #18 of 22 Old 02-19-2012, 06:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Plus, the RCA is a learning remote. If you couldn't find an exact match in the list, or on the JP1 website, you could grab a few codes, then use IR to find the settings and see if it's available on the JP1 site under another name. It's not unusual for odd names to just be rebadged generic TV's.

post #19 of 22 Old 02-19-2012, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

... also once you learn just one command, you can use the protocol/device info and try the 255 others. It only takes 10-15 minutes to identify every possible command, especially simple devices like TVs.

Check out the JP1 forum for a new way to build a cable for under $5.
post #20 of 22 Old 02-19-2012, 11:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyross63 View Post

Plus, the RCA is a learning remote. If you couldn't find an exact match in the list, or on the JP1 website, you could grab a few codes, then use IR to find the settings and see if it's available on the JP1 site under another name. It's not unusual for odd names to just be rebadged generic TV's.

Actually I had already planned on being able to brag that I did the learn thing....

However, the Roku 2 XS remote foiled me.

It would be great to be able to leave the Roku remote at home and just bring the RCA Universal remote. The Roku remote probably occupies more suitcase space than that tiny Roku hockey puck itself.

Here's what I tried last week, to try to get my RCA universal remote to control the Roku 2 XS (this is the only model with the Ethernet and USB port):

1) Pamphlet that came with the RCA
Pamphlet did not have a code specifically for the Roku 2 XS, but it did have something for just "Roku" under Audio and Video.
Those did not work.

2) Jp1 forum Device Lookup Tool
That tool is pretty cool.
Clicked on Brand=ROKU, Type=Any, and Target Remote=RCA RCRp05B
The last one didn't work either.

3) Jp1 file downloads
I found a file for
Roku LT by iboston Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:52 am

I opened the file with Notepad, and saw code:
Tried that code via the usual programming way, but that didn't work.

4) Then I decided, OK, I'll try the learning thing.

Eventually I realized that the Roku 2 XS remote is NOT infrared. It must be RF or Bluetooth, because I then remembered "pairing" it right after Santa brought it.

What threw me was its spec statement:

"Streaming player includes IR. Compatible with various universal remotes"

I saw that on:
http://www.roku.com/roku-products#3
In the Roku 2 XS column, when I clicked on "See Specs".

Reading that twice, that means (I think) that the ***player*** can receive IR. Not that the remote sends IR.

To verify, I tried using the Roku remote with the remote under a blanket and pointed opposite the Roku. It still controlled the Roku just fine.

Meanwhile I've been waylayed by a primary laptop drive failure. I use GoodSync to sync files all over the place (NAS, etc) every day so I only lost 4 hrs worth of work. But losing a HD is a complete PITA . I get the replacement Tuesday.

mdavej, I ordered a
JP1.2/1.3 (FLASH) USB Cable for Universal Remotes
from
diy gadget dot com
I last did breadboarding with Dad eons ago, so I was tempted to give that a try, but I wanted to have it to experiment with before next trip. (There will be plenty of evenings in hotel room.) At this point I'll be grateful to have a working laptop! Cable just arrived, but I haven't tried it yet. (not that I really know how to "try" it :-).

From their website, I downloaded
JP1.2-1.3_USB_CABLE_DRIVER_INSTALLER.rar
and
Infra Red 803.zip
when I ordered the cable, though I don't remember why I downloaded both...
post #21 of 22 Old 02-20-2012, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

3) JP1 files don't work like that. Whatever setup code you find in the file is arbitrary and has no relationship to what might exist in your remote. You have to load the file into your remote with your cable and IR or RMIR. The setup code alone won't work. Reading the files in notepad is also useless. You must use RM or KM to get any meaningful info from them.

You really need to read the tutorials on the JP1 site because there is a lot of fundamental stuff you're missing, too much to cover in this thread.

You'll have to get the IR capable Roku remote (XD or below) to learn from. Or simply load the file you found on the JP1 site. As you discovered, the Roku code is not built-in to the RCA.
post #22 of 22 Old 02-20-2012, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

... also once you learn just one command, you can use the protocol/device info and try the 255 others. It only takes 10-15 minutes to identify every possible command, especially simple devices like TVs.

Check out the JP1 forum for a new way to build a cable for under $5.

The ability to use SETUP-000 through SETUP-255 to send codes depends on the basic device. Some protocols are different and have more. Also, some devices, like Sony, have sub-devices where there are sort-of multiple codes all mixed together.

Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page