Panny Veirra Connect vs. Easy IpTV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 02-16-2012, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm on the market for a 32" HD TV. I was ready to get a Panny E3, and then I noticed it only has the poor man's "Easy IPTV", not the Vierra Connect.

My past experience has been disappointing as my 2009 Panny S series plasma came with a rather limited set of apps under their Vierra Cast moniker, but before Panasonic did much to expand the apps offerings, they stopped updating it instead moving on to their "next generation" of Vierra Cast, which then morphed into Vierra Connect.

Here's what I found out from the Panasonic press release: VIERA Connect has such apps as CinemaNow, Hulu Plus, Napster, Facebook and sports sites including MLB.TV, MLS Matchday Live, NBA Game Time, and NHL Game Center. On the other hand, Panasonic don't seem to have anywhere on the web site where you can "test drive" Viera connect.

Easy IPTV sounds like a run-of-the-mill menu of six static apps (Netflix, Amazon VOD, CinemaNow , Napster, Pandora and Facebook), most of which are already on my blu ray player.)

So the question is: what kind of commitment is it reasonable to expect to the Vierra Connect service? Where do you think it is headed - it seems to be pretty sports "live streaming" content centered ATM? But the buzz in digital "online" movies seems to be cloud based content "lockers" like Ultraviolet. If Vierra Connect is part of Panasonic's long term technology strategy, why isn't it on more of their sets instead of the relatively meager Easy IPTV?? Is is likely to be updated for services like Ultraviolet, or is it going to be necessary to start looking for another Internet TV / Streaming Player with those features in a few months?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2012, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter

Just noticed on the 2112 E5 spec page for 32 inch class, it doesn't have Vierra Connect.

It has something called "Online Movies" which looks like a re-branding of "Easy IPTV" (the graphic shows Netflix, Amazon VOD, Cinnema Now, hulu plus, and vudu).
Old 02-16-2012, 01:55 PM

This isn't an answer to your question, but from my experience, you're much better off ignoring Viera Connect and getting a Roku. I have the p42st30, and find Viera Connect to be slow and cumbersome. You can't search for titles in the netflix app - only browse you queue and categories. Amazon Prime is a bit better, but still not as nice as Roku's version. I fully expected to be able to retire the roku (and mine's the old gen 1 device) with a new Smart tv, but that didn't happen.

I'd spend $50 on the roku and attach it to whatever TV made sense.
Old 02-16-2012, 02:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 553 Post(s)
Liked: 429
+1

I think it's all marketing BS. Panasonic has called their suite of apps something different every year or two and has different flavors of it for different devices (BD75 has only a couple of apps, BD110 has the whole suite). When they decide to rename the latest one, I wouldn't expect much of any support for the previous version. I've had 3 Panny players in 3 years, all of which have had a different app platform, none of which are supported today except the latest one. One thing is certain: the TV versions of their apps are significantly worse than their disc player versions, according to users who've seen the PQ of both.

No matter what TV you get, its suite of apps will be out of date in 6 months and no longer supported after a couple of years. At that point you have a good 10 years of life left on your TV with a worthless suite of apps. For that reason alone, it's better to skip the TV model loaded with apps and get a cheap external box you can replace when it's obsolete, like a Roku or disc player.

My 2 cents
Old 02-16-2012, 02:15 PM

I have a 55in panny with viera connect. I don't use it. Its too slow. I'd rather use googletv or xb360 as the interface is better and updated more often.