Who has HULU Plus? - Page 10 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 14Likes
post #271 of 349 Unread 02-03-2016, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1151 Post(s)
Liked: 530
So I pay $9 a month for Showtime and I found over time I watched more on Showtime than HBO when I had cable. I'm not a GOT fan BTW. If HBO lowered Now's price to $9 a month I might consider it. But Time Warner is blowing it big time by trying to get shows delayed more than the next day. Again where do they get the CEOs for these companies? Whatever happened to "the customers is always right?" It seems we have the return of the robber barons (as if they ever went away).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 349 Unread 02-03-2016, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

I also have to mention that after months of never seeing a rebuffer on Hulu+, last night was terrible. These always happen near the top of the hour suggesting it's the net in general. Plus when this was happening on "Lucifer" well into the 9 PM hour I stopped, logged out of Hulu and back in again and it ran fine. So whatever server I got the first time was overloaded. This of course also works for Netflix and have done it numerous times when rebuffering occurs.
post #273 of 349 Unread 02-05-2016, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

"American Crime" last night came in at well over a bitrate needed for 720p and "Lucifer" at around 4.3 Mbps. AC is a bit more indie and grainy but Lucifer looked great especially on the well lite outdoor scenes. Certainly not NF 5.8 quality as I when watching a "Z Nation" episode. Funny to watch AC's censoring words by blanking the screen when they are said. Why they bother on Hulu is beyond me. Just give us your Euro or Canadian export.
post #274 of 349 Unread 02-09-2016, 12:53 PM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 13
So the miniseries adaptation of 11 22 63 is going to be on Hulu; can you watch it at the free level or do you have to have the paid level??? Not really finding any info one way or another.
post #275 of 349 Unread 02-10-2016, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 541 Post(s)
Liked: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtscribe View Post
So the miniseries adaptation of 11 22 63 is going to be on Hulu; can you watch it at the free level or do you have to have the paid level??? Not really finding any info one way or another.
I'm doubting that Hulu will stream this for free - but you're right - there is no word on this one way or the other. It's going to be doled out on a weekly basis rather than allow for binge watching. Perhaps Hulu will allow the first episode to stream for free as has been done for other shows on other streaming channels.

Some lackluster reviews of 11.22.63 are starting to post on the internet.

Review: Hulu's '11.22.63' mini-series a dreary TV effort

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten Movies
post #276 of 349 Unread 02-10-2016, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Anyone else here having rebuffering problems and errors with Hulu? For months there was never a problem but in the last week or so they started showing up. Going to a Netflix stream no problem. Going to a VUDU HDX stream no problem. Checking broadband speed getting what I pay for and far above what is needed. Reading their Twitter support seems others are seeing the same thing. Same from Hulu users on some other sites. Many saying the same thing that there was no problem for months.

I hate contacting their support since they will want to your "reset your device to factory" which is not a solution especially if you are getting other streams just fine on your device.

Maybe there is a conspiracy. Maybe Time Warner is paying hackers to destroy Hulu?
post #277 of 349 Unread 02-10-2016, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I hit a spell where Hulu was problematic. (knock on wood) It mostly works now.

v/r,
C-F
post #278 of 349 Unread 02-10-2016, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 546 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Last time The Librarians refused to load on the Fire TV. Just sat there buffering for a long time then error out. On the 4th gen Apple TV it played fine.

Cats are the best pets.
post #279 of 349 Unread 02-11-2016, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

On the Apple TV 3 everything seems normal. Watched 3 shows in a row on Hulu last night between 9 and 11 PM CST. iZombie, The Flash and Sleepy Hollow.

To be more specific my TWC (15/1) feed comes out of Milwaukee, WI which is in the Midwest Cluster.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_Warner_Cable

EDIT: I should add I have been watching Hulu (commercial free). Before Hulu I watched about an hour on HBO Now.

Router chart below.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	atv3.png
Views:	20
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	1246193  

Last edited by Mr.G; 02-11-2016 at 09:23 AM.
post #280 of 349 Unread 02-11-2016, 08:37 AM

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
Anyone else here having rebuffering problems and errors with Hulu? For months there was never a problem but in the last week or so they started showing up.
This may sound conspiratorial, but once I upped to Ad-free, my playback issues in Hulu evaporated. I never had issues with buffering mid-stream. My issues pre-Ad free were cueing ads and cueing back to programs. Sometimes it'd would take up to a minute to find the media.
post #281 of 349 Unread 02-11-2016, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by calculon68 View Post
This may sound conspiratorial, but once I upped to Ad-free, my playback issues in Hulu evaporated. I never had issues with buffering mid-stream. My issues pre-Ad free were cueing ads and cueing back to programs. Sometimes it'd would take up to a minute to find the media.
I've had ad-free ever since they announced it. The way streaming usually works if you don't have ad-free is there is cue in the manifest to pause the program and play ads. Otherwise it plays continuously no cues for ads needed.

"Loading" also went away until recently and that was because there was usually an rating announcement at the beginning and often a network logo where they could buffer the program while those showed. The rating thing has gone away on some shows.

My problems recently were with watching shows earlier or at times I suspect that there is higher demand. However last fall I didn't seem to have a problem watching earlier. This is new.

Last night I watched a horror filmed that was just added called "Trace" and it played all the way through no problem. The file size was 2394 MB for a 90 minute movie. That works out to 3.5 Mbps. But the stream has a lot of high contract fine images right at the beginning beyond what one would see with 720p. The whole movie played as it would look in 1080p on Netflix. The other thing is that the film is 2:35:1 and you only need 75% of the bitrate required for a full screen 16:9 film for those.

The problem is that not all devices may be supporting 1080p on Hulu at them moment. Nor 4K. 4K you ask? Look at the browser title on this link to the Hulu app for the NVidia Shield TV (which I am running).
https://shield.nvidia.com/apps/hulu

Like all tech companies Hulu is very dynamic in it's development.

Or and after the movie I caught up on the remaining 24 minutes of "Shades of Blue" I failed to get to see the other night. The math there showed 5.8 Mbps. Note this was after 11 PM PST.
post #282 of 349 Unread 02-12-2016, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The problem is that not all devices may be supporting 1080p on Hulu at them moment. Nor 4K. 4K you ask? Look at the browser title on this link to the Hulu app for the NVidia Shield TV (which I am running).

https://shield.nvidia.com/apps/hulu

Like all tech companies Hulu is very dynamic in it's development.
I think Nvidia forgot to tell Hulu.

I'd be happier to see 5.1 sound before 4K. But then my system is strictly 1080p with no plans to upgrade until affordable 4K front projectors come to market.

As you say the problem is that not all devices support 1080p on Hulu - and that many programs are still 720p.
fredxr2d2 likes this.

post #283 of 349 Unread 02-12-2016, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
I think Nvidia forgot to tell Hulu.

I'd be happier to see 5.1 sound before 4K. But then my system is strictly 1080p with no plans to upgrade until affordable 4K front projectors come to market.

As you say the problem is that not all devices support 1080p on Hulu - and that many programs are still 720p.
AVS members may prefer 5.1 to 1080p but the general public doesn't all have surround system but many have larger screens these days being that they can be had for under $500. So I suspect management put 1080p at a bigger priority over sound. Most broadcast TV series probably don't get much sound design anyway and just use a editor plugin to create the 5.1 sound. But 5.1 would be nice.

All shows behaved last night.
post #284 of 349 Unread 02-14-2016, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

For those interested in some lite reading here is the Hulu tech blog.
http://tech.hulu.com/blog/

Facial recognition? Why would Hulu have an interest in that? I should post a link to some of the conspiracy sites.
post #285 of 349 Unread 02-14-2016, 01:55 PM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
AVS members may prefer 5.1 to 1080p but the general public doesn't all have surround system but many have larger screens these days being that they can be had for under $500. So I suspect management put 1080p at a bigger priority over sound. Most broadcast TV series probably don't get much sound design anyway and just use a editor plugin to create the 5.1 sound. But 5.1 would be nice.

You'd be surprised how many people have those sound bars that 'simulate' 5.1
post #286 of 349 Unread 02-14-2016, 02:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked: 1257
Quote:
For those interested in some lite reading here is the Hulu tech blog.
http://tech.hulu.com/blog/

Facial recognition? Why would Hulu have an interest in that? I should post a link to some of the conspiracy sites.

Thanks for the link! That facial recognition thing was a series of posts, starting with this overview. The purpose is to recognize faces in the video that they're serving so that players can offer information about the actors in a scene, like the "X-Ray" feature of Amazon Instant Video on Fire TV devices.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #287 of 349 Unread 02-14-2016, 02:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinj View Post
You'd be surprised how many people have those sound bars that 'simulate' 5.1

Yamaha originated the sound bar. Their first ones were quite elaborate and expensive, containing a large array of drivers, bouncing sound off the walls and ceilings to create surround sound imaging. As I recall they reviewed quite well. The concept has been largely watered down since then.

Here's a glimpse at the interior of their newest high-end model ($1600 w/o optional sub), the 128W MusicCast YSP-5600:

Spoiler!

It supposedly emulates a 7.1.2 speaker system. From Yamaha's page on the product: "Beautifully designed with 44 precisely calculated and positioned beam drivers and two woofers, the YSP-5600 effectively creates 7-channel sound beams (front left/right, center, surround left/right, height left/right)." (Seems more properly referred to as 5.1.2, or 5.0.2 sans sub). Hell of a lot easier to install than 7 speakers . Mount it under the TV, plug in up to 4 HDMI inputs (2.0, HDCP 2.2, 4K capable) and plug its HDMI out into your television and away you go .

post #288 of 349 Unread 02-15-2016, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Actually what I was saying is that members would prefer 1080p and 5.1 rather than 4K - at least in my case.

A move to 4K for me would require a new projector, a new AVR, a new UHD Blu-ray player and new 4K streamer/s. That's a chunk of change and given the amount of 4K material available that is worth watching I can hold out for a few more years.

It's true than broadcast TV series sometimes don't benefit much from having 5.1 sound but Hulu also has a collection of movies that would benefit from having the multi-channel format.

post #289 of 349 Unread 02-15-2016, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

As I finished "Billions" last night on Hulu+ I noticed their pop-up shows list at the bottom had "11.22.63" displayed. Of course, it's already Monday on the east coast! So I watched it uninterrupted with any re-buffering and very nice 1080p (2:1 aspect ratio). Still stereo though. I'm looking forward to the remaining episodes.
post #290 of 349 Unread 02-15-2016, 11:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1982 Post(s)
Liked: 900
I don't think it's right to state that Hulu is 1080p when you have no proof other than the bitrate is a little higher than it used to be and that it "looks" like 1080p to you. Have you actually gotten confirmation from Hulu or any other source that this is actually the case? Have you taken screenshots of 720p and Hulu's alleged 1080p and compared portions pixel for pixel?
post #291 of 349 Unread 02-15-2016, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 546 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
I don't think it's right to state that Hulu is 1080p when you have no proof other than the bitrate is a little higher than it used to be and that it "looks" like 1080p to you. Have you actually gotten confirmation from Hulu or any other source that this is actually the case? Have you taken screenshots of 720p and Hulu's alleged 1080p and compared portions pixel for pixel?
I can easily tell the difference especially if it 16:9. All SD 16:9 streaming looks horrible. DVD player up-conversion looks way better.

Cats are the best pets.
post #292 of 349 Unread 02-15-2016, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Many people on AVS learned to tell the difference with their eyes years ago between the "look" of 720p on ABC and FOX and the 1080i of NBC and CBS. The extra "crispness" of 1080 is quite obvious. Sorry if your device isn't delivering it.
reddice likes this.
post #293 of 349 Unread 02-15-2016, 09:07 PM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Watching 11.22.63, it is certainly not in 1080p, even though my SharpTv tells me it is being outputted 1080p from the Roku3.
post #294 of 349 Unread 02-15-2016, 09:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinj View Post
Watching 11.22.63, it is certainly not in 1080p, even though my SharpTv tells me it is being outputted 1080p from the Roku3.

If Hulu outputs 1080p it only does it from certain devices at this point, not including Roku 3. Your Roku 3 can only output a fixed resolution--if you set it to output 1080p everything is output as 1080@60Hz signal whether the source formation is 1080 res or not; if you set it to 720p, you get 720@60Hz from everything.

post #295 of 349 Unread 02-16-2016, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I understand your reluctance to accept that Hulu is streaming some shows in 1080p - I did not believe it either until I tested the streaming rates on Hulu recently using several devices I own. The results were posted a few pages back. Out of the 4 devices I tested only the Apple TV 3 was streaming at a bitrate I consider 1080p - 6.3 Mbps. The Roku 3, Tivo Roamio and WDTV Live bitrates were much lower indicating 720p. According to a post in this thread the Nvidia Shield is also streaming Hulu in 1080p. There are probably others.

Last night I watched some streaming shows on my ATV3 in succession:

HBO Now - John Oliver (3.2 Mbps) - 720p (I am assuming)
Hulu - 11.22.63 (6.3 Mbps) - 1080p
Hulu - Scandal (6.3 Mbps) - 1080p
Netflix - Person of Interest (5.8 Mbps) - 1080p

I watched the real-time streaming bitrates during each show using the Tomato app on my router's firmware.

I find this Hulu thing to be similar to what happened on Amazon Prime...they gradually rolled out 1080p without telling anyone. It was only through testing for bitrates we were able to detect what they were up to. Makes sense that these companies beta test their infrastructure before making it common knowledge.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	hbo-hulu-netflix.png
Views:	21
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	1258097  

post #296 of 349 Unread 02-16-2016, 01:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Using Tomato, you need to look at at a 10 minute average from a segment after the first 10 minutes to eliminate higher consumption during initial buffering.

In any case, I'm willing to believe in 1080p Hulu, though as mdavej states, the evidence remains anecdotal.

post #297 of 349 Unread 02-16-2016, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
Using Tomato, you need to look at at a 10 minute average from a segment after the first 10 minutes to eliminate higher consumption during initial buffering.

In any case, I'm willing to believe in 1080p Hulu, though as mdavej states, the evidence remains anecdotal.
Yep, did that. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

post #298 of 349 Unread 02-17-2016, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Continued to look at bitrates last night. Watched two PBS shows on Amazon Prime which streamed at 10+ Mbps. Then switched to Hulu at 915 PM to watch the new X-Files episode followed by Sleepy Hollow and Arrow all streaming at 6.3 Mbps.

My method is to watch each show with my iPad on my lap, using the Tomato app to constantly monitor the bitrates during each show. I didn't realize that I could do real-time screenshots using the iPad which unfortunately I didn't do last night. But I created a screenshot from last night's viewing on my Mac this morning.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that the Amazon Prime viewing was done on my Tivo Roamio OTA. I switched over to my Apple TV 3 for the Hulu shows.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	amazon-hulu.png
Views:	29
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	1259833  

Last edited by Mr.G; 02-18-2016 at 07:02 AM.
post #299 of 349 Unread 02-18-2016, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 756 Post(s)
Liked: 583
Ive noticed that most of the programming look amazing recently. however this sort of coincides with my using my LG 65EF9500 OLED display. I realize that the display will upconvert, but it appear to be way better than 720p upconvert.
post #300 of 349 Unread 02-18-2016, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I have Amazon & Hulu and they have never looked better. But then, I did get an upgrade to the Charter 60Mbps recently, perhaps that has something to do with as well

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Video Download Services & Hardware