Who has HULU Plus? - Page 12 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 14Likes

Old 06-20-2016, 05:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 541 Post(s)
Liked: 278
^^^Which is strange since NBC is part of the Hulu conglomerate.

Quote:
Hulu is a subsidiary of Hulu, LLC, a joint venture of Disney–ABC Television Group (The Walt Disney Company),[7] Fox Broadcasting Company (21st Century Fox), and NBCUniversal Television Group (Comcast).

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten Movies
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2016, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1151 Post(s)
Liked: 530
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
NBC has chosen to stream it for free on their app and not share with Hulu. Their app is in HD and is on most streaming boxes. Watch quickly episode one season two expires 7/8/16, and then all the others will be rolling off on every week. The show actually is made by 20th Century Fox, previous seasons are available on Netflix. We should get used to this, Fox likes to have their stuff everywhere, but CBS, NBC, and soon to be ABC would rather you come to their sites where they can keep
the ad revenue.
Did they stream it without ads on the app like they did on broadcast TV?
Old 06-20-2016, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked: 490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
Did they stream it without ads on the app like they did on broadcast TV?
No, they put ads with everything, but they have more show episodes for free without log ins from cable/sat providers, then many of the other networks.

"If you build it they will come.." Ok, what is this "It" you speak of and who, are they???! Do I want to know?...
Old 06-20-2016, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Just read a story that CW may be moving their recent episodes off of Hulu, and onto their own web site. In a slight plus, Netflix may get a full season only a few weeks after the season ends instead of a few months later.

https://www.engadget.com/2016/06/20/...etflix-sooner/

Need help with your Motorola DVR? Check the Wikibook: How to use a Motorola DVR
Old 06-20-2016, 07:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
No, they put ads with everything, but they have more show episodes for free without log ins from cable/sat providers, then many of the other networks.
The NBC app for Android isn't available for Android TV (yet) just their News app. It isn't even available for anything I own which is really odd.
Old 06-20-2016, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyross63 View Post
Just read a story that CW may be moving their recent episodes off of Hulu, and onto their own web site. In a slight plus, Netflix may get a full season only a few weeks after the season ends instead of a few months later.

This is the problem that the network goons are addicted to ad revenue. They should come down from their lofty towers to see what the public wants. If they all go off and start their own app driven networks (CW has had episodes available online for years) with ads then nobody will watch. The real solution is to change how you do ads. Nothing ruins a show, especially a well done drama than a stupid silly ad dropped in the middle of it. Yeah the marketing pukes thought their ad was really clever and might sell things but not when it breaks the mood of the show people are watching. People then are more likely to NOT want to buy the product.

The solution would probably be one set of ads at the beginning and maybe some at the end. Some European networks do this. PBS does this on some shows.

Then there is that little much overlooked matter that the public needs to have some spending money to buy things that are advertised.
reddice likes this.
Old 06-20-2016, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked: 490
Quote:
The NBC app for Android isn't available for Android TV (yet) just their News app. It isn't even available for anything I own which is really odd.
Apple TV ATV2 on up, Roku, and I think Fire TV. Android TV tends not to be on streaming boxes.

"If you build it they will come.." Ok, what is this "It" you speak of and who, are they???! Do I want to know?...
Old 06-20-2016, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Apple TV ATV2 on up, Roku, and I think Fire TV. Android TV tends not to be on streaming boxes.
Android TV is a streaming box. I have two of them: Nvidia Shield TV and the Asus Nexus TV. But the app isn't even available for my phone though it has the required version of Android.
Old 06-20-2016, 09:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2335 Post(s)
Liked: 1256
Quote:

The NBC Android app works with Chromecast (or at least my Chromecast 2)--you have one of those, don't you? The app works on both my LG phone, running Android 4.4.2 and my Lenovo tablet, running Android 5.0.1; I can cast to Chromecast 2 from either.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
Old 06-20-2016, 09:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 546 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyross63 View Post

No reason to keep Hulu then. Will be dropping it once my rates go up to $12 after my prepaid card runs out in November.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Cats are the best pets.
Old 06-21-2016, 05:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 756 Post(s)
Liked: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddice View Post
No reason to keep Hulu then. Will be dropping it once my rates go up to $12 after my prepaid card runs out in November.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
yeah im seriously considering dropping hulu now. I have the ability to either DVR OTA CW channel or watch on the CW app. Was using Hulu as a stop gap if I didn't get an episode recorded. Guess there's no reason now.
reddice likes this.

Last edited by metalsaber; 06-21-2016 at 11:53 AM.
Old 06-21-2016, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
The NBC Android app works with Chromecast (or at least my Chromecast 2)--you have one of those, don't you? The app works on both my LG phone, running Android 4.4.2 and my Lenovo tablet, running Android 5.0.1; I can cast to Chromecast 2 from either.
The listing on Google Play shows "incompatible with all of your devices". Minimum Android version is shown as 4.1 and my phone is 4.3. All other devices have even higher versions including 6. I would be able to cast from a PC browser. If one is going to do that they might as well screen capture the show and skip the commercials when playing back on a device.

The Amazon Fire TV is also an Android TV device (I don't have one). Interfaces for Android TV need to be made for up/down/right/left navigation. There is the "leanback" SDK element for that to make such development easier.
Old 06-21-2016, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 546 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Did not see this coming. Guess I will end up keeping Hulu.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...ng-push-903554

So Netflix Disney movie deal is really like drinking sour milk or eating rotten food and too me was a waste of money. Rather our rates be lower and the Disney movies remained on Starz.
http://www.snopes.com/netflix-disney-collection/

Also Netflix gets more CW content sooner after the season finishes so I will be keeping Netflix too.
http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...nap-story.html

Then Amazon has exclusive Doctor Who an other BBC series that use to be on Hulu and Netflix.

I hate having too pay for three streaming services but with these bonehead moves I have no choice.

Cats are the best pets.
Old 06-21-2016, 05:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2335 Post(s)
Liked: 1256
Quote:
The Amazon Fire TV is also an Android TV device (I don't have one). Interfaces for Android TV need to be made for up/down/right/left navigation. There is the "leanback" SDK element for that to make such development easier.

Of course, it's not a Google Cast device, given the war between Amazon and Google. You can cast Netflix and YouTube to it using the DIAL protocols which they developed before YouTube belonged to Google, but if I hit the cast control on any other app the only 1st screen target I find is my Chromecast. (For Netflix and YouTube a bunch of DIAL devices pop up--Roku 3, this TV, TiVo Bolt, Fire TV Stick, Xbox One--if it's turned on--as well as Chromecast for which I assume that they'd use Google Cast protocols).

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
Old 06-21-2016, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddice View Post

So Netflix Disney movie deal is really like drinking sour milk or eating rotten food and too me was a waste of money. Rather our rates be lower and the Disney movies remained on Starz.
http://www.snopes.com/netflix-disney-collection/

I hate having too pay for three streaming services but with these bonehead moves I have no choice.
How is the Disney deal like drinking sour milk? The company simply switched from one monthly subscription pay TV service to another. You have both, so you're not losing out on anything.
And Netflix' subscription fee would have gone up regardless, as their cost of operating has ballooned way beyond any reasonable expectation. Consider that HBO's content budget has hovered in the $2 billion range for years, while Netflix is shelling out $5 billion this year alone, and for movies most internet posters (constantly) complain (for over 6 years) aren't good enough for them.

They are being gouged by the studios who are doing everything possible to negatively impact their success at this new fangled streaming business.

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
Old 06-22-2016, 01:13 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Netflix is still an insane bargain considering how much you get. Can't believe people are complaining about an extra $2 a month.
Old 07-06-2016, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Noticed yesterday that Hulu is available again on Linux on Chrome. Originally it was there and worked on Firefox but then began complaining that I needed the latest version of Flash though Adobe no longer supports Linux. On Chrome I would get a message that I needed to use a browser that worked with protected content. So I was expecting that yesterday when I just wanted to watch a movie trailer to see if I had seen the film. Not only did the trailer play but so did the movie. Makes sense since their tech guy favors Chrome technology and the player is HTML5.
Old 07-12-2016, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 489 Post(s)
Liked: 479
Just used the PS3 app and noticed it has the watchlist now. Finally i can remove shows from my list. It was so annoying just looking at a few seconds of something and have it added to your list and can't remove it.

Netflix needs this instead of having to do it on the website. Our phones are easily accessible, but still the convenience of doing it from the app is better.
reddice likes this.

home theater addict
Old 07-13-2016, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Finished the final episode of "Banished" last night. Excellent BBC series about early life in the Australian penal colonies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement