Is all Netflix content available in HD? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 02-11-2012, 08:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 54
I'm thinking about finally taking the plunge and dropping all my movie channels in favor of Netflix. I was browsing through their list of available titles and while I was finding a lot of what I want to see, none of it was listed as HD or also available in HD.

I know I can just cancel after my free month trial, but I'd like to know first if it's even worth my time. If everything is available in HD, then yes it would be. If not, then I'm not sure I'd waste my time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 02-11-2012, 08:20 AM

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 25
As far as I know.. The answer is NO... Only some titles were HD. I was a Netflix user for 3 years until the price increase. Although I may switch back for the convenince of streaming. (no dvd rental)

QSC 2150 for HT
DIY Tempest
DIY Ultimax Sub's
post #3 of 13 Old 02-11-2012, 08:40 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Imp View Post

I'm thinking about finally taking the plunge and dropping all my movie channels in favor of Netflix. I was browsing through their list of available titles and while I was finding a lot of what I want to see, none of it was listed as HD or also available in HD.

I know I can just cancel after my free month trial, but I'd like to know first if it's even worth my time. If everything is available in HD, then yes it would be. If not, then I'm not sure I'd waste my time.

It depends if you are referring to the disc delivery service or the streaming service.

For disc delivery service, just about all new movies are available in Blu-Ray format and hence 1080p HD. Older movies on disc may only be available on DVD and 480i/p.

For streaming service, the content is a mixed bag of HD & SD. Realize, also, the streaming service typically does not offer new movie releases.

I've been a satisfied Netflix subscriber for over 6 years and added streaming when it became available a few years ago. The streaming content available from Netflix has only gotten better in the last few years, particularly for TV series.

I too forgo all of the movie channels on my local cable service and use Netflix disc/streaming & Amazon streaming services for all my movie watching.
post #4 of 13 Old 02-11-2012, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dboff01 View Post

It depends if you are referring to the disc delivery service or the streaming service.

For disc delivery service, just about all new movies are available in Blu-Ray format and hence 1080p HD. Older movies on disc may only be available on DVD and 480i/p.

For streaming service, the content is a mixed bag of HD & SD. Realize, also, the streaming service typically does not offer new movie releases.

I've been a satisfied Netflix subscriber for over 6 years and added streaming when it became available a few years ago. The streaming content available from Netflix has only gotten better in the last few years, particularly for TV series.

I too forgo all of the movie channels on my local cable service and use Netflix disc/streaming & Amazon streaming services for all my movie watching.

It would be for the streaming service on my PS3.

I didn't know that about new movies. I assumed they had it all, just like in DVD form. Well, that kinda stinks. About how long after a movie comes out on DVD does it becomes available through the streaming service?
post #5 of 13 Old 02-11-2012, 09:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 59
Quote:

It would be for the streaming service on my PS3.

You currently have the best device for Netflix streaming, along with the Roku 2 boxes. 1080p, 5.1 sound if it's available on the title.

Most other devices are limited to 720p or stereo (or both.)

Quote:

About how long after a movie comes out on DVD does it becomes available through the streaming service?

There is no set schedule like that, and it isn't tied to the DVDs. It all depends on the rights negotiated by Netflix and the content providers. Also, not everything stays available as streaming.

I hate to tell you this, but it's catch as catch can. If you must have new releases in HD, look elsewhere, like VUDU.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #6 of 13 Old 02-11-2012, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa View Post

I hate to tell you this, but it's catch as catch can. If you must have new releases in HD, look elsewhere, like VUDU.

Honestly, I don't need to see new releases as soon as they become available. Hell, for all these years I have waited until a movie I wanted to see came on HBO or Showtime.

It's just that lately I've had a hankering for some older movies (70's - 00's) and every time I do a search for them on DirecTV (even with all the On Demand channels) I can hardly find any of the titles I'm looking for. Then, when I do find them, a lot aren't in HD and I don't want to waste my time watching in bad resolution. That's why I'm asking about the majority of titles of Netflix being in HD.
post #7 of 13 Old 02-11-2012, 09:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I see.

Then your chances are better, but it's still tough to say. Try using Instantwatcher.com to see if what you want is there. It tells you whether HD is available.

VUDU has purportedly the most content in HD, and a fair mix of new and old. It's pay as you go, no fees to sign up. Its prices are higher than most (up to $6), but they give you a free movie rental to sign up, have lots of 99 cent and $2 deals, and are a good way to supplement Netflix.

Amazon also carries streaming. If you're a Prime member, it's included.

post #8 of 13 Old 02-11-2012, 09:45 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:

Agreed ... if a user is looking for full HD streaming new releases, they will pay significantly more $$$$ than the relatively cheap $8 unlimited Netflix service.

Amazon on-demand typically has all new releases available for immediate streaming but at $4 to $5 per movie. Vudu is another service that offers new releases but again for more $$$$ than a monthly flat rate.

The reality is new content cost $$$$ and no service is currently giving it away for free (or $8/month).
post #9 of 13 Old 02-11-2012, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:

I didn't know that about new movies. I assumed they had it all, just like in DVD form. Well, that kinda stinks. About how long after a movie comes out on DVD does it becomes available through the streaming service?

Netflix must buy streaming rights for all titles available in the streaming catalog, and the studios do not make those available on everything that they release on dvd. While Instant Watch is no different than a pay tv channel-streaming delivery aside, the major studios have adopted an antagonistic approach to the service and are treating it differently than they treat HBO, Showtime, et al. Another issue, is that those pay channels have been buying up streaming licenses to new, recent and popular hit and classics, which prevents NF from getting hold of them. They do have a deal with the Epix pay channel, where they've gained access to recent hits and other movies that Epix has licensed (Ironman 2, Captain American later this year).
So as mentioned, you won't see as many big hits from the last year as you'd like. But there is still, IMO, plenty there to enjoy. It all depends on you.

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #10 of 13 Old 02-11-2012, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked: 377
Quote:

Honestly, I don't need to see new releases as soon as they become available. Hell, for all these years I have waited until a movie I wanted to see came on HBO or Showtime.

It's just that lately I've had a hankering for some older movies (70's - 00's) and every time I do a search for them on DirecTV (even with all the On Demand channels) I can hardly find any of the titles I'm looking for. Then, when I do find them, a lot aren't in HD and I don't want to waste my time watching in bad resolution. That's why I'm asking about the majority of titles of Netflix being in HD.

SD on Netflix is completely different than SD on DirecTV (think DVD quality versus Etch-A-Sketch). I find most of it quite watchable. I refuse to watch SD on DirecTV it looks so bad. If PQ is your main concern, I don't think you'll be disappointed, even if some of the older stuff is still SD.
post #11 of 13 Old 02-11-2012, 05:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

And you have a month to try it.

post #12 of 13 Old 02-12-2012, 07:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks for all the info guys. It's much appreciated.

Quote:

Try using Instantwatcher.com to see if what you want is there. It tells you whether HD is available.

Not sure if I'm using that site correctly, but when I put in a title, the only thing I can see is another link that says to search Netflix for said title. Am I missing something else on that site?

Also, when I do a search on Netflix, I am seeing where is says "available in DVD", "available in Blu-Ray and Streaming", etc. If the title does not say streaming, am I to assume that the only way to get the movie I'm looking for is through disc format?

Quote:

And you have a month to try it.

Yeah, I thought that myself. I could figure out how it all works and what is available and in what formats in that time. Just figured I'd ask first to get an idea of what to expect.

Anyway, thanks again to all for the info.
post #13 of 13 Old 02-12-2012, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 65
^^There is an HD tab at instantwatcher, that brings up all available HD titles...

Non subscribers searching the Netflix site, any title you search for will list it's availability options...if there's no streaming listed beside the disc options, then it's not a title that is on Instant Watch.

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page