Copying online TV shows to DVD? Legal? and if so,what software? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 02-29-2012, 06:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
We are poor and so we had to discontinue cable and are OTA only. Unfortunately, some of my wife's favorite shows are on USA network. Upon checking, some of them are available for free online, but our only computer is in the office and we have no way to hook that up to our TV.

Is there a way to copy the online streamed TV shows to DVD for viewing on our TV?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 02-29-2012, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 65
If you have broadband internet, then a cheap Win XP desktop in the tv room connected to the television would allow you access to Hulu-the free version, plus cable network's own websites where you can watch anytime you wish. No need for burning discs either.

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #3 of 13 Old 02-29-2012, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westly-C View Post

If you have broadband internet, then a cheap Win XP desktop in the tv room connected to the television would allow you access to Hulu-the free version, plus cable network's own websites where you can watch anytime you wish. No need for burning discs either.

We have slow, but cheap broadband internet and can watch videos online such as those on the USA website. We only have notebooks though, but probably could use one of them connected via HDMI to the HDTV to watch TV shows that way.... but, we also have an Xbox live fanatic and don't know how well the shows would stream while COD is being played upstairs?

It would be much easier to just use DVD-RWs to record shows, watch them whenever we wanted, and then record the next batch of shows over the top of the old ones.

Or, maybe the HDTV will even play back TV shows from a 6GB finger drive?

Found a program called WMRecorder which does what I want(online flv to DVD) but the free version only records 5 minutes and the pay version is $50... which is money I just don't have right now.
post #4 of 13 Old 02-29-2012, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Bet what you pay for slow but cheap broadband would buy fast but cheap broadband in another country. The US is SO backward.
post #5 of 13 Old 02-29-2012, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post

Bet what you pay for slow but cheap broadband would buy fast but cheap broadband in another country. The US is SO backward.

According to SpeedTest(Mb/sec)
Download 2.85
Upload 0.54

$12.99/mo

I guess you get what you pay for....

Just watched a Covert Affairs using Hulu and at 480p, it looked great with no lags or pixelization. Wonder how it would look though if my son was playing COD online on the internet at the same time?
post #6 of 13 Old 02-29-2012, 12:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Probably look the same, just lots of buffering.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #7 of 13 Old 03-01-2012, 12:33 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Morris View Post

According to SpeedTest(Mb/sec)
Download 2.85
Upload 0.54

$12.99/mo

I guess you get what you pay for....

Just watched a Covert Affairs using Hulu and at 480p, it looked great with no lags or pixelization. Wonder how it would look though if my son was playing COD online on the internet at the same time?

Look on the bright side, it could be worse. We pay $53 for similar internet. Save up for a roku, it would solve your problem.
post #8 of 13 Old 03-02-2012, 08:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by huskerbear View Post

Look on the bright side, it could be worse. We pay $53 for similar internet. Save up for a roku, it would solve your problem.

We were paying just a little more than that with Comcast(including basic cable TV) but got something like double the bandwidth. Dropped them when they started requiring stbs for every TV and increased cablecard pricing from $2 to $7 month.

Don't know how the Roku will solve our problem though... Unless there is a Roku DVR or you can record the output of the Roku so we can download TV shows we want to watch at night when we are asleep when no one else is using the bandwidth for their laptop, phone or Xbox live.
post #9 of 13 Old 03-02-2012, 08:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

You can record from a Roku with a DVD recorder (or anything that records with line level.) But you're looking at $50 for the cheapest Roku (and for the recorder if you don't already have that on your computers.) The Roku 2 HD is on sale right now, though.

There isn't much software out there that doesn't cost at least as much as these boxes.

post #10 of 13 Old 03-02-2012, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa View Post

You can record from a Roku with a DVD recorder (or anything that records with line level.) But you're looking at $50 for the cheapest Roku (and for the recorder if you don't already have that on your computers.) The Roku 2 HD is on sale right now, though.

There isn't much software out there that doesn't cost at least as much as these boxes.

Thanks for all the great advice, but at $50(+20 cents/DVD), the WM Recorder suite(plus freeware ImgBurn) is looking better and better as an option.
post #11 of 13 Old 03-02-2012, 11:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Understood. Just giving you a disc-less option. Roku boxes also have access to a lot of channels, with a lot of free options (Crackle, etc.)

Although honestly I'd spring for a Sony SMP-N100 and get DLNA capability to play whatever is on the hard drive of the computer anywhere in the house. Pair it with Play-On and you can stream free Hulu.

post #12 of 13 Old 03-02-2012, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa View Post

Understood. Just giving you a disc-less option. Roku boxes also have access to a lot of channels, with a lot of free options (Crackle, etc.)

Although honestly I'd spring for a Sony SMP-N100 and get DLNA capability to play whatever is on the hard drive of the computer anywhere in the house. Pair it with Play-On and you can stream free Hulu.

Hmmm, Sony units can be had for around $50 too.

I am a noob about all this stuff but my laptops have WiMax capability in them and from what I think I know, all I need are some sort of receivers connected to my HDTVs to stream Hulu? Is that correct?

Another option might be to simply save the Hulu TV shows to my external USB HDD and then carry the drive to hook up to the DVDs or HDTVs USB port for playback? Although even if that did work, I guess I couldn't stop FF or Rew while watching?
post #13 of 13 Old 03-02-2012, 05:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Morris View Post

I am a noob about all this stuff but my laptops have WiMax capability in them and from what I think I know, all I need are some sort of receivers connected to my HDTVs to stream Hulu? Is that correct?

You need to be able to set up your computer as a media server. Play-On is one type of software, but it costs money. Then yeah, you just need a DLNA device. I use my blu-ray player, but there are TVs and other devices that are compliant.

Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page