Blockbuster dropping servcie for 2009 Samsung Blu Ray players... - AVS Forum
Video Download Services & Hardware > Blockbuster dropping servcie for 2009 Samsung Blu Ray players...
edeangel's Avatar edeangel 12:18 PM 02-16-2012
I have the BD-P1590 that does both Netflix and Blockbuster.

I got an email that Blockbuster is dropping support for the device at the end of March. That was less than a 3 year life cycle. Seems ridiculous.

They said: good news, you'll still have all the movies you bought from us, you just can't watch them on the home theater you have any more, but you'll get that nice warm feeling in your lap as you sit in bed with your laptop watching on a 13" screen!

king3pj's Avatar king3pj 03:40 PM 02-16-2012
I also got that email about my Toshiba BDX3000. I only used it once when they gave me my free rental. Ever since then I have used either VUDO or Dish PPV/VOD for new releases because the quality seemed better to me.

Losing movies you purchased is a bummer though. I guess that is the downside to buying content that requires streaming instead of giving you the option to download.I have never bought a movie from blockbuster or VUDU because if I'm going to actually buy a movie I want the disk in my hand.
GURAGU's Avatar GURAGU 01:27 PM 03-14-2012
They dropped support for my Toshiba player, and every BluRay except some Samsung models. Strangely enough, I see they ran a Xmas promotion where if you signed up for their service for 12 months, you got a specially priced Toshiba BluRay. That was just three months ago!. I think if you are reference sold a device you have a reasonable expectation that the service won't be terminated on the device in a couple of months.
mproper's Avatar mproper 02:37 PM 03-14-2012
So by "dropped support" you mean they terminated service?

Usually when a company drops support, it gets stuck in limbo with no new updates and you can't call about issues, not that you can't still use it. You know, like how Adobe supposedly no longer supports mobile Flash, but yet Flash still works fine on my phone.
h0mi's Avatar h0mi 02:13 PM 03-28-2012
This appears to be more widespread. Doing a google search I found this

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/update...dfwdtv_livehub

Quote:

Blockbuster video download service will no longer be supported on the WD TV as of 3/31/2012. You will still be able to watch your purchased videos.

http://tivolovers.livejournal.com/818174.html

Quote:

Last Thursday, just after returning from my honeymoon, I received this as a tip from a reader, William:

Dear William,

We have some good news and some bad news. The bad news is that, as of 3/31/12, the Blockbuster app will no longer be available on your TiVo DVR. We are updating our technology platform and will not be able to continue supporting your device.

You won’t be able to watch movies from Blockbuster On Demand on your device, but you can still watch on any of our other devices or stream via PC or Mac. See a list of supported devices.

Your friends at Blockbuster

Up
Mobile  Desktop