Wow, Netflix is definitely not what I expected when I signed up - Page 4 - AVS Forum
First ... 2  3  4 5 
Video Download Services & Hardware > Wow, Netflix is definitely not what I expected when I signed up
gremmy's Avatar gremmy 11:39 AM 03-19-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

Ever hear of a DVR?

I figured someone was going to call me on the DVR thing... I'm actually surprised it was only 1 person (unless we count the small peanut gallery who appeared to be agreeing with you). I almost included my thoughts on DVR usage in my original post, but for some reason did not.

I rarely use the DVR. Aside from maybe 2 serials on AMC and the odd movie here and there, there's nothing on cable that I know ahead of time I want to watch. I used to take the time to scan all the program listings looking for stuff to DVR until I realized that I rarely wanted to record any of it. What little there is worth watching isn't worth the time to scan and click, aside from (like I said) the odd serial or movie here and there. I set up a season pass for The Walking Dead and I will do the same this season for Breaking Bad, but that's really about it.

For me personally, Netflix offers many more "on demand" options with less hassle than a DVR ever could.

Charles R's Avatar Charles R 11:48 AM 03-19-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by gremmy View Post

Well, the problem with the DVR is that you have to know what you want to watch in order to record it.

With Netflix, you just pick from a batch of programming that somebody else kindly recorded for you.

The problem with Netflix is most of what the DVR could have recorded isn't available. Frankly, I rather watch that I wanted versus someone else. You might want to hear about WishList too.
gremmy's Avatar gremmy 11:54 AM 03-19-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by saeyedoc View Post

Hilarious, who watches live TV?

Assuming you mean "TV that isn't DVR'd," I do.
gremmy's Avatar gremmy 11:59 AM 03-19-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

The problem with Netflix is most of what the DVR could have recorded isn't available. Frankly, I rather watch that I wanted versus someone else. You might want to hear about WishList too.

In my case (just my opinion of course), I find the stuff available on Netflix to be superior to most of the stuff on basic cable. For every "The Walking Dead" (not that AMC is really *basic* cable) there are 50 or 60 shows like Jerseylicious. And let's not forget the hours and hours of paid programming on in the middle of the night, which means there's even less to DVR. Several of those channels become black holes between midnight and 4am.
Charles R's Avatar Charles R 12:18 PM 03-19-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by gremmy View Post

In my case (just my opinion of course), I find the stuff available on Netflix to be superior to most of the stuff on basic cable..

I don't (completely) disagree. I have found Netflix great for watching TV series I have missed over the years. My initial comment was regarding TV and DVRs. Having used DVRs for over a decade I could never go back. I never sit down and find myself at the mercy of what's currently on. Nor do I watch commercials which is roughly 1/3 of the viewing time. Not only is it a waste of my time it interpets the experience. I simply think the two services are more different than similar and as such the continual one is better is rather silly.
gremmy's Avatar gremmy 12:21 PM 03-19-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

I simply think the two services are more different than similar and as such the continual one is better is rather silly.

I was with you until I got to this sentence. ^

I might agree with that one too, if I knew what it meant. I'm not being snarky (I promise), I'm just not sure what you meant by that. I think there might be a word missing?
moviegeek's Avatar moviegeek 12:32 PM 03-19-2012
I recently resubscribed to cable and got a DVR, I got a good monthly price and no contract. I dropped Hulu Plus because I can watch more shows that I like with my DVR or OnDemand. Speaking of a show that's worth watching right now: Frozen Planet on Discovery channel. As I wrote earlier, there's not much recent content on Netflix streaming right now but I can still enjoy a foreign film or documentary.
gremmy's Avatar gremmy 12:34 PM 03-19-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by moviegeek View Post

Speaking of a show that's worth watching right now: Frozen Planet on Discovery channel.

I caught some of this last night while I was "flipping around." Excellent!
Joe 6 Pack's Avatar Joe 6 Pack 12:37 PM 03-19-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by gremmy View Post

In my case (just my opinion of course), I find the stuff available on Netflix to be superior to most of the stuff on basic cable. For every "The Walking Dead" (not that AMC is really *basic* cable) there are 50 or 60 shows like Jerseylicious. And let's not forget the hours and hours of paid programming on in the middle of the night, which means there's even less to DVR. Several of those channels become black holes between midnight and 4am.

This is exactly the reason I'm canceling DirecTV once I receive my Assassin HTPC with TV tuner built in. Most of the stuff I DVR is stuff like The Simpsons, Family Guy, New Girl, etc. which come on regular free TV that I can record with WMC. The few cable shows I do DVR I can get via Netflix or Hulu even if it is a few seasons behind. I've got such a backlog of other stuff to watch including podcasts, seasons worth of anime shows, older TV shows I own that I haven't gotten around to watching like Deadwood and Spartacus, and numerous movies that being on the current season as it airs is not worth the $95 I was paying every month.

I also have severe insomnia so I'm usually up at those hours you mentioned and seeing all the unwatchable junk and paid programming that I'm paying for just sickens me. I'd rather pay $8 for Netflix and Hulu combined and when I'm up at 3 in the morning I can just select an episode of Futurama or American Dad from the hundreds of episodes available and watch it instantly instead of having to search through pages of crap to find something barely watchable.

Plus I only have a DVR on one TV now so if I'm in my bedroom or workout room I don't have access to that programming. I already have a Boxee Box that will be moved to my bedroom and will have an HTPC in the living room. I have an older PC in my workout room or I could just bring my laptop and hook it up to the HDTV if I need to so I'll have access to Netflix in every room instead of being tied to the living room for the little content I do record on the DVR as it is now.

I am going to miss the NFL Network and Food Network. Also, a lot of those cool documentaries like you mentioned won't be available for some time but they will either be available when they come out on Bluray from Blockbuster or be available for streaming somewhere down the line as I've seen a lot of cool Nat Geo and Discovery channel content on Netflix already.
mastermaybe's Avatar mastermaybe 01:59 PM 03-27-2012
I find netflix to be one of the oddest of eggs for me.

It's $8 so basically any gripe you have with it is nearly immedaitely washed away with...

It's $8.

Still, I've dumped it twice now because it was simply maddening to me who much they DIDN'T have. A colossal number of films I simply felt they should. End of dialogue, really. To each, his own.

the good news is it can only get better...right?

But after Starz exiting (only SD but I did watch a fair amount of it) who knows when it comes to the immediate future.

Oh, and it's $8.

Prolly no better-fitting service for: you get what you pay for.

James
xcrunner529's Avatar xcrunner529 02:47 PM 03-27-2012
If you like indies and TV a lot, it's a fantastic value.
marmitedog's Avatar marmitedog 09:37 AM 12-08-2013

Netflix = disappointing 


mailiang's Avatar mailiang 11:24 AM 12-08-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmitedog View Post

Netflix = disappointing 


Why? It would help to elaborate. wink.gif


Ian
Brian Conrad's Avatar Brian Conrad 01:32 PM 12-08-2013
I find a number of people when I read stories about Netflix complain in the comments that the can't watch current rentals there. That's a different model and there is Amazon, iTunes and Vudu (just to name a few since new ones seem to pop up every day). Basically sites like NF WI and Hulu+ are licensing stuff that has been through the mill rentwise though occasionally but only with minor titles like "Lovelace" will show up shortly after hitting the RB.
michaeltscott's Avatar michaeltscott 02:37 PM 12-08-2013
It'd be kind of hard to rent films if 25 million Netflix subs got immediate access to them as part of their $8/month all-you-can-stream plan. I don't know why people expect that that's what they're going to get. 4 or 5 of the most recent released-to-video films would cost you $20-$25 to rent; you're not going to get that for $8.
kemiza's Avatar kemiza 03:05 PM 12-08-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Imp View Post

Call me a noob, call me uninformed, call me anything you want. I probably deserve it for going in with such high expectations.


When I decided to finally get Netflix (for the streaming aspect) and drop most of my movie channels, I did so under the impression that I would be able to find almost any movie I want. What a shock it was when I started searching for a bunch of titles I wanted to see and almost nothing came back as being available.


I finally decided I wanted to see all of the Resident Evil movies because it's a pain to try and find them on regular movie channels so I can see them in order. Nothing! The only one that was available was the animated one which I didn't care about.


How about the Harry Potter series? They have to have that, right? Wrong! Not a single one was available. Are you kidding me?


Then I went through a list I compiled of over 20 movies that I either wanted to see for the first time or watch again from my past. I think maybe 4 showed up as being available to view.


I honestly thought that almost everything would be available for streaming just like it is for a physical copy.


Am I missing something here or is their streaming list really limited?
They guaranteed streaming movies, tv sitcoms and documentaries for 8 bucks. They didn't say what they were going to stream.
Westly-C's Avatar Westly-C 03:41 PM 12-08-2013

A year and 9 months ago...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Westly-C View Post

Another factor I'd like to point...the pay channels starting buying up streaming rights to the movies they licensed to run on their linear channels long before Instant Watch was started, even though they didn't know what to do with them. That means if popular movies-regardless of age, are under license to Showtime, HBO, or Starz, Netflix is unable to gain access to them. That was the impetus behind the Starz deal nearly 4 years ago-Starz had it's own streaming service available only to it's subscribers, and the deal allowed Netflix to essentially sublet movies Starz controlled internet distribution rights to. That is the primary reason why so many hits from the past few decades are not present on the service.
Its' really an odd situation...nobody signs up to HBO expecting EVERY single movie they want to see on the channel. No single channel will carry everything, and that's just how the studios like it. More services equals more and prolonged sales life for the content they own.

It doesn't bother me that one may not like the service. But it does gets irksome when someone wants everything available to them, and refuse to recognize that they've never had a single service that could provide every title one could want. That's a nice dream, but sadly, with competition signing exclusive distribution deals with various studios/production entities,, we'll never see that happen. Using a Pay per view service and subscribe to all the monthly pay tv services- you still wouldn't get everything you wanted.
 


olyteddy's Avatar olyteddy 04:17 PM 12-08-2013
Will the new Hobbit movie be on NetFlix in January 2014? It will have been in the theatre for a week or so by then. Surely everyone who cares to pay to see it will have seen it by then... rolleyes.gif
mailiang's Avatar mailiang 04:22 PM 12-08-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcrunner529 View Post

If you like indies and TV a lot, it's a fantastic value.


I have found some great indie films that I have never seen anywhere else, and there is an abundance of them. BTW, just watched The Sweeney with Ray Winstone. Great flick. You can also watch it on Vudu, but it will cost you 5 bucks! wink.gif


Ian
MonarchX's Avatar MonarchX 05:15 PM 12-08-2013
It is worth the money IMO. I couldn't take watching satellite or cable TV with all the ads and the same crappy movies repeating again and again and again, and in 3 months they repeat them again! The only downside is that I used to feel a bit connected to the world when I had regular TV. Netflix has many awesome shows, I think the best ones, but it won't have the best of the best movies and my favorites like LOTR, Star Wars, Harry Potter, Matrix, The Fast and the Furious, Batman, or even X-Files Fight the Future and Undisputed 2 & 3. Still, I watched all of:

Caprica
Battlestar Galactica
Alias
Nikita
StarGate SG-1 when it was available
X-Files
Breaking Bad
Lost
Dollhouse
Continuum
Firefly
Farscape
Doctor Who
Heroes
Hemlock Grove
Vampire Diaries

...and that's just from the top of my head. I won't even bother to list all the movies I watched.

Hell, the documentaries about the Universe alone are worth the price! Everyone should watch those gorgeous documentaries on how things came to be - Big Bang, etc.!
mailiang's Avatar mailiang 09:33 PM 12-08-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonarchX View Post

It is worth the money IMO. I couldn't take watching satellite or cable TV with all the ads and the same crappy movies repeating again and again and again, and in 3 months they repeat them again! The only downside is that I used to feel a bit connected to the world when I had regular TV. Netflix has many awesome shows, I think the best ones, but it won't have the best of the best movies and my favorites like LOTR, Star Wars, Harry Potter, Matrix, The Fast and the Furious, Batman, or even X-Files Fight the Future and Undisputed 2 & 3. Still, I watched all of:

Caprica
Battlestar Galactica
Alias
Nikita
StarGate SG-1 when it was available
X-Files
Breaking Bad
Lost
Dollhouse
Continuum
Firefly
Farscape
Doctor Who
Heroes
Hemlock Grove
Vampire Diaries

...and that's just from the top of my head. I won't even bother to list all the movies I watched.

Hell, the documentaries about the Universe alone are worth the price! Everyone should watch those gorgeous documentaries on how things came to be - Big Bang, etc.!



What, no House Of Cards?



Ian biggrin.gif
mgkdragn's Avatar mgkdragn 09:16 AM 12-09-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

It'd be kind of hard to rent films if 25 million Netflix subs got immediate access to them as part of their $8/month all-you-can-stream plan. I don't know why people expect that that's what they're going to get. 4 or 5 of the most recent released-to-video films would cost you $20-$25 to rent; you're not going to get that for $8.

The series / the original programming / the wealth of documentaries that you can't find anywhere else / the small films that you never hear about .. all are well worth the cost of admission for me .. people (like me .. smile.gif ) support PBS with a $10.00 a month donation and I probably only catch 4-5 PBS shows a month .. the $8.00 bucks a month NF plan is, IMO, the best entertainment value there is ..
mgkdragn's Avatar mgkdragn 09:18 AM 12-09-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonarchX View Post

It is worth the money IMO. I couldn't take watching satellite or cable TV with all the ads and the same crappy movies repeating again and again and again, and in 3 months they repeat them again! The only downside is that I used to feel a bit connected to the world when I had regular TV. Netflix has many awesome shows, I think the best ones, but it won't have the best of the best movies and my favorites like LOTR, Star Wars, Harry Potter, Matrix, The Fast and the Furious, Batman, or even X-Files Fight the Future and Undisputed 2 & 3. Still, I watched all of:

Caprica
Battlestar Galactica
Alias
Nikita
StarGate SG-1 when it was available
X-Files
Breaking Bad
Lost
Dollhouse
Continuum
Firefly
Farscape
Doctor Who
Heroes
Hemlock Grove
Vampire Diaries

...and that's just from the top of my head. I won't even bother to list all the movies I watched.

Hell, the documentaries about the Universe alone are worth the price! Everyone should watch those gorgeous documentaries on how things came to be - Big Bang, etc.!

You admit to watching "Vampire Diaries" .. ?? wink.gif
Chris NYC's Avatar Chris NYC 11:42 AM 12-09-2013
Having access to all films and TV shows available, outside of perhaps what's currently in the theaters, would be a killer app. Think Spotify for video. The goddamn anti-consumer studios and networks will never let it happen. I'd pay $50 a month for such a service. Money far better spent than on the antiquated cable TV model which no longer has a place in today's market.
Brian Conrad's Avatar Brian Conrad 11:54 AM 12-09-2013
Most indie distributors are having problems finding outlets for their films. How many arthouses do you have in your communities anymore who would have booked an indie film or two? So they move their films to places like VUDU where they show them before "release in theaters" for a higher rental fee, then "in theaters" for a slightly lower rental fee and then rental for their usual fee. Sometimes these same films when they go to rental will also show up on NF. Why, because not everyone is going to even watch $8 worth of movies a month on NF so renting their "one" movie a month on VUDU or Amazon may fit their bill.

According to a seminar I watched online about video distribution the industry is hurting. No one is making any money. There was a day that a distributor could count on selling through 10,000 copies of a DVD. No more, they're luck if they can sell through a 1000. Blame it on the democratization of the arts which I think is actually a good thing.
JoeSchmoe007's Avatar JoeSchmoe007 12:33 PM 12-09-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post

...
According to a seminar I watched online about video distribution the industry is hurting. No one is making any money. There was a day that a distributor could count on selling through 10,000 copies of a DVD. No more, they're luck if they can sell through a 1000. Blame it on the democratization of the arts which I think is actually a good thing.

I will also blame it on quality of the product. 90-95% of recent movies/shows are just not worth watching, let alone buying. The last time I was in movie theater was when I watched "Gravity" and before that - I just can't remember.
mgkdragn's Avatar mgkdragn 02:36 PM 12-09-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post

Most indie distributors are having problems finding outlets for their films. How many arthouses do you have in your communities anymore who would have booked an indie film or two? So they move their films to places like VUDU where they show them before "release in theaters" for a higher rental fee, then "in theaters" for a slightly lower rental fee and then rental for their usual fee. Sometimes these same films when they go to rental will also show up on NF. Why, because not everyone is going to even watch $8 worth of movies a month on NF so renting their "one" movie a month on VUDU or Amazon may fit their bill.

According to a seminar I watched online about video distribution the industry is hurting. No one is making any money. There was a day that a distributor could count on selling through 10,000 copies of a DVD. No more, they're luck if they can sell through a 1000. Blame it on the democratization of the arts which I think is actually a good thing.

Major studios, in particular, have increasingly internalized their distribution methods, further limiting the market need for outside distributors ..
subavision212's Avatar subavision212 09:31 AM 12-10-2013
Netflix is amazing for people who love MOVIES! I've accumulated a list of hundreds of films over the 50 years I've be going to the movies that I've never been able to rent or buy to finally see. I've found every one on Netflix by stream or DVD. Here is a link:
http://www.metacritic.com/browse/dvds/release-date/new-releases/metascore?view=condensed
It lists all current releases by numerical rating and reviews. You can find tons of great films there that are on Netflix. They also have lists for the highest rated films for each if the last ten years and all time. Check them out and start enjoying the immense diversity of film outside big Hollywood releases. You'll be glad you did.
Brian Conrad's Avatar Brian Conrad 12:50 PM 12-10-2013
What we're missing are the TV shows in Europe that get blocked in the US because of US network deals. Those would be the original Danish version of "The Killing" plus "The Bridge". Both of those would be excellent candidates for Netflix or Hulu but aren't happening. Some of the second tier UK shows are on Hulu as well as some other Europe and Asian series. I have plenty of things to watch while shows go on hiatus in December and January.
Brian Conrad's Avatar Brian Conrad 01:01 PM 12-10-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

Major studios, in particular, have increasingly internalized their distribution methods, further limiting the market need for outside distributors ..
I posted the link to this video over in the 31 days of horror section but it is worth a watch to understand what has happened to distribution even though it is horror film oriented.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=nZuYKmkkZk8

Also check out Uwe Boll's commentary on "Assault on Wall Street" where he discusses what is happening in distribution these days and how little Showtime and HBO will pay to show your film.
First ... 2  3  4 5 

Up
Mobile  Desktop