Using a Roku XH (2050X) via component? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 02-19-2012, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Anyone have experience using a converter to take output from a Roku XD (2050X) to a TV using component input? Like an HDFury3 and the like.

I've got a TV (Pioneer 50" plasma) that's short on HDMI inputs, but has two component ports free. I'd like to use an HDMI to component adapter to take the HDMI output from the Roku and convert it to component for the TV.

Has anyone used such a converter and have real-world advice on the experience?

(yes, I asked this same question for an Apple TV 2). I could use either the Apple TV or the Roku through an adapter, or potentially both through their own.

And no, the question isn't whether an AVR would be involved. There isn't one and won't be for this particular set up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 02-19-2012, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 117
My daughter's Samsung plasma had the same problem, only 2 HDMI inputs. She owned a PS3 and Panasonic Blu-ray player and then bought the Apple TV streamer. I solved her problem by putting the Apple TV HDMI into one of the Samsung inputs and then used a Monoprice 2X1 Mini HDMI® Switch for the PS3 and Panasonic which went into the other HDMI input. Switch sells for around $12 plus shipping. Also buy yourself a few short HDMI cables if you order.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #3 of 10 Old 02-19-2012, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yeah, a switch could be used but that complicates the effort necessary to change the inputs. When using one of the standard inputs it's easy to just use the TV's own remote, or the INPUT selection button on a universal. Using the separate monoprice switcher (or any of them for that matter) would require either using their remote or a manual button press.

Now, account for the WAF (wife appreciation factor) and you'll understand why I don't want to make this any more complicated than necessary. It's bad enough saying "use input X for device Y". It'd be a bad plan to increase that to "use input X and then switch 2 to get device Z". Marital bliss is not usually found by overcomplicating the television...

So my question remains, anyone using an HDMI to component converter with an Apple TV and having success with it?
post #4 of 10 Old 02-19-2012, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Read the description - it auto-senses the input source.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #5 of 10 Old 02-19-2012, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Honestly, I appreciate the suggestion about using a switch (monoprice has nice stuff). But that's not the question I asked.

Auto sense is a bit pointless when you're likely to have devices that stay active all the time. Or you want to deliberately switch between ones that may or may not be active. Auto sensing can actually make for more trouble than it's worth.

I would hope that when asking a specific question I wouldn't have to follow up with all the reasons why I'm NOT using something else. It's not like I asked "how do I use more than one HDMI device into a single HDMI port". Had I asked that, then yes, a response about a switch would have been great. But that ISN'T what I asked.
post #6 of 10 Old 02-19-2012, 02:54 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post

But that ISN'T what I asked.

This doesn't exactly answer what you asked either; however, you could get a Roku XDS which has a component output for far less than what an HDFury3 would cost. I just bought an XDS (through Amazon as Roku doesn't seem to sell them directly anymore) for around $100. The HDFury3, which I bought about a year ago, cost around $300.

Anyway, if the HDFury3 works as advertised, then it should do what you are asking. However, it would cost a lot, and I think it would involve an extra power supply. A Roku XDS would be a better solution.
post #7 of 10 Old 02-19-2012, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yeah, I hear ya. I don't really use the Roku enough as it is. I'm not sold on their solution versus other means I have to stream media.

We already have several Tivo DVRs, an Apple TV 2, a Mac Mini, a Windows Media Center PC and a Sony Blu-Ray player that has an ethernet connection. So it's not like we're pressed for means to handle the media. And given the Kw all this can consume, yet another power supply ain't gonna tip the balance.

I picked up the Roku cheap via Woot a couple of months ago, mainly to see if it's Netflix player sucked less than the other options (it sucks equally). So I'm just looking for as 'hassle free' a solution as possible to get the XD connected.

I've seen some cheaper HDMI-component gizmos on Amazon, but the reviews are all over the scale. The main hassle most of the reviewers seem to have is their TV sets don't have the ability to handle different resolutions. Often stuck with one that's not compatible with a signal run through a converter. I don't have that problem with the Pioneer as it handles everything you can throw at a it.

So I figured it'd be worth tossing out the question here and see if anyone had actual hands-on experience with devices like this.

And thanks for staying close to the question, that's much appreciated!
post #8 of 10 Old 02-19-2012, 05:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 59
My dad has an older RPTV with component, so I set him up with an HDMI to component converter for his new PS3 (HDMI only.) I don't know what else to tell you beyond the fact that I hooked it up and it worked.

I don't know what brand it is, but it looks just like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/HDMI-RCA-compo...9700114&sr=8-1

The HDFury3 does a lot more, which is why it is priced higher. Honestly, I can't see spending that much on one (especially since as stated you can get the Roku XDS for cheaper and just be done with it), unless you need one of its specialized specs or features.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #9 of 10 Old 02-19-2012, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Recent discussion about HDMI-component converters here. Apparently the cheap ones work but output the image off-center, at least when it comes to this specific device's input.
post #10 of 10 Old 02-24-2012, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I picked up one of these from Amazon: "HDMI to 5 RCA component AV Converter" by CT
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002WBOQPU

It seems to work reasonably well. The overall brightness isn't quite as high as a direct HDMI connection. But it's not dim by any stretch of the imagination. I also found it worked well passing 720p from an Apple TV too, albeit also with a slight drop in overall brightness. I have not tweaked any settings to see about improving the situation, it may well be possible the component input levels on the TV are the issue, don't yet know.

But if you're looking for a reasonably inexpensive way to convert your HDMI output to component then this one might be worth checking out.

NOTE: This is just a converter, it DOES NOT change the scaling or resolution. Your device must be capable of putting out a signal your TV can use on the component input. So if you've got a device that only outputs, say, 720p and your TV won't accept 720p via component then this gadget WILL NOT HELP YOU. It's not a design defect, that's not what this gizmo does. To change resolutions you'll need a scaler (up or down) and those likely cost a lot more than $33.

UPDATE: The brightness level through this isn't adequate. It's going back. Had to try, but looks like I'll just go for the viewHD instead. Either that or I may rejigger my cabling setups to run it though an AVR instead.
Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page