post #91 of 163 Old 01-22-2014, 01:04 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post

I finished season one of "The Bridge" SE last night. What a great series! And the streaming quality was great for every episode. I do have to agree that the FX version fell short of the Danish/Swedish episodes, probably because they had to pad it out to 13 episodes.
That, and I think they(FX version) struggled with how exactly to portray the lead female character, they tried to get a little too cute and nuanced with the character. As you've just discovered, Sofia Helin is spectacular in the role.

Also glad to hear the quality was very good, was waiting to hear before recommending it to family members who are not multi-region enabled.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 163 Old 01-22-2014, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

That, and I think they(FX version) struggled with how exactly to portray the lead female character, they tried to get a little too cute and nuanced with the character. As you've just discovered, Sofia Helin is spectacular in the role.
Without getting into spoilers it wound up to be an expose about two archetypes: the cerebral Saga and the emotional Martin and how this directs their actions in the storyline. This didn't stand out so much in the FX version. Also thought that the idea of a cop with 'aspergers' may have been thought not to sell too well in the US.
post #93 of 163 Old 01-22-2014, 02:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 480
I watched the first episode of the original The Bridge on Netflix from the UK region a couple of days ago and it didn't really grab me. I may give it another try. I'd started watching the original The Killing, having finished the US remake a few weeks back and quit after realizing that the remake was extremely faithful to the original.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #94 of 163 Old 01-23-2014, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

I think it takes a while to get into the original version. Did you see the FX version. They added more to the story of the rich woman to help pad out episodes to 13.
post #95 of 163 Old 01-23-2014, 12:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 480
Quote:

I think it takes a while to get into the original version. Did you see the FX version. They added more to the story of the rich woman to help pad out episodes to 13.

I didn't see the FX version of The Bridge; I just tried the Danish/Swedish version. I left off on the first or second episode; it ended with... Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
a fake bomb scare

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #96 of 163 Old 02-13-2014, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

The other night watching the latest episode of "The Following" after 10 PM I got NO ads. I also saw this last week watching "Agents of Shield" after 10 PM. Anyone else notice this on shows viewed after 10 PM? Perhaps no one wants to pay for spots at that time?
post #97 of 163 Old 02-17-2014, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Hulu apparently added the UK channel 4 series "Run" on Saturday. Nice PQ and probably 1080p. There are 4 episodes and Lennie James is in it. Excellent show.
post #98 of 163 Old 02-23-2014, 08:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Trying to cut the cord here. I gotta tell you, it sucks. I'm having a hard time. Signed up for Hulu+ and right off the bat, it doesn't have two of the shows I want. It has a paltry 3 shows from the Syfy channel. With Continuum starting up soon, I'm getting a bit nervous. I think I overestimated Hulu's abundance of shows.

Growing Older But Not Up
post #99 of 163 Old 02-24-2014, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

Trying to cut the cord here. I gotta tell you, it sucks. I'm having a hard time. Signed up for Hulu+ and right off the bat, it doesn't have two of the shows I want. It has a paltry 3 shows from the Syfy channel. With Continuum starting up soon, I'm getting a bit nervous. I think I overestimated Hulu's abundance of shows.

Yes you did. Hulu+ doesn't have anywhere near the catalog to replace cable TV. I cut the cord a few months ago and am doing fine with the shows I do watch.

If there is a show I want to watch that isn't on Hulu+ it's usually available to purchase on Amazon. You still need Netflix streaming and maybe Amazon Prime to survive cord cutting.

Still cheaper than cable HDTV.
gonzo90017 likes this.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #100 of 163 Old 02-24-2014, 11:08 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

I think I overestimated Hulu's abundance of shows.

It's more the networks/content providers are becoming more stingy with content than they were three years ago. And they'd rather derive ad-revenue via their own websites than let Hulu get it.

The biggest reason I subscribe to Hulu Plus is access to Comedy Central (Daily Show, Colbert and South Park) South Park now has a 21 day delay before posting to Hulu, which really sucks, and I don't expect the next-day availability of Colbert/Daily to last long either.

At least they're not requiring cable subscriber authentication.... yet.
post #101 of 163 Old 02-24-2014, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Look up the Syfy shows on the Hulu website. You'll see as I said earlier they may play a couple episodes the day after when a season starts up to get you interested but the rest of the series will be delayed a month and only playable on a computer (which of course you can "mirror" or "cast" to your TV if so set up or even if you have HDMI out). But Syfy.com also does that with episodes too.

Hulu has ABC, NBC and FOX participating as well as CW. I catch shows like "The Following", "Almost Human" and "Agents of S.H.I.E.D" there among others. "Supernatural" looks just as good on Hulu+ as it ever did on cable. I hit the mute button when the insipid commercials play. BUT, sometimes if I watch an episode late at nigh the scene ends where they usually go to an ad and the next scene (writers now call these acts as in a series being 5 or 6 acts per episode). IOW, sometime no ads at all. The movies generally have no ads and they have the Criterion Collection which has a lot of good films.

The only thing I am concerned about is them increasing the number of ads on an ad break.
post #102 of 163 Old 02-25-2014, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by calculon68 View Post

Cable subscriber authentication sucks the big one.

Earthlink Standard powered by Time Warner Cable Brooklyn.
ASUS RT-N66W Router 374.43 (Merlin Build) using OpenDNS.
Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV 3, Roku 3, Sony PS3 Slim, Sony PS4 all Wired. Chromecast Wireless.
Toshiba 39L2300U 39-Inch 1080p. Nexus 5 on T-Mobile and
Nexus 7 (2013).
Cats are the best pets.
post #103 of 163 Old 02-25-2014, 10:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:

They have for about a year now, on hulu.com anyway, not hulu plus: http://www.hulu.com/support/article/24194057

OTA | Netflix | Hulu+ | Amazon Prime | MLB.tv & MLS Live with No Blackouts!
post #104 of 163 Old 02-25-2014, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post

Yes you did. Hulu+ doesn't have anywhere near the catalog to replace cable TV. I cut the cord a few months ago and am doing fine with the shows I do watch.

If there is a show I want to watch that isn't on Hulu+ it's usually available to purchase on Amazon. You still need Netflix streaming and maybe Amazon Prime to survive cord cutting.

Still cheaper than cable HDTV.

Quote:

It's more the networks/content providers are becoming more stingy with content than they were three years ago. And they'd rather derive ad-revenue via their own websites than let Hulu get it.

The biggest reason I subscribe to Hulu Plus is access to Comedy Central (Daily Show, Colbert and South Park) South Park now has a 21 day delay before posting to Hulu, which really sucks, and I don't expect the next-day availability of Colbert/Daily to last long either.

Quote:

Look up the Syfy shows on the Hulu website. You'll see as I said earlier they may play a couple episodes the day after when a season starts up to get you interested but the rest of the series will be delayed a month and only playable on a computer (which of course you can "mirror" or "cast" to your TV if so set up or even if you have HDMI out). But Syfy.com also does that with episodes too.

Hulu has ABC, NBC and FOX participating as well as CW. I catch shows like "The Following", "Almost Human" and "Agents of S.H.I.E.D" there among others. "Supernatural" looks just as good on Hulu+ as it ever did on cable. I hit the mute button when the insipid commercials play. BUT, sometimes if I watch an episode late at nigh the scene ends where they usually go to an ad and the next scene (writers now call these acts as in a series being 5 or 6 acts per episode). IOW, sometime no ads at all. The movies generally have no ads and they have the Criterion Collection which has a lot of good films.

The only thing I am concerned about is them increasing the number of ads on an ad break.

Thanks for all the info guys. It's much appreciated.smile.gif

If Hulu+ just had the current AMC and Syfy shows, I'd be golden. Alas, that's just not in the cards.

I have Amazon Prime and have found their selection lacking. Everything I want to watch they also want $3 for.

One other item, why does Hulu+ only have 5 shows of The Blacklist?

Growing Older But Not Up
post #105 of 163 Old 02-25-2014, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't know why they don't keep episodes around but don't forget they also license them without ads to the pay services like Amazon, VUDU, iTunes and Google Play. Maybe that's why. Also what people have to remember as to why if you pay for Hulu+ you still get ads. Also when you buy episodes on the pay services you "own" them so could watch seasons of Blacklist 5 years from now without paying again.
post #106 of 163 Old 02-25-2014, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 51

Hulu is co owned by Fox, ABC/Disney, and NBC/Comcast (and a few other non media/studio partners). They carved out a release window of 4 to 5 current season episodes up at one time, to protect disc and syndication sales. If one could have access to all episodes up to the last one aired, on this or any service, that would definately discourage you from buying the box set after the season ended.

And buyers (such as cable networks and Netflix, Amazon, etc) would be less inclinded to pay top dollar for the reruns. So they purposely keep current eps to a minimum.

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #107 of 163 Old 03-02-2014, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

And unfortunately "Hannibal" is licensed for mobile or TV so it isn't going to work with Chromecast except to "cast" the tab to the TV which works though a little jerky because it may not be possible to get more than 10 frames per second out of Windows though though I can get true frame rate on Linux. So it looks teleconferenced.
post #108 of 163 Old 03-02-2014, 06:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Has anyone else noticed that hulu plus has lowered the audio quality on HD (720p) streams lately?

This started about 3 weeks ago. Previously, the 1500K, 2000K, 2500K, and 3200K 720p streams all had 128k 48KHz aac stereo audio. Now they all have 64k 48KHz aac stereo audio.

Why would they do this? It seems to save only tiniest about of file size. How much worse is 64k compared to 128k?

This is for content accessed by webplayer. I don't know if there has been any change in set-top device or mobile.
post #109 of 163 Old 03-03-2014, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Not noticing any change on the TV streams. Maybe it is to reduce the number of file they need to encode for desktop and mobile when maybe just baseline mobile will do for both. Many people don't have much in the way of speakers on their desktops anyway.
post #110 of 163 Old 03-06-2014, 09:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, Not as far east as Vegas
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by buttplug View Post

Has anyone else noticed that hulu plus has lowered the audio quality on HD (720p) streams lately?

This started about 3 weeks ago. Previously, the 1500K, 2000K, 2500K, and 3200K 720p streams all had 128k 48KHz aac stereo audio. Now they all have 64k 48KHz aac stereo audio.

Why would they do this? It seems to save only tiniest about of file size. How much worse is 64k compared to 128k?

This is for content accessed by webplayer. I don't know if there has been any change in set-top device or mobile.
Doesn't seem any different on Apple TV, my guess it would be the case for Roku's also. There might be something weird going with web player, what browser are you using.

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)
post #111 of 163 Old 03-13-2014, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Argh! Hulu seems to be increasing the number of ads so they run 2 minutes instead of 1 on TV shows. ABC is running as many as 4 spots on a break. Weird thing is that they will also seem to get stuck (pause) for a few seconds in the middle of an ad and then continue. I don't see that kind of behavior during the shows. I do occasionally get some rebuffering at the beginning of a show segment but I think that they are doing a new ploy to try to start the shows fast rather than spend a few seconds filling the buffer. It isn't working that well. On Amazon they tend to fill the buffer as much as a minute's worth of video before they begin playing (on my Sony BD player it shows a progress bar). That allows them leeway during congestion to keep the show going without dropping to a lower resolution or rebuffering. This is a very dynamic technology where companies are constantly experimenting to improve the user end experience.
post #112 of 163 Old 03-14-2014, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Argh! Hulu seems to be increasing the number of ads so they run 2 minutes instead of 1 on TV shows. ABC is running as many as 4 spots on a break. Weird thing is that they will also seem to get stuck (pause) for a few seconds in the middle of an ad and then continue. I don't see that kind of behavior during the shows. I do occasionally get some rebuffering at the beginning of a show segment but I think that they are doing a new ploy to try to start the shows fast rather than spend a few seconds filling the buffer. It isn't working that well. On Amazon they tend to fill the buffer as much as a minute's worth of video before they begin playing (on my Sony BD player it shows a progress bar). That allows them leeway during congestion to keep the show going without dropping to a lower resolution or rebuffering. This is a very dynamic technology where companies are constantly experimenting to improve the user end experience.

I am not noticing the same thing in my location, at least not yet. The (2-3) ads run around one minute. I have been using/testing the ATV3 since the last firmware install a few days ago. I watched episodes of Jon Stewart, Colbert Report and Agents of Shield last night, all loaded and played flawlessly - something that wasn't true before the update. I noticed during Shield that it even seemed to skip a commercial which I've seen from time to time in other shows.

One new thing I've noticed (going back a few months) is that the TV shows are tailored for my area. The shows often have the local TV stations logos in the lower right hand corner and the commercials are sometimes tied to the local market. Obviously Hulu+ looks at my device's IP address and using geo-location figures out what to stream to me.

post #113 of 163 Old 03-18-2014, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Canceled my Hulu+ subscription. Wasn't doing it for me.

Growing Older But Not Up
post #114 of 163 Old 03-18-2014, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Last year they had a few movies pop up that were worth watching (no ads on movies) but is seems slow this year. They still have Criterion though. But I use Hulu+ as a replacement for basic cable. Only problem is that some of the NBC shows like "Hannibal" and "Crisis" don't have the rights for streaming for mobile or TV. Of course I can cast those from a browser to the TV. Then there is what I feared might happen that that is ad time creep with more spots. Soon it will be as bad as broadcast TV with 3 or 4 minute breaks. And when I had cable I DVR'd everything and 30 second skipped over ads. If everyone bought like I do then Madison Avenue would be vacant. biggrin.gif
post #115 of 163 Old 03-18-2014, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

I tried to like Hulu+. I really did. But they don't have any of the shows I want. And the show they do have that I want (Blacklist) they only have 5 episodes. I've been paying $3 per show from Amazon/Vudu. Had to close the wallet on Hulu.

Growing Older But Not Up
post #116 of 163 Old 03-19-2014, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

I think of Hulu+ as more of a DVR service that keeps a maximum of 4-5 shows before deleting the oldest episode. Yes it does have movies, Criterion collection and original programing but I access these a lot less than just keeping up with current shows. It doesn't have all of the cable channel shows like A&E, AMC, etc., but you can pick those up on Amazon Instant Video. It seems that eventually everything ends up on Netflix anyway. The first season of Longmire (recently added) is a good example, there are others.

As a cord cutter it helps fill in our viewing gap but it's not the complete answer. It is still a lot cheaper than the cable TV subscription I canceled. My commercial interruptions are presently only 1 minute, I've timed them. If anyone's are longer than this then it must vary by region.

post #117 of 163 Old 03-19-2014, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

The commercial freeze is happening on every break now. If I were an advertiser I would be upset. The freeze is often around 6 seconds. It's like they are conditioning us for longer ad breaks. The other bad part is the constant repeat of the same ads on breaks and some of them like Hulu's "Daily Burn" ad are really lame. I turn the sound off during ad breaks. The main reason I got Hulu+ other than the cable cutting factor was it works with Chromecast. Last fall ad breaks were only a minute or less. But I think advertisers may be waking up and buying more time on Hulu. Here's an article that says that cutting the cable is now having an impact:
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-03-19/u-s-pay-tv-subscriptions-fall-for-first-time-as-streaming-gains.html
post #118 of 163 Old 03-20-2014, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

I came across an interesting (.pdf) paper titled A Tale of Three CDNs: An Active Measurement Study of Hulu and Its CDNs.
Quote:
Abstract
— We study the Hulu online video service via active measurements. It is known that Hulu utilizes multiple CDNs to serve users’ video requests. The focus of this study is on how Hulu selects CDNs and how each CDN allocates resources (i.e., servers) to serve user requests. Based on our analysis of measurement data, we find that Hulu frequently changes preferred CDNs for users. However, once a CDN is selected, Hulu clients try to stay with the same CDN during the entire length of the movie even when performance of that CDN degrades. While the preferred CDN selection is not fixed, we observe that Hulu attempts to divide video requests among CDNs to attain a fixed target ratio. In terms of CDNs, we find that different CDNs employ different amounts of resources (servers) to serve Hulu content.

The 3 CDN's they refer to are Akamai, Limelight and Level 3. This may be out-dated information, not sure. There is no date on the study, as close as I can tell from the references it may have been published in 2012.

In my case Hulu+ servers are a little harder to pinpoint although I'm probably missing an IP along the way. Using Hulu+ briefly last night it looked like I was routed through my Time Warner provider servers in Washington, DC (107.14.46.57), then sent to the Hulu server in Los Angeles, CA (208.91.159.115) before arriving at an Akamai server (23.196.38.154) in Cambridge, MA.

post #119 of 163 Old 03-23-2014, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Just a note that "Line of Duty" season 2 was added yesterday and all episodes available if you're on Plus. This just a little over a month as it debuted in the UK.
post #120 of 163 Old 03-25-2014, 04:28 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I found some of the ad's to be extremely annoying ... like the chase gas station commercial. No pay tv service should have ad's or no way to ff through them. Most of these shows you can already watch through the network web site anyway for free. I still think the best way is a OTA dvr and if you do it on a pc no monthly fee's.
StinDaWg and reddice like this.
Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page